PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of US Cellular Field ("New Comiskey")

Hitmen77
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
The new park had its first game 20 years ago today (April 18, 1991 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199104180.shtml)).

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/18/20-years-ago-today-u-s-cellular-field-opens/

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb/white-sox/article_7bd19867-71e6-5eae-abb8-3babd576e092.html

It's hard to believe it's been 20 years already. The new park has now been around 1/4 as long as the old park was across the street. I know old memories can't be replaced, but the White Sox have created some good "new" memories over the last 2 decades: 2005, the Thomas/Ventura/McDowell era, the perfect game, the "blackout" game, Thome's 500th HR, and Ventura's walk off grand slam in 1991 are games that come to mind.

Happy Birthday, US Cellular Field! :happybday

PaleHoser
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
That was an ugly game. Just looked up the box score (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199104180.shtml). I forgot that Frank Tanana threw a complete game shutout. Would a manager be second-guessed today for leaving his starter in to pitch a complete game in a 16-0 blowout in April?

My enduring memories from that game:

Last time I ever sat in the upper deck. We made it through the first half inning before going downstairs and watching from the concourse.
By the sixth inning you had your pick of seats in the lower deck because all the VIP's had left.

Jim Shorts
04-18-2011, 09:44 AM
The seats I sat in that day no longer exist.

It was cold windy and scary up in the 3rd row from the last in the upper tank.

Getting shut out sucked too.

Chez
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
The seats I sat in that day no longer exist.

It was cold windy and scary up in the 3rd row from the last in the upper tank.

Getting shut out sucked too.

Sounds like we sat near each other! I was seated right by the right field foul pole. I left in the 2d inning to get food, by the time I got back to my seats (about 75 minutes later), the Tigers had scored 14 runs.

Fenway
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I watched on WGN and remember Hawk's mood got darker as the Tigers kept scoring.

Finally got to the park in July - stunned by the half torn down Comiskey and we were in the upperdeck and I was shocked at how high it was.

Still I wrote it off to that is what new ballparks have to be....then a year later I went to Camden Yards :?:

Comiskey II was designed very much like SkyDome (Rogers Centre) with the concourse. HOK of course changed their ways after Janet Marie Smith told them what the Orioles wanted - she changed everything.

The Cell, Skydome and Trop were the last of the cookie cutters....

SI1020
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
That was an ugly game. Just looked up the box score (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199104180.shtml). I forgot that Frank Tanana threw a complete game shutout. Would a manager be second-guessed today for leaving his starter in to pitch a complete game in a 16-0 blowout in April?

Last time I ever sat in the upper deck. We made it through the first half inning before going downstairs and watching from the concourse.
By the sixth inning you had your pick of seats in the lower deck because all the VIP's had left.

It would probably be suggested that any manager doing that be brought up on criminal charges. If any time in the next 5 years the pitcher suffered any kind of injury the manager would be blamed for it.

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
That was not my first game, but my first game took place four days later. I attended the first night game at the new ballpark which took place the following Monday. The Sox beat the Orioles, and Frank Thomas hit a three-run blast IIRC. I was among a group of Loyola students at the game that night. We sat in the upper deck behind home plate, and we thought the view was great that night.

TheOldRoman
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the Tribune's special anniversary pull-out section, New Comiskey at 20: Dybas, Ligue, and Bullet Holes in Seats.

roylestillman
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
That was not my first game, but my first game took place four days later. I attended the first night game at the new ballpark which took place the following Monday. The Sox beat the Orioles, and Frank Thomas hit a three-run blast IIRC. I was among a group of Loyola students at the game that night. We sat in the upper deck behind home plate, and we thought the view was great that night.

Do you remember that bizarre fireworks show after the first night game that included fireworks coming out of that cropduster plane that was buzzing the field? Nice idea on paper, but it had "as God is my witness, I never knew turkeys couldn't fly" written all over it.

I can't believe that was 20 years ago. My distinct memory was the sight of sharp shooters at various positions on top of and near the park guarding, of all people, Dan Quayle.

Max Power
04-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I remember getting home from school and turning on the game. Even though the Sox were getting killed I watched the rest of the game so I could see as much as possible of the new stadium. I thought it looked great then. Now my eyes hurt when I see pictures of the pre-renovation stadium.

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I remember the first game I attended there. It wasn't the opener, but maybe the third game or something like that. My friend and I bought bleacher seats (they were only $6, as I recall) and it was initially set up to where you could not walk around the rest of the park if you had a bleacher seat. They had gates back there and people who would check your ticket stubs if you wanted to leave the bleacher area. That was annoying since I was dying to walk around the rest of the park. Thank God they don't do that anymore!

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

C-Dawg
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I was at Game 2, the Saturday game in which the Sox lost something like 2-1 or 3-1 to the Tigers. It was funny milling around outside before the gates opened; I ran into another friend and his sister and when we compared tickets we discovered they were seated about two rows behind us. Small world I guess!

A year later, and right around the same weekend, the Loop experienced its tunnel flood and the downtown buildings were evacuated. Years later, radio legend Steve Dahl got his years mixed up and thought they both happened at the same time. For a long time, every time the subject of the first game at New Comiskey came up, he mentioned the Loop flood happening at the same time. Steve, I love ya, but the flood was in 1992, not 1991. Don't need the Tribune pinning that one on the Sox too.

Jerko
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
I remember the first game I attended there. It wasn't the opener, but maybe the third game or something like that. My friend and I bought bleacher seats (they were only $6, as I recall) and it was initially set up to where you could not walk around the rest of the park if you had a bleacher seat. They had gates back there and people who would check your ticket stubs if you wanted to leave the bleacher area. That was annoying since I was dying to walk around the rest of the park. Thank God they don't do that anymore!

While I do agree with the upper deck policy, I hated those friggin gates.

jdm2662
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I remember watching the game in school (I was in 8th grade). Not exactly a fond memory as a Sox fan...

My first game at the new park was an early May night game. I remember two things. Corey Synder striking out about five times, and Sammy Sosa hitting a walk off HR. Of course, my father didn't want to stay for extra innings, so we left after Synder struck out yet again. When we got into the parking lot, we saw the fireworks. sure enough, Sosa hit the first pitch out leading off the bottom of the 10th.

The next year, I got to sit in the club level seats. It was in the middle of June, and it was the coldest summer in my lifetime (1992). Chicago broke a record low of 33 or something night. Earlier, I got to see them play in the Metrodome. That was signficant because they lost seven in a row before the game I went to at Comiskey. (They won 4-2 at the dome behind McDowell).

The next year, my only game was Carlton Fisk's last game. As a 16-year-old, I thought Bo riding a Harley out of CF was pretty damn cool. Hell, it still is. After that, I didn't go to a game for another six years.

Hitmen77
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM

One of my favorite spots to watch a game at the Cell is actually in row 1 or 2 of the upper deck somewhere between the on-deck spots. Those seats offer a great view that is better (IMO) than many spots in the lower deck.

I watched on WGN and remember Hawk's mood got darker as the Tigers kept scoring.

Finally got to the park in July - stunned by the half torn down Comiskey and we were in the upperdeck and I was shocked at how high it was.

Still I wrote it off to that is what new ballparks have to be....then a year later I went to Camden Yards :?:

I've never been to Camden Yards, but I have been to a few of the new "retro" parks and their upper decks are just as high as the Cell's. The biggest problem with new Comiskey's UD (especially pre-renovation) wasn't the height, but rather that the entrance to the seating area was at the bottom. It was a hell of a climb to get up to row 29. The entrance from the concourse is still at the bottom, of course, but having the structure end at 2/3 of the way of the original structure makes a huge difference. The new roof makes a huge difference of how the UD looks and feels. Yeah, the seats are in the same spot, but it no longer feels like you are way up in the sky.

Other new parks that I have been to have nosebleed seats that are just as bad as the worst seats in New Comiskey, but often have the entrance from the concourse somewhere about halfway up the deck so that people don't have to feel like they're climbing Everest to get to the last row. This made a huge difference in perception.

New Comiskey was never able to live down the stigma of the upper deck. People avoided going to Sox games as if every seat in the house was in the last row of the upper deck and the media kept hammering away at the "upper deck" mantra. This didn't change until the US Cellular renovation.

It's amazing how much different the park looks and feels now after the US Cellular renovations were completed - not just for the upper deck, but just the look and feel of the entire park.

Comiskey II was designed very much like SkyDome (Rogers Centre) with the concourse. HOK of course changed their ways after Janet Marie Smith told them what the Orioles wanted - she changed everything.

The Cell might not be a retro park, but I think it's a bit harsh to lump it in with the other two facilities. Rogers Centre and the Trop both have artificial surfaces. Rogers Centre is a multipurpose facility and the Trop has a permanent, fixed roof. It may have missed the boat on the retro-park era, but New Comiskey, when it opened, was the first new baseball-only facility in MLB since Royals Stadium in 1973. When I think of "cookie cutters", I think of places like Veterans and Riverfront Stadium.

Over By There
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM

The Cell has gotten to be a progressively better place over the years, and for all the criticism it's gotten in those 20 years, I really like our park.

WhiteSox5187
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
It's a nice park now and a nice place to watch a game, but up until the renovations it was one of the ugliest parks in baseball for awhile. They have done a good job with it now though.

Hitmen77
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
A couple of more articles from the NW Indiana Times marking 20 years since the new park opened:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb/white-sox/article_08c09b25-1ef3-5616-99bd-dfca350b12b0.html

Bossard article:
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb/white-sox/article_76211470-e9ab-5aa9-a228-9bc67c0d856a.html

dickallen15
04-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Actually HOK offered JR basically the same park as Camden Yards, but JR wanted it symetrical. After all the renovations, the club levels at both parks are supposedly identical now.

downstairs
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I still have a ticket to the first game, it was a huge blue ticket with silver and black print- pretty cool. Got it from my dad's friend.

Me and my dad went to game two... didn't win that one either.

Sad
04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I was there for the Sunday game-
their first win...

the Detroit RF dropped or misplayed a fly ball IIRC
:bandance:

Fenway
04-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Actually HOK offered JR basically the same park as Camden Yards, but JR wanted it symetrical. After all the renovations, the club levels at both parks are supposedly identical now.

It has been said that all JR did was take the blueprints for the pipe dream in Addison and planted them on 35th St.

Thank goodness that never happened.....they would have lost any fan living in the city itself.

ewokpelts
04-18-2011, 01:29 PM
It has been said that all JR did was take the blueprints for the pipe dream in Addison and planted them on 35th St.

Thank goodness that never happened.....they would have lost any fan living in the city itself.
too bad the cubs never moved to that plot of land that the tribsters still own in addison

johnnyg83
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I had a partial season upper deck plan that first year that included the opener. Long day. Exciting though. I remember lots of pop ups that I looked down on.

I think the criticism of the UD is justified. Two levels of suites plus the clubs? Too much.

Red Barchetta
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
After attending the last series in Old Comiskey, the first thing I really noticed about Comiskey II was how the crowd noise tended to immediately disappear. It was like the ballpark did not contain any noise.

After the fantastic renovations by US Cellular, the original Comiskey II looks so sterile and boring by comparison. The ballpark in it's current form and with the future planned development around the ballpark is a very inviting baseball experience.

I can't believe it's already been 20 years. :?:

WhiteSox5187
04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
After attending the last series in Old Comiskey, the first thing I really noticed about Comiskey II was how the crowd noise tended to immediately disappear. It was like the ballpark did not contain any noise.

After the fantastic renovations by US Cellular, the original Comiskey II looks so sterile and boring by comparison. The ballpark in it's current form and with the future planned development around the ballpark is a very inviting baseball experience.

I can't believe it's already been 20 years. :?:

That was something that a lot of my family commented on too, my aunt was there when they clinched in 1993 and was amazed by how relatively quiet the place was compared to the old ball park. She attributed that to the roof (or lack there of at New Comiskey).

Hitmen77
04-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I had a partial season upper deck plan that first year that included the opener. Long day. Exciting though. I remember lots of pop ups that I looked down on.

I think the criticism of the UD is justified. Two levels of suites plus the clubs? Too much.

Are there still some unfinished, empty suites at the park? I remember seeing this as recently as a few years ago, but haven't paid attention to it the last couple of years. I recall hearing this was because there never was enough demand for skyboxes to fill the entire space available in the 200 and 400 levels.

If that's correct, then why not convert those to some other form of premium seating (like they did with the Jim Beam, er... "Gold Coast Tickets" Club) instead of letting them sit empty after all this time?

Hitmen77
04-18-2011, 02:35 PM

That was something that a lot of my family commented on too, my aunt was there when they clinched in 1993 and was amazed by how relatively quiet the place was compared to the old ball park. She attributed that to the roof (or lack there of at New Comiskey).

Scott Reifert mentions the increased loudness with the new roof in the article I linked to in my previous post.

Noneck
04-18-2011, 02:57 PM
I remember first going to the new park. The steepness of the upper deck and how high up the upper deck was in comparison to Comiskey. I didn't like the view and still don't. As someone said, the crowd noise was nonexistent and you didn't even feel like you were part of the game. I heard it is better now but I will never know because Ill never sit up there again.

Fenway
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
ALL of the new arenas have that same problem.....

club seats and 2 or 3 levels of boxes......

Noneck
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM

I know that but anyone that was in the old upper deck at Comiskey should realize the new upper deck at the new park is no treat.

palehozenychicty
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Wow, twenty years already. I remember we went to a game (I think?) against the Rangers that year and had one of the old upper deck seats. Had to stop all that in the future. :o:

MrT27
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I was 5 at the time and it was my first baseball game ever. I don't remember much but I do remember being in the very last row of the upper deck, the cold, and watching the Old Comiskey being torn down from one of the ramps.

thomas35forever
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Is the park 20 years old already? It doesn't even look that old. 60 more years to go before it's replaced.

GoSox2K3
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Having the upper levels pushed higher for luxury levels is the downside of "progress". But it's not all bad news at the new park.

People forget how many obstructed seats there were at old Comiskey (and other parks of that era). I wasn't at the old park too many times, but was there enough to experience seats that had some really bad obstructions.

I remember first going to the new park. The steepness of the upper deck and how high up the upper deck was in comparison to Comiskey. I didn't like the view and still don't. As someone said, the crowd noise was nonexistent and you didn't even feel like you were part of the game. I heard it is better now but I will never know because Ill never sit up there again.

I know that but anyone that was in the old upper deck at Comiskey should realize the new upper deck at the new park is no treat.

There were lousy seats in the old park too. Let's not pretend that all seats at the old place were a treat and that all seats in the current UD suck. In the new park, I'd take a seat in the first 6 or so rows of Section 535 over a seat in Section 109 at the Cell without hesitation.

Yeah, those seats way up in the higher rows of the UD once you get past 1B and 3B do suck. But it's not like the old park, Camden Yards, Wrigley, or whatever park people love to romanticize about has/had great seats once you get past the first 30,000 or so "best available".

GoSox2K3
04-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the Tribune's special anniversary pull-out section, New Comiskey at 20: Dybas, Ligue, and Bullet Holes in Seats.

:rolling:

Let's not forget "Ten Worst Moments at New Comiskey/The Cell" by Paul Sullivan.

Of course, such a pullout section would probably include an article that explains how 20 years of the Cell makes us all love and appreciate Wrigley Field all that much more.:tongue:

Soxfest
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I will always miss Old Comiskey Park, new park never has had the same feel IMO :(:

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Do you remember that bizarre fireworks show after the first night game that included fireworks coming out of that cropduster plane that was buzzing the field? Nice idea on paper, but it had "as God is my witness, I never knew turkeys couldn't fly" written all over it.

I can't believe that was 20 years ago. My distinct memory was the sight of sharp shooters at various positions on top of and near the park guarding, of all people, Dan Quayle.

I do remember that. When it came, we were like "*** is this?" In retrospect, it had to be an ill-conceived Gallas gimmick gone bad.

Fenway
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
It was bland in 1991

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3185771102_5e223f88f7_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2952766318_78c4bd0c6b_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2952766310_c761fecfda_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3303/3212236827_88f8d7f252.jpg

and across the street :whiner:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/2952766332_52fcbd1057_z.jpg

hi im skot
04-18-2011, 04:45 PM

I love the upper deck. :shrug:

Fenway
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2431145777_42254aa783_z.jpg

Medford Bobby
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Yea I went to that first night game too...but forgot about the strange firework display...also Frank Thomas had his first HR at that ball park.

Opening day I was at the 8th District doing odd ball police aide paperwork listening to the game on the radio. I still do have the WGN tape somewhere but have never looked at it.....

Hendu
04-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I was there for the Sunday game-
their first win...

the Detroit RF dropped or misplayed a fly ball IIRC

Rob Deere I believe. That was my first game at the new park as well.

It's amazing how much better the park looks post-renovations.

Noneck
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I love the upper deck. :shrug:

Were you ever in the 1st 10-15 rows in the so called Old Comiskey, between 1st and 3rd?

anewman35
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Were you ever in the 1st 10-15 rows in the so called Old Comiskey, between 1st and 3rd?

Just because something in the old park might have been better does not mean that the new park is bad.

I agree with another poster - I'd take good upper deck seats over bad lower deck seats any day.

Noneck
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Just because something in the old park might have been better does not mean that the new park is bad.

I agree with another poster - I'd take good upper deck seats over bad lower deck seats any day.

I never said the new park is bad, just that I dont like any seat in the upper deck.

Woofer
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
A piece of me dies when I see pictures of the old park being torn down. It's still shocking to me twenty years later. Everytime I go to a game I look at that parking lot and tell myself, the park used to be right there! If I am walking or driving on 35th, and come up under the traintrack viaduct, I always take a glimpse that way to see if I can get just one more look at it, like the ghost of a long lost loved one. It was a place that I had great times as a kid. I will always miss it.

Comiskey Park II has grown on me over the years. The changes in the last decade have really helped the place. Though I always defended it to others, the upper deck was way too high. It still is, but if I'm up there and in the first 10 rows, it's not too bad. I love the upper deck overhang, and the combination of dark gray, black and green seats. I've had great times, and I've seen alot of great baseball there. It feels like home to me, and I'm very proud that my sons love going with me as much as I love taking them. My family was at the game on Saturday, which was my wifes birthday. We endured a 2 hour rain delay, and watched bad Sox baseball in the 35 degree weather. And there was no place that we would have rather been.:smile:

ewokpelts
04-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Are there still some unfinished, empty suites at the park? I remember seeing this as recently as a few years ago, but haven't paid attention to it the last couple of years. I recall hearing this was because there never was enough demand for skyboxes to fill the entire space available in the 200 and 400 levels.

If that's correct, then why not convert those to some other form of premium seating (like they did with the Jim Beam, er... "Gold Coast Tickets" Club) instead of letting them sit empty after all this time?the new press box occupies said unnocupied space.

the sox have also used the excess suite areas for auxillary press boxes. that's why there was no seating lost for the all star game or world series.

ewokpelts
04-19-2011, 02:02 AM
I remember first going to the new park. The steepness of the upper deck and how high up the upper deck was in comparison to Comiskey. I didn't like the view and still don't. As someone said, the crowd noise was nonexistent and you didn't even feel like you were part of the game. I heard it is better now but I will never know because Ill never sit up there again.and people complain that the price of bleacher seats keep going up.

ewokpelts
04-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Were you ever in the 1st 10-15 rows in the so called Old Comiskey, between 1st and 3rd?and how good were the corner outfield seats in the last row?

has anyon found it interesting that the 200 level at wrigley costs LESS than the 400 level? it's becuase the view in the 400 level is BETTER.

old stadiums have subpar lower level seats the further you go back. but hey, let's rip the new places upper decks becuase they arent as intimate.

doublem23
04-19-2011, 05:37 AM
and how good were the corner outfield seats in the last row?

has anyon found it interesting that the 200 level at wrigley costs LESS than the 400 level? it's becuase the view in the 400 level is BETTER.

old stadiums have subpar lower level seats the further you go back. but hey, let's rip the new places upper decks becuase they arent as intimate.

My favorite seats in the 200 level at Wrigley are the ones where you get a nice metal pole between you and the pitcher or batter. Who would want to watch them during a game?

OLD TIME BASE BALL!

C-Dawg
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Yep. Some of the worst seats at Wrigley are waaaay in back in the lower level. Its like peering out through a slot to see the field.

dickallen15
04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
the new press box occupies said unnocupied space.

the sox have also used the excess suite areas for auxillary press boxes. that's why there was no seating lost for the all star game or world series.

Incorrect. The new press box took up some suites that were finished but not selling. The unfinished suites were farther down the line in LF and RF.

Hitmen77
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't follow the logic here. Just because those were some of the best seats in the old park (which had more than it's share of bad seats) and can't be beat in today's UD, you refuse to ever set foot in the upper deck of the new park even though some of the rows in the UD between 1st and 3rd are still good seats. :scratch:

I guess that's fine if you always have access to and are willing to pay extra for something like premium lower box to get better seats. When I'm buying tickets for games I chose location based on availability/price/location to find the best spot for me at the Cell. UD is part of that consideration. I'm not eliminating good seats today by comparing them to ghost seats from 20 years ago.

My favorite seats in the 200 level at Wrigley are the ones where you get a nice metal pole between you and the pitcher or batter. Who would want to watch them during a game?

OLD TIME BASE BALL!

People forget that there are some good reasons why the upper levels in new parks are further back.....to eliminate obstructed views! It isn't just posts either. The overhang at the old park made it so that you couldn't even see the ball on pop ups in certain sections of the lower deck.

Part of what is pushing the UD higher is the Club Level, but I think that level is great! I'm glad it's there. It's pricier than the average seat but still within the price range of most fans.

I'll probably never be inside a luxury suite, so I personally have no use for them and it sucks that they push the UD even higher. But hey, they bring in the revenue to help the Sox try to keep up with the Bostons and New Yorks of the league.

Hitmen77
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
It was bland in 1991

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3185771102_5e223f88f7_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2952766318_78c4bd0c6b_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2952766310_c761fecfda_z.jpg

Now when I see video clips of the Sox in action at new Comiskey in the 1990s, I'm surprised at how ugly the park looked. I was never one to obsess over blue vs. green seats like some people did (as if I'd stay away from the park just because the seats are blue:rolleyes:), but now when you see the combination of exposed concrete and the blue seats - it just looks unappealing. The new roof really changed the look of the entire park (both from the inside and from the outside). Gone is that "saucer" look that you could see at the top of the park from the outside.

Sure, some of the original design elements look bad in hindsight (especially after Camden Yards set a new standard for new parks), but some of the original elements at the new park really were head scratchers :scratch:from the very beginning. For me, they were:

- The "moat" between the OF fences and the OF seats. I know the Sox wanted to eliminate fan interference, but ugh.....that gap really looked bad.

- The batters eye that looked like a storage shed.

- Putting a big service entrance right behind home plate instead of seats. In the early days, I don't think you could even see any fans behind the backstop during each pitch. That always looked bad on TV.

- More foul area than necessary. They added more seats in that old foul area during the renovations. Why didn't they do that in the first place?

The renovations turned out better than I imagined they would. Aside from the new roof and green color scheme, one thing that really changes the look and feel of the park is the fan deck area. Not only is that another good gathering area for fans (or private parties), but that looks 100% better than the old "tool shed".

TheOldRoman
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Hitmen77-

I agree that the umpire tunnel looked bad, but it was actually in a lot of the newer parks. Oriole Park and Coors Field each had the same thing, although they were much smaller than the one at New Comiskey. In those parks you could still see fans on TV sitting around the tunnel, where in New Comiskey all you saw was the gap. I don't know what made the architects decide to put umpire tunnels right behind homeplate, but those are absent from newer parks like PNC and AT&T. In the newer (and older) parks I believe the umpires enter the field through the home dugout.

hi im skot
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Not sure what that has to do with anything. I was seven when I went to my last game at Old Comiskey, and I was in the last row of the upper deck.

I'm fine with folks not being fans of sitting in the UD at the Cell, but to act like there's not a good seat to be had up there is silly. But hey, it gives people like me who enjoy the UD to get better seats, so thanks...

Fenway
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Hitmen77-

I agree that the umpire tunnel looked bad, but it was actually in a lot of the newer parks. Oriole Park and Coors Field each had the same thing, although they were much smaller than the one at New Comiskey. In those parks you could still see fans on TV sitting around the tunnel, where in New Comiskey all you saw was the gap. I don't know what made the architects decide to put umpire tunnels right behind homeplate, but those are absent from newer parks like PNC and AT&T. In the newer (and older) parks I believe the umpires enter the field through the home dugout.

The CF camera shot towards the plate was simply awful..... NESN for years ranked it as the worst venue in the AL to televise in. (along with Minnesota and Oakland) The color scheme also played havoc with color television cameras.

TV games look a lot better now that the cameras were moved to the concourse level instead of the club.

Noneck
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I was seven when I went to my last game at Old Comiskey, and I was in the last row of the upper deck.

I'm fine with folks not being fans of sitting in the UD at the Cell, but to act like there's not a good seat to be had up there is silly. But hey, it gives people like me who enjoy the UD to get better seats, so thanks...

I was just wondering how you would compare the old upper deck to the new. Some people like cheerios some like corn flakes , it doesnt make either bad, but the new upper deck is just too steep and too far away from the field for me.

salty99
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
US Cell upper deck fact: The first row is farther away from the field then the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey. That being said, I still like sitting int he premium upper box areas.

dickallen15
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM

For watching a game the first few rows of the upper deck in the infield blow away the bleachers and lower reserved. The thing that sucks about the UD is it takes forever to get down.

Sad
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
For watching a game the first few rows of the upper deck in the infield blow away the bleachers and lower reserved.

I have always felt the same...

Fenway
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
When it comes to bad seats....

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215473_1925387607098_1014362077_32221687_351110_n. jpg

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
The overhang at the old park made it so that you couldn't even see the ball on pop ups in certain sections of the lower deck. Heck, there were times I had trouble seeing the center-field scoreboard because of the overhang.

However, I won't sit in the upper deck either, because the height and steepness absolutely gives me the willies. Acrophobia, I guess, but I can't do it. I had the same problem at Target Field in Minneapolis this summer; I had upper deck, last row seats, and simply couldn't stay up there. I had to come down and watch the game from standing room.

WhiteSox5187
04-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't follow the logic here. Just because those were some of the best seats in the old park (which had more than it's share of bad seats) and can't be beat in today's UD, you refuse to ever set foot in the upper deck of the new park even though some of the rows in the UD between 1st and 3rd are still good seats. :scratch:

I guess that's fine if you always have access to and are willing to pay extra for something like premium lower box to get better seats. When I'm buying tickets for games I chose location based on availability/price/location to find the best spot for me at the Cell. UD is part of that consideration. I'm not eliminating good seats today by comparing them to ghost seats from 20 years ago.

People forget that there are some good reasons why the upper levels in new parks are further back.....to eliminate obstructed views! It isn't just posts either. The overhang at the old park made it so that you couldn't even see the ball on pop ups in certain sections of the lower deck.

Part of what is pushing the UD higher is the Club Level, but I think that level is great! I'm glad it's there. It's pricier than the average seat but still within the price range of most fans.

I'll probably never be inside a luxury suite, so I personally have no use for them and it sucks that they push the UD even higher. But hey, they bring in the revenue to help the Sox try to keep up with the Bostons and New Yorks of the league.

That's not really true though, the reason the seats in the Upper Deck are farther back is because there are two levels of luxury suites. And also the reason there were obstructed views in old ballparks like Old Comiskey and Wrigley is because they were originally built as a single deck park and the upper deck was added on later. I suspect that there would be a way to build a two deck park that has seats in the upper deck closer to the field without using the poles that the old park had. In fact, when the upper deck was built in the old ball park I think someone offered that option to Comiskey, but he said no that was too expensive.

Hitmen77
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM

I'll probably never be inside a luxury suite, so I personally have no use for them and it sucks that they push the UD even higher. But hey, they bring in the revenue to help the Sox try to keep up with the Bostons and New Yorks of the league.That's not really true though, the reason the seats in the Upper Deck are farther back is because there are two levels of luxury suites. And also the reason there were obstructed views in old ballparks like Old Comiskey and Wrigley is because they were originally built as a single deck park and the upper deck was added on later. I suspect that there would be a way to build a two deck park that has seats in the upper deck closer to the field without using the poles that the old park had. In fact, when the upper deck was built in the old ball park I think someone offered that option to Comiskey, but he said no that was too expensive.

Read the rest of my post. I do mention luxury suites.

I said that the desire to avoid obstructed views pushed the UD back and that the luxury suites and club level are the reason why the UD is so high up.

Like I said earlier, I love the Club Level and I'm glad it's there and luxury suites are simply a necessary evil in today's baseball economics.

As far as having the ability to have the upper deck hang over the lower deck without creating obstructed views, I have my doubts that you can suspend such a huge, heavy structure over the lower level very much without support beams. But, as alluded to earlier, the obstruction at Old Comiskey and other older parks wasn't just the poles. If you have the UD right on top of you, there are going to be seats in the LD where you can't see pop ups, can't see the scoreboard, etc.

WhiffleBall
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
US Cell upper deck fact: The first row is farther away from the field then the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey. That being said, I still like sitting int he premium upper box areas.

The front row at old Comiskey was 60 feet closer to the field. I think the 400 level at Wrigley has similiar distances as old Comiskey (with the same negatives for the lower deck).

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/images/comiskey67.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
The front row at old Comiskey was 60 feet closer to the field. I think the 400 level at Wrigley has similiar distances as old Comiskey (with the same negatives for the lower deck).

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/images/comiskey67.jpg

I remember when the Tribune published that graphic.

jdm2662
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
The UD sections behind home plate are as good as any seats in the park. Some of the reserve seats I do lose sight of the ball, but I don't see it being a big deal.

I'd like to know where the term "nose bleeds seats" comes from. For starters, I have a major chronic problem with nose bleades (hell I had one yesterday for 20 mins and early this morning). I even had to go to the ER a couple of times in the past.I've never gotten one sitting in the UD. And, if anyone is going to get them, is me.

stl_sox_fan
04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I remember being totally bummed that I couldn't get opening day tickets. Phone lines were jammed. Took cold comfort that I actually got through and got tickets to Game 3. Which of course turned out to be the best game of the series. One Dog for the win!

BBaum21
04-20-2011, 01:14 PM
New Comiskey Park opened on my 8th birthday, and as such, my parents took my older sister, twin brother and I to the game.

Pulled us out of second grade that afternoon. While I don't remember much specifically about that afternoon, I take great pride in just knowing I was there.

Those pictures posted by Fenway bring back good memories. That park will always be special to me, and that day is what prompted my father to get season tickets.

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Are you serious? You were only allowed in the small few sections of the concourse? You couldn't go to any other concession stands than what was right there? That sucks.

My first game there was the 4th season...My aunt took me with my sister and mom, and we ate in the Stadium Club. We met Chris Zorich up there! I had never eaten at a restaurant so extravagent in my life (I was 12 at the time). I thought it was hot stuff.

LongLiveFisk
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Are you serious? You were only allowed in the small few sections of the concourse? You couldn't go to any other concession stands than what was right there? That sucks.

My first game there was the 4th season...My aunt took me with my sister and mom, and we ate in the Stadium Club. We met Chris Zorich up there! I had never eaten at a restaurant so extravagent in my life (I was 12 at the time). I thought it was hot stuff.

Yes, totally serious. And it really sucked. I'm so glad they stopped doing that. In fact, I think they stopped it that same season at some point. If not, I am sure someone will correct me.

ewokpelts
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes, totally serious. And it really sucked. I'm so glad they stopped doing that. In fact, I think they stopped it that same season at some point. If not, I am sure someone will correct me.they block off the outfield concourse for the cubs series. but if you have a ticket in the outfield, you are still free to go elsewhere in the park. but non-outfield ticket holders cant go in the outfield.

C-Dawg
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM

I need to find my pics from the opening series. Yes, the two ends of the outfield concourse were "blocked off' with metal gates. They resembled those old-fashioned wooden folding baby gates people used to buy (until they discovered the baby could get a finger caught in them) but they were metal.

gobears1987
04-20-2011, 03:30 PM
While I do agree with the upper deck policy, I hated those friggin gates.
They still set up temporary gates during the annual crosstown series. I can't blame them for doing it that weekend. Another reason I wouldn't mind if interleague died.

Jerko
04-20-2011, 03:43 PM
they block off the outfield concourse for the cubs series. but if you have a ticket in the outfield, you are still free to go elsewhere in the park. but non-outfield ticket holders cant go in the outfield.

That's how I remember it from when the park first opened. I also remember when the gates were gone they replaced them with the "red wall of ushers". They used to stand between my seat and the staduim club entrance, and they would try to make me leave the park on ramp 2 even if I was on my way to the club. That ended fast.

Jerko
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I need to find my pics from the opening series. Yes, the two ends of the outfield concourse were "blocked off' with metal gates. They resembled those old-fashioned wooden folding baby gates people used to buy (until they discovered the baby could get a finger caught in them) but they were metal.

YES and they were blue and they rolled. Blue metal folding security gates with a wheel.

Jerko
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
They still set up temporary gates during the annual crosstown series. I can't blame them for doing it that weekend. Another reason I wouldn't mind if interleague died.

Agreed. I kinda wish they would do it on opening day as well.

ewokpelts
04-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Agreed. I kinda wish they would do it on opening day as well.
i love seeing all the idiots congregate on the OF concourse knowing they spent a buttload on lower box tickets.

Red Barchetta
04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Now when I see video clips of the Sox in action at new Comiskey in the 1990s, I'm surprised at how ugly the park looked. I was never one to obsess over blue vs. green seats like some people did (as if I'd stay away from the park just because the seats are blue:rolleyes:), but now when you see the combination of exposed concrete and the blue seats - it just looks unappealing. The new roof really changed the look of the entire park (both from the inside and from the outside). Gone is that "saucer" look that you could see at the top of the park from the outside.

Sure, some of the original design elements look bad in hindsight (especially after Camden Yards set a new standard for new parks), but some of the original elements at the new park really were head scratchers :scratch:from the very beginning. For me, they were:

- The "moat" between the OF fences and the OF seats. I know the Sox wanted to eliminate fan interference, but ugh.....that gap really looked bad.

- The batters eye that looked like a storage shed.

- Putting a big service entrance right behind home plate instead of seats. In the early days, I don't think you could even see any fans behind the backstop during each pitch. That always looked bad on TV.

- More foul area than necessary. They added more seats in that old foul area during the renovations. Why didn't they do that in the first place?

The renovations turned out better than I imagined they would. Aside from the new roof and green color scheme, one thing that really changes the look and feel of the park is the fan deck area. Not only is that another good gathering area for fans (or private parties), but that looks 100% better than the old "tool shed".

I agree. I had pretty much the same observations looking back. I was a big proponent for the green seats and other green trim, i.e. wall pads, etc. The "bedpan" or "nurse" blue seats were horrible and made the place sterile.

To me, Comiskey II was not so much a poorly designed park, but rather a non-finished park. It reminded me of building a brand new home and then not having any money left over to decorate it leaving the walls with builder primer, no landscaping and no other personal or unique features.

It's amazing how the renovations have changed the personality of the ballpark. I would still like to see a new, more state of the art CF scoreboard as well as an updated stat board in LF (to match the one in RF) as well as some kind of upper deck/patio area in RF.

I love how the Fundamentals area looks on TV when players round 1st base.

roylestillman
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
That whole space frame outfield scorboard/billboard thing is looking a little dated and showing signs of age (check out some of the close-ups of the flags on TV to see the rust.) I wouldn't be surprised if that whole outfield facade is on the list for a re-do in the near future.

sachin
04-21-2011, 08:46 AM
On Game One, Jack McDowell was getting clobbered and requested that the grounds crew come out and work on the mound IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME. So, out comes this guy with a wheelbarrow and starts digging onthe mound with a shovel -- much to the ire of Sox fans, who were like "Hey, it seems to be working for the other pitcher..."

Jim Shorts
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
To me, Comiskey II was not so much a poorly designed park, but rather a non-finished park. It reminded me of building a brand new home and then not having any money left over to decorate it leaving the walls with builder primer, no landscaping and no other personal or unique features.

Exactly. Well put.

Red Barchetta
04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
That whole space frame outfield scorboard/billboard thing is looking a little dated and showing signs of age (check out some of the close-ups of the flags on TV to see the rust.) I wouldn't be surprised if that whole outfield facade is on the list for a re-do in the near future.

I would love to see the lattace replaced with Old Comiskey-style brick arches to support the billboards, lights, etc.

ewokpelts
04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I would love to see the lattace replaced with Old Comiskey-style brick arches to support the billboards, lights, etc.do you have 30 million for that?

Red Barchetta
04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
do you have 30 million for that?

:rolleyes:

russ99
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
The UD sections behind home plate are as good as any seats in the park. Some of the reserve seats I do lose sight of the ball, but I don't see it being a big deal.

I'd like to know where the term "nose bleeds seats" comes from. For starters, I have a major chronic problem with nose bleades (hell I had one yesterday for 20 mins and early this morning). I even had to go to the ER a couple of times in the past.I've never gotten one sitting in the UD. And, if anyone is going to get them, is me.

I think the initial issue with the upper deck was height rather than angle.

When the park was opened, some were incensed that the Sox needed to have 3 levels of skyboxes, rather than the at-the-time standard of 1 or 2.

As for the other features of the original Comiskey II (blue seats, batters screen, moat) I think that was all intentional, since I read somewhere that a modernized Dodgers' Stadium was what they were aiming for when designing the park.

I'm very glad that Jerry has invested so much to turn the park into what it is today.

Hitmen77
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I agree. I had pretty much the same observations looking back. I was a big proponent for the green seats and other green trim, i.e. wall pads, etc. The "bedpan" or "nurse" blue seats were horrible and made the place sterile.

It's amazing how the renovations have changed the personality of the ballpark. I would still like to see a new, more state of the art CF scoreboard as well as an updated stat board in LF (to match the one in RF) as well as some kind of upper deck/patio area in RF.

I love how the Fundamentals area looks on TV when players round 1st base.

I would love to see the lattace replaced with Old Comiskey-style brick arches to support the billboards, lights, etc.

I agree with your comment on the Fundamentals area. It helps break up that foul pole-to-foul pole expressway billboards look that the original layout of the park had.

On of the articles I linked to earlier from the NW Indiana Times has a Sox official saying they "brainstormed $200 million worth of ideas" knowing that they wouldn't have the money to make all those changes.
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb/white-sox/article_08c09b25-1ef3-5616-99bd-dfca350b12b0.html

Maybe at some point in the future (say 10 years from now), they'll secure funding for other "wish list" items. A new OF scoreboard/advertisement area design would certainly be up there on "wish list" items.

When the park was opened, some were incensed that the Sox needed to have 3 levels of skyboxes, rather than the at-the-time standard of 1 or 2.

As for the other features of the original Comiskey II (blue seats, batters screen, moat) I think that was all intentional, since I read somewhere that a modernized Dodgers' Stadium was what they were aiming for when designing the park.

I'm very glad that Jerry has invested so much to turn the park into what it is today.

The money actually came from US Cellular (for the naming rights) to fund the renovations. But I am glad that JR & Co. was able to work out that deal.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
You were never allowed to watch a pitcher warm up looking down into the moats. It's not like people were obstructing the view of anyone.

Hitmen77
04-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Actually the new park has only TWO levels of skyboxes. The 3rd level you are thinking of is the Club Level and it, IMO, is one of the great features of the park. In past years, I've been able to get tickets up there for about $45, so it's not like that level is only made for corporate rich guys.

Hitmen77
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
In addition to the major renovation items, I like the minor improvements too.

The Gate 4 area (by the brick plaza) has been improved. It makes for a nice gathering place for fans before the game.

I like the murals on the UD concourse walls. They're a huge improvement over the blank white cinder block walls. My only comment there is that the murals could stand a little updating. After all, Sox history didn't end at the Maggs/Carlos Lee era. :wink:

One other change around the park since it opened in 1991 is the improving neighborhood. Gone are the days where the housing projects across the expressway loomed over the park. Now when Cub fans and other naysayers claim that the Sox "play in a ghetto", they're just living in the past.

SI1020
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM
One other change around the park since it opened in 1991 is the improving neighborhood. Gone are the days where the housing projects across the expressway loomed over the park. Now when Cub fans and other naysayers claim that the Sox "play in a ghetto", they're just living in the past. One of the things that has always amazed me about Chicago and its neighborhoods is that they are constantly in a state of change. I remember a time when the area around Wrigley Field was no picnic. It was in a serious state of decline from the mid 60's until the beginnings of the rooftop Wrigleyville era of gentrification. The area around Lemoyne elementary school in particular was getting rough around the edges.

doublem23
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
One other change around the park since it opened in 1991 is the improving neighborhood. Gone are the days where the housing projects across the expressway loomed over the park. Now when Cub fans and other naysayers claim that the Sox "play in a ghetto", they're just living in the past.

Yeah, the area around the park's gotten a lot better in the past 10-15 years. Old habits die hard, though, when I was at the Sox/Rays game last weekend a couple of lamewads from the suburbs tagged along and after the game they wanted to go to Chinatown because "there's nothing to do around Sox Park."

:shrug:

Golden Sox
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
It's hard to believe it has been 20 years. The renovations have made the park one of the nicer ones in the league. It's a shame the park wasn't built in the South Loop. Everybody would of been better off if the park was in the South Loop. The White Sox would of drawn more people and the Loop wouldn't be a ghost town on weeknights and on weekends.

ewokpelts
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
It's hard to believe it has been 20 years. The renovations have made the park one of the nicer ones in the league. It's a shame the park wasn't built in the South Loop. Everybody would of been better off if the park was in the South Loop. The White Sox would of drawn more people and the Loop wouldn't be a ghost town on weeknights and on weekends.the south loop wasnt nearly the same as it is now, or even 10 years ago. the police station on 18th and state was a giant auto dump. would the perception of the sox, and thier fans change if the sox played over by that?

doublem23
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
It's hard to believe it has been 20 years. The renovations have made the park one of the nicer ones in the league. It's a shame the park wasn't built in the South Loop. Everybody would of been better off if the park was in the South Loop. The White Sox would of drawn more people and the Loop wouldn't be a ghost town on weeknights and on weekends.

Have you been to the Loop on a weeknight or weekend in the past... 20 years?

Golden Sox
04-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I've been to the South Loop and State Street numerous times recently. You can shoot a cannon down State Street and not hit anybody during the weeknights and weekends. A new White Sox stadium would of brought more people downtown and more businesses than what there are now. Other cities have built their ballparks in their downtown area with a lot of success. The same thing could of easily happened in Chicago. The only major store left on State Street is Macy's. A new stadium in the South Loop could of changed that.

g0g0
04-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I've been to Wrigley recently and had great seats (behind home plate). I think I still like the Cell better. My wife had never been to Wrigley and thought it was a dump lol. You do have to make trade-offs with nostalgia/crumbling stadium hehe.