PDA

View Full Version : David Eckstein - is it over for him?

Fenway
04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I got to know David when he was coming up in the Boston system in the laste 90's. First time I saw him in a short-season A game I told a friend with me ( who was the sports editor of the Providence Journal) - this kid at second base is going to make it to the show. My friend laughed at the time....but he remembered what I said and 4 years later he wrote that I had nailed it.

I remember one night in Norwich, CT when the Trenton manager gave him the second game off...and STILL Eckstein asked to be the first base coach...

My son was a big fan of his and one night in Portland, Maine David spent close to 30 minutes talking to him. While they were talking, the Trenton bus driver and I were chatting and he told me Eckstein was one of the finest persons he had ever met. This article just reaffirms that..

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201103/beloved-baseball-family-gives-live

He made any team he was on better and has 2 rings and a World Series MVP... I can't believe nobody has picked him up.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
For some reason I've always like Eckstein. Sad to see how some players careers end up winding down.

WhiteSox5187
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I love David Eckstein because he is one of the few major leaguers that I am taller than. He irritated the stat people because he really did bring a bunch of intangibles to the table that couldn't be defined. But he is now over 35 and I can see why a team wouldn't want to take a gamble on any guy that age, let alone a guy who can't hit for power and is limited to only one defensive position now. I can see him being a good manager one day though.

Gavin
04-15-2011, 07:03 PM
He was the grindiest grinder of them all.

Fenway
04-15-2011, 07:08 PM
He was the grindiest grinder of them all.

I would bet a years pay that if he ever thought he was hurting a team, he would quit and not take a nickle more..

Madvora
04-15-2011, 07:27 PM
The 2002 Angels 1-2 punch of Erstad and Eckstein was my all time non-Sox favorite. I fell in love with that team during their playoff run.

khan
05-04-2011, 02:19 PM
At this point, the SOX and Beckham suck so much that I'd be in favor of signing Eckstein, and sending Beckham down to Birmingham. [This is something that needed to be done a year ago, IMO.] I'd also name Eckstein the damn captain of the team to send a message to the veterans that aren't performing.

Hell, send Sale down while we're at it. He isn't helping the team, and HE isn't being helped by being here.

Send Morel down, too. Though it really isn't his fault that the team sucks, he can't be helped by riding pine. He also can't help the team if the majority of the lineup sucks at hitting. But, he can't be playing regularly if the team is THIS starved for offense.

All this said, no move will rescue this team, IMO.

CHISOXFAN13
05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
At this point, the SOX and Beckham suck so much that I'd be in favor of signing Eckstein, and sending Beckham down to Birmingham. [This is something that needed to be done a year ago, IMO.] I'd also name Eckstein the damn captain of the team to send a message to the veterans that aren't performing.

Hell, send Sale down while we're at it. He isn't helping the team, and HE isn't being helped by being here.

Send Morel down, too. Though it really isn't his fault that the team sucks, he can't be helped by riding pine. He also can't help the team if the majority of the lineup sucks at hitting. But, he can't be playing regularly if the team is THIS starved for offense.

All this said, no move will rescue this team, IMO.

So you want to name Eckstein a captain to send a message. Just in case you haven't noticed, the current captain IS performing.

But we should see if we can send him down, too.

khan
05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
So you want to name Eckstein a captain to send a message. Just in case you haven't noticed, the current captain IS performing.

But we should see if we can send him down, too.

See the Ozz-pologists, the "In Kenny We Trust" types, the "Walker isn't the one not hitting" types, the "Coop'll fix 'em" types and Ranger all want to absolve the management of ever doing any wrong.

Instead, ALL these types point to the players as being at fault.

Thus, removing the captain of the team is tantamount to punishing the veterans in the clubhouse. You can't trade all 25 guys, and the overwhelming majority of the veterans have little trade value at present, due to their suckiness.

Sending down the youngsters is a way for those guys to be punished for poor performance, but Dunn and Rios are out of options. Thus, the captain takes the bullet for them.