Marqhead
04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Alexei.....yes!

DirtySox
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I love Alexei's homer hands! :bandance:

vinny
What a crazy game. Thank God GoGoCrede was in attendance.

WhiteSoxOnly
Cool.

soltrain21
Alright, let's make Santos the closer and get the defense's head on straight and do this.

ebit
That was such a satisfying win. The homeplate ump's underwear was really hanging out towards the end there.

doublem23
04-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice grab by the guy in LF, showing no regard for the physical well-being of the blonde he was with. :cool:

thomas35forever
When David Letterman said in his monologue it was his birthday today, I had a feeling something good was gonna happen. I flipped back to the game and sure enough, I saw the ball headed for the bleachers. Nice catch by the fan too.

beasly213
What a catch by the fan out there in left!

sullythered
Alright, let's make Santos the closer and get the defense's head on straight and do this.

****ing exactly. We have the horses in the pen, we just need to sort that **** out.

soxnut1018
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
ALEXEI! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! :bandance:

kM7C_yNlCLU

doublem23

It really needs to be either Santos or Sale right now. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of juggling Thornton around after the loss to Tampa Bay, but yesterday he was getting jacked up. He needs to be out of that role for a little bit.

I'm only partial to Sale because after Santos, who is your go-to RHP in the bullpen? Crain? Pena?

Gavin
That must've been one god-awful game to be at, except for the ending :)

voodoochile
Didn't get to see much of this game, but what I did see I enjoyed immensely.

The Cuban Missile has launched a pair of bombs and that's all she wrote...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

JermaineDye05
04-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Alexei.....

YES!

YES!!

YES!!!

YES!!!!

YEEEEES!!!!!!

I thought this guy was supposed to suck in April.

Boondock Saint
So much for waiting until May to see Alexei hit.

MUsoxfan
I love my DVR. I've watched that bomb 15 times already. Glorious!

Hendu
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
What a relief. Other than Pena's bad performance, the bullpen was great. Santos and Sale were dominating. More adventures in the outfield though.

An ugly game, but a win's a win and we needed this after what happened last night.

ChiSoxGal85
Phew!!!! Craziness abounds, but a good result. This team needed that.

Santos + Sale = effective.

Good to see Adam back and nice slide into 2nd to help break up a double play. Hope he didn't hurt himself!

TCQ has definitely cooled down since his hot start.

I don't think Rios has found his groove yet, and I wonder if he taking it to the outfield with him.

SephClone89
That must've been one god-awful game to be at, except for the ending :)

I've never been to a walk-off win before.

OmahaSoxFan
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Gotta love Alexei with the walk-off blast... so awesome that he knew it was gone once he hit it... What a great sign also that Alexei is hitting well in April - we haven't seen this before, but damn this is a great sign.

Finally the Sox come back to take a game (even though the Sox had control of this game early as well)... 7-4 to start the year isn't too bad, but it could be a whole heck of a lot better too.

Great work by Santos and Sale too... either of those guys should be up for the closer job, and I am leaning towards Santos just slightly if Ozzie changes things up as he should.

BigHurt3515
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
What is it, June??
ALEXEI!!!!

SOX WIN!!! :bandance:

WhiteSoxOnly
04-12-2011, 10:50 PM

You said it.Give the guy a crack at it and let's find out.

GoGoCrede
My streak continues!!!!! Omg happy birthday to me!

Zakath

Good to see Adam back and nice slide into 2nd to help break up a double play. Hope he didn't hurt himself!

I don't think Rios has found his groove yet, and I wonder if he taking it to the outfield with him.

Only his first error of the season, but I think the frustration started to show on the strikeout.

OmahaSoxFan

:):bandance:

Crooked Number
04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Wacky, Wild, Whitesox. Another one tonight. Pierre atones for another drop in left with an rbi hit. Rios pulls a Pierre and drops one himself. Vizquel does his best Willy Mays Hayes impression tonight and crushes 3 basehits.

Santos and Sale bolster the pen and pitch terrific. That was huge for this team. Santos for closer. Jump on board everyone, this is a no brainer.

Alexei follows Paulie from sunday with two bombs. Needed this one.

JermaineDye05

He started cooling down once Dunn was taken out of the lineup.

I think now that he's back, Quentin will start hitting again.

He wasn't going to hit .500 all season though.

BigHurt3515

WOOO Happy Birthday!!

JermaineDye05
Hopefully Edwin and Alexei can bury the hatchet. We need a cool clubhouse if we're going to win a world series.

doublem23
04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
This team can be frustrating as all hell, but they have the heart of a champion. No quit, at least not yet. After last night's debacle and blowing a 3-run lead tonight, would have been easy to pack it in, but they chipped away and found a way to get a big win.

Get the series win tomorrow and enjoy a day off. :cool:

BigHurt3515
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Sox Win!
Bulls Win!

rookie
04-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Sox Win!
Bulls Win!

Woo hoo! I'm so glad we won that. I didn't want to lose another extra innings game.

Thome_Fan
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
For some reason the walk off homer is not one of the highlight videos on whitesox.com... I want to see it.

Zakath
Gotta love Alexei with the walk-off blast... so awesome that he knew it was gone once he hit it... What a great sign also that Alexei is hitting well in April - we haven't seen this before, but damn this is a great sign.

April's not over yet, but we haven't seen anything close to this from him this early. His best April was last year, and he hit .221.

JermaineDye05
This team can be frustrating as all hell, but they have the heart of a champion. No quit, at least not yet. After last night's debacle and blowing a 3-run lead tonight, would have been easy to pack it in, but they chipped away and found a way to get a big win.

Get the series win tomorrow and enjoy a day off. :cool:

That's three times now they've come back after a tough loss to get a win.

Now if only they can cut back on the tough losses.

Crooked Number
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
What a catch by the fan out there in left!

Just hit rewind to watch it again. The final replay is a great look at it. That has to be one of the best home run catches you will see! Falling backwards and still grabs it. He looks like a WSI'er. Will we see a "Caught the Alexei walkoff" thread? :D:

Rikirk
04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Twas a thing of beauty it was.

Jazzhands Alexi.:bandance:

vinny
04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
For some reason the walk off homer is not one of the highlight videos on whitesox.com... I want to see it.

This will have to tide you over until the video goes up:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/photos?gameId=310412104&photoId=1260195#photo_1260195

SoxSpeed22
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
As long as we tighten up the D and reshape the pen, I think we've still got what it takes.

jaguiar2
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Hopefully Edwin and Alexei can bury the hatchet. We need a cool clubhouse if we're going to win a world series.

What happened?

NDSox12
04-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Thank you Alexei! That's twice now the Sox have rebounded from a tough extra inning loss with a satisfying (though ugly) extra inning win.

chisoxfanatic
Nice job, Cuban Missile.

JermaineDye05
That's three HR in April for Alexei.

He had two for his career coming into the year.

JermaineDye05
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
What happened?

There was a tweet that someone posted that said Edwin was glaring at Alexei after being pulled after the error.

doublem23
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM

It takes a few minutes.

NDSox12
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
There was a tweet that someone posted that said Edwin was glaring at Alexei after being pulled after the error.

He did looked pissed, but I'm not so sure he was looking at Alexei. I think he was staring out to the bullpen to see who was coming in. He was probably just upset to be an out away from qualifying for a win.

JermaineDye05
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
With the White Sox walking off, that makes three walk-offs in the AL Central tonight.

slavko
Santos and Sale bolster the pen and pitch terrific. That was huge for this team. Santos for closer. Jump on board everyone, this is a no brainer.

Alexei follows Paulie from sunday with two bombs. Needed this one.

Where you all been? I've been waiting for you all season. Yeah, NOW it's a no brainer.

See, there are happy endings.

Lip Man 1
Jackson was pissed at Ramirez for making an error.

Heart stopping game after heart stopping game... as Hawk would say, "strap it down" if it's going to be this way for most of the season.

Call em' the Cardiac Sox.

Got the win, that's all that matters (can any outfielder PLEASE catch the baseball, PLEASE??)

Get the series win tomorrow and keep that streak going into a good off day.

First night game win of the year by the way.

Lip

TDog
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
The key to the bullpen success might be not giving relievers the lead.

Santos and Sale shut down the A's with a tie score. Really, the only reliever who struggled was Pena who gave up Jackson's lead that Ohman protected. And Pena didn't let the game get out of hand.

Jackson was upset that he couldn't go 5 to qualify for the win, but if he was only going 5, he wasn't getting the win tonight anyway. The bullpen made it possible for Ramirez to have a big night.

Ramirez drove in the second, third and fourth runs with a homer, scored the fifth run to tie the game after a leadoff walk and scored and drove in the sixth run with his second home run to win the damn game. Has anyone noticed that it's still April, it's still cold and the notoriously slow starting Ramirez is hitting the crap out of the ball for power and average and taking walks. There will be slumps, no doubt, but Ramirez could be on the verge of a monster middle-of-the-order season.

With a day game tomorrow, it may be that Santos and Sale won't be available. Even if one of them needs to come in and close, they might not be 100 percent. Danks needs to be strong tomorrow.

I've seen enough extra-inning games this April. I've seen enough ... It occurred to me. What do Carlos Quentin, Brent Lillibridge and Aaron Rowand have in common? They haven't dropped fly balls in the Sox outfield this year. Unless I missed something. Many Aprils ago in the old park across the street, I saw Carl Yastrzemski drop a fly ball in left in a game where the Sox came back from five runs down to beat the Red Sox, in a season that ended with th Red Sox lost a one-game playoff to the Yankees.

You never know what how important April mistakes will turn out to be. I am so glad the Sox didn't let this one get away.

PalehosePlanet
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
What a relief. Other than Pena's bad performance, the bullpen was great. Santos and Sale were dominating. More adventures in the outfield though.

An ugly game, but a win's a win and we needed this after what happened last night.

At least Tony did regroup and get out of a huge jam thanks to Alex's error. The game could have gotten out of hand at that point, especially with Sox-killer Suzuki up and a 3-0 count.

We haven't done a good job pitching over errors, but Tony did and kept us in the game.

And, of course, thank you Alexei! I had that sinking feeling prior to that homerun.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Wow, Alexei off to a great start to the season. I sense a monster year and an All Star game appearance for TCM.

TheOldRoman
04-12-2011, 11:22 PM
What a miserable game. At least it had a happy ending.

FielderJones
04-12-2011, 11:29 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cws&content_id=13730967&topic_id=8879206

I might just replay that a few times. :tongue:

Hendu
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
At least Tony did regroup and get out of a huge jam thanks to Alex's error. The game could have gotten out of hand at that point, especially with Sox-killer Suzuki up and a 3-0 count.

We haven't done a good job pitching over errors, but Tony did and kept us in the game.

True in the end, but he was falling behind everybody and hanging sliders left and right. He was very fortunate to escape without further damage, with or without Rios' error.

RowanDye
04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Jackson was pissed at Ramirez for making an error.

Heart stopping game after heart stopping game... as Hawk would say, "strap it down" if it's going to be this way for most of the season.

Call em' the Cardiac Sox.

Got the win, that's all that matters (can any outfielder PLEASE catch the baseball, PLEASE??)

Get the series win tomorrow and keep that streak going into a good off day.

First night game win of the year by the way.

Lip

Purely anecdotal, but there's been a lot of walk-offs around baseball early this year.

With Dunn back in the lineup and Peavy on the way, I expect the White Sox to compete in every single game this year. I can't ask for much more as a fan.

manders_01
04-12-2011, 11:43 PM
A long, tough game. But well worth getting through all that for the sweet ending. :bandance:

Yep, I loved that as well! :D:

I already told GoGo this but I was getting nervous for her towards the end of the game. Kept thinking, man, she's going to have all of WSI totally ticked at her for saying the Sox were going to win all day. Instead, she has all of WSI thanking her profusely (and if they haven't, they should :tongue:). Thank you and kudos my friend! :cool:

SoxFan1979
04-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you Alexei!!!! but where were the fans tonight at The Cell?

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2011, 11:45 PM

Those are the BEST! (Well, I am also partial to the 12-1 thrashings. :tongue:)

Now make me happy tomorrow as I make my first trip to the Cell with a series win. :D:

sox1970
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM

Sounded like a rough crowd there tonight.

Same old thing. The Sox don't draw weekdays in April and May.

RowanDye
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM

:(: Yea. Ugly.

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Sounded like a rough crowd there tonight.

Same old thing. The Sox don't draw weekdays in April and May.

:(: Yea. Ugly.

I get the feeling MLB attendance as a whole is down, although those games in Cleveland may be influencing my thoughts on this.

hi im skot
04-12-2011, 11:51 PM

I was working late and doing my taxes.

doublem23
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I get the feeling MLB attendance as a whole is down, although those games in Cleveland may be influencing my thoughts on this.

Attendance is only slightly down league-wide, -13 fans per game from this point in 2010, entering today.

The Sox are actually up a couple hundred against 2010.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

18K there tonight. Tuesday night in April. :shrug:

JermaineDye05
04-13-2011, 12:04 AM

Those are the BEST! (Well, I am also partial to the 12-1 thrashings. :tongue:)

Now make me happy tomorrow as I make my first trip to the Cell with a series win. :D:

Closest I've ever come to is Timo Perez gunning out Brett Boone, the tying run, at 3rd to end the game.

SephClone89
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM

I was doing homework in Normal, Illinois.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Attendance is only slightly down league-wide, -13 fans per game from this point in 2010, entering today.

Thanks for that link. I was pretty surprised to see how much Cubs attendance has decreased already this season.

(EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack, by the way.)

GoGoCrede
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
I already told GoGo this but I was getting nervous for her towards the end of the game. Kept thinking, man, she's going to have all of WSI totally ticked at her for saying the Sox were going to win all day. Instead, she has all of WSI thanking her profusely (and if they haven't, they should :tongue:). Thank you and kudos my friend! :cool:

Yeah, I was a teensy bit nervous toward the end there. Was afraid I'd have to eat crow. Luckily, the Sox came through and continued their undefeated streak and second extra-innings win in a row on my beeday.

guillensdisciple
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
So uhh, remember Alexei always had problems in the beginning of the year? Ye, well this offense becomes that much more potent now that the guy is hitting to begin the season.

Ranger said it best on the radio, everything will be okay and now is not the time to panic. 7-4 is not a bad start. Sure we could be 9-2 but everything will even itself out come the middle of the season. If we solve the issues on the field and in the bullpen it will show come August and September.

All in all, gut check, but lets hope Danks take care of business tomorrow.

JermaineDye05
04-13-2011, 12:12 AM
People at the park, lay off Pierre.

The heckling doesn't help.

CjnJ8xs6ibs

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM

I was disgusted at the ****show I endured at the Cell yesterday and decided to go to the Rush concert instead.

That said, awesome game for the Missile, and this team does have some resiliency...something that couldn't be said of past teams.

I'm still frustrated that we should be, at worst, 9-2.

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:19 AM

Try catching the pop-ups next time.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Alexei turned what was a very ****ty day for me into an okay night.

JermaineDye05
04-13-2011, 12:34 AM

He tied the game tonight. I think he redeemed himself.

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
He tied the game tonight. I think he redeemed himself.

By my count that makes his record 0-2-1 for the week

GoGoCrede
04-13-2011, 01:15 AM

The heckling doesn't help.

The heckling wasn't that bad at all tonight.

JermaineDye05
04-13-2011, 01:32 AM

Ah ok.

I couldn't watch the game since I don't have WCIU. I was just going off of Ranger's tweets.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
What a crazy game. Thank God GoGoCrede was in attendance.

You're welcome, Sox fans. :tongue: Kidding. In all honesty, I was getting bummed that we might lose. Luckily Alexei saved the day.

WOOO Happy Birthday!!

Why thank you!

Jackson did look pretty pissed on the jumbotron when he was pulled. I didn't see him glaring at Alexei, though if he did I wouldn't be surprised.

October26
04-13-2011, 06:32 AM

:happybday GoGoCrede!

I'm still basking in the glory of that White sox winner last night. Ugly game with a beautiful ending. As others have already said, the Sox really needed that win. !Muchas Gracias, Alexei!!

Gotta keep the momentum going today - GO SOX!

ChiSoxGirl
04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Truth be told, I gave up on this game after the top of the sixth and went to bed. Considering how sloppy and slow-paced the game was being played, I figured the Sox weren't worth the sleep deprivation. However, I can never truly walk away from a game, so I took the little radio into the bedroom with me and had that to fall asleep to. Late last night, I was pleasantly surprised to learn the Sox had won and that, of all people, Bonesy was the one to walk it off.

asindc
04-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Thank you, again, GoGoCrede! And once more for the W: :happybday

russ99
04-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Let's see... Juan caught 307 last year and 21 this year so far. Many of them weren't easy catches.

People overreact too much, all players make errors. In fact, every Sox regular but Beckham, A.J. and Quentin have an error this year.

I can understand voicing displeasure at the time, but let it go two days later. You'll enjoy the game much more.

asindc
04-13-2011, 07:45 AM

If Edwin is upset, he should be upset with himself for not finding the touch on his slider. In the end, it did not cost him anyway, unless you think Pena would not have hung that slider to Kouzmanoff if Alexei had made the play the inning before.

asindc
04-13-2011, 07:57 AM

He did, which is why people are saying the heckling was not necessary.

Let's see... Juan caught 307 last year and 21 this year so far. Many of them weren't easy catches.

People overreact too much, all players make errors. In fact, every Sox regular but Beckham, A.J. and Quentin have an error this year.

I can understand voicing displeasure at the time, but let it go two days later. You'll enjoy the game much more.

This, especially after a win in which he significantly contributed.

Hitmen77
04-13-2011, 08:17 AM

The park looked a lot emptier on TV last night than on Monday, but the official attendance yesterday was only 2,000 less than on Monday. 20,000 on Monday and 18,000 yesterday.

I'm not sure what accounts for the numbers being close but the seats looking a lot emptier. Perhaps more no-shows last night on what was a rather cold day near the lake (much colder than Monday).:dunno:

WhiffleBall
04-13-2011, 08:34 AM
The park looked a lot emptier on TV last night than on Monday, but the official attendance yesterday was only 2,000 less than on Monday. 20,000 on Monday and 18,000 yesterday.

I'm not sure what accounts for the numbers being close but the seats looking a lot emptier. Perhaps more no-shows last night on what was a rather cold day near the lake (much colder than Monday).:dunno:

Last night was a Frank Thomas bobblehead giveaway game. There were probably a bunch of people who bought tickets, got the bobblehead, and either only stayed for a few innings or left right away.

Todays game attendance should be interesting. The weather is supposed to be decent so it might not be that bad but weekday games in April are usually brutal for any MLB team.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2011, 08:59 AM

18K there tonight. Tuesday night in April. :shrug:Yeah. As pitiful and inexcusable as 18,000 is, we need only look back to 1999 when the Sox AVERAGED 16,656. Those were some of the darkest days for the franchise, and luckily I don't think we will even go back there. I would hope to be above 20,000 for all April games, but this isn't a cause for concern. Even with a fanbase full of such fickle, miserable bastards, if the Sox do well, there are going to be lots of sell-outs in the Summer to bring that average up.

SephClone89
04-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah. As pitiful and inexcusable as 18,000 is, we need only look back to 1999 when the Sox AVERAGED 16,656. Those were some of the darkest days for the franchise, and luckily I don't think we will even go back there. I would hope to be above 20,000 for all April games, but this isn't a cause for concern. Even with a fanbase full of such fickle, miserable bastards, if the Sox do well, there are going to be lots of sell-outs in the Summer to bring that average up.

That was my first season following the team all the way. Went to my first game in that June, too...Frank's 1,000th RBI, and I got to see my favourite pitcher, Mike Sirotka.

My lasting memory of that year is Mike Caruso's game-winning homer into the Wrigley baskets to sweep the Cubs.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm glad to hear that. I was as pissed off at him as anyone but we don't need him being even more distracted out there right now.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Thank you, again, GoGoCrede! And once more for the W: :happybday

Thanks! I guess the Sox had a lot to do with last night's win too. :smile:

:happybday GoGoCrede!

I'm still basking in the glory of that White sox winner last night. Ugly game with a beautiful ending. As others have already said, the Sox really needed that win. !Muchas Gracias, Alexei!!

Gotta keep the momentum going today - GO SOX!

I'm still watching the replay. I wish I'd remembered to record it. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that. I was as pissed off at him as anyone but we don't need him being even more distracted out there right now.

He was really only loudly booed on 4/11 when he batted the inning after he didn't catch the ball.

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah. As pitiful and inexcusable as 18,000 is, we need only look back to 1999 when the Sox AVERAGED 16,656. Those were some of the darkest days for the franchise, and luckily I don't think we will even go back there. I would hope to be above 20,000 for all April games, but this isn't a cause for concern. Even with a fanbase full of such fickle, miserable bastards, if the Sox do well, there are going to be lots of sell-outs in the Summer to bring that average up.

See this is why we had to stop the attendance threads. It's really not that people are "fickle bastards," it's that the Sox are one of the highest priced tickets in baseball. Clearly the Sox prefer to charge an arm and a leg and let 1/2 the park sit empty than slash prices and make it a little more friendly on the wallet. It's their business.

Unless your ass has been parked in a seat for every game, you're not allowed to call others out for not being able to get to the park for any reason.

shingo10
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
By my count that makes his record 0-2-1 for the week

Ugh. Sometimes it is embarrassing reading these threads. You make it sound like Juan Pierre has his own franchise. Actually there are 8 other players in the lineup with him so...I guess the record for the SOX this week would be 2-1.

DonnieDarko
04-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Fell asleep after the A's took the lead in the...6th, was it? I forget. All I know is that I shouldn't have gone to bed so soon. Would have loved to have heard Farmer freak the hell out at Alexei's HR there. I also love the "wingspan" that he did after the hit. Reminds me of game 162 against the Tigers in '08 when he hit that slam--which is my favorite memory of him.

Let's hope that Danks has it in him tonight. I really want to stick it to the A's. For too long they have been a boogyman team to the Sox.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
See this is why we had to stop the attendance threads. It's really not that people are "fickle bastards," it's that the Sox are one of the highest priced tickets in baseball. Clearly the Sox prefer to charge an arm and a leg and let 1/2 the park sit empty than slash prices and make it a little more friendly on the wallet. It's their business.

Unless your ass has been parked in a seat for every game, you're not allowed to call others out for not being able to get to the park for any reason.First off, I am including myself in this group. Sox fans are, in general, miserable about their fandom. I am certainly not criticizing anyone on this board. I think in general the Sox fanbase has shown to be fickle, or at least so pessimistic that they don't want to waste money on a bad team, meaning they won't buy tickets until they know the team is good. The fanbase as a whole is largely made up of non-diehards. The diehard fans, the people who waste their workdays on message boards, will be at the games regardless. However, no team has enough of them. At the end of the day, the blowhard at the end of the bar (think Mike North) and the idiots still mad at Reinsdorf about the 1994 strike or angry about the Sox getting rid of Crede are the ones who need to be convinced to buy tickets.

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Ugh. Sometimes it is embarrassing reading these threads. You make it sound like Juan Pierre has his own franchise. Actually there are 8 other players in the lineup with him so...I guess the record for the SOX this week would be 2-1.

Right, but the thought that Pierre shouldn't get boo'ed any more in the OF because he tied the game last night is ridiculous. He's getting paid $8.5 million this year and he's made two horrendous errors in the outfield that have almost directly resulted in the Sox blowing a win that, frankly, 12-year-olds would have no problem with.

He deserves to get his ass boo'ed right now.

Crooked Number
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Unless your ass has been parked in a seat for every game, you're not allowed to call others out for not being able to get to the park for any reason.

Agree. I enjoy Mac and Speig's on 670, but if they keep harping on Sox attendance (like this morning during 3 segments) im going to tune out. It's so tiresome. When the weather improves, the Bulls and Hawks are done with their playoff runs, and the Whitesox have a good product on the field (which they do) the park will be consistently full. No Speigel, these aren't "excuses", they are facts. Cold baseball games suck. I sat in the 37-41 degree weather opening day with the constant bitter wind in section 108. It was absolutely brutal. Felt like a December Bears game. The only reason your beloved's draw is because "diehards" from Boise Idaho and Davenport Iowa plan trips to come to baseball heaven. All I care about is winning, and the team.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Agree. I enjoy Mac and Speig's on 670, but if they keep harping on Sox attendance (like this morning during 3 segments) im going to tune out. It's so tiresome. When the weather improves, the Bulls and Hawks are done with their playoff runs, and the Whitesox have a good product on the field (which they do) the park will be consistently full. No Speigel, these aren't "excuses", they are facts. Cold baseball games suck. I sat in the 37-41 degree weather opening day with the constant bitter wind in section 108. It was absolutely brutal. Felt like a December Bears game. The only reason your beloved's draw is because "diehards" from Boise Idaho and Davenport Iowa plan trips to come to baseball heaven. All I care about is winning, and the team.I agree. I hate how the media harps on attendance, or even worse, uses attendance to say "Yeah, you won, but so what? Nobody likes you." Any rational person who follows baseball understands how attendance works for the non-elite teams who are the Cubs. When the weather is bad and the kids are in school, attendance is going to be lower. Attendance improves in the Summer for all teams who don't sell out every game. As someone posted earlier, the Sox are actually slightly ahead of last year attendance-wise, and of course those numbers are going to go up.

voodoochile
04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
See the rules thread which I have just updated.

KNOCK OFF THE ATTENDANCE TALK!

Thank you...

kufram
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Right, but the thought that Pierre shouldn't get boo'ed any more in the OF because he tied the game last night is ridiculous. He's getting paid $8.5 million this year and he's made two horrendous errors in the outfield that have almost directly resulted in the Sox blowing a win that, frankly, 12-year-olds would have no problem with.

He deserves to get his ass boo'ed right now.

Booing your team's player for making an error is to show no class. Thornton handled it with honesty and dignity as did Juan himself. I would only boo a player from my own team for not trying, i.e. not hustling. Trying and failing a couple of times in games, I don't care if they are even World Series games, is not the same. Let he who has never made a mistake boo first.

His salary doesn't even come into it. Juan is earning his market value. Ok, I think millions of dollars to play baseball is a little obscene but that is the world and he didn't create it. I know people earning a lot more and doing a lot less.

Even Red Sox fans had the class to cheer Graffanino in the '05 playoffs the next game after a costly error, which I'm sure had much more positive effect than ragging him. White Sox fans should be able to get over this.

KMcMahon817
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM

It was my first game of the year last night. Had a great time, but the crowd was pretty sparse. It also got pretty cold..alot of the fans left mid game. It took some major convincing to keep the people I went with (not really SOX fans) from leaving, but there was no shot I wasn't staying until the end.

It was fun to see Alexei hit the walk-off dinger. I was worried that we were in for at least a few more innings.

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Booing your team's player for making an error is to show no class. Thornton handled it with honesty and dignity as did Juan himself. I would only boo a player from my own team for not trying, i.e. not hustling. Trying and failing a couple of times in games, I don't care if they are even World Series games, is not the same. Let he who has never made a mistake boo first.:thumbsup: