PDA

View Full Version : Mauer on 15 day DL

DumpJerry
04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Joe-Mauer-placed-on-disabled-list-041411

doublem23
04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Praise Jesus, we need every break we can get.

ChiSoxGal85
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not too sad about that. Interesting...leg weakness? Hmmmm.

doublem23
04-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not too sad about that. Interesting...leg weakness? Hmmmm.

He had knee surgery this past off-season. May not have had enough rehab to be behind the plate 6 days a week.

DumpJerry
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Ramon Castro for Joe Nathan?

VMSNS
04-14-2011, 10:52 PM
So...is this the start of Mauer's career at 1B or DH?

WhiteSox5187
04-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Who is their right fielder? Could he play that?

KMcMahon817
04-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Mauer has always taken reps at 3B in pre-game warmups and ST. I bet that is where he plays after his catching days and before his DH-only days. But...that won't happen for a couple more years.

palehozenychicty
04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Honestly, he hasn't been right ever since he signed that deal. The Twins HAD to do it, but damn, if we get a closer, this division is ours. :angry:

thomas35forever
04-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Dammit. He's on my fantasy team (which doesn't start until Monday).

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Honestly, he hasn't been right ever since he signed that deal. His 2010 season was almost identical to his 2008 season.

DirtySox
04-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Bilateral leg weakness can be a very serious issue depending on its cause. Another Sox site that I gather I'm not supposed to link to has a nice writeup on it.

It's a neurological issue and has nothing to do with his recent knee surgery. The cause can be a viral infection or the by-product of a bout with the flu. It can also be caused by a tick bite or West Nile Virus. In other instances it can be a sign of multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma, or even ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

Edit: Found a link. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/352012-bilateral-weakness-in-the-leg-muscles/)

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Bilateral leg weakness can be a very serious issue depending on its cause. Another Sox site that I gather I'm not supposed to link to has a nice writeup on it.

It's a neurological issue and has nothing to do with his recent knee surgery. The cause can be a viral infection or the by-product of a bout with the flu. It can also be caused by a tick bite or West Nile Virus. In other instances it can be a sign of multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma, or even ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).
Or the lower-back problems he's had?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-15-2011, 12:52 AM

All baseball allegiances aside, I hope to God it's not anything as serious as those last three diseases.

Hopefully it's not serious, but I do hope that Mauer decides to take his doctor's advice and sit out the rest of the season to "recuperate", preferably on a beach drinking pina coladas somewhere in Cancun. :cool:

JermaineDye05
04-15-2011, 12:55 AM
All baseball allegiances aside, I hope to God it's not anything as serious as those last three diseases.

Hopefully it's not serious, but I do hope that Mauer decides to take his doctor's advice and sit out the rest of the season to "recuperate", preferably on a beach drinking pina coladas somewhere in Cancun. :cool:

Agreed.

I also hope that this doesn't hurt his career too much, the past couple of seasons he's looked like he's been on a path straight to the HOF.

PalehosePlanet
04-15-2011, 01:54 AM
His 2010 season was almost identical to his 2008 season.

Yes, but his mega contract was based on his 1.031 OPS season of 2009. Had he had the same season in '09 that he had in '08, his contract, which he signed in March of 2010, would have been half the size of what he received.

I doubt with the dimensions of the new park that he'll ever approach his '09 numbers again.

I do hope that this is nothing too serious and that he's able to resume playing soon. However, I do believe that the Twins will move him from behind the plate fairly soon. Maybe as soon as the start of next year.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Another lucky break for the Sox. This team really needs to get going and take advantage of these breaks. I don't want to say the Twins are a team the Sox don't have to worry about, because they always seem to be right there at the end of the year, but this team doesn't seem like they have it this year.

cws05champ
04-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Boy I bet they wish they had Wilson Ramos back now...

Bruizer
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM
15 days on the DL - he'll be back in time for the two-game series at the Cell in May.

Zisk77
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
15 days on the DL - he'll be back in time for the two-game series at the Cell in May.

You mean he'll be eligible to play. He still may not be physically capable of playing.

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Yes, but his mega contract was based on his 1.031 OPS season of 2009. Had he had the same season in '09 that he had in '08, his contract, which he signed in March of 2010, would have been half the size of what he received. You may be right, but I think being the first catcher to ever win three batting titles had something to do with it as well.

Marqhead
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
How many more years/months/games until he's at 1st or DH full time?

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 11:59 AM
How many more years/months/games until he's at 1st or DH full time?I don't see them moving Morneau to make room at 1st. If this physical problem is temporary, I'd see 3rd as more likely; he takes grounders at third during warmups a lot.

Taliesinrk
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Or the lower-back problems he's had?

Yes.

Foulke You
04-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Boy I bet they wish they had Wilson Ramos back now...
I said the same thing when I heard the news about Mauer. I remember scratching my head when they moved Ramos for Matt Capps. It made little sense because it left them with no catching depth the next time Mauer went to the DL. The Twins were foolish to think that wouldn't happen again.