PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Throwing Some Humber at 'Em' 4/9 White Sox vs TB Postgame Thread

soxinem1
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Clutch hits and good defense today, and Phillip Humber keeps Peavy's spot warm until Jake is ready.

AJ's two-run 2B is the difference.

Lopez is such a tool. Why waste the effort of throwing at a scrub in the ninth inning?

Carneyman14
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Holy 1st Save batman

hi im skot
04-09-2011, 05:54 PM
So much for the guaranteed loss, eh Lip?

Nicely done, guys.

thomas35forever
Humber deserved that win. I'd like to see a 1-2-3 ninth inning for once though.

DirtySox
Much more than I expected from Humber.

Also, Felipe Lopez is an asshat.

EMachine10
I hope Lopez is in the lineup tomorrow.

guillensdisciple
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I think Sale should be considered as our closer and Thornton should be the 8th inning set up. I'm just saying.

JermaineDye05
We should already have this series in the bag.

However, as I saw things shaking out, I figured Jackson and Danks would for sure get us wins while Humber and Floyd would have to rely on a great offense.

I was wrong about Danks and Humber.

Great start, Phil.

soxinem1
Holy 1st Save batman

Sure wasn't smooth Sale-ing though.:smile:

Still say Sale or even Santos should close from here on out.

twinsuck
Humber!!!!!!

Carneyman14
04-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I think Sale should be considered as our closer and Santos should be the 8th inning set up. I'm just saying.
fify :D:

soxinem1
I hope Lopez is in the lineup tomorrow.

So do I, with a 12-0 lead in the ninth.

KMcMahon817
Good game, SOX.

Enjoy your crow, Lip.

thomas35forever
Sure wasn't smooth Sale-ing though.:smile:

Still say Sale or even Santos should close from here on out.
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed what they played after the final out.

JermaineDye05

Yeah, that bat flip when his team was still down was really unnecessary.

SoxSpeed22
04-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Could've done without that drama in the 9th. I think Lopez earned himself a day off tomorrow.
Humber hung in there well and made the pitches he had to. Ohman and Santos did their jobs and there might be some things to figure out with Thorny though. Some nice defense and clutch hitting carried this one. Get 3 out of 4.

Nelfox02
todays W, and getting one tomorrow, would go a long way to heal Friday night wounds.

nice game today. Humber blew away any expectations. Lets get a rare quality april start and a W from Gavin tomorrow. maybe since it will be 80+ degrees he will forget it is April

DirtySox
Yeah, that bat flip when his team was still down was really unnecessary.

And the pitch wasn't even that close to hitting him.

guillensdisciple
04-09-2011, 05:58 PM
fify :D:

LOL! Definitely mr. Thornton not mr. Santos.

kittle42
04-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Good win. Sucks that we can't get a solid 9th inning, but whatever.

Great start for Humber, but don't get too excited. Peavy couldn't come back soon enough.

konerko 14
04-09-2011, 05:59 PM
great game by Humber :bandance:

Boondock Saint
Could've done without that drama in the 9th. I think Lopez earned himself a day off tomorrow.
Humber hung in there well and made the pitches he had to. Ohman and Santos did their jobs and there might be some things to figure out with Thorny though. Some nice defense and clutch hitting carried this one. Get 3 out of 4.

Sure, if he's pulled from the game because of bruised ribs. What a punk.

voodoochile
If not for Fuld's amazing POTY worthy catch this game is a blowout. Nice to see Sale settle down and get the final outs after a rocky start to the inning.

More clutch two out hitting is always a good thing.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

WhiteSoxOnly
Nice bounce back after that dump last night.3 of 4 sounds good about now.:gulp:

asindc
04-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Lopez was known to be a cliubhouse problem when he was with the Nats. Guess he hasn't changed much.

Great job, Phil!:gulp:

TheOldRoman
04-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I hope Lopez is in the lineup tomorrow.Why? We know what is going to happen. He would bat at the bottom of the order and the Rays will hit a Sox batter before he comes up, bring an umpire's warning. Then the next time the Sox play the Rays, they will unsuccessfully try to throw at Lopez, bringing on another warning.

sullythered
04-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Coop... fixed 'em???

kufram
04-09-2011, 06:07 PM
And the pitch wasn't even that close to hitting him.

He was like a hockey player... starting a fight to get his team going. Idiot. Sale did exactly the right thing, absolutely nothing.

JermaineDye05
04-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The White Sox are now 5-1 when I have the telecast.

0-2 without.

Odds not looking good tomorrow as it's on CSN+

SoxFan1979
04-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Humber deserved that win. I'd like to see a 1-2-3 ninth inning for once though.

I think we all do :D: Way to comeback for the win after last nights nightmare!

manders_01
04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Great game! So glad I got to see it. Congratulations to Humber!

soxinem1
04-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Why? We know what is going to happen. He would bat at the bottom of the order and the Rays will hit a Sox batter before he comes up, bring an umpire's warning. Then the next time the Sox play the Rays, they will unsuccessfully try to throw at Lopez, bringing on another warning.

Sean Tracey is not in the organization anymore. :D:

shingo10
04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Good win. Last night still hurts a bit but this helps tremendously. Hopefully the warm weather serves Gavin well tomorrow.

Btw: Has Coop gained like 20 pounds? Man, he looks huge this year.

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
So glad that it looks like this team is in good hands until Peavy returns.

NDSox12
04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
He was like a hockey player... starting a fight to get his team going. Idiot. Sale did exactly the right thing, absolutely nothing.

Agreed. Although serving up a home run ball on the next pitch may not have been exactly the right thing.

kevingrt
04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
A win is a win however you can do it. Huge clutch RBI's there by AJ in the 7th. Lets go win the series tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Very impressive with the way the Sox shook off last night's disaster and played good solid baseball today.

5-3 is a nice start, 6-3 would be better! LOL

Also have to say I was impressed with Humber today, went one inning more than I thought he would and he left with the lead.

Like the first poster (maybe the second said) he's keeping the seat warm for another few weeks then maybe he slides into middle relief or gets sent to Charlotte where he can be an option later in the year.

He deserved the win and congrats to him. It was a nice bounce back.

----------------------------------

Skot..never said it was "guaranteed", please point out where I did so. I said the odds weren't in his favor. I was being realistic about his chances. I'm happy they won today, it's a bonus.

Just wondering... if he gets hammered in his next start do I get to call that to your attention? (or are you the only one allowed to say "I told you so..." ) Just trying to get the ground-rules straightened out.

McMahon: No worries. I love crow especially in a bourguignon sauce. (By the way Lucas Harrell won his first start in the bigs vs. the A's last July too)

Lip

johnnyg83
04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't think anyone was expecting a 6.0 IP 1 ER game from Humber.

Nice way to grab back the momentum we lost last night.

Corlose 15
04-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Skot..never said it was "guaranteed", please point out where I did so. I said the odds weren't in his favor. I was being realistic about his chances. I'm happy they won today, it's a bonus.

Just wondering... if he gets hammered in his next start do I get to call that to your attention? (or are you the only one allowed to say "I told you so..." ) Just trying to get the ground-rules straightened out.

Lip

I don't mean to pile on here or bust your chops (too much :tongue:) Lip, but in the final postgame thread of the KC series you said the Sox would "almost certainly" lose the game Humber started. Again, that's not being realistic it's being pessimistic.

That said, if Humber blows up the next couple starts feel free to throw it back in everyone's face. After all, that's what message boards are for. :smile:

Lip Man 1
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Corlose:

No worries.

Maybe it's just splitting hairs but "almost certainly" isn't "guaranteed" is it? It still allows a small possibility for the unexpected (which apparently happened today :D:)

Guaranteed means there is absolutely zero chance of something unexpected happening, in this case "winning". Considering he had no track record of anykind to speak of except being traded a few times as a #1 draft choice, I thought it was realistic and stand by it.

Like I said no problem, glad the Sox won, they needed it. (and I wasn't the only one who thought they were going to lose today LOL)

Lip

KMcMahon817
04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
No worries. I love crow especially in a bourguignon sauce. (By the way Lucas Harrell won his first start in the bigs vs. the A's last July too)

Lip

Well, this was actually Humber's third MLB start. But, I know what you mean. I wasn't overly confident with Humber taking the hill, but the game isn't played on paper. And actually, he looked pretty decent. He's got a nasty curve.

October26
04-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I really enjoyed seeing the White sox play so well today. Happy dance: :bandance:

Marqhead
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Great time at the ball park today. Humber was great, offense did what it needed to, weather was perfect and I'm loving the new seats I got.

Can't wait to get back out there next Friday.

dickallen15
04-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Great time at the ball park today. Humber was great, offense did what it needed to, weather was perfect and I'm loving the new seats I got.

Can't wait to get back out there next Friday.

You must have been in the sun. It was chilly in the shade.

Marqhead
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Yeah, 3rd base side. It was perfect in the sun. Got a little chillier toward the later innings but that was alright.

Must have been 10-15 degrees cooler in the shade.

TDog
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
If not for Fuld's amazing POTY worthy catch this game is a blowout. Nice to see Sale settle down and get the final outs after a rocky start to the inning.

I was thinking the same thing. That was one of the best catches I've ever seen, and it came at a time when it kept the Rays in the game.

It was ironic, though, that Pierre came up with the bases loaded and a one-run lead in that situation because the Rays couldn't catch popups. A missed foul pop behind third led to a walk, and Morel's shattered-bat, bases loaded single could only command respect in the box score.

It looked like the White Sox should have scored more. Even then it took Pierzynski's clutch two-out double to open the game up a bit. I liked the way Humber pitched after giving up the lead, and I liked the way the Sox came back and tied it. (Normally I don't like sacrifice bunts to move a runner over to third, preferring hitters to hit to the right side, which used to be fundamental baseball, but Pierre has a great chance of getting a hit or forcing a bad throw when he bunts.)

It looks like this team has some character. They have experienced losses this year on nights they seemed to have the game won and have come back with wins the next afternoon. Ohman and Teahen were booed (by all accounts; I didn't see it) on opening day, and both have played well in the opening homestand. This seems to be a team that puts bad stuff behind them.

Really, I wasn't surprised Humber won today, but I was surprised he pitched as well as he did. I was surprised he appeared to have such control with so much movement over six innings. A Humber start is no more an automatic loss than is a ninth-inning save situation for the post-Bobby Jenks White Sox.

Noneck
04-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Guaranteed means there is absolutely zero chance of something unexpected happening, in this case "winning".

No outcome is guaranteed (except death). Look at what happened at the Wood Memorial today.

btw: I booked todays game as a Sox loss.

tebman
04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Great game. No pick to click yet, but the Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4075) is on the air.

:gulp:

Edit: there's a PTC now, and the TBGR has been brought up to date! Attaboy, A.J.!

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Fun game to go to (it's always fun when they win!) but man it was cold in the shade! My friend and I moved across the way to the sun where it was pleasant. A couple of things, that catch made by their RFer off of Pierre's line drive might have been one of the best catches I have ever seen in person. A fantastic play. I am still scared of whoever our closer is, there is nothing else like getting those last three outs and we don't have a guy who I feel is absolutely shut down yet. And what happened between Sale and that guy who hit the HR? Were words exchanged? I looked away for a second and I saw guys trying to take him away to the bench.

hi im skot
04-09-2011, 08:17 PM

If Humber gets rocked in his next outing, you're welcome to say whatever you'd like. I never said anything about Humber prior to this start, good or bad. I just thought it was unfair that it was foregone conclusion that the Sox would lose this game.

I hope Humber and the rest of the pitching staff keep doing what they're supposed to do.

gregoriop
04-09-2011, 08:24 PM
My first game of the year, some thoughts:

The Groupon line was REALLY long. If anyone else went in on the deal, get there early to give you plenty of time to eat/drink.

We were in section 105 and saw a lot of security everywhere. It seemed like a lot of people were getting kicked out.

Tragg
04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice effort for Humber.
Guillen's teams have been consistent on at least one thing: BS losses (like last night) do not linger.

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Good win. Sucks that we can't get a solid 9th inning, but whatever.

Great start for Humber, but don't get too excited. Peavy couldn't come back soon enough.

I agree. Peavy can stil be a top of the rotation guy while Humber can be a# 5 on his best day.

slavko
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Good win. Last night still hurts a bit but this helps tremendously. Hopefully the warm weather serves Gavin well tomorrow.

Btw: Has Coop gained like 20 pounds? Man, he looks huge this year.

This may be the start of something here at WSI. Coach looks fat, can't coach as good as he did last year. :D:

I agree. Peavy can stil be a top of the rotation guy while Humber can be a# 5 on his best day.

Humber could wind up as the clo.... never mind.

Soxman219
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Anyone got a video on what Lopez did that made the Sox players angry?

FielderJones
04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, it was a great first Sox game for me this year, and a great first time in the Club level. Humber was above and beyond any of my expectations; congratulations to him.

As has been mentioned above it was chilly in the shade, but it's always warmer walking down the ramps after a Sox win.

After further review of the DVR, the FJ clan was on TV. A hardy fan in shorts and a Konerko pinstripe made his second :o: great catch of a foul ball into section 328 in the 9th inning. Hawk said to give that fan a contract, as the FJ group looked on in approval.

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Well, it was a great first Sox game for me this year, and a great first time in the Club level. Humber was above and beyond any of my expectations; congratulations to him.

As has been mentioned above it was chilly in the shade, but it's always warmer walking down the ramps after a Sox win.

After further review of the DVR, the FJ clan was on TV. A hardy fan in shorts and a Konerko pinstripe made his second :o: great catch of a foul ball into section 328 in the 9th inning. Hawk said to give that fan a contract, as the FJ group looked on in approval.
The same fan caught 2 foul balls in the same inning? What are the odds of that happening?

How was it in the Club level? I've sat there only once (in 2005) myself.

FielderJones
04-09-2011, 09:13 PM
The same fan caught 2 foul balls in the same inning? What are the odds of that happening?

Not two foul balls in the same inning, but his second of the game. I think his other one was off Rios in the 7th.

Club level is really posh. When you walk down the carpeted corridor it's like being in a hotel. In 328 you are right across from the bathrooms, a souvenir shop, and a food stand. Very nice small round four-top tables are in the foyer. In-seat service has a portable credit card reader so you can run a tab. It's very easy to get spoiled in Club level.

mzh
04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Good game, from what I can tell. RIP Konerko's club record of RBI in 7 straight games to start the year!

doublem23
04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, 3rd base side. It was perfect in the sun. Got a little chillier toward the later innings but that was alright.

Must have been 10-15 degrees cooler in the shade.

I could see my breath in the shade, luckily, the nacho helmet captivated me for a good 2-3 innings.

JB98
04-09-2011, 10:44 PM
There have been 27 innings played in this series, and the Sox have played well for 26 of them.

Humber had his breaking pitch working for him today. Nice outing. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

It's nice to get a win over Davis, a pitcher who had given the Sox trouble in the past. Davis was 2-0 with a 2.19 ERA against the Sox last year. Our guys didn't hit him real hard today, but they scratched across enough runs to come out on top.

Nice bounce back after the debacle last night.

MtGrnwdSoxFan

I think it was in like '07 (in Anaheim?) when the same fan caught consecutive foul balls. He was behind the plate too, so that was even more impressive.

DirtySox
I could see my breath in the shade, luckily, the nacho helmet captivated me for a good 2-3 innings.

This is all I can think of when I see the words nacho helmet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/2313556732_13eba22f03.jpg

doublem23
04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
This is all I can think of when I see the words nacho helmet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/2313556732_13eba22f03.jpg

I'm disappointed I couldn't wear it, but I guarantee it's worth your $11. Best bargain in the ballpark, even if the Tex-Mex stand in Section 122 had run out of guac in a bag by the time I got there.

BTW, that Sam Fuld layout was RIDICULOUS. I didn't think he had a chance at that ball, I'm still wondering how he came down with it.

Brian26
04-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyone got a video on what Lopez did that made the Sox players angry?

Stared down Sale because a pitch was an inch inside and then threw his bat halfway towards the mound after he connected on the homer.

DirtySox
04-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Stared down Sale because a pitch was an inch inside and then threw his bat halfway towards the mound after he connected on the homer.

Supposedly he apologized to Ozzie after the game. Though he insists he didn't throw the bat on purpose.

doublem23
04-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Video clip here... Judge for yourself.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13612241

I don't doubt that, after he cooled down, he realized he was being an asshat, and I commend him for apologizing if he really did, but no way that bat got thrown out there on accident.

beasly213
04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Video clip here... Judge for yourself.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13612241

I don't doubt that, after he cooled down, he realized he was being an asshat, and I commend him for apologizing if he really did, but no way that bat got thrown out there on accident.

Good for him for apologizing but I'm sure he said he didn't do it on purpose to avoid action from MLB.

PeteWard
04-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Good for him for apologizing but I'm sure he said he didn't do it on purpose to avoid action from MLB.

He was looking towards Sale as he flipped it. Definitely intentional. Maddon gave him **** for it an a post game interview and said Sale was not throwing at anyone. Always liked Maddon.

Hendu
04-10-2011, 12:16 AM
There are very few times I can recall giving a standing O to an opposing player at the Cell. Clemens pitching a great game for the Jays, A-Rod hitting a mammoth homerun for the M's big Frank crushing a homer on his return, and Fuld making one of the greatest catches I've ever seen in person. Poor Juan.

I wasn't expecting much from Humber but he was great. Hopefully we can nail the series down tomorrow.

Doub I tried the nacho helmet on after cleaning it out of course...way too big for my head. Best deal in the park by far.

HomeFish
04-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Back to 2 games up on the Twins.

JermaineDye05
04-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Back to 2 games up on the Twins.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real HomeFish?

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2011, 01:46 AM

You're not kidding! It was a tale of two seasons out at the ballpark today. People in the sun were wearing short sleeves and looked very comfortable. Meanwhile, up in Sec. 533... Brrrrrrrr!!!!! I had three layers on and that wasn't nearly enough; I was cold from start to finish. I regretted not wearing my boots and not bringing gloves or a blanket.

As for the game, it was awesome and surprisingly easy to score. I was prepared to see half the bullpen this afternoon, but was pleased that there were only three pitching changes. The offense looked good yet again, and had it not been for that ridiculous catch by Fuld, the game would've been a blowout. For me, the highlight of the afternoon was seeing Robin Ventura on the Jumbotron. :wink:

I made my first stop at Bacardi at the Park this afternoon (thanks to DumpJerry and soxstarter for grabbing us a table) and I was impressed. I didn't get to see much of it, considering the crowd at 2:30p, but thought it was beautiful inside. I picked at the nachos and thought they were solid. We'll get in there for a pre-game or post-game meal at some point, but right now it's still new and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Once it does, it'll be a lot easier to get in there. I'm curious if Cork & Kerry at the Park is suffering or will suffer at all since Bacardi at the Park has opened....

BoysMom3
04-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I watched the game at home on tv and clapped for Fuld's catch. Amazing.

DirtySox
04-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Maddon Displeased with Lopez (http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/4197/maddon-displeased-by-lopezs-celebration)

doublem23
04-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think Cork & Kerry is an any real danger, 2 blocks isn't that much of a distance to avoid the prices at Bacardi. If any sports bars in the area are in danger, its the ones a little further away like Rocky's or Wings & Rings, which have to compete with their location. C&K was pretty busy yesterday while I was there.

BoysMom3
04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Maddon Displeased with Lopez (http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/4197/maddon-displeased-by-lopezs-celebration)

Nice article. And I love A.J.

Thome25
04-11-2011, 05:58 AM

I absolutely LOVED it when AJ got in his face when he came back around he bases. Gotta love AJ's leadership and how he stood up for the young Sale.