PDA

View Full Version : Bonds guilty of one charge, all other charges hung

downstairs
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6347014

Frontman
04-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Only confirmed what we already know:

Bonds is an egotistical liar who felt he was above the law.

MLB muddied the waters so much about steroids cast a shadow of doubt when it comes to issues regarding their use during the "steroid era."

soxinem1
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Must have been a reunion of the Blago jury....

TDog
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Rumor has it that Bonds wanted to testify in his own defense, but his attorney advised him that was what got him into the mess in the first place.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Must have been a reunion of the Blago jury....

Even though it should seem SO easy to prove, you have to prove he KNOWINGLY used steroids and that's a hard one to prove.

SI1020
04-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Former boss of the Bonanno crime family Joseph Massino is singing a long tune for the feds, but Barry Bonds still has Greg Anderson to thank for mostly beating the rap. Old school guys like that are a rare find today.

happydude
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Former boss of the Bonanno crime family Joseph Massino is singing a long tune for the feds, but Barry Bonds still has Greg Anderson to thank for mostly beating the rap. Old school guys like that are a rare find today.

No doubt. Anderson has spent, what, over a year in jail all together for refusing to talk about Bonds? Either he's one of the greatest friends ever or Barry gave him a ton of cash when it became clear there was going to be an investigation.

geofitz
04-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Hopefully Barry Big Head gave Anderson mucho dinero to stay in the slammer and keep quiet.

I wish they would have nailed him on all counts, but one's better than nothing!

soxinem1
04-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Even though it should seem SO easy to prove, you have to prove he KNOWINGLY used steroids and that's a hard one to prove.

Oh, I know. I just noticed the parallels on the lone conviction and the hung jury on the other counts.

If anything you have to give Anderson credit for not selling out, however, I'll bet there is a huge pile of $$$$ waiting for him somewhere.

soxfanreggie
04-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Considering the punishment others received, even if the conviction isn't thrown out (wouldn't surprise me if it was based on the work product of the prosecution/investigators), I could see him getting 6 months house arrest. I am guessing Barry has a couple houses where he wouldn't mind living for 6 months.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Not true. There were numerous allegations of lying under oath. One of them was that he said Anderson never injected him with ANYTHING. They don't have to prove what it was, just that he lied about being injected.

stacksedwards
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Trial is huge waste of fedearl money conviction or not. Its not a crime to be a piece of crap

doublem23
04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Trial is huge waste of fedearl money conviction or not. Its not a crime to be a piece of crap

It is a crime to lie to the federal government about being a piece of crap, though.

Nellie_Fox
04-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Trial is huge waste of fedearl money conviction or not. Its not a crime to be a piece of crapThe prosecutors get paid anyway; it's not like they went out and hired new people just to prosecute Bonds.

The Immigrant
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
The prosecutors get paid anyway; it's not like they went out and hired new people just to prosecute Bonds.

Right, it's basically a sunk cost.

But the fact remains that this was not a very productive use of government resources, particularly once it became clear that Anderson would continue to keep his mouth shut.

downstairs
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
The prosecutors get paid anyway; it's not like they went out and hired new people just to prosecute Bonds.

The prosecutor's salaries are probably only a fraction of the costs here. There are hundreds of other things that go into building such a mammoth case.

Plus manhours are a zero-sum game unless you hire more people to do the jobs these prosecutors couldn't while concentrating on this case.

Its not like the prosecutors would just sit around doing nothing, being paid, if they weren't on the Bonds case.

Frontman
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Costs shouldn't figure into the reasoning to prosecute someone. That being said, even if Bonds would go to jail, nothing changes. He still will be the "home run king" no matter what.

Selig and company have nothing to be ashamed of. Afterall, they allowed this to continue, and Bonds took advantage of it.

SI1020
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Right, it's basically a sunk cost.

But the fact remains that this was not a very productive use of government resources, particularly once it became clear that Anderson would continue to keep his mouth shut. I agree. This is just a prosecution of a high profile defendant in order to get that notch on your belt. The time, money and energy would have been much better spent elsewhere.

palehozenychicty
04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Right. It is a waste of time.

stacksedwards
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
It is a crime to lie to the federal government about being a piece of crap, though.
They charged him with misleading the federal government. There is a good chance the one charge is thrown out.