PDA

View Full Version : 1993 West Division clincher

thomas35forever
04-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Q7ZqEFohDHo
Man, I wish I was older than four years old at this time so I could appreciate what was happening. I had just started preschool.

RhubarbStew
04-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I was there. Bo Jackson with the towering 3-run homer. I thought it was way too high to go out.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
The headline on the back page of the Sun-Times was a classic. "The Crowning Bo-ment."

Lip

Corlose 15
04-09-2011, 07:48 PM
That was the first good Sox team I remember, being 10 years old that year and really cemented my love of the Sox. It was a good team with great players like Black Jack, Robin, Ozzie, Frank, and Raines. Growing up in Michigan I didn't get to watch the Sox much so seeing them in the playoffs was really cool.

Damn Juan Guzman.:angry:

Madvora
04-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Man I loved Ellis Burks!

JermaineDye05
04-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Cool video. Hawk sounds so young.

Someone needs to post the video of the insane Sox/Tigers brawl in 2000. With the MLB copyright laws though, probably won't see it anytime soon unless MLB Network or ESPN airs the top 10 brawls in baseball.

I have yet to see that one, only pictures.

SoxFan1979
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Man I loved Ellis Burks!

I was going to say look at Elis hahahahaha. I was 14 and had a huge man crush for Frank lol. Man those were the days.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Someone needs to post the video of the insane Sox/Tigers brawl in 2000. With the MLB copyright laws though, probably won't see it anytime soon unless MLB Network or ESPN airs the top 10 brawls in baseball.

I suspect that with MLB copyright laws this video won't be long for youtube either. There used to be a lot of clips from Sox games in the '70s with Harry at the mic that have all been pulled.

BainesHOF
04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Sat in the left-field bleachers that night so I had an awesome view of Bo's majestic home run that seemingly stayed high in the air forever.

After the game, a friend and I went to celebrate at Jimbo's. On the way back to our car that was parked in one of the Sox lots, I suggested we check out the players' lot for the heck of it. As if on cue, we get there and out comes Bo, obviously flying high. He was absolutely beaming. He signed autographs for everyone including a ball for me. I still have it.

beasly213
04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Bo Knows Home runs :cool:

4MMtOHfQFcU

mzh
04-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Not to be a dark cloud, but GAWD was that not an ugly ballpark back in the day :tongue:

johnnyg83
04-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I was there ... walking in the concourse near 3rd base for some reason ... I had to lean down ... even then only the fan reaction told me it was out. What a night.

tstrike2000
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Was in my first year of college and remember watching Ellis Burks catch the final out with Kirk McCaskill pitching. The homer off Bo's bat was amazing since it basically looked like a major league pop-up when it left his bat. Great team and great pitching staff. Too bad they were unable to overcome the eventual World Series Champion Jays.

Foulke You
04-10-2011, 11:21 AM

I was at that game in person. Best basebrawl(s) I've ever seen, TV or otherwise.

LongLiveFisk
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Those are great memories. I was still a UIC student at the time and one morning during playoff time as I was driving north on I-55 on my way to school, I saw a black and very expensive looking sports car in front of me with Alabama plates that said "LIQUID". When I got next to him and looked over, it was none other than Bo Jackson! I honked and waved at him. :cool:

The only bummer for me at the time was the team not letting Fisk in the clubhouse to congratulate the rest of the guys. He had been released by the team earlier that year (June), so he naturally was not there at the end when they clinched. But that was then. Things seem to have been smoothed over since between the Sox organization and him.

skobabe8
04-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I was there.

SOXPHILE
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I was at that game, sitting down the left field line. I remember Jackson's home run seemed to keep going up and up and up, higher than the foul pole. I was in the upper deck, lookin UP at it.

JorgeFabregas
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
This was the first Sox game that I ever attended. I had won tickets for that date from the WMAQ Sports Huddle a month or two before. I was 11 years old. Nice game. Wilson Alvarez received a standing ovation when he departed, from what I recall.

RadioheadRocks
04-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Was also there, sitting in section 157 with my aunt. I won the tickets a few nights earlier at a White Sox fan rally night at Half-Time Sports in West Chicago. Definitely remember Bo's home run... my aunt thought it would go foul but I thought the left fielder had a play, but it kept on carrying until it ultimately left the yard. Fantastic night and the post-game was incredible!

On a sad note, it was the only game my aunt attended at the new park; she passed away three years later. My mention in the "Dedicated To..." book is to her and also to my grandmother... wish they could have been here to see us win it all in '05.

mattcoz
04-11-2011, 03:27 AM
I was 12 years old and at Space Academy(Space Camp for older kids) at the time, and my mom told me about it over the phone. Made a great week that much more memorable. :D:

Thinking back on it now, hard to imagine not having a cell phone and constantly checking the score. :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Anyone recognize the moment at 1:41? It's part of the montage now.

I was a freshman in high school when the Sox won the West in '93 and I remember doing my Biology homework while listening to the game on the radio that night (no cable). I'll never forget how excited I was that my favorite team was headed to the playoffs for the first time in my memory.

The dugout jacket they're wearing is the first piece of authentic Sox gear I ever bought for myself. It's still in the front closet at my parents' house, too. I also still have the sweatshirt from this division championship. Though I'm sure it no longer fits, I refuse to give it away.

TomBradley72
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I was there as well- the hangtime on Bo's homer was epic- we closed Shinnick's that night.

Just a few weeks later- WSox are up in Game 1 of the ALCS 3-2 after 4 innings- then a rumor starts to spread through the crowd that Jordan has announced he's retiring, McDowell let's up 3 runs in the 5th- and a potentially great night quickly turns sour.

mrwag
04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I was there in the right field bleachers. I organized a group of us from work to go, I picked that day as the clincher a week or so in advance. I was really sweating out the double-header the day before and gambled that they'd split the DH, which they did and won on the day I picked. It was awesome! I remember Bo's homer thinking at first it would just be a fly-out, but it kept going and going... Poof!

Good times for sure!

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Was in the company seats 23 rows off 1st base in the lower bowl; went ape**** when Bo's HR cleared the wall.....was the 1st time in my professional career that I literally went to work the next day on a shower, change of clothes and a few cups of coffee.

SoxFan1979
04-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Awesome stories guys!

LITTLE NELL
04-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I was also there, sat in row 29 which back then was the last row of the upper deck. We looked right down the left field line and when Bo hit the HR I didn't think it had a chance of clearing the wall, he muscled that ball out of the park, most players would have flied out to medium LF but Bo was so strong and like I said he just plained muscled that ball.
Everybody stayed for at least an hour after the game dancing and singing in the aisles (29 rows up and steep so we skipped the dancing in the aisle part) and the Sox came out and did a victory lap and the place went wild.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I was there. Bo Jackson with the towering 3-run homer. I thought it was way too high to go out.

You and everyone else in the park. When I finally saw the game re-run on TV, I saw that as the ball goes up, the shortstop backs up. He (briefly) thought he had a chance at it!

Ex-Chicagoan
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Was there, too - third base line, top deck. Bo's homer was probably the slowest fly ball I have ever seen in my life, but I had a view of it all the way out.

I need to check now if I recorded the last out on my scorecard. I think we were yelling too loudly.

C-Dawg
04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I was at the double-header the previous day that Frank mentioned in the video; had they won both games they would have clinched it then. That's my claim to fame I suppose....

palehosepub
04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I was at that game too, ranks up there high on my all time list of Sox games attended (but after WS game # 2 and the Blackout game). We figured out that they could clinch that Sunday night so I bought tickets over the phone and we had to pick them up at will call. Many many people had the same idea when we got to the park - the will call line was extending down the block. Huge walk up sale, we got in the park about the second inning. Bo's home run was like something out of The Natural movie. TomBradley mentioned Shinnicks Pub - that is also where we celebrated, we always park our cars there. The scene inside the bar after the game was wild jubiliation. I remember a burley guy dressed in a toga pouring champagne down everyone's mouth - if you didn't open your mouth he poured it anyway. I have been to every home playoff since then but it was the only time we won anything at home. I saw Toronto celebrate on our field in 1993 and Tampa Bay as well in 2008 - not a nice feeling. In 2000 we clinched on the road. In 2005 we clinched the playoff spot at Detoit and won each series after on the road. There nothing like celebrating on the home field, I hope to do that again this September!

VMSNS
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM

I've been eager to see that video for a while now. My brother and cousin were at that game. I hope it shows up at some point.

Chez
04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
For the life of me, I still can't figure out why Lamont went to McCaskill and not to Roberto Hernandez to close the clincher in '93.

MarkM2112
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
I remember that day very well! I called that morning for a single seat, and got one in the upper deck 3rd base side. I remember that everyone was asked to bring a White Sock to wave around a'la Terrible Towels or Homer Hankies... I thought it was a cute idea so I brought one... The line for Will Call went on forever, so I wasn't able to get in till the 3rd... I also remember Bo's home run! I also thought that it was too high to get out, but out it went, and the crowd just erupted! (it also reminded me of that scene in Major League when the guys in the bleachers were discussing the ball being too high after Wild Thing gave up a homer early in the movie.) When the Sox won, it was just incredible! Fireworks going off and Sweet Home Chicago playing! It was awesome!!!

On a side note, I went back for a game a few days later, and the place was practically EMPTY!!! I had some guests with me and I had never been so embarrased to be a Sox fan in my life! Here they are, just clinching the division, and now the place is empty? Really???

esbrechtel
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
The headline on the back page of the Sun-Times was a classic. "The Crowning Bo-ment."

Lip

I still have that photo...I also have the other side where Ozzie is hugging Bo with the title "Winning Snugly"

Red Barchetta
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM

I was there too! I was sitting down the 3rd base line and thought it was a pop up to short left field when it left the bat. Then it just started carrying....