PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney??

dllrbll7
04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
During the pregame video they had a moment of silence for all that had passed in the off season. One name they put up there was John Rooney(sp?). They did have a picture with the name, but no one around me knew if it was the John Rooney that used to broadcast the games. I have searched around the interenet and haven't found anything about him dying, does anyone know if it was him, or if there was another John Rooney in the organization?

SephClone89
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
John Rooney is on the air calling the Cardinals as I type, so I'm going out on a limb to suggest it's not him.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2011, 06:08 PM
If memory serves I think John was a coach for the Sox...I want to say either for Al Lopez or Eddie Stanky.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
04-08-2011, 06:53 PM
If memory serves I think John was a coach for the Sox...I want to say either for Al Lopez or Eddie Stanky.

Lip

Lip,

I think you meant John Cooney who was a coach under Lopez except he died in 1986.

thomas35forever
04-08-2011, 08:29 PM
The person in the photo looked nothing like the John Rooney we heard on the radio for years. That one is still breathing and active.

ChicagoG19
04-08-2011, 08:31 PM
It would be awesome if the Sox somehow brought John Rooney back to the radio booth. However, I am afraid that bridge has been burned.

Brian26
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I saw that too. It was definitely Rooney, not Cooney.

The only other John Rooney that I know of associated with the Sox was the gentleman from US Cellular who's thrown out the first pitch a few times.

StillMissOzzie
04-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I saw that too. It was definitely Rooney, not Cooney.

The only other John Rooney that I know of associated with the Sox was the gentleman from US Cellular who's thrown out the first pitch a few times.

I do recall a US Cellular executive with the name John Rooney. Perhaps he was instrumental in sponsoring the naming rights for US Cellular Field?

SMO
:?:

salty99
04-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I do recall a US Cellular executive with the name John Rooney. Perhaps he was instrumental in sponsoring the naming rights for US Cellular Field?

SMO

Yes except that John Rooney is still alive.

SOXSINCE'70
04-09-2011, 11:18 AM
:rooney

"I am not dead.":cool:

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
During the pregame video they had a moment of silence for all that had passed in the off season. One name they put up there was John Rooney(sp?). They did have a picture with the name, but no one around me knew if it was the John Rooney that used to broadcast the games. I have searched around the interenet and haven't found anything about him dying, does anyone know if it was him, or if there was another John Rooney in the organization?

I saw the same thing, look online, and found nothing also.

Nelson Foxtrot
04-10-2011, 12:35 AM

SMO

He was the President & CEO of US Cellular. His son, who passed away in February at age 40, was probably the man shown.

bigsoxfan420
04-10-2011, 07:18 AM
:rooney

"I am not dead.":cool:

Neither this guy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
:D: