Whoopey!

oldcomiskey
07-06-2002, 03:34 PM
nice to know youre all choked up about it

raul12
07-06-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
oh by the way--we won today

that's because most people only post to hear themselves whine and complain. it's quite sad really.

it was nice to see liefer do well today for the second straight game.

are we back to our normal bullpen? i.e. osuna set up man and foulke as closer....i can never tell. or are we still doing the "pick the name out of a hat" thing?

CubKilla
07-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by raul12

that's because most people only post to hear themselves whine and complain. it's quite sad really.

it was nice to see liefer do well today for the second straight game.

are we back to our normal bullpen? i.e. osuna set up man and foulke as closer....i can never tell. or are we still doing the "pick the name out of a hat" thing?

Marte had his first save of the day today..... according to Fox. So I'll go out on a limb and say JM still doesn't have the slightest when it comes to whos job is what in the bullpen.

raul12
07-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Marte had his first save of the day today..... according to Fox. So I'll go out on a limb and say JM still doesn't have the slightest when it comes to whos job is what in the bullpen.

yeah i noticed--good for marte--maybe JM is trying for some record of most pitchers on the team at one time who have a save.

:jerry
it's all in my grand scheme to groom my nephew as the next dennis eckersly.

:hitless
the only thing that eckersly is better than me at is hitting. and like i've said before, hitting is for sissies.

FanOf14
07-06-2002, 04:05 PM
This was one game where I was actually able to watch from start to finish and not feel my stomach tie up in knots. That was true until Konerko took one in the head again. I wonder how he was able to stay upright and never even look take a look at the mound after taking one in the head again.

raul12
07-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
This was one game where I was actually able to watch from start to finish and not feel my stomach tie up in knots. That was true until Konerko took one in the head again. I wonder how he was able to stay upright and never even look take a look at the mound after taking one in the head again.

hmmm, if bonds or piazza get hit in the head, the pitcher is all of sudden thought to be the worst person on earth. paulie gets plunked in the noggin twice, yet the world keeps turning. hmmmm...intentional or not, hitting someone in the head is inexcusable. (totally different issue than just throwing at someone.)

Konerko05
07-06-2002, 04:25 PM

hmmm, if bonds or piazza get hit in the head, the pitcher is all of sudden thought to be the worst person on earth. paulie gets plunked in the noggin twice, yet the world keeps turning. hmmmm...intentional or not, hitting someone in the head is inexcusable. (totally different issue than just throwing at someone.)

Both balls that Konerko had been hit in the head by were curveballs that he ducked into. Pitchers sometimes throw bad pitches, its not their fault that Konerko moved his head straight into both of them. Bonds and Piazza were hit intentionally with fastballs, thats totally different.

doublem23
07-07-2002, 12:26 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Its excusable if the batter ducks his friggin head into the ball. Someone really needs to teach Paul how to avoid oncoming pitches a little better.

Totally different scenario when you have a Roger Clemens fastball (IIRC) flying at your head and when you have a Jason (IIRC) Phillips curveball flying toward your abdomen and you manage to find a way to stick your head in there somehow.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Marte had his first save of the day today..... according to Fox. So I'll go out on a limb and say JM still doesn't have the slightest when it comes to whos job is what in the bullpen. I don't know, you look at that bullpen and tell me who can do what consistently. Today Marte looked good, so Manuel left him in. Hurrah for Manuel. He overcame his usual urge to run everybody in the bullpen out there for one batter each in the late innings. Remember, if you keep going to the pen, you increase your odds of finding the guy who doesn't have it that day.