PDA

View Full Version : white flag or go for broke?

baggio202
07-06-2002, 05:43 PM
here is the scenario....the sox come to the end of july 4 games under .500..minnesota also struggles through july and is 4 games over .500....so we are 4 games back on the last day to make a trade...word comes down that the owners and the players union decide to finish the season and there will be no strike until atleast april of '03 so their will be a world series..if you were gm would you

a.) go for broke and trade away guy in the farm (maybe crede and malone) for a starter and a closer or possible closer for the sox and try overtake the twinkies

or

b.) look to dump durham , lofton and maybe clayton or some other vets for a good number of quality prospects

nut_stock
07-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Under that scenario, I'd go for it! We can be a player in next years free agent market as we'll probably be ridding Ray's and Clayton's salaries.

KempersRS
07-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

b.) look to dump durham , lofton and maybe clayton or some other vets for a good number of quality prospects

Uh, no way do you get a good number of quality prospects for garbage like Lofton and Clayton.

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Deal away Ray and others.

Even if they got a starter or a big bat, they won't get past the M's or Yankees. So don't waste my time, and get the kids up here.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2002, 06:54 PM
The strike will probably wipe out the remainder of the season, and perhaps a few more after that, too. Thus...

Keep as many prospects as possible in the minor leagues so they can keep playing. Leave worthless pieces of crap veterans in the everyday lineup because their contracts all end this season and you won't even pay that amount after they walk out.

Do anything to try and catch Minnesota for the division title? Hahahahaha! Very funny.

Need you look further for an explanation why Crede and others aren't seriously being considered for the 2002 Sox?

The looming strike explains just about all the nonsense surrounding the 2002 Sox, doesn't it?

:reinsy
"Watch what I do, not what I say."

WhiteSoxWinner
07-06-2002, 06:57 PM
This would have been a good poll question. I say go for it. I'm tired of white-flagging and saying its no good this year.

CerberusWG
07-06-2002, 09:21 PM
Keep them until the end of season and let them go. That way we will get supplemental draft picks coming out of our you know what.

voodoochile
07-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Keep them until the end of season and let them go. That way we will get supplemental draft picks coming out of our you know what.

Only if we offer them arbitration which we won't...

JoeBatters
07-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Baggio Baggio Baggio , still upset about the World Cup I see !

UUMMMMMMMM , no White Flag Trade , Stick it out and KILL !

:joebatters
" Baggio goin crazy are what ? "
" By the way Bro , How youuuuuuuuuu Dooinnnnnn ? "

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 11:22 PM
yeah what will happen to the draft and how will they select the order? :?:

voodoochile
07-07-2002, 01:34 AM
Provided there is no strike and the season continues through to completion, the answer for me comes down to two issues...

1) How do the Sox look at that point in time? I would assume that going .500 over the next 3.5 weeks would mean they have been pretty lifeless, but if they are coming on and the Twins are dropping toward the end of the month, then you have to consider at least letting the current group finish the year with little change, IMO. JR cannot afford more bad publicity from tanking a season with a division title still within reach. The outcry would rattle the upper deck at Comiskey and the newspapers would have an absolute field day. Hopefully he recognizes this fact. Even if the Sox have been playing pretty lifelessly through the whole stretch, he would be playing with serious fire to trade off the veterans and call it a season. Should there subsequently be a strike, it would also create a lot of questions like, "what did JR know and when did he know it?" He can ill afford to look like a driving force in getting the WS canceled - again. The Sox would be effectively done in this town unless he were to sell the team at that point in time, IMO.

2) What is the story with Minnesota? Have their starters returned? Are they looking like they will put Minnesota over the top, or is it a desperate move being made by a desperate team? To tell you the truth, the Twins have been impressing me recently. They are beating the crap out of Seattle and Oakland on the road this last week. They look a lot better than many of us gave them credit for. At a time when many Sox fans, me included, were hoping to make up some ground because of the disparate schedule over this week and the next few, the Twins have more than held their own, they have actually extended their lead by a couple of games. Some of that is because the Sox are showing signs of starting to crack and give up, but most of it is the Twins who have clearly taken this west coast trip and the week before the AS game as a challange to play good ball and prove they are not just a second class team from the AL alsoran division. Even if they do not continue their hot play, they would have to go 8 games under .500 in the next 20 games to reach the 4 games over .500 number. Some how I don't see them going 6-14 between now and the end of July, but I've been wrong before...

Randar68
07-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Deal away Ray and others.

Even if they got a starter or a big bat, they won't get past the M's or Yankees. So don't waste my time, and get the kids up here.

Making the playoffs and another quick first round exit is not worth trading away the foundation of the future at this point.

Ray, Clayton, Jose, Lofton, Sandy, and maybe Lee need to hit the road and dump that 20+ million in salary. When the next group of kids mature, we will be much more ready to start filling the pieces in.

If the Ritchie trade isn't evidence enough, do you trust KW to give the right package for the right players?

Randar68
07-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

With a new CBA, one of the few things the players and owners agree upon is some sort of world-wide draft and changing the compensation system. There's no guranteee we get anything.