PDA

View Full Version : possible broadening of instant replay

chisoxfanatic
04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6353837

I could definitely support this to lessen the "human element" and get more calls right. It's not like instant replay takes much extra time, and games seem to be going more quickly since they limited time between pitches. Missed fair/foul calls and trapped balls can largely impact the game. This could happen next year.

FielderJones
04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I look forward to the day that the strike zone is called by machine (no teal).

Scottiehaswheels
04-15-2011, 03:21 PM
How would they assign the base a batter receives on a missed fair/foul ball? Treat it the same way as a ground rule double? Not make a call if there will be any question of fair/foul and have the defensive team get the ball back in and then decide?

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I can't wait until the first time a foul call gets reversed with men on base. The argument that ensues about the placement of the runners will be epic.

Runners on first and second, shot down the line. Ump calls foul. He's reversed on replay. Do they just award a single and advance each runner a base? Do they send the runner from second home? Do they make it first and third? Do they award a double and send both runners home? What if Ichiro's the fielder; do they assume that with his arm the runners wouldn't have tried to score? Or do they assume he'd have thrown the runner out at the plate?

Oh, this will be fun.

Fenway
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
umpires are NEVER wrong

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae185/BLOG4LYFE/galarragaclass2.jpg

downstairs
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I can't wait until the first time a foul call gets reversed with men on base. The argument that ensues about the placement of the runners will be epic.

Runners on first and second, shot down the line. Ump calls foul. He's reversed on replay. Do they just award a single and advance each runner a base? Do they send the runner from second home? Do they make it first and third? Do they award a double and send both runners home? What if Ichiro's the fielder; do they assume that with his arm the runners wouldn't have tried to score? Or do they assume he'd have thrown the runner out at the plate?

Oh, this will be fun.

I agree that it'll happen, but to me its better than having a wrong call. At least the team will get something out of the hit.

Now another interesting thing... what happens when a foul is called, its reversed... but the outcome isn't really what the hitting team wants?

Like... they're in a situation where they really need a bigger hit than a single, and a superstar clutch hitter is up there swinging for the fences.

soltrain21
04-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Oh, this will be fun.

Make players run the 40, and award each player a grade. The grade depends on how many bases they advance. Oh, but wait - we have to have the outfielders throw a baseball through a tire from different areas in the field and measure accuracy/throwing speed so they all get grades, too.

Basic equation figured out in seconds. The wildcard, however, is the probability that the player trips and falls rounding a base. I guess we figure that out by a dance contest.

Nellie_Fox
04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I guess we figure that out by a dance contest.I like it!

soltrain21
04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I like it!

That, or each manager gets 20 sided D and D style dice.

Ozzie - Cox would have sent Beckham home!

Ump - Okay, you have to roll (checks sheet) a 15 or above for him to be safe.

SephClone89
04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
That, or each manager gets 20 sided D and D style dice.

Ozzie - Cox would have sent Beckham home!

Ump - Okay, you have to roll (checks sheet) a 15 or above for him to be safe.

:gulp:

Ex-Chicagoan
04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Just break out the Strat-o-Matic cards for the players in question and consult the "taking extra bases" chart.

TDog
04-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Oh, this will be fun.

I think you point out how widespread use of instant replay ultimately would be impractical in baseball. Unlike other sports played with a ball, scoring generally occurs a distance from where the ball is located, and multiple people who have no contact with the ball can score on the same play.

Of course, if you have to have a dugout appeal of a call to have it reviewed, especially if you limit a team's appeals, you don't have instant replay. You only have the league lying to the fans in their claims that they have instant replay. Unless you have a replay umpire reviewing everything that happens, watching the ball and all the baserunners and overruling any call that is shown to be in error by the field umpires, you don't have instant replay. But you might be able to convince enough that you do to improve your public relations.

The reason that the umpires don't sit in front of television screens is that things happen so quickly in baseball. Many plays require immediate calls from umpires to progress to their ultimate conclusion. An umpire behind second base runs out to rule if a ball is caught or trapped, and runners, especially if the bases are loaded, watch the umpire to determine whether to return to the base to tag up or run to the next base.

It isn't just a matter of the time it takes between plays to review calls that would slow down the game. There is nothing wrong with the dead-ball home run calls. Managers are going to argue anyway. But even extending review to safe or out calls on first would tear the fabric of a game if a runner was thrown out because he believed there was a forceout that an umpire called although the replay showed there was not.

Umpires need to do a better job so that people who don't appreciate baseball for what it is and don't appreciate why there has to be a human factor will quit whining that baseball needs instant replay.

Fenway
04-15-2011, 07:41 PM
We just had a case at Fenway where the umpires got the review wrong - and they took away a 3-run Toronto home run. NESN replay showed it was a HR not foul......