PDA

View Full Version : Rowand to be released?

Vestigio
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Back to the Sox?

With Cody Ross coming back anyday now, the Giants might outright release Rowand. We could use a legit 4th outfielder, but only if Giants decide to drop Rowand. I dont want any part of his contract

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/04/06/orioles.macphail/1.html

DirtySox
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Rowand sure fell off.

Lamp81
04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Is there a difference between Released and Waived?

If waived, all other teams with a worse record than the Sox could claim him.

Is there a way he is an immediate Free Agent and can sign with the Sox, if there is mutual interest, and the Giants are paying his salary?

kittle42
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd rather have Lillibridge.

asindc
04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
If SF continues to pay him, why not?

Over By There
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
If this happens, guaranteed WSI crash. :dtroll:

Jpgr91
04-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe we should also sign pods and Dye? At any rate, there is no way that Rowand is more valuable than Lillibridge.

eriqjaffe
04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Is there a way he is an immediate Free Agent and can sign with the Sox, if there is mutual interest, and the Giants are paying his salary?If the Giants release him, they're on the hook for the rest of his contract, and Rowand can sign wherever he wants (or with whoever will have him) for however much he can get, as long as it's league minimum.

If he's waived, then the claiming team takes on the contract, like the Sox did with Rios.

TheOldRoman
04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Is there a difference between Released and Waived?

If waived, all other teams with a worse record than the Sox could claim him.

Is there a way he is an immediate Free Agent and can sign with the Sox, if there is mutual interest, and the Giants are paying his salary?Sure. I think the Giants would waive him regardless (if they don't just DFA him), and they would then release him if he clears waivers, which of course he would. The Giants could just cut him now, but they would go through waivers in case someone got stupid. Either way, unless the Giants actually trade him, they are going to pay his salary in full.

voodoochile
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
There is no chance any team picks him up off of waivers for those prices.

soxnut1018
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
No.

esbrechtel
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the Yankees series in 05 but I have been over you since you cost Joe Crede WS MVP by not tagging up on a fly ball...

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Rowand sure fell off.

He was actually having a pretty nice year last year until he got drilled in the face by Padillia.

gobears1987
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd say let him clear waivers. If that happens he either accepts assignment to the minors or asks to be released. If he's released, I'd take a flyer on him so long as he accepts a cheap contract. He's not a starter anymore, that's for sure. He can be a good bench player though. I'd rather see him play when guys get a day off instead of Teahan.

jdm2662
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd say let him clear waivers. If that happens he either accepts assignment to the minors or asks to be released. If he's released, I'd take a flyer on him so long as he accepts a cheap contract. He's not a starter anymore, that's for sure. He can be a good bench player though. I'd rather see him play when guys get a day off instead of Teahan.

I think we are all looking for anyone or anything to take Teahan's place... I'm also ok with Rowand, as long as he is a bench player/fourth outfielder.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM

There is no way, with his stat line of late and the fact that the Giants would be on the hook for the remaining part of his current contract, that Rowand would be stupid enough to ask for a dime more than league minimum from interested teams if he does get released.

That said, I wouldn't mind having a backup OF that can actually play defense, and spell Rios if need be.

Gavin
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Rowand would be much, much better in the OF than Lillibridge and Teahan. How many games will they cost us with their defense? This is a no-brainer, low-risk move for the Sox. I don't get why the Giants would release him outright though.

Noneck
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
If he can still play a decent OF, he is someone the Sox should look for on the cheap. Quentin and Rios will need days off and god forbid if Rios gets injured.

TheOldRoman
04-08-2011, 04:14 PM
There is no way, with his stat line of late and the fact that the Giants would be on the hook for the remaining part of his current contract, that Rowand would be stupid enough to ask for a dime more than league minimum from interested teams if he does get released.

That said, I wouldn't mind having a backup OF that can actually play defense, and spell Rios if need be.If he signs elsewhere, it would be for the minimum. The Giants would have to pay him his full contract value minus the minimum salary his new team pays. He can't make more than he is making now.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
If he signs elsewhere, it would be for the minimum. The Giants would have to pay him his full contract value minus the minimum salary his new team pays. He can't make more than he is making now.

Oh...yeah, I was thinking about how that worked. I thought it was thrown on top of what the Giants owe.

Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

TDog
04-08-2011, 05:06 PM
He was actually having a pretty nice year last year until he got drilled in the face by Padillia.

Rowand had done a good job this year. He has played only 3 games, but he has 4 hits in 7 at bats, including a pinch-hit home run. I don't see the Giants releasing him. He might have had a great season last year, when he was the opening day leadoff man. His injury, though, forced the Giants to play a career minor-leaguer who has a breakout year and really sparked their championship run.

Of course, the Giants signed him to a stupid contract, which prevented the White Sox from signing him to a more realistic contract and, perhaps, not being in the market for Alex Rios to replace Dewayne Wise. Now, because of the outfielders the Giants picked up to provide offense late last season, Rowand is the odd man out. But I don't see the Giants eating the contract, even though Rowand has become a bench player.

What I have heard (I didn't click on any of the links in this thread, so this may be redundant) is that the Giants have been talking to teams about trading Rowand. The two names that have come up are Fukudome and Milton Bradley, both of whom are being overpaid themselves.

The big problem with the Giants early this season is that they've been playing Huff in right. When Cody Ross comes back, I think Huff will move to left, especially at home, the Giants really need to shore up their corner-field defense. Having a backup centerfielder isn't such a bad idea either.

rockinrobin23
04-10-2011, 05:21 PM
i hope the giants do release him and the sox pick him up. Still my fav sox player from the 05 team by far.

kevingrt
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
i hope the giants do release him and the sox pick him up. Still my fav sox player from the 05 team by far.

I just think he is an upgrade over Teahan and Lilli.

TDog
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM

The Giants aren't going to release him. Since my previous post, Rowand, who had come in as a home-opener defensive replacement, got a two-out hit before scoring the winning run in the ninth and got the game-winning hit off the wall in the 12th -- the second straight home opener he has picked up the game-winning hit. The next night, the starting centerfielder went down with a heel injury. I haven't heard how badly Torres is hurt, but it's the kind of injury that might linger, and today, Rowand was starting in center. At minimum, the Giants need a backup centerfielder more than ever.

Rowand is grossly overpaid, but he is no longer viewed as the odd-man out in the outfield as he was a week ago.

Taliesinrk
04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I wrote in ST about wanting someone who had some pop on our bench, and how I thought the Sox were lacking that with Lillibridge (and the possibility of breaking camp with De Aza as well). Rowand can play sufficient defense and would bring a different type of game than Lillibridge has (speed and whatever else it is that he brings). I would definitely like the Rowand pickup (for about league minimum, of course), but wonder if KW and Ozzie would do that with what they've told Milledge - seems like they have really appreciated his efforts and that would essentially mean Milledge would be stuck in AAA permanently for the rest of the season.

doublem23
04-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I wrote in ST about wanting someone who had some pop on our bench, and how I thought the Sox were lacking that with Lillibridge (and the possibility of breaking camp with De Aza as well). Rowand can play sufficient defense and would bring a different type of game than Lillibridge has (speed and whatever else it is that he brings). I would definitely like the Rowand pickup (for about league minimum, of course), but wonder if KW and Ozzie would do that with what they've told Milledge - seems like they have really appreciated his efforts and that would essentially mean Milledge would be stuck in AAA permanently for the rest of the season.

Unlikely because even a poor talent evaluator like Ozzie wouldn't need more than 10-15 games to realize Rowand is horrible.

Taliesinrk
04-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Unlikely because even a poor talent evaluator like Ozzie wouldn't need more than 10-15 games to realize Rowand is horrible.

compared to who? to clarify, you're saying you'd rather have lillibridge or teahen as the back-up OF than Rowand making league minimum?

SoxfaninLA
04-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Rowand would be much, much better in the OF than Lillibridge and Teahan. How many games will they cost us with their defense? This is a no-brainer, low-risk move for the Sox. I don't get why the Giants would release him outright though.

Lillibridge plays pretty good defense in the OF, he just can't hit his way out of a paper bag.

Either way I don't think Rowand gets released by the Giants. He may be ridiculously overpaid but he isn't horrible as a 4th OF, and they are stuck paying for him one way or another.

doublem23
04-11-2011, 08:34 AM
compared to who? to clarify, you're saying you'd rather have lillibridge or teahen as the back-up OF than Rowand making league minimum?

We just have to deal with the fact that Teahen's not going anywhere, but at least he's left-handed. And yes, Lillibridge can at least run. If you need a guy to play 140 games for you, obviously Rowand would likely put up better numbers than Lillibridge, but when you're building a bench, you need guys who have skills that mesh into your overall team's structure. Lillibridge may not be able to hit and may be just an OK defender, but he's the only source of speed on the Sox bench.

Zisk77
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
We just have to deal with the fact that Teahen's not going anywhere, but at least he's left-handed. And yes, Lillibridge can at least run. If you need a guy to play 140 games for you, obviously Rowand would likely put up better numbers than Lillibridge, but when you're building a bench, you need guys who have skills that mesh into your overall team's structure. Lillibridge may not be able to hit and may be just an OK defender, but he's the only source of speed on the Sox bench.

I wouldn't say only source of speed, Teahen runs very well.

doublem23
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM

If Mark Teahen is your best source of speed on the bench then, yeah, you have a problem.

DirtySox
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM

We must have different definitions of very well.

Noneck
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
And yes, Lillibridge can at least run. If you need a guy to play 140 games for you, obviously Rowand would likely put up better numbers than Lillibridge, but when you're building a bench, you need guys who have skills that mesh into your overall team's structure. Lillibridge may not be able to hit and may be just an OK defender, but he's the only source of speed on the Sox bench.

A bench skill that should be addressed is the ability to play a decent CF. Currently the Sox bench has no one that can.

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2011, 03:05 PM
A bench skill that should be addressed is the ability to play a decent CF. Currently the Sox bench has no one that can.

I agree, Lillibridge is adequate at best in the field, but there is no real fourth outfielder on this team.

eriqjaffe
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree, Lillibridge is adequate at best in the field, but there is no real fourth outfielder on this team.Not the first time in recent memory that the Sox have done this. Remember when the backup outfielders were Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak? Sure, you do.

WhiteSox5187
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Not the first time in recent memory that the Sox have done this. Remember when the backup outfielders were Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackowiak? Sure, you do.

Mackowiak had no business being in the OF but Kenny got him presumably to back up Anderson and Ozuna was not THAT bad as a corner outfielder as I recall. The problem right now with the Sox is that we have no one who can play CF off of the bench.

eriqjaffe
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Mackowiak had no business being in the OF but Kenny got him presumably to back up Anderson and Ozuna was not THAT bad as a corner outfielder as I recall. The problem right now with the Sox is that we have no one who can play CF off of the bench.True. I always felt bad for Mackowiak in '06, he was put in a position he simply couldn't hope to excel at. I often wondered why Ozzie didn't move Pods to center and play Mackowiak in left, where he had plenty of experience.

With the way the team is build this year, in theory, Pierre could always slide over to CF once in a while and then, well, one of the backup infielders can play left.

Still, this team lacks a quality defensive reserve outfielder - we had that last year in Jones. In previous years we had players like Anderson and Wise, guys who couldn't really hit their way out of a paper bag, but were guys you could put in the outfield in a close game and not worry about them dropping fly balls.

Taliesinrk
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM

I just looked at the current 25-man roster, and you win. I agree with you completely. As far as those who are arguing that there's no one to back-up CF, there is... he's just not on the bench - it's juan pierre. It certainly isn't a great group of defensive bench players, but I guess their "other skills" are the reason they're sticking around. The only possible scenario Rowand could come (IMO) is if the Sox either got rid of Lillibridge (but then they'd be lacking the threat of speed off the bench, as double has said... something that's important), could trade Teahen (good luck), or went with only 11 pitchers once Peavy came back. The latter would still not make complete sense since I think both De Aza and Milledge would be nearly as good (although in different ways than Rowand... and each other for that matter).

Noneck
04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
As far as those who are arguing that there's no one to back-up CF, there is... he's just not on the bench - it's juan pierre.

Maybe you didnt watch the cubs when Pierre played CF, he is not a decent centerfielder.

Lamp81
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Maybe you didnt watch the cubs when Pierre played CF, he is not a decent centerfielder.

It's starting to appear that he's not a decent LF either. We need someone to spell him in the late innings for defense. Losses like this really suck!:angry:

ewokpelts
04-12-2011, 10:20 AM
True. I always felt bad for Mackowiak in '06, he was put in a position he simply couldn't hope to excel at. I often wondered why Ozzie didn't move Pods to center and play Mackowiak in left, where he had plenty of experience.

With the way the team is build this year, in theory, Pierre could always slide over to CF once in a while and then, well, one of the backup infielders can play left.

Still, this team lacks a quality defensive reserve outfielder - we had that last year in Jones. In previous years we had players like Anderson and Wise, guys who couldn't really hit their way out of a paper bag, but were guys you could put in the outfield in a close game and not worry about them dropping fly balls.mack-o-wack was a bench player that played too many games as a starter. you can thank the manager for that.

when that 06 team was roaring, with only two regular players hitting under .275, why worry about adding offense at the expense of defense?

mackowiak did have a better bat, but he cost more runs than he drove in. at least anderson had a glove.

by the way, uribe was HORRIBLE in the first half of 2006, defensively as well as offensively. but ozzie almost never benched him.

veeter
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Viciedo's ready to come back too, so no way on Rowand.

Noneck
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM

A spring training and couple weeks in the minors and he is ready to play all outfield positions. That is quite amazing.

Zisk77
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
If Mark Teahen is your best source of speed on the bench then, yeah, you have a problem.

I didn't say best source of speed. I said lilibridge isn't the ONLY source of speed on the bench. Teahen has surprising speed. While not a burner, he is faster than most here believe.

Taliesinrk
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM

I really don't think Viciedo factors into this at all... in fact, unless something dramatic happens, I think the Sox would really be short-sighted to bring Viciedo up at this point (the end of August, for example, is a different story). If he has the potential they think, he really should be playing everyday.

TDog
04-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I just looked at the current 25-man roster, and you win. I agree with you completely. As far as those who are arguing that there's no one to back-up CF, there is... he's just not on the bench - it's juan pierre. ...

Lillibridge is the backup centerfielder. That is one of the reasons he is on the 25-man roster. Center is regarded as his best outfield position and probably his best all-around position. Ramirez is an emergency centerfielder. It was one of the positions he played in Cuba and the first position he played in the majors.

Noneck
04-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Lillibridge is the backup centerfielder. That is one of the reasons he is on the 25-man roster. Center is regarded as his best outfield position and probably his best all-around position. Ramirez is an emergency centerfielder. It was one of the positions he played in Cuba and the first position he played in the majors.

Lillibridge played in 512 minor league games and only 21 as a center fielder.

TDog
04-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Lillibridge played in 512 minor league games and only 21 as a center fielder.

Nonetheless, he is considered a backup centerfielder.

Noneck
04-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Nonetheless, he is considered a backup centerfielder.

Unfortunately so.