PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Phone

nug0hs
04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Has anyone heard this obnoxiousness yet? They replaced the standard "old rotary phone sound" of the bullpen phone ringing by hooking it up to a fire alarm-like device like this.

http://www.signalguys.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/FireHornStrobe.jpg

When the phone rings now it's an incredibly annoying buzz sound complete with flashing light. My friend has ST in section 346 and i'm sick of hearing the thing already. I cant imagine having the seats right behind the bullpen in 158/9. The sound is so loud you can even hear it on the TV broadcast! Anyone know why they decided to change this? Was management unhappy with missed calls down there or something?

doublem23
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
They're just trying to warn the fans with a weak heart, acid reflux, or young children that the bullpen is about to come in, so this might be a good time to tune out the game.

roylestillman
04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Has anyone heard this obnoxiousness yet? They replaced the standard "old rotary phone sound" of the bullpen phone ringing by hooking it up to a fire alarm-like device like this.

http://fireaids.com/imagelibrary/7455_landing_pic.jpg

When the phone rings now it's an incredibly annoying buzz sound complete with flashing light. My friend has ST in section 346 and i'm sick of hearing the thing already. I cant imagine having the seats right behind the bullpen in 158/9. The sound is so loud you can even hear it on the TV broadcast! Anyone know why they decided to change this? Was management unhappy with missed calls down there or something?
Our seats are in 159 and I think that buzzer phone was put in for the 2009 season. At first it was unbelievably loud (and brought out your grammar school fire drill instinct.) They seemed to have turned it down a few months later, and I didn't notice it in the two games this year, but when it was at its full squawk it was jarring.

Rocky Soprano
04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
They actually used that "ring" last year for a few games.

04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
They need to sound all of the fire alarms in the stadium if Will Ohman is coming into the game.

soxfanatlanta
04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Anyone know why they decided to change this? Was management unhappy with missed calls down there or something?

We need more drama in our lives?

FielderJones
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
They need to sound all of the fire alarms in the stadium if Will Ohman is coming into the game.

Did Will Ohman kick your dog? He came into the game on Saturday and did just fine by my standards.

DumpJerry
04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Since it was installed before this season, I think they did it to warn Jenks that he had to get ready soon.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
That could've been the penultimate "Oh **** - here comes Bobby Howry" warning system.

doublem23
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Did Will Ohman kick your dog? He came into the game on Saturday and did just fine by my standards.

1 good performance, 2 "eh" performances, 2 terrible performances.

Not a great ratio.

tacosalbarojas
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Pretty sure it's been that way since '09 as another poster mentioned. You notice it much more when it's quiet. I generally don't mind. Gives you an alert that they're getting someone up.