PDA

View Full Version : Fame is Fleeting. . .

ohiosoxfan
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
A quick perusal of the Atlantic League (Independent) Rosters shows the following names that were prominent among Sox fans . . .
Danny Richar, Joe Borchard, Toby Hall, Heath Phillips, Ehren Wassermann, Andy Gonzalez, Kris Honel, Bill Pulsipher.

Also showing up are Mike Lamb (Astros 05 Series) and Lew Ford (former Sox killer with the Twinkies)

Its amazing how quickly some will fall and also how long some players will continue to chase the dream. . .

JermaineDye05
04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Wassermann was soooo bad. I never understood the love for him.

SI1020
04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Kris Honel? I remember when he was the can't miss pitching prospect. I thought that injuries had put him out of action for good.

delben91
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Makes me wonder if the likes of Kevin Bierne and Luis Terrero are still hanging around somewhere...

wilburaga
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Makes me wonder if the likes of Kevin Bierne and Luis Terrero are still hanging around somewhere...

Terrero is in the Mexican league and playing quite well (.370+ BA).

Beirne is in parts unknown,

Gavin
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, so many 2007 players in the OP's post.

Twas the lost year.:whiteflag::rip:

DrCrawdad
04-16-2011, 05:40 AM
A quick perusal of the Atlantic League (Independent) Rosters shows the following names that were prominent among Sox fans . . .
Danny Richar, Joe Borchard, Toby Hall, Heath Phillips, Ehren Wassermann, Andy Gonzalez, Kris Honel, Bill Pulsipher.

Also showing up are Mike Lamb (Astros 05 Series) and Lew Ford (former Sox killer with the Twinkies)

Its amazing how quickly some will fall and also how long some players will continue to chase the dream. . .

In a way I have to say that I admire how these guys are sticking with it.

A. Cavatica
04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Hall was the only credible major leaguer on that ex-Sox list. Borchard and Honel were #1 prospects who went bust, for different reasons. Richar and Philips were AAAA players at best, and Wassermann and Gonzalez were roster filler who never should have seen time with the Sox.

Pulsipher? Did we have him in the minors one year?

JorgeFabregas
04-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Mike Lamb was a decent hitter who fell off the cliff at the age of 32.

Rob Mackowiak played briefly with the Newark Bears and in 2010 was a hitting coach with Windy City ThunderBolts.

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Wassermann was soooo bad. I never understood the love for him.

Because he actually wasn't, in 2007 at least. He was one of the few bright spots in that horrific bullpen and then had a really good spring in 2008 and was one of the last roster cuts and had a sub-2 ERA in Charlotte. Sadly, that success did not carry over to the majors that year. He was really only effective against righties anyways because he had that weird motion. He was a good story though and an underdog which made me root very hard for him.

Zakath
08-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Had to bring this one back up, because I attended the last home game of the Gary South Shore Railcats today against the Kansas City T-Bones, and who's playing first for the T-Bones? Danny Richar.

How the mighty hath fallen...

Hitmen77
08-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Wow, so many 2007 players in the OP's post.

Twas the lost year.:whiteflag::rip:

But, at least we got Gordon Beckham as our top draft pick as a result of 2007!

DVsoxfan
08-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Danny Richar!!!! HAH!

hawkjt
08-26-2014, 02:49 PM
The pittance they pay minor leaguers probably makes it hard for guys who have never made any money to hang on for long. Most of these guys at least got nice bonus money to start their career to tide themselves over.