PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Gavin is the man! 4/10 Postgame

GoGoCrede
04-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Yay!

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Nice to take three out of four at home. Only two ninth inning errors in Friday kept this from being a sweep.

soltrain21
04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Team is looking good.

Corlose 15
04-10-2011, 03:22 PM
If this is Gavin's down month they're in good shape.

JermaineDye05
This should have been a four game sweep.

Still, taking three of four is nothing to sneeze at.

This Rays team is just depressing without Longoria.

guillensdisciple
6-3 to start the season, no big deal. Lets keep on rolling, 7 more at home and plenty of time to beef up our record. I am hoping we can get out of here with a 11-5 record or something like that.

voodoochile
One bad inning from 7-2. Sox look impressive and right now a good part of the question marks on this team look like real solid answers.

Loving the way floyd is throwing the ball right now. He mentioned a fitness regimen and better diet since last season and it looks like it's paying off.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

soxinem1
In addition to the win, a much needed rest for almost the entire bullpen.

With no schedule off day until Thursday, this is huge.

Glad to see us solve Niemann for a change too.

Love those home pinstripe uniforms, too!!! :bandance:

ShooterMcGavin
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Well pitched game by Gavin.

Konerko with two home runs.

Sox take 3 of 4 from TB. Nice series. Should have been 4 of 4 though.

JermaineDye05
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm just licking my lips thinking how good this team could be once Dunn makes it back and hopefully Peavy.

soxinem1
04-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm just licking my lips thinking how good this team could be once Dunn makes it back and hopefully Peavy.

That means we will be ALL IN!!! :bandance::bandance:

Zakath
04-10-2011, 03:26 PM
If this is Gavin's down month they're in good shape.

He's now 9-8 in the month of April in his career, which isn't his worst record (his September record is his worst). His ERA for April, though, is through the roof in his career (6.24 prior to today), so this should help.

Except for the error, he was pretty much in complete control.

soxnut1018
This is fun! :bandance:
If Dunn comes back and Peavy is anything close to what he was with the Padres, this team is scary good.
kM7C_yNlCLU

JB98
When Floyd is good, he's very good. The weak-hitting Rays had no chance with both his curve ball and the change working for him.

manders_01
Just another overall great game! Glad to see Gavin not only do well but go deep. Offense and defense looked great. Paulie so sweet for not wanting to take his curtain call.

Hey! We won on a Sunday! :D: Let's keep this up!!!

October26
Another wonderful White sox win! Love it! :bandance:

Hitmen77
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM

.....and once they put a stop to the defensive blunders (which I think they will).

If Peavy can come back healthy, I think Humber might slide in nicely to the pen as a serviceable long relief guy...and that'll help our bullpen.

ChiSoxGirl
Just another overall great game! Glad to see Gavin not only do well but go deep. Offense and defense looked great. Paulie so sweet for not wanting to take his curtain call.

Hey! We won on a Sunday! :D: Let's keep this up!!!

That's because it's not my week to write. Next Sunday is my scheduled day, but I needed to switch with tstrike2000, so expect a victory on April 17 and consecutive Sunday losses on April 24 and May 1, which are my next two Sundays to write. :tongue:

Soxman219
We've had the lead in every game this year so far. Nice to know, just keep winning.

HomeFish
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
The Twins still have two innings to launch their typical comeback, but Oakland leads 5-0 at Target Field right now.

If it holds up, we'll be 3.0 games up on the Twins.

manders_01
That's because it's not my week to write. Next Sunday is my scheduled day, but I needed to switch with tstrike2000, so expect a victory on April 17 and consecutive Sunday losses on April 24 and May 1, which are my next two Sundays to write. :tongue:

:rolling:

Don't worry, I think the tide is changing for you this season! :wink:

Red Barchetta
Love those home pinstripe uniforms, too!!! :bandance:

They will probably wear the pinstripes again tomorrow and until they lose or hit the road.

Good win. Can't help but be greedy in letting game 2 slip away, however 3 of 4 is great!

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2011, 03:30 PM
:rolling:

Don't worry, I think the tide is changing for you this season! :wink:

I'm already 0-1!

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Love this team! :bandance: Keep it up, boys!

manders_01
04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm already 0-1!

Oh then yeah, you're totally doomed. :(:

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh then yeah, you're totally doomed. :(:

I know. :(:

Zakath
04-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Have to keep this up vs. Oakland, who isn't hitting much better than Tampa is, but is pitching lights out lately (3 runs in 3 games and 7+ innings today).

Looks like Braden, Cahill, and Anderson for the A's over the next three days.

KMcMahon817
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll just reiterate what other have said....if Dunn can hit his usual 35-40 bombs with 100ish RBI and Peavy is even what he was last year with us, this team will run away with the Central.

:gulp:Now I am going to go outside and enjoy this awesome weather here in Milwaukee.

BoysMom3
These games are making me giddy.

JermaineDye05
After back-to-back extra inning games in KC, we got some pretty solid starts from our guys.

Danks could have been better, but got it done overall.

Our bullpen only had to pitch 8 innings in this four game series. Hats off to Gavin and Edwin especially.

johnnyg83
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Very nice for Gavin, but the Rays looked like they had early dinner reservations.

TDog
04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
One bad inning from 7-2. Sox look impressive and right now a good part of the question marks on this team look like real solid answers.

Loving the way floyd is throwing the ball right now. He mentioned a fitness regimen and better diet since last season and it looks like it's paying off.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Two bad innings from 8-1. The loss in Kansas City would have been a win if the bullpen doesn't give up the lead in the eighth -- assuming the bullpen doesn't blow the lead in the ninth.

The offense continues to impress, even with in scoring just six runs today. Turning a two-out-none-on error into two unearned runs impressed me, anyway. The Teahen play might have been ruled a hit considering the wind and the sun, but Fuld really should have caught that ball. Regardless, it's nice to see a left fielder who doesn't play for the White Sox drop a fly ball in a White Sox game.

Since giving up two runs in each of his first two innings this year, Floyd has pitched great. He has not only given up just the one run, but he has gone deep into both of his starts.

The A's will be a test for the Sox, who will be facing the three starters who aren't Gio Gonzalez and Brandon McCarthy, but the Sox offense really has only been shut down in one game this season.

Crooked Number
04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Beautiful game to be at. Got two fingers on a foul ball in the 7th in section 143, first good chance at one since '08. Gavin was outstanding, defense was good, Tony Pena came in and gave us a stress free 9th. Offense continued the trend, of mashing the baseball. Winning without Dunn is Funn.

Watched the first two periods of the Hawks game at Bacardi at the Park. Man, is this place great. Didn't know the meat was provided by Gibsons. The Sox did it right with this place. Plus they have a fantastic tap beer selection: Peroni, Dos Equis and Blue Moon to name a few (very rare to find Peroni on tap at a bar).

Great game!

bluedemon45
04-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Took 3 out 4. We should have swept that them. A great start by Gavin and then a solid day from our lineup.

Lets keep this going and take care of Oakland.

Bucky F. Dent
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Thrilled to see Gavin pitching this well this early in the year. If Peavy comes back healthy before the end of the month, this could be a very, very special year.

aryzner
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
:twinslose
today also.

I know it's a bit ridiculous for me to be scoreboard watching this early in the season, but I don't care. Bury the Twins early and often.

Let's run away with this division.

GlassSox
04-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Our 1st warm day at US Cellular and a great win. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Very nice all the way around. They haven't lost a series yet. As Hawk would say, "don't stop now boys..." Cleveland has got to lose sometime.

Oakland has been pitching well, runs will be at a premium, Sox can't give them any with stupid errors and having Dunn back will be a bonus.

Lip

JermaineDye05
04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Very nice all the way around. They haven't lost a series yet. As Hawk would say, "don't stop now boys..." Cleveland has got to lose sometime.

Oakland has been pitching well, runs will be at a premium, Sox can't give them any with stupid errors and having Dunn back will be a bonus.

Lip

They caught Boston at the right time, and now have Seattle. I think they'll be back to their losing ways once they face LAA.

russ99
04-10-2011, 05:42 PM
What a great day to be at the ballpark!

Good job by Gavin, and the offense did enough to win early.

Went to Bacardi at the Park before the game, and Cork and Kerry's afterward, a good time was has by all. :D:

I hope next Sunday can be as nice.

Gavin
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
I would've hoped for a better crowd today considering how unexpectedly balmy it was outside.

NDSox12
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Putting Friday's debacle aside, winning three out of four is never easy to do. The Rays could be in for a long year though. That's not a very intimidating lineup, even if you put Longoria back in it. But from the Sox perspective, I'm happy with the results from this series, especially the offense and starting pitching. Great outing by Gavin today!

Three solid pitching matchups coming up against Oakland. Hopefully the Sox offense will stay hot.

Foulke You
04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Gavin's curve ball is his definitive pitch and he was getting it over today. When he can throw that one for a strike at will, he is as good a right hander you'll find.

The offense has been very fun to watch this year. So far the offense has reminded me a lot of the 2000 club but the season is still young. The prospect of adding Dunn's power into this mix again is exciting.

voodoochile
04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I would've hoped for a better crowd today considering how unexpectedly balmy it was outside.

Well you had a competing do or die game at the United Center, the Bulls, Cubs and Masters on TV and great weather.

A lot going on and they probably didn't have a lot of tickets presold for this game other than the season tickets as few people are going to expect great weather this weekend when individual games go on sale.

guillensdisciple
04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Well you had a competing do or die game at the United Center, the Bulls, Cubs and Masters on TV and great weather.

A lot going on and they probably didn't have a lot of tickets presold for this game other than the season tickets as few people are going to expect great weather this weekend when individual games go on sale.

I ono, it looked pretty filled up. Anyone know the estimate on the attendance. I'd say in the 30's.

EDIT: 23,000- we are struggling.

doublem23
04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I ono, it looked pretty filled up. Anyone know the estimate on the attendance. I'd say in the 30's.

They only announced 26K yesterday and I could have sworn there was at least 30,000 there.

Ah, whatever, these early April games are always so hit and miss, if the Sox keep playing well into May and June people will show up.

GoGoCrede
04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
They only announced 26K yesterday and I could have sworn there was at least 30,000 there.

Ah, whatever, these early April games are always so hit and miss, if the Sox keep playing well into May and June people will show up.

Agreed. The weather is just so fickle. I remember lots of lively crowds in June-July last year when the Sox went on their long winning streak.

voodoochile
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Agreed. The weather is just so fickle. I remember lots of lively crowds in June-July last year when the Sox went on their long winning streak.

As has been proven time and time again by Rob Gallas, you cannot build good attendance numbers based on walkup sales. The only way to have large crowds is if your presale numbers are good. That includes not just the season ticket numbers but tickets sold individually in advance. There just isn't much pregame demand for a game against the Rays in early April. More so with all the competing issues I mentioned above.

If they drew 23K today that actually bodes well for the season, IMO.

Gavin
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I actually thought today's weather was going to be warm and wrought with high winds and thunderstorms, so I went to yesterday's game instead. I would have loved to switch days, though. Today was the first day this year that I felt taking a walk would be pleasant. Plus, even though it was pretty warm, the breeze was probably pretty comfortable at the game.

You get a day like this in July and it'll be an easy sellout.

Big Hurt so good
04-10-2011, 11:28 PM

The Sox have held a lead in every game so far and deep into them... I know woulda/shoulda/coulda but didn't... could be 8-1 or 9-0 right now

TommyGavinFloyd
04-11-2011, 01:01 AM

Yeah just watching on tv I thought it was going to be about 32000 or so. It looked like the crowd was bigger than yesterday's, and yet they announced it as being 3000 or so less. Oh well. Just keep winning and people will come out/come back.

palehozenychicty
04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Saturday and Sunday was a very good rebound after Friday's loss. Once Dunn gets back, I'm feeling real real good about us.

russ99
04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Yeah just watching on tv I thought it was going to be about 32000 or so. It looked like the crowd was bigger than yesterday's, and yet they announced it as being 3000 or so less. Oh well. Just keep winning and people will come out/come back.

No way was it close to 30K. The upper deck was only full about halfway down the lines, and the bleachers were a bit sparse as well. I was a bit surprised, since the weather was so nice.

I had a bit of a hard time getting takers for my tickets yesterday. People just aren't into baseball yet, even though the team looks good. That's the mindset that will need to change if the Sox expect to do well in April and early May.

cws05champ
04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
I gotta give props to Teahen for filling in for Dunn while he's out. 5-10, 3RBI, 2 R.

Because of his contract he gets pretty bad treatment around here....sometimes deserved, but he is the 24/25th man. I can deal with him as Ozzie doesn't over expose him and start playing him against LHP.

jdm2662
04-11-2011, 08:50 AM

There aren't many people like myself whose family had other plans, so I was able to make a last minute trip to the ballpark. I also made a day out of it by taking the 9:04 train to the city. Of course, I wanted to stay down there longer, but opted to leave after the game due to threat of storrms. Of course, that never happened.

On another note, the game ended around 3:15. the Metra coming back to Lombard didn't leave until 4:40. So, we had some time to spare before the train left. No biggie. I didn't have any other plans, and wasn't in a huge hurry. We got off the train a little before 5:30 (which is on time). As we were walking home, a guy in his car asked if we got off the train. He said he just got home five minutes ago... Quite interesting. Even during the week, I get down to hte park in less than hour.

SephClone89
04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
This game was awesome. I went with my Dad, and I found a good deal on seats on StubHub--probably the best seats we've ever had at the park, in section 139.

While waiting for my oil change that morning, I wandered over to Meijer and bought a grey Beckham t-shirt--I'd discussed with my friend that after his great start it was probably safe to buy one at last. Apparently it worked!

Had those batting helmet nachos--they were awesome, but the way it was "mixed" made it hard to eat. All of my chips were hidden underneath all the toppings.

In the bottom of the sixth a Vizquel foul ball came right towards us, maybe heading a couple of rows above me. I reached up with my hat, it bounced in it and felt it come out, and it wound up with a guy behind me. I've never come anywhere close to a foul ball before, so that was kind of a bummer.

As for the attendance, I had guessed ~30k as well. Strange.

voodoochile
04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
As for the attendance, I had guessed ~30k as well. Strange.

Perhaps the Sox had a bunch of giveaways for HS students who did well or are graduating and didn't count those seats. This would be the time of year for lots of giveaways I would think with low weekend attendance expected.

SCCWS
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
As has been proven time and time again by Rob Gallas, you cannot build good attendance numbers based on walkup sales. The only way to have large crowds is if your presale numbers are good. That includes not just the season ticket numbers but tickets sold individually in advance. There just isn't much pregame demand for a game against the Rays in early April. More so with all the competing issues I mentioned above.

If they drew 23K today that actually bodes well for the season, IMO.

Sorry, but the attendance excuses don't fly. If teams like Detroit , Minnesota and Milwaukee drew better crowds yesterday, the weather, time of year, other distractions etc. does not fly. I do agree that the season ticket base needs to grow first in order to fuel better attendance. As evidenced by Cleveland, the attendance can go south quickly when the team has several down years. Luckily the WS have a very entertaining product to offer. Maybe the Marketing Dept needs to do a better job of selling corporate season tickets which are a major asset to many big market teams.

voodoochile
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry, but the attendance excuses don't fly. If teams like Detroit , Minnesota and Milwaukee drew better crowds yesterday, the weather, time of year, other distractions etc. does not fly. I do agree that the season ticket base needs to grow first in order to fuel better attendance. As evidenced by Cleveland, the attendance can go south quickly when the team has several down years. Luckily the WS have a very entertaining product to offer. Maybe the Marketing Dept needs to do a better job of selling corporate season tickets which are a major asset to many big market teams.

And how many of those cities had 3 competing sporting events on at the same time, two with playoff implications including the defending champion of their given sport in a do or die game?

SephClone89
04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
And how many of those cities had 3 competing sporting events on at the same time, two with playoff implications including the defending champion of their given sport in a do or die game?

Not to mention sharing town with another (incredibly popular) baseball team.

asindc
04-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Not to mention sharing town with another (incredibly popular) baseball team.

That's the thing a lot of people forget when mentioning that the Sox play in the largest market in the AL Central. The Sox's natural base is Chicago and Northwest Indiana. The Tigers' natural base is the entire state of Michigan and the Toledo, Ohio area. If anything, the Tigers should be outdrawing and making more money than the Sox.

jdm2662
04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but the attendance excuses don't fly. If teams like Detroit , Minnesota and Milwaukee drew better crowds yesterday, the weather, time of year, other distractions etc. does not fly. I do agree that the season ticket base needs to grow first in order to fuel better attendance. As evidenced by Cleveland, the attendance can go south quickly when the team has several down years. Luckily the WS have a very entertaining product to offer. Maybe the Marketing Dept needs to do a better job of selling corporate season tickets which are a major asset to many big market teams .

That all sounds fine and dandy, but with the recent downturn in the ecomony, corporations have cut this out of their budgets. I really don't want to get into the stuff that has been cut from my job in the last few years. Free tickets for games were easy to come by a few years ago. Now? Forget it. I have to pull strings just to order a pen these days.

TomBradley72
04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Yuck- attendance threads. :rolleyes:

I thought there would be a larger crowd yesterday as well- who knows....it's still a brutal economy- not easy for alot of people to drop the dollars needed to go to an MLB game.

Every April- the Sox should have all upper deck seats at half price (excluding Opening Day) for the whole month- get people back to the ballpark- buying food, beers, etc.

Marqhead
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
It's still April, you had the Master's on, the Hawks, the first BBQ day of the season. A lot of people probably stayed home to enjoy the weather or went golfing or BBQed etc. Hopefully the fans keep coming out if they continue to win. I'm not worried.

Hitmen77
04-11-2011, 01:16 PM

This is spot on. Fans are excited about this season, but they aren't all going to buy pre-sale tickets for an early April game vs. the Rays when they know they can just as easily get tickets to games later in the spring when the weather is more likely to be mild.

The numbers probably would have been higher this past weekend if we were playing the Twins or Tigers, but it still wouldn't have been close to a sellout.

That was my reaction too. Ugh, are we going to go through this on every post-game thread until school is out?

If the team is successful, the ticket sales will take a while to build. Until then, there's no reason for us to beat the attendance horse again.

TDog
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I gotta give props to Teahen for filling in for Dunn while he's out. 5-10, 3RBI, 2 R.

Because of his contract he gets pretty bad treatment around here....sometimes deserved, but he is the 24/25th man. I can deal with him as Ozzie doesn't over expose him and start playing him against LHP.

Teahen got a big two-out, two-strike, two-run hit against a southpaw reliever in the 8th inning Friday night. It should have put the game out of reach, but subsequent events made the hit less memorable. Still, I don't expect Guillen to start Teahen against lefties.

As for attendance, maybe too many people are going to Stub Hub instead of the team.

JermaineDye05
04-11-2011, 01:27 PM

I thought there would be a larger crowd yesterday as well- who knows....it's still a brutal economy- not easy for alot of people to drop the dollars needed to go to an MLB game.

Every April- the Sox should have all upper deck seats at half price (excluding Opening Day) for the whole month- get people back to the ballpark- buying food, beers, etc.

Tell that to Boston, New York, and our crosstown rivals.

TomBradley72
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Tell that to Boston, New York, and our crosstown rivals.

I don't care- the idea of "blaming" fans for not coming out is ridiculous to me- I can't blame anyone who decides that they have better ways to spend their money than dropping $100-200 for tickets/parking/food, etc.

SephClone89
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
As for attendance, maybe too many people are going to Stub Hub instead of the team.

Eh?

Lip Man 1
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
JD:

On opening day for example there were a ton of vacant empty seats at Yankee Stadium.

Lip

voodoochile
04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Okay enough attendance talk. It's really against the rules anyway and this is going to devolve into a fight if it continues. I'd prefer not to have to split this thread.

Hitmen77
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Yesterday was the Sox 6th win of the season.

Last year, they didn't get their 6th win until April 23 (17th game of the season). At that point, they were already 6 games behind the Twins.:o:.....and 6 games out is exactly where they finished the season.

aryzner
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Yesterday was the Sox 6th win of the season.

Last year, they didn't get their 6th win until April 23 (17th game of the season. At that point, they were already 6 games out.:o:.....and 6 games out is exactly where they finished the season.
This is key. The slow start for the Sox last year is probably what ultimately kept them out of winning the division.

With Minnesota and Detroit both off to slow starts, I'm hoping this ends up costing them like it did the Sox. I said it in another thread but I'll reiterate here. The Sox have got to bury both the Twins and Tigers early while they're in the midst of their slow starts, and bury them deep so they have no chance of coming back. So far, so good. Keep it going!