PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Swept by the Angels, Sox lose 4-2, postgame therapy thread

Frater Perdurabo
04-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Disgust...

soltrain21
04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
When I said I didn't want to see AJ ground into a double play that didn't mean throw away an out after a double and a walk.

The beat goes on. Sigh.

thomas35forever
Not what we need heading into a road trip. Things could be bad when we get back.

guillensdisciple
if you think about it, 7-8 is not a bad hand to go all in with.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Honestly we had no business being in that game toward the end there. I don't mind us losing to Haren and Weaver but that game yesterday following the **** show we put on against Oakland hurts.

soulfly
Ozzie is the king of giving up outs. It's what he's best at.

Is our bench really so awful that we didn't have anyone to hit for the zero power JP?

So pathetic.

kittle42
Not what we need heading into a road trip. Things could be bad when we get back.

They're bad already. Someone wake me up when they win two in a row. Until then, I'll watch my fantasy teams.

kittle42
if you think about it, 7-8 is not a bad hand to go all in with.

Now *that* is a good post!

Frater Perdurabo

Is our bench really so awful that we didn't have anyone to hit for the zero power JP?

So pathetic.

That would have been a good spot to have Teahen pinch hit.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
When I said I didn't want to see AJ ground into a double play that didn't mean throw away an out after a double and a walk.

The beat goes on. Sigh.

That was the absolute right call. You have a great fastball hitter in Alexei up next and he ties the game with a base hit. That was an absolute no brainer there.

Tragg
04-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Did Guillen actually call for a sacrifice bunt down 2 in the ninth inning??????????

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 03:54 PM

So pathetic.

You don't NEED a guy with power there, you needed a base hit to the tie the game and Pierre gets a lot of hits. He didn't there and he didn't in the eighth.

DirtySox
04-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Meh. The beat goes on.

thomas35forever
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
They're bad already. Someone wake me up when they win two in a row. Until then, I'll watch my fantasy teams.
Yeah, but I meant REALLY bad.

WhiteSox5187
Did Guillen actually call for a sacrifice bunt down 2 in the ninth inning??????????

To put the tying run in scoring position with a great fastball hitter up, yes, yes he did. It was the right baseball move.

sox1970
30 of the next 43 on the road. Should be interesting to see where this team is on June 1st.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
White Sox baseball: "We get off the bus sacrifice bunting"

Domeshot17
04-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Good lord you don't give up outs when you are down 2. You also don't let Omar and Pierre hit TWICE with 2 runners on when you need runs. 7-8 on the year is just pathetic. Good thing we prematurely picked up Ozzie's option for no reason before the season. Misuse is just pissing away the talent of this team.

kittle42
30 of the next 43 on the road. Should be interesting to see where this team is on June 1st.

Part of me wishes they'd play the rest of the season on the road.

sox230
So let's see. The Angels just swept us. Can someone remind me how many times they tried to bunt vs. the number of times we tried to bunt? The ONLY bunt even semi-worth arguing for was right there in the 9th. IMO Ozzie is one of the dumbest managers in the game and he'll keep it up even if he knows he's wrong because of his stubborn ego. I wish there was a stat to prove how much of a negative influence he has on the Sox compared to other managers.

To put the tying run in scoring position with a great fastball hitter up, yes, yes he did. It was the right baseball move.

The way Waldo was pitching, he could've done that by himself.

Tragg
04-17-2011, 03:58 PM

No it is not the right move. It was a stupid move, giving up outs like that. Incredibly stupid.
3 outs left, bottom of the order, and Ozzie is ordering intentional outs. What an anchor he is on this organization.

This so 2007 redux...Ozzie's ego first, team second.

MikeKreevich
04-17-2011, 03:59 PM
White Sox baseball: "We get off the bus sacrifice bunting"
You beat me to it. Anyone else sick and tired of giving away outs?
Ozzie, check the statistics, the sac bunt fails more often than succeeds.

billyvsox
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Good lord you don't give up outs when you are down 2. You also don't let Omar and Pierre hit TWICE with 2 runners on when you need runs. 7-8 on the year is just pathetic. Good thing we prematurely picked up Ozzie's option for no reason before the season. Misuse is just pissing away the talent of this team.

Exactly!!! Wouldn't you rather have AJ have a chance to get a big hit. Instead it falls on to Pierre

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
This is silly, the people who are against AJ bunting there would be calling for Ozzie's head if he hit into a double play. Look YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE OUTS, every team will, the question is what do you do with those outs. The best teams are the ones that make productive outs. AJ made a very productive out. Alexei did not. If Alexei gets a hit the game is tied, if he puts the ball in play we score a run and have the tying run at second with two other very good fastball hitters coming up there in Omar and Pierre.

Soxman219
04-17-2011, 04:02 PM
"all in!"

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 04:03 PM
You beat me to it. Anyone else sick and tired of giving away outs?
Ozzie, check the statistics, the sac bunt fails more often than succeeds.

Someone actually pointed out that you are more likely to score two runs with two runners in scoring position and one out than with runners at first and second and no out. That was the right call to have AJ, a big double play candidate, bunt.

billyvsox
04-17-2011, 04:03 PM
That was the absolute right call. You have a great fastball hitter in Alexei up next and he ties the game with a base hit. That was an absolute no brainer there.

Are you kidding?? It was totally the wrong situation to bunt. Maybe if your only down by one run....maybe!!!

Nevere ever ever ever when down by two!!! You still need hits just to tie. Even if Alexi hits a sac fly it means nothing!! Omar or Pierre STILL would need to get a hit

sox1970
04-17-2011, 04:04 PM
This is silly, the people who are against AJ bunting there would be calling for Ozzie's head if he hit into a double play. Look YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE OUTS, every team will, the question is what do you do with those outs. The best teams are the ones that make productive outs. AJ made a very productive out. Alexei did not. If Alexei gets a hit the game is tied, if he puts the ball in play we score a run and have the tying run at second with two other very good fastball hitters coming up there in Omar and Pierre.

Ok, but if AJ gets a hit, they score one run, still have two runners on base, and still nobody out. I think when you're down one run at home, you play for the one run there. But down two runs, you just have to go for the hits and not give up an out there.

Domeshot17

I am sorry but you are just 1000% wrong. This isn't high school baseball where a ball in play has a 45% chance of resulting in a safe play. The bunt is correct if down 1, because a 2nd out can still tie the game. But down 2, you have to play for the chance to score both runs.

You have to know your situations in baseball. This is not the National League.

WhiteSox5187
Exactly!!! Wouldn't you rather have AJ have a chance to get a big hit. Instead it falls on to Pierre

It fell to Alexei, then Omar, THEN Pierre. Would you rather have AJ ground into a double play there?

BringHomeDaBacon
Last year, the #1 hitter came to the plate 120 times more than the #8 hitter.

Am I the only one that would prefer to have Alexei Ramirez log those plate appearances instead of Juan Pierre?

Gavin
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
I can't wait to hear Chris Rogney further ask, "Why aren't more people showing up to the games?"

Dick Allen
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Did anybody really think Pierre would come through there? I'm so tired of this ****.

soulfly
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
You have to know your situations in baseball. This is not the National League.

Can you call Ozwaldo and tell him that? Please?

Domeshot17

Am I the only one that would prefer to have Alexei Ramirez log those plate appearances instead of Juan Pierre?

But that would require Ozzie to not use "How to manage Baseball for dummies". And if he has to put the book down, he might accidentally use the bullpen right as well :redneck.

Gavin

That's 40 or so steal opportunities that I'd rather Juan have than Alexei.

Tragg
This is silly, the people who are against AJ bunting there would be calling for Ozzie's head if he hit into a double play.
No we would not.
It's an indefensible move. We were down 2, with the bottom of the order coming up....such great hitters, they hit 8 and 9.
And he bunts????? My goodness

But we will see bunting more and more now. The more Guillen is criticized for his poor managing, the more he will persist to "prove" he's right.

04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Don't worry everyone, we have David Price tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok, but if AJ gets a hit, they score one run, still have two runners on base, and still nobody out. I think when you're down one run at home, you play for the one run there. But down two runs, you just have to go for the hits and not give up an out there.

And if AJ grounds into a double play which he does a LOT? Then what? I'd rather have Alexei facing a good fastball pitcher with the tying run on second and ONE out than nobody on and TWO outs. All we needed was a hit, and prior to today their closer had given up two hits in 7.1 innings. I'd rather have it be where you need ONE hit to tie than need to string together a bunch of hits off of someone who doesn't give up a lot of them.

soltrain21
04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
No we would not.
It's an indefensible move. We were down 2, with the bottom of the order coming up....such great hitters, they hit 8 and 9.

But we will see bunting more and more now. The more Guillen is criticized for his poor managing, the more he will persist to "prove" he's right.

He already told us he if doesn't like how he managers the bullpen or how he call for bunts than don't watch the games.

Hope we don't hear Kenny and Jerry cry "where is everyone at the games?" when your manager is saying that while his team is off to another bad start.

Gavin
04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
And if AJ grounds into a double play which he does a LOT? Then what? I'd rather have Alexei facing a good fastball pitcher with the tying run on second and ONE out than nobody on and TWO outs. All we needed was a hit, and prior to today their closer had given up two hits in 7.1 innings. I'd rather have it be where you need ONE hit to tie than need to string together a bunch of hits off of someone who doesn't give up a lot of them.

Bingo. AJ is leading the team this year in GIDPs and hasn't shown much clutch at all to boot.

Domeshot17
04-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Averaged over the last 3 years, AJ grounds into a double play in roughly 3% of his plate appearances. Please explain to me how this is more risky then eliminating 33% of our outs for an inning.

soxinem1
04-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Someone needs to wake up Dunn and Rios. Alex has been MIA thus far while Dunn has beena non-factor pretty much since the third game of the season. Bacon, PK, and TCQ can't do it all.

And before anyone says anything about his appendix, if he is hurt, he should not be playing.

And before anyone says anything about his learning a new league, that is BS.

And before anyone says it is still early, well, then it is time to start hitting, fielding, and finishing games with consistency.

billyvsox
04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Bingo. AJ is leading the team this year in GIDPs and hasn't shown much clutch at all to boot.

You cannot not manage the game based on the potential of hitting into a DP!! Are you serious with this. Even the guys who lead the league in hittiing in DP's only do that 25-30 times a year over 600-700 at bats. That is managing against a 15-20% percent chance.

I just cannot believe anyone could think bunting when your down two is correct, It's not correct in the 1st inning, let alone the 9th!!

thomas35forever
04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I move that every losing game for the rest of the season should be called a "postgame therapy thread" as it is here.

soltrain21
04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Someone needs to wake up Dunn and Rios. Alex has been MIA thus far while Dunn has beena non-factor pretty much since the third game of the season. Bacon, PK, and TCQ can't do it all.

And before anyone says anything about his appendix, if he is hurt, he should not be playing.

And before anyone says anything about his learning a new league, that is BS.

And before anyone says it is still early, well, then it is time to start hitting, fielding, and finishing games with consistency.

It's pretty amazing to me that everybody knows that Dunn should not be a three hitter but Ozzie.

Soxfest
04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Teahan should of hit for Pierre, OG is brain dead!

soxinem1
04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
It's pretty amazing to me that everybody knows that Dunn should not be a three hitter but Ozzie.

It took two and a half years for Ozzie to discover that with Thome. And Thome is a way better hitter than Dunn.

A. Cavatica
04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Note to Kenny: you're not "all in" unless you go into the season with a competent manager and a closer...

BainesHOF
04-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Beckham needs to be moved out of the second slot and Ramirez needs to hit there. In all seriousness, does overrated Beckham do anything well? He's well on his way to being a bust.

Gavin
04-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Note to Kenny: you're not "all in" unless you go into the season with a competent manager and a closer...

potw

Jerko
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Why are we playing for the tie with this **** bullpen?

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Averaged over the last 3 years, AJ grounds into a double play in roughly 3% of his plate appearances. Please explain to me how this is more risky then eliminating 33% of our outs for an inning.

Look, SOMEONE was going to make the first out, teams are going to make outs. The question is what do you do with those outs? Do you strike out? Or do you move runners over? There are such things as productive outs. AJ made a VERY productive out and now you need just ONE hit to tie the game. What you and everyone else want to see is the Sox string together a series of hits. That's fine and I'd like to see that too, but you're not likely to see that against a guy who has given up TWO hits in eight previous appearances (3 hits in 9 counting today). Without the bunt you need an extra base hit to have a hope of scoring Rios from AJ (or for AJ, Alexei and Omar to get a string of hits) and Walden hasn't given up ANY extra base hits.

soxinem1
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Beckham needs to be moved out of the second slot and Ramirez needs to hit there. In all seriousness, does overrated Beckham do anything well? He's well on his way to being a bust.

Beckham is hardly the problem. Talk to the OF's, middle of the order hitters, and bullpen before you bring him up.

I do agree he should not be hitting #2, however. I think his offensive skills are being wasted.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Ramirez is a still improving .283 career hitter with power and speed smack dab in the middle of his prime years and Ozzie chooses to bury him in the 8 hole.

soltrain21
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Look, SOMEONE was going to make the first out, teams are going to make outs. The question is what do you do with those outs? Do you strike out? Or do you move runners over? There are such things as productive outs. AJ made a VERY productive out and now you need just ONE hit to tie the game. What you and everyone else want to see is the Sox string together a series of hits. That's fine and I'd like to see that too, but you're not likely to see that against a guy who has given up TWO hits in eight previous appearances (3 hits in 9 counting today). Without the bunt you need an extra base hit to have a hope of scoring Rios from AJ (or for AJ, Alexei and Omar to get a string of hits) and Walden hasn't given up ANY extra base hits.

Yes, teams will make outs. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Teams also go on huge rallies without making a single out until 6 runs have crossed the plate.

Just because "outs will be made" eventually doesn't mean you forcefully give up an out when you are trying to rally.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-17-2011, 04:27 PM

The guy's thrown 22 innings in his career and you (and Ozzie) want to treat him like he's Mariano Rivera?

SoxSpeed22
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM
This one actually made sense, since there were two baserunners on, one hit would've tied the game instead of two hits. Then you still have someone on for the next guy. I don't agree with leaving Pierre in there, I would've gone with Teahen.

Tragg
04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Ramirez is a still improving .283 career hitter with power and speed smack dab in the middle of his prime years and Ozzie chooses to bury him in the 8 hole.

You're asking a lot.....we're dealing with a manager who gave DeWayne Wise the opportunity for the most at bats on the team.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-17-2011, 04:35 PM
You're asking a lot.....we're dealing with a manager who gave DeWayne Wise the opportunity for the most at bats on the team.

Good point. I should have learned by now.

Jerko
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
A new pitcher comes in, gives up a double and a walk, you DO NOT GIVE HIM AN OUT!!!!!!!! And for all the AJ double play garbage being spewed in this thread; he was a lefty against a righty. Let HIM swing for the fences. AWFUL CALL. And again, even if the Sox tie it, it's going to be hard to win with this pen. Play for the WIN at home, not the tie.

kufram
04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
The bunt is the right call in that situation. Then TCM or Juan just needs a grounder through the infield and the game is tied. THAT is the no brainer. The only surprise for me was that AJ got the job done. Unfortunately Alexei and Pierre did not.

Jerko
04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=kufram;2730162]The bunt is the right call in that situation. Then TCM or Juan just needs a grounder through the infield and the game is tied. THAT is the no brainer. The only surprise for me was that AJ got the job done. Unfortunately Alexei and Pierre did not.[/QUOT

The bunt is never the right call against a brand spanking new pitcher that hasn't retired a batter yet.

soxfan1965
04-17-2011, 04:54 PM
That would have been a good spot to have Teahen pinch hit.
Agreed. You can tell they respect Omar's bat with a non-intentional intentional walk to get to JP. Ozzie is not a good chess player because he manages by gut. Teahen has a careful batter lately. If he gets an out, sobeit, but at least you gave the best chance for that situation, the best percentages, not someone who was 0 for 4 all day. Same frustration I feel with Lovie, getting outcoached or checkmated by the other coach/manager. Ozzie can't worry about hurt feelings, put the best guy in for that situation, but he has to first know who that guy is, and it won't always come by gut but brains.

KMcMahon817
04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Pretty ugly homestand. Hard to find any positives. But, if you dig pretty deep, the SOX will be done with their hardest part of the schedule in the next six weeks. Need to take the next fourty games one day at a time though. Things could get ugly if they don't keep their head up.

But, I am not going to get all negative. It is 15 games into the season and there is A TON of baseball to play. With as bad as things have been in the past week, we are still ahead of the Tigers and Twins, which really is all that matters. As good as the Royals and Indians have looked, there is very little chance either will win over 75 games this season (especially the Cleveland).

Let's win the series at TB.

Dan H
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM

No, this wasn't time to bunt. It was time to be aggressive. Walden was shaky just giving up a double and a walk. Ozzie made things easier for him by giving up that out. You know you're getting to the part of the order that had no power, and you were losing the lefty-right advantage with Alexi coming up next. Guillen should've give AJ a chance to do something.

shingo10
04-17-2011, 05:04 PM
A.J. very nearly got a hit with that bunt. Anyway, all he has become is a slap hitter to the opposite field. Not sure where his power swing has went the past 2 seasons.

I agree that Dunn should in no way be a 3 hitter. I really hope that changes soon. This offense was clicking with Rios in the 3rd spot.

Split at the very least with Tampa and go from there.

Our division is for the taking. KC and Cleveland will fade.

Dan H
04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
A.J. very nearly got a hit with that bunt. Anyway, all he has become is a slap hitter to the opposite field. Not sure where his power swing has went the past 2 seasons.

I agree that Dunn should in no way be a 3 hitter. I really hope that changes soon. This offense was clicking with Rios in the 3rd spot.

Split at the very least with Tampa and go from there.

Our division is for the taking. KC and Cleveland will fade.

AJ had little chance to beat that bunt out and the third baseman knew it. If that was a fast runner trying to bunt for a hit, I'd have no problem. But AJ pulls a freight train to the first.

The Sox are in the middle of a losing streak. They're blowing games. This was time to do something aggressive. I don't care if AJ hits into a double play. I want him swinging the bat not dwibbling a ball down the third base line.

TommyGavinFloyd
04-17-2011, 05:19 PM
The bunt was absolutely the right call. Ramirez, Omar, and Pierre all had a chance to tie the game with a hit. They didn't do it. It's not really that difficult to grasp.

russ99
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
No, this wasn't time to bunt. It was time to be aggressive. Walden was shaky just giving up a double and a walk. Ozzie made things easier for him by giving up that out. You know you're getting to the part of the order that had no power, and you were losing the lefty-right advantage with Alexi coming up next. Guillen should've give AJ a chance to do something.

We were down two runs. Leaving that runner at first doesn't help us.

Had A.J. grounded into a DP, "giving away those outs", then even if Carlos was at 3B tying the game would have been a tall order.

Yet again people not seeing the forest for the trees. The issue here is not if the bunt is the right call, the issue seems that no matter what Ozzie does in a loss, someone's going to call it out.

I get it, some of you don't like the guy or think we should slug our way to victory every day, but 9/10 managers down two runs would have made the exact same call.

Domeshot17
04-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Had A.J. grounded into a DP, "giving away those outs", then even if Carlos was at 3B tying the game would have been a tall order.

Yet again people not seeing the forest for the trees. The issue here is not if the bunt is the right call, the issue seems that no matter what Ozzie does in a loss, someone's going to call it out.

I get it, some of you don't like the guy, but 9/10 managers down two runs would have made the exact same call.

This is just false. 90% of managers don't give the out up.

But we know, Ozzie can do no wrong, he rules, he doesn't cost us any games and he always makes the right calls.

Ozzie is the reason we are 7-8 right now and not 10-5.

Dan H
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM

I get it, some of you don't like the guy or think we should slug our way to victory every day, but 9/10 managers down two runs would have made the exact same call.

I am not an Ozzie hater and don't criticize him for everything. I even see the logic of his call. I just don't agree with it. This was time to give a player a real chance to do something. And I don't know if 9 out of 10 managers would've done this.

Domeshot17
04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I am not an Ozzie hater and don't criticize him for everything. I even see the logic of his call. I just don't agree with it. This was time to give a player a real chance to do something. And I don't know if 9 out of 10 managers would've done this.

Ozzie has a love hate relationship with the fans. For as much as some of us hate him (and yes, I admit, I am fed up of him costing us games year in and year out) it goes both ways. There are others that would defend him asking hitters to hold the barrel and try and hit with the handle of the bat. To some, he simply can do no wrong.

Noneck
04-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Teams that score 7 runs in a 3 game series, dont win many of those series.

happydude
04-17-2011, 05:43 PM

This. And it may be true that that was the "right baseball move" in the sense that it took us out of the double play and put the tying run in scoring position. I simply didn't care for it given that we were down 2 and were, ultimately, going to need hits to tie. If you can tie without needing additional hits then that would have been another story.

I'm sure many of his colleagues would have done the same thing but, in truth, that's not necessarily a justification. Most, by definition, are average managers or worse. He sells himself as a "maverick" but, in truth, he rarely strays from "the book".

Lip Man 1
04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I have always been a supporter of Ozzie. I loved and still do his passion for the White Sox.

But I must confess, my attitude is starting to change regarding him.

It's not just the baseball decisions, which I guess you can question from time to time about every manager, but it's the constant drama that seems to surround him and the team.

I'm getting tired of his family, his "macho" attitude towards anybody who disagrees with him, his seemingly lack of effort to discuss and listen to anyone (be it fans or media) who thinks what he's doing is wrong.

Al Lopez had passion, Eddie Stanly had passion, so did Chuck Tanner, Tony LaRussa and Jeff Torborg...but they didn't seem to have the baggage that Ozzie has. As long as you win it's fine, you can put up with things, but the Sox haven't won since 2005, haven't made the playoffs since 2008, continue to do a poor job with fundamentals and for the 3rd straight season have gotten off to a slow / bad start.

With this payroll and the talent on this clubs (even with some areas at issue) for the Sox to have a losing year simply isn't going to cut it anymore for me.

If that happens I'm going to swing over to the side who feels that the club is best served with a new manager. An experienced guy, who has a track record, who knows the league, knows his players and can bring some quiet dignity to the position for a change (and no, I don't mean another Manager Gandhi type guy, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Lopez-type or a Torre-type.)

Lip

Gavin
04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I have always been a supporter of Ozzie. I loved and still do his passion for the White Sox.

It's not just the baseball decisions, which I guess you can question from time to time about every manager, but it the constant drama that seems to surround him and the team.

I'm getting tired of his family, his "macho" attitude towards anybody who disagrees with him, his seemingly lack of effort to discuss and listen to anyone (be it fans or media) who thinks what he's doing is wrong.

Al Lopez had passion, Eddie Stanly had passion, so did Chuck Tanner, Tony LaRussa and Jeff Torborg...but they didn't seem to have the baggage that Ozzie has. As long as you win it's fine, you can put up with things, but the Sox haven't won since 2005, haven't made the playoffs since 2008, continue to do a poor job with fundamentals and for the 3rd straight season have gotten off to a slow / bad start.

With this payroll and the talent on this clubs (even with some areas at issue) for the Sox to have a losing year simply isn't going to cut it anymore for me.

If that happens I'm going to swing over to the side who feels that the club is best served with a new manager. An experienced guy, who has a track record, who knows the league, knows his players and can bring some quiet dignity to the position for a change (and no, I don't mean another Manager Gandhi type guy, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Lopez-type or a Torre-type.)

Lip

Agreed. At times, I think Ozzie thinks he's some sort of celebrity, immune and even antagonistic towards criticism. It was OK when he was right, now he's just deflecting everything.

Brian26
04-17-2011, 06:31 PM

I haven't talked to one person about this on the way home from the game, listened to the radio or read any post past this one in this thread, so this is my honest feeling, unbiased based on anyone's other opinion.

I was blown away that Ozzie gave up that out in the 9th inning. It's my biggest peeve in baseball. I've debated this point with people here for years. You've got three bullets left in the game, down by two runs. There's no way in hell you give up an out to move the runners over one stinkin' base. It's terrible, neanderthal baseball thinking. There's nothing intellectual about a move like that. It's just a stupid, rally-killing call. On top of it, AJ was the best hitter in the game at that point. Rios is a speedster on first who has a chance to score on a double anyway. Dumb baseball. Always dumb to give up an out in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Astros were stupid to sac bunt in Game 4 in 2005, and the call today was stupid. Stupid baseball to give up 33% of your remaining outs to move the runners over and take the bat out of your best hitter's hands and also take the bat out of the next guy's hands since firstbase is open.

palehozenychicty
04-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I haven't talked to one person about this on the way home from the game, listened to the radio or read any post past this one in this thread, so this is my honest feeling, unbiased based on anyone's other opinion.

I was blown away that Ozzie gave up that out in the 9th inning. It's my biggest peeve in baseball. I've debated this point with people here for years. You've got three bullets left in the game, down by two runs. There's no way in hell you give up an out to move the runners over one stinkin' base. It's terrible, neanderthal baseball thinking. There's nothing intellectual about a move like that. It's just a stupid, rally-killing call. On top of it, AJ was the best hitter in the game at that point. Rios is a speedster on first who has a chance to score on a double anyway. Dumb baseball. Always dumb to give up an out in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Astros were stupid to sac bunt in Game 4 in 2005, and the call today was stupid. Stupid baseball to give up 33% of your remaining outs to move the runners over and take the bat out of your best hitter's hands and also take the bat out of the next guy's hands since firstbase is open.

Indeed. Your team has been struggling, and must use their abilities to lift themselves. Giving up outs is giving up a chance to win the game right there.

RTI_SoxFan
04-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Here is an interesting statistical analysis proving that bunting actually decreases your chances of scoring a run (let alone two).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2844

I have typically been a fan of the sac bunt but since seeing the Sox either fail to do so time and time again and/or failing to score as a result, I'm beginning to disagree with bunting in almost any situation.

LongLiveFisk
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I was blown away that Ozzie gave up that out in the 9th inning. It's my biggest peeve in baseball. I've debated this point with people here for years. You've got three bullets left in the game, down by two runs. There's no way in hell you give up an out to move the runners over one stinkin' base. It's terrible, neanderthal baseball thinking.

This is my exact thinking. If it's the 6th inning, maybe, but the 9th?

Lip Man 1
04-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Fundamental play and execution again are issues with this club despite working on them again in spring training.

I posted last week what one of the Sox broadcasters said, that the players are in fact, "baseball stupid" and can't do what they are being asked to do by Ozzie and the staff. But for whatever reason these numbers can't go on. or it's going to be a very long season.

Right now the Sox are 2-5 in games decided by one or two runs and they are 2-3 in extra inning games.

Something has to change and quickly with 30 of the next 43 games on the road. That Texas, Toronto, Boston road trip could be brutal given the way the Sox play in those venues. The flip side is they get a lot of home games the rest of the way but will they even matter?

Lip

Tragg
04-17-2011, 07:28 PM
This is my exact thinking. If it's the 6th inning, maybe, but the 9th?
Not even then. You get 2 on nobody out, it's time to go for a big inning
But in the 9th, it's unfathomable.
Poor, poor coaching on this club.

Dick Allen
04-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I think the bunt was wrong, though I could certainly see the logic of using it. But playing for the tie, which in effect is what Ozzie was doing, only would have meant that our stellar bullpen would have trashed the game in extras.

TomBradley72
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I've been an Ozzie supporter over the years- but he is off to a terrible start this year.

The bunt today completely changed the momentum of the game- he can't find a closer among Santos.Crain, Sale and Thornton, he uses a guy who will strike out 200 times this year and can't run in the #3 hole.

sunofgold
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
We will get better. There have been some tough losses in the early going but still a long way to go. We did face two tough starters this weekend.

Our starters look solid so far. At least, they will keep us in games. Peavy will be back soon and Humber should fit well in bullpen (long reliever guy/emergency starter).

As for the bullpen, we just need somebody to step up and be the closer.
Gray looked decent and could be some insurance. I think that Sale or Santos will emerge as the closer and other guys will fill their roles.

As for Ozzie and bunting, he has always done this. This isn't new. He likes to have his team bunt. AJ didn't seem mad to bunt. AJ is maybe one of the few guys who can move runners over.

Gavin
04-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Fire Ozzie. I'd take Quade right now.

Brian26
04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
AJ didn't seem mad to bunt.

Glad you're a mind-reader or have ears in the clubhouse.

KMcMahon817
04-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Glad you're a mind-reader or have ears in the clubhouse.

Sheesh. It's an opinion, guy. Relax.

Brian26
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
It's an opinion

My point exactly. Thanks for agreeing with me.

guillensdisciple
04-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll say this much, if this does not pick up soon, we're going to hear a lot more Kenny whining about how ****ty we are as fans in the coming months. Way too many fans are getting fed up with this routine.

thomas35forever
04-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Fire Ozzie. I'd take Quade right now.
Surely, you can't be serious.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Surely, you can't be serious.

I am. And don't call me Shirley. Sorry, I had to :rolling:

RockJock07
04-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll say this much, if this does not pick up soon, we're going to hear a lot more Kenny whining about how ****ty we are as fans in the coming months. Way too many fans are getting fed up with this routine.

Kenny is a smart guy and knows this team blows right now, hopefully he understand why people are choosing not to come to the park.

Since I live out of town I only see the Sox on WGN so I actually haven't watched a live game yet and I'm ok with that, Kenny should be worried about the 9th inning not if people are showing up or not.

johnnyg83
04-18-2011, 12:09 AM
No reason to get angry if your team is disappointing. If you're winning and contending and people don't show, maybe you have a point.

JB98
04-18-2011, 12:09 AM

No, I wouldn't. I would blame Pierzynski if he had grounded into a double play.

Most people who know me will attest that I hate all this bunting ****. I don't care if "that's the way the game is supposed to be played." I like to see guys swinging the bats. I'll take my chance playing it that way. I'll live with whatever result comes from that. I find it preposterous to give away one of our precious three outs when we are down two in the ninth.

I always go back to Game 4 of the 2005 World Series. I about jumped for joy when Garner handed us the first out of the ninth inning in a 1-0 game. From a defensive standpoint, I'll gleefully accept outs whenever the opposition wants to give me one.

The Angels had to be delighted when Ozzie gave their rookie closer an out in that situation, just like the A's had to be delighted when Ozzie removed Buehrle from the game Monday night.

Not a good homestand by the Sox manager. Sometimes, you gotta think about what the opposition would like for you to do, then do the exact opposite.

doublem23
04-18-2011, 12:27 AM
No, I wouldn't. I would blame Pierzynski if he had grounded into a double play.

Most people who know me will attest that I hate all this bunting ****. I don't care if "that's the way the game is supposed to be played." I like to see guys swinging the bats. I'll take my chance playing it that way. I'll live with whatever result comes from that. I find it preposterous to give away one of our precious three outs when we are down two in the ninth.

I always go back to Game 4 of the 2005 World Series. I about jumped for joy when Garner handed us the first out of the ninth inning in a 1-0 game. From a defensive standpoint, I'll gleefully accept outs whenever the opposition wants to give me one.

The Angels had to be delighted when Ozzie gave their rookie closer an out in that situation, just like the A's had to be delighted when Ozzie removed Buehrle from the game Monday night.

Not a good homestand by the Sox manager. Sometimes, you gotta think about what the opposition would like for you to do, then do the exact opposite.

Excellent post

kufram
04-18-2011, 02:32 AM

It's not just the baseball decisions, which I guess you can question from time to time about every manager, but it's the constant drama that seems to surround him and the team.

Lip

This is pretty much where I am with Ozzie. I tend to defend things White Sox because that is what a fan should do as much as possible. Otherwise, I'd be a fan of a different club. Perhaps I was born in more polite times.

When I employ somebody the first question I ask myself is "does this person really WANT to do this job for me". Ozzie's passion for the White Sox is self-evident and it is pretty easy to manage a ball club after the fact and from the keyboard of a computer. It is also easy to transfer the anger one feels at losing to somebody/anybody out there in the ether.

I like the Tampa Bay manager, is it Joe Madden?, I may have his name incorrect. He appears from my chair to have game awareness, the ability to discipline major league hotshots, but the dignity to know when and how to do things. He's probably not available right now so I live with what we have.

Why don't we have some real suggestions on WHO to replace Ozzie with rather than just a ripping exercise, which really doesn't achieve anything.

A. Cavatica
04-18-2011, 05:51 AM
I've been an Ozzie supporter over the years- but he is off to a terrible start this year.

The bunt today completely changed the momentum of the game- he can't find a closer among Santos.Crain, Sale and Thornton, he uses a guy who will strike out 200 times this year and can't run in the #3 hole.

Using Dunn at the wrong spot in the lineup -- not Ozzie's fault. There is no "right" place to use a guy who will strike out 200 times a year and can't run. Dunn is who he is. (And on the nights where he draws two walks and hits two home runs, there's no wrong place to use him.)

Not being able to find a closer -- Kenny's fault, for sure. He's the one who thought Crain and Ohman were acceptable replacements for Jenks and Putz.

Bunting -- your fault. Ozzie has been making the same poor decisions for years, and hasn't shown any improvement as a field manager, so how could you expect different? You say you've been an Ozzie supporter over the years, and because you and others have supported him, he's somehow managed to hang on as Sox manager.

Stop supporting Ozzie, please, Chicago. He needs to go.

wassagstdu
04-18-2011, 06:00 AM
What a surprise that so many Sox fans would rather give 3 hitters a chance for a 3-run homer to win than give 2 hitters a chance for a single to tie.

ChiSoxGirl
04-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Teams that score 7 runs in a 3 game series, dont win many of those series.

Remember the good old days when the Sox would score seven runs in a game? I miss those occurrences of 10-14 days ago.

I couldn't agree with you more. We had runners at first and second with nobody out yesterday and Ozzie calls for the sacrifice bunt. When AJ came to the plate, I said to my boyfriend, "If AJ shows bunt, I'll brain him." What'd he do next? He showed bunt, and I let out a huge sigh of frustration. Giving away outs in the ninth inning is all kinds of stupid and made zero sense yesterday. While AJ did successfully sacrifice Quentin and Rios over (an unusual occurrence in and of itself), things could've been so much better had he swung away. I'm not saying he was guaranteed to get a hit, but I wouldn't have questioned the decision at all.

Meanwhile, we just had a 4-6 homestand, which is downright pathetic. I'm over the excuses of the weather being too cold or the Sox just needing to "tip their cap" to a good pitcher. The Sox had Haren on the ropes in the seventh, and when Scoscia went to the bullpen, the Sox hitters weren't exactly patient; I distinctly remember Pierre swinging weakly at the first pitch he saw to end the inning and potential rally. The Sox scored two, but maybe it would've been three or four had Pierre waited to see what Francisco Rodriguez had to offer.

Things looked so promising on Opening Day eleven days ago. Now, I feel like I did last April in regards to this team. :(:

doublem23
04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
What a surprise that so many Sox fans would rather give 3 hitters a chance for a 3-run homer to win than give 2 hitters a chance for a single to tie.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what we've been saying.

Jerko
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Nah, I'd rather give 3 hitters a chance to get a hit against a guy that hasn't gotten anybody out yet with 2 guys already on base. But on the bright side, the bunt DID work. Way to go AJ.

Bruizer
04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Here is an interesting statistical analysis proving that bunting actually decreases your chances of scoring a run (let alone two).

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2844

I have typically been a fan of the sac bunt but since seeing the Sox either fail to do so time and time again and/or failing to score as a result, I'm beginning to disagree with bunting in almost any situation.

So looking at the situation in the ninth using the old statisitics from 1983 and older, the average number of runs decreased from 1.380 to 1.371. Using the 2003 stats, the average number of runs decreases from 1.551 to 1.428.

Did the stats for runners on first and second with no outs include those stituations where a batter attempted to sacrifice the runners over? In other words, does the stat include all cases when there are runners on first and second with no outs, or only those cases where the batter did not attempt to scarifice the runners over? If they included all cases, then the statisitics are skewed. What we really need to see is a comparison of stats with runners on first and second with no outs between swinging away verses attempting to sacrifice.

That being said, I was disappointed that we gave up the out when we had to have two runs and the momentum was starting to shift.

October26
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Pretty ugly homestand. Hard to find any positives. But, if you dig pretty deep, the SOX will be done with their hardest part of the schedule in the next six weeks. Need to take the next fourty games one day at a time though. Things could get ugly if they don't keep their head up.

But, I am not going to get all negative. It is 15 games into the season and there is A TON of baseball to play. With as bad as things have been in the past week, we are still ahead of the Tigers and Twins, which really is all that matters. As good as the Royals and Indians have looked, there is very little chance either will win over 75 games this season (especially the Cleveland).

Let's win the series at TB.

Thank you for this positive post. Like many Sox fans, I'm irritated with the way our team has performed this past week, especially at home. Horrible homestand - definitely feels like we've seen this before; I look at all the talented players we have on this team and don't understand why most of them are underperforming.

I am also trying to remain positive and hope our Sox can start playing well against TB tonite.

doublem23
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Nah, I'd rather give 3 hitters a chance to get a hit against a guy that hasn't gotten anybody out yet with 2 guys already on base. But on the bright side, the bunt DID work. Way to go AJ.

Really the only good thing that came out of that inning, was AJ's perfect bunt. If only he was a few years younger and could have beaten it out to 1st.

RTI_SoxFan
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
So looking at the situation in the ninth using the old statisitics from 1983 and older, the average number of runs decreased from 1.380 to 1.371. Using the 2003 stats, the average number of runs decreases from 1.551 to 1.428.

Did the stats for runners on first and second with no outs include those stituations where a batter attempted to sacrifice the runners over? In other words, does the stat include all cases when there are runners on first and second with no outs, or only those cases where the batter did not attempt to scarifice the runners over? If they included all cases, then the statisitics are skewed. What we really need to see is a comparison of stats with runners on first and second with no outs between swinging away verses attempting to sacrifice.

That being said, I was disappointed that we gave up the out when we had to have two runs and the momentum was starting to shift.

This is saying only that when you have runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out, you will on average score 1.551 runs. When you move them each over 90 feet to 2nd and 3rd with ONE out, your average decreases to 1.428. Therefore, bunting there decreased our chances to score a run(s) and when we needed 2 runs, probably not a good idea to bunt.

Jerko
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
This is saying only that when you have runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out, you will on average score 1.551 runs. When you move them each over 90 feet to 2nd and 3rd with ONE out, your average decreases to 1.428. Therefore, bunting there decreased our chances to score a run(s) and when we needed 2 runs, probably not a good idea to bunt.

I wonder what those numbers are against pitchers who just came into the game? I'm against giving anybody their first out via a bunt.

JB98
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Really the only good thing that came out of that inning, was AJ's perfect bunt. If only he was a few years younger and could have beaten it out to 1st.

The sad thing is I didn't even clap for AJ when he was jogging back to the dugout. He executed what the manager wanted him to do perfectly. He probably deserved my applause for that, but I was too pissed at our manager for killing a potential game-winning rally.

KMcMahon817
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
My point exactly. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Oh, so opinions aren't allowed on a message board now? :rolleyes: Sheesh.

dickallen15
04-18-2011, 12:52 PM
The last time the Angels swept the White Sox in Chicago was 2005. I'm not tying cinder blocks to my ankles and jumping off a bridge just yet.

doublem23
04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, so opinions aren't allowed on a message board now? :rolleyes: Sheesh.

No, actually, that's basically the exact opposite of what Brian posted.

jdm2662
04-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Why so many bad vibes about Ozzie? He's got da fire and da passion! He's perfect for da Chicago way!

I always felt Ozzie was a good manager despite the fact he is a classless *******. His piece of crap family didn't help my opinion of him. I usually can get past this stuff as long as the performance is still present. He hasn't exactly had a good start to the season. I was hoping last year would be his last, but I wasn't going to lose sleep if he was brought back. If the Sox flop this year, I can't say I will be wanting him back. Hopefully, we can finally get over the fire and passion garbage. A boring personality works for me as long as there are results.

tstrike2000
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
As for Ozzie and bunting, he has always done this. This isn't new. He likes to have his team bunt. AJ didn't seem mad to bunt. AJ is maybe one of the few guys who can move runners over.

It's true of Ozzie liking to bunt, but this statement contradicts one another. Ozzie likes to bunt with a lot of the lineup, but most them can't bunt properly.

kufram
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
The last time the Angels swept the White Sox in Chicago was 2005. I'm not tying cinder blocks to my ankles and jumping off a bridge just yet.

Yes, the obituaries don't need honed just yet. One week ago everybody was pretty excited. We're one strong week from everyone being happy again.

palehozenychicty
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
This week was definitely a struggle, but it is early. Hitting is always slow to get consistent in April. I just want that closer spot solidified, then I think we'll be alright if no major injuries occur.

The Immigrant
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
The sad thing is I didn't even clap for AJ when he was jogging back to the dugout. He executed what the manager wanted him to do perfectly. He probably deserved my applause for that, but I was too pissed at our manager for killing a potential game-winning rally.

I was sitting about 10 rows behind the Sox dugout and was amazed to see A.J. get a standing ovation from most of the crowd around me. One guy behind me went from six to midnight the second A.J. squared around to bunt. It was surreal. All I kept thinking was "there goes one of our precious outs."