PDA

View Full Version : By the Numbers

Lip Man 1
04-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Gang:

It was bugging me all through the basketball banquet tonight that I was at, if this was the worst stretch of games by a Sox bullpen.

I honestly don’t have an answer to that question because I don’t have the ability to rapidly check through all the box scores of every season since the save rule came into play but it appears to be so.

I have not found (in my as noted incomplete review) of the 1996, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2010 seasons an instance of a stretch of games where the Sox bullpen blew and lost three games in the 9th inning inside of a week.

This year they lost games with a lead in the 9th inning on April 8th, April 11th and April 13th. Three times in six games, all in the 9th inning.

There have been some stretches that have been close in putrid-ness but not as bad. I’ve listed them below:

2010 season:

4-8 lost to Cleveland giving up the lead in the 8th inning.
4-9 lost to Minnesota giving up the lead in the 7th inning.
4-10 lost to Minnesota giving up the lead in the 7th inning.

8-14 lost to Detroit giving up the lead in the 9th inning.
8-15 lost to Detroit giving up the lead in the 8th inning.
8-17 lost to Minnesota giving up the lead in the 10th inning.

9-14 lost to Minnesota giving up the lead in the 7th inning.
9-17 lost to Detroit giving up the lead in the 7th inning.
9-19 lost to Detroit giving up the lead in the 7th inning.

2004:
6-2 lost to Oakland giving up the lead in the 9th inning.
6-6 lost to Seattle giving up the lead in the 9th inning.

1996: (Note: This is the season the Sox set the record – since broken – for having the most blown saves in a season. It played a large part in them losing the wild card lead the final month.)

7-25 lost to Texas giving up the lead in the 8th inning.
7-27 lost to Texas giving up the lead in the 8th inning.
7-31 lost to Oakland giving up the lead in the 8th inning.

The 1996 stretch and the August 2010 stretch is about the closest I can find but nothing seems to compare with what has happened the past week. Nothing. Also it may be coincidence, it may not be, I don't know, but the majority of these bad weeks have come during Ozzie's tenure as manager (and you guys know I like Ozzie and think he's the right guy to manage)...maybe some of the things Bobby Jenks said though about managing a bullpen have some merit.

:o:

Lip

JermaineDye05
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
You can't ignore the bullpen struggles. You just can't.

HOWEVER, we can't ignore the defense's hand in this.

This stretch wouldn't look so dismal if we made a few routine plays in those games.

EDIT: Going by the numbers, has this been the worst defensive stretch for the Sox in recent memory? I can't remember seeing so many errors in a week. However, they could just be magnified because we've paid for seemingly every one.

LoveYourSuit
04-13-2011, 11:59 PM
It gives me hope that these guys are struggling not because of injuries, I think we can assume that no one is hurt physically at least.

So it's all mental here, not lack of talent.

Plus despite all this, we have had a lead in every game this year so far.

I expect one of these guys to finaly decide to take the bull by the horn and claim this 9th inning job. Then I also expect OFs to catch the ball the rest of the way.

I'm not upset at Ozzie as much as I continue to question how good Coop really is with this staff. I have been saying this for years now. Coop should do his job as a pitching coach sitting in the bullpen instead of the dugout. Every year it's always an issue with the bullpen.

JB98
04-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Here's a not-so-fun fact for ya:

The Sox have had the lead after eight innings in every one of their previous seven games. Their record? 4-3.

That's rough. This could have been a long winning streak. Instead, we've got this to deal with.

Big Hurt so good
04-14-2011, 04:09 AM
The only numbers you need:

Matt Thornton: 4.2 innings, 11 hits, 4 walks, 3 K's, 10 runs (4 earned), 7.71 ERA, 3.21 WHIP, 0-2 record, 0-for-4 saves...

I am pretty sure it's impossible to post worse numbers than that

I was at the game Monday night that he blew... while Pierre's dropped ball certainly hurt, the guy was just hit hard... leadoff double, the out to first was crushed, and the ball to Pierre wasn't a lazy fly it had some smoke on it...

Whether it's all mental, poor location or a loss in velocity Thornton is the problem as closer... put Santos or Sale in that role and hopefully it improves...

doublem23
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm not upset at Ozzie as much as I continue to question how good Coop really is with this staff. I have been saying this for years now. Coop should do his job as a pitching coach sitting in the bullpen instead of the dugout. Every year it's always an issue with the bullpen.

That means every coaching visit to the mound would be Ozzie, which, uh, no thanks.

soxinem1
04-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Going by the numbers, has this been the worst defensive stretch for the Sox in recent memory? I can't remember seeing so many errors in a week. However, they could just be magnified because we've paid for seemingly every one.

Thus far, the 2011 White Sox remind me of the 1982 White Sox. Solid pitching, solid lineup, a little speed............ and Iron Glove Award winners across the diamond.

Pierre has reminded me of Ron LeFlore, and Alexei looks like Bill Almon.

Thing is, most of that team was not know for their defensive prowess.

This team can do better.