PDA

View Full Version : My friends live in the same building as Edwin Jackson

doublem23
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
They didn't know until they saw him yesterday, he was just getting back and they were on their way out to meet Ms. Doub and I for drinks in Lincoln Park. So now I gotta get a Jackson jersey and just sit around their lobby.

manders_01
04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
They didn't know until they saw him yesterday, he was just getting back and they were on their way out to meet Ms. Doub and I for drinks in Lincoln Park. So now I gotta get a Jackson jersey and just sit around their lobby.

Did they get a chance to speak with him and tell him what an awesome job he did?

doublem23
04-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Did they get a chance to speak with him and tell him what an awesome job he did?

No, they're from Wisconsin, they actually only knew it was Edwin because the guard in their lobby told them about him. Apparently Edwin asked the guard if he wanted to go with him to the Bulls game last night, but alas, he was on duty.

soltrain21
04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
My brother used to live on the same floor as Matt Thornton.

manders_01
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
No, they're from Wisconsin, they actually only knew it was Edwin because the guard in their lobby told them about him. Apparently Edwin asked the guard if he wanted to go with him to the Bulls game last night, but alas, he was on duty.

If only YOU were standing in the lobby then! :D:

jdm2662
04-08-2011, 02:47 PM
When my brother was living in Milwaukee, he lived next to Prince Fielder. It was the tenth floor of a pretty cool apartment building. He said he was bigger in real life than he was on TV.

DumpJerry
04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
One of my officemates lived in the same condo building as Jose Canseco when he was with the Sox. He has nothing nice to say about Mr. Roids whatsoever.

SSrep
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Where's this at? I live in Lincoln Park and would like to keep my eyes open if it's in the area...

Harry Chappas
04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Since we're sharing stories, my wife is from Bloomfield Hills, MI. She was raised a Tigers fan but she's been converted to the Pale Hose. One day, she casually mentioned that her next-door-neighbor growing up was Chet Lemon and asked if I had heard of him. I love me some Chester Lemon!

Thankfully, she didn't live next to Ron LeFlore...

doublem23
04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Where's this at? I live in Lincoln Park and would like to keep my eyes open if it's in the area...

They live in the Loop, they were only meeting us in Lincoln Park for beers because that's a convenient 1/2-way point between them and us.

chisoxfan83
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Brian Anderson and Brandon Mccarthy lived above my sister in law for a year or year and a half. Said Brian was a cool guy but was thrilled when they moved because of the constant parties and noise. Not a surprise

goon
04-08-2011, 04:26 PM

I once drove next to Minnie Minoso on Lake Shore Drive. I swear to God.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I once drove next to Minnie Minoso on Lake Shore Drive. I swear to God.

I met Minnie Minoso once. Nice guy. Long-winded as hell, though.

SephClone89
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM

This is exactly what I'd say about him.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2011, 04:37 PM

I actually met him a few days ago at Sluggers of all places and had a nice chat with him, but I was trying to find an out at some point.

HomeFish
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Somebody on WSI posted a story about their friend meeting Michael Jordan in an elevator, and being so nervous that the only thing they could blurt out was "I've been running lately". I love that story and this reminded me of it.

My only Sox encounter has been Roberto Alomar at the airport.

chisoxfanatic
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
I once was shopping at Jewel, and, while I was going to the checkout lanes, in walks in Freddy Garcia. The man is enormous. He was with some chick...I'd imagine Ozzie's niece.

I also came home from visiting my boyfriend in Toronto over one Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago. While walking up the concourse aisle, not only 10 feet of me was Frank Thomas walking the other way (probably to catch a plane TO Toronto, since he had just signed with the Jays, for a press conference). He was huge! I was reading my Sox championship book, and I happened to have it out in my hand at the time. I just flashed the book at him and smiled.

FoulTerritory
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
When I was a wee lad, my mom's best friend lived next door to Marc Hill (Fisk's backup in the 80's for those of you who weren't a fan then). He was in the back yard playing with their dog (I think it was a great dane or mastiff), and I walked to the chainlink fence and asked him for an autograph. He told me to come buy the next time I visited his neighbor and he'd do it then. So a few weeks later we were back at mom's friends for a barby and I knocked on his front door and reminded him about the autograph he'd promised, and he presented me with a ball autographed by the every member of the White Sox. This was in 1983. I still have this ball. I keep it in a protective case, of course.

SCCWS
04-08-2011, 07:12 PM
. So now I gotta get a Jackson jersey and just sit around their lobby.

Now that would be creepy. Better check the stalking laws in Chicago

skobabe8
04-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Brian Anderson and Brandon Mccarthy lived above my sister in law for a year or year and a half. Said Brian was a cool guy but was thrilled when they moved because of the constant parties and noise. Not a surprise

The only Sox player I've ever run into in public. Shockingly, he was coming out of a bar.

cbone
04-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Carlos May bought a dog from my best friend when I was in grammar school. I think it was 71 or 72, so seeing him on your block when you're a kid was pretty cool. He shook all our hands.

southwstchi4life
04-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I worked with Kenny Williams son at Pizza Hut in Naperville in 2001. Not the nicest kid I've ever met.

stacksedwards
04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I used to smoke pot with a guy named Johnny Hopkins

WagMan
04-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Ran into Gavin Floyd last year in the Minneapolis airport when the team was returning from the All-Star break. We had just deplaned and he took a seat while waiting for his wife. I confirmed with my wife that it was him, approached him and said "Excuse me, Gavin?" just making sure. He gets up and responds "Hi, I'm Gavin." Anyway, it was totally cool, if not a little awkward.

He still gets major credit for wishing me a happy Father's Day after signing autographs for my kids a couple years ago after a bullpen session before a game.

GoGoCrede
04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Ran into Gavin Floyd last year in the Minneapolis airport when the team was returning from the All-Star break. We had just deplaned and he took a seat while waiting for his wife. I confirmed with my wife that it was him, approached him and said "Excuse me, Gavin?" just making sure. He gets up and responds "Hi, I'm Gavin." Anyway, it was totally cool, if not a little awkward.

He still gets major credit for wishing me a happy Father's Day after signing autographs for my kids a couple years ago after a bullpen session before a game.

So jealous of this one! Glad to hear he was so nice.

twentywontowin
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I had high school classes with Dwyane Wade if that counts for anything.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Since we are all sharing stories, my brother-in-laws parents once had a condo on the lakefront in the same building as Michael Jordan. He threw a party one time too, inviting the whole building. Unfortunately they weren't there that weekend, and they lost their chance to see him.

Falstaff
04-09-2011, 03:10 AM
I once bumped into no other than Merle Haggard at the hardware store.
He, like every other guy, was drawn to parking lot sale with tent. We chatted about an enormous open end wrench, but found no reason to buy it. Should have bought it for him to autograph!

hula
04-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I talked with Edwin last week at the exhibition game in Winston-Salem, NC. He couldn't be nicer and more available to the fans. I took a picture of him that I posted in the photo section here. He was just hanging out watching Chris Sales warm up with Coop standing nearby. When I asked Edwin if I could take a picture and he said sure! I was a little surprised at how easy it was and blew my chance to just stand and chat with him, but he did sign a mini mit I brought with me. Then several fans came over for autographs and he was very chatting with them.

When it was his turn to warm up Coop was giving him a hard time and said, "Whatta you got on there?! You can't warm up in a hoodie!" Edwin looked a little impish, like he just got called on something and kind a grinned and said, I do this all the time. Coop just kinda shrugged and waved him off.

Sale on the other hand was unwilling to engage with the fans. He was very serious and when he was done warming up even though people were calling to him he just went into the outfield to catch some fly balls as batting practice was going on. When Edwin was done with his warm up he went into the outfield too. He's really playful and was joking around with the other players as he was trying to catch fly balls with his mit behind his back. I really like what I saw - nice guy!! :bandance:

mzh
04-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Several years ago (2006 I think), I was with family visiting relatives in Minnesota, and coincided it with a weekend when the Sox were up there. By chance, I ended up staying in the same hotel as the team! Ran into a lot of players at the bar before they kicked us out, but by far the best story is when the next morning, I got into an elevator to go have breakfast, and wound up standing next to Jim Thome, preparing to go to the ballpark!

Mots09
04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Met Minnie at Sluggers in 06. He let me check out his world series ring. Also had the opportunity to meet Carlos May at Jimbos before 2005 al ds game 2 against Boston.

Soxfest 04 had a great time partying at atrium bar with a few guys. Shared a dip of skoal with Willie Harris. Got Joe Crede to sign a ball for my future wife that says 'you're hot' Joe Crede. Aaron Rowand and our group took a few shots :gulp:

WinningUgly!
04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I saw a blimp, once.

KMcMahon817
04-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I met Eric Hinske at a Potbelly's in Milwaukee like four days ago. Totally not that cool.

I also met Milton Bradley at a Jamba Juice in Chicago when he was with the Rangers. He was all decked out in these Louis Vitton shoes and backpack. I shook his hand and told him good luck tonight, obviously not meaning it. He went 0-4 with 3 K's that night. I was pretty convinced I jinxed him. Surprising though, he was a pretty nice dude.

Have had several encounters with Twins players. Also not cool at all. :cool: Oh and Randy Moss was my neighbor for like 6 years. Big douche.

TaylorStSox
04-10-2011, 03:58 PM
I ran into Ozzie at Dominick's on Halsted and Madison. He asked about the team Cuba hat I was wearing. I told him that I have 3 really good reasons for wearing the hat and possibly on a 4th on the way.

I delivered a package to Hawk once at his apartment on the East side.

I almost ran over KW while he was jogging outside of 232 E. Ohio. He looked pissed at first, then smiled when he saw my hat.

BainesHOF
04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I delivered a package to Hawk once at his apartment on the East side.

Where is this East side you speak of?

Edwin was cool at Soxfest. He showed up in a room where another player was signing autographs. He just stood off to the side, joked around and signed for whoever asked him. He was wearing a lot of bling.

Ran into Ron Kittle once at Woodfield Mall. The weird thing was it was while I was waiting for a Wise signing after his Perfect Catch. Nobody recognized Kittle except me.

stockonline2
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Last summer my stepdad entered me in the Lowe's "Win a Lunch With Jake Peavy" contest. He just wanted the $1000 gift card. Well, I won.

I was able to bring a guest, so I brought my sister along. She was so nervous which I found hilarious. Peavy is an extremely down to earth and friendly dude. I timidly asked him if I could get a few autographs for my friends back home and he enthusiastically told me to dump everything I had on the table and went through it all.

A memorable moment was when ESPN announced Strasburg's injury during lunch. Peavy was extrememly bummed. He said that he saw Strasburg pitch in high school and that he has the nastiest stuff he's ever seen... including the majors. Oh yeah, and he left his Sox tickets for me and my sister at Will Call for the Yankees game. He definitely didn't have to do that!

ewokpelts
04-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I actually met him a few days ago at Sluggers of all places and had a nice chat with him, but I was trying to find an out at some point.I've been told he has a stake in sluggers

stevemcstud
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Two Stories:

First Sox Fest, year before last. Wife and I upgraded rooms on the off chance we might be placed next to players, but that didn't happen. What did happen was when we went to the elevator and got in Jerry, Kenny, and Baines are in the elevator!!!

My jaw dropped, and the first thing out of my mouth is "Sign Jim Thome please" before I even got in. They all laughed and we had small talk down the elevator.

Second Story - Grabbing a drink at a bar after a Storm game in Lake Elsinore, CA (I live 5 min away in Murrieta) and a fight breaks out, dude get thrown outside and never see them again. Guy I'm drinking next to says that is my buddy. I end up offering him a ride home cause apparently his buddy just took off.

The guy was Jake Peavy I was taking home, before he was THE Jake Peavy though. When I went to Soxfest I told him about the story and he totally remembered it and even did my voicemail for me. Raddest guy.

skobabe8
04-11-2011, 09:14 PM

That was my question too.

SephClone89
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM

That was my question too.

http://recos-remarks.recojeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Chicago_lakeMichigan.jpg

doublem23
04-12-2011, 01:02 AM
http://recos-remarks.recojeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Chicago_lakeMichigan.jpg

That is not the East Side

chisoxfanatic
04-12-2011, 08:31 AM
The East Side of Chicago is where the city borders Whiting, Indiana (around Calumet Park/Hedgewich).

I wonder if he lived near Rowan Park. :wink:

OldRomanPizza
04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I haven't had any non-Sox fest interaction with any Sox players since my dad and I got Dave Gallagher's autograph outside the Old Comiskey after a game back in 89/90.

At Sox Fest back in 97 I was wearing a Denver Broncos Super Bowl champs hat and one of the middle relievers back at the time (cannot remember who) asked if I had been a Broncos fan all my life, which I had. My buddy next to me says "He's also a Cubs fan" which made Jerry Manuel (also at the table) laugh out loud.

Also at that same Sox fest, my dad approached Jerry Reinsdorf standing outside a room and got his autograph. Dad always had that sort of nerve...:tongue:

Walker29
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I waited on Buehrle and Garland at Home Run Inn in Darien back in 2004. The summer before my Senior Year in HS in 1995 I ruptured my spleen.

I was in the hospital for a week and my roommate was 50 year old guy who had had some sort of cardiac operation, anyways baseball came up as conversation and he asked me if I knew who Dan Pasqua was, well it turns out they were neighbors or buddies and low and behold the next day Dan Pasqua was in my hospital room....BIG DUDE!

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I think it's kind of neat that the guy is so low key he asked the doorman to go to the Bulls game with him.

soltrain21
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I think it's kind of neat that the guy is so low key he asked the doorman to go to the Bulls game with him.

Obviously everybody on the team hates him.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I ran into Minnie Minoso at the Jewel by me, ironically he lives right in the heart of Wrigleyville. Nice guy though, he gave me an autographed picture and then talked to me and my friend for about a half hour in the parking lot. I only understood about 1/4 of what he was saying, but still great guy. He said he's in Sluggers every Thursday night if anyone wants to meet him

primeaum
04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I went to Dan Plesac's ranch in NW Indiana when I was little and fed horses and stuff. My dad used to work with Dan's at Inland Steel for a long time. He hadn't seen Dan forever then Dan's dad passed away. My dad went to the funeral and spoke with Dan for a long time. Dan is a really great guy!

Thome_Fan
04-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Two Stories:

Second Story - Grabbing a drink at a bar after a Storm game in Lake Elsinore, CA (I live 5 min away in Murrieta) and a fight breaks out, dude get thrown outside and never see them again. Guy I'm drinking next to says that is my buddy. I end up offering him a ride home cause apparently his buddy just took off.

So like, we found this mouse in our beer bottle, and we heard that like when that happens you get free beer, eh?

TaylorStSox
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
That is not the East Side

Harbor drive which is about 500 east. In the courier world we refer to anything around streeterville as the east side. Anything past the prudential is "up the hill." Anything west of the river is the "west loop." Anything past the 1600's is "the zone." etc. I'd say anybody who spends 50 hours a week biking through the city might know something about it.

Moses_Scurry
04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I caddied for Scott Fletcher once. Nice enough guy ... not a very good golfer.

I also caddied for somebody in a foursome with John Paxson.

ILuvThatDuck
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I saw a blimp, once.

Turns out it was David Wells.
:redneck

pdimas
04-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I've run into/drank with a lot of athletes while living in the city. But one of the most bizarre was running into MJ and he was walking into a club. So he gets to the door and Charles Oakley shows up. He hugs him all the while telling people that it was his best friend. Then when they asked Michael where he wanted to be seated he responded, "Put me where the bitches are at." While not really all that shocked I was still a little taken aback. Boy did that sully my childhood memories.

One of my favorites was Kris Versteeg that guy was pretty funny and really friendly once you got to know him. He was just as feisty off the ice as he was on it.

hi im skot
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I've run into/drank with a lot of athletes while living in the city. But one of the most bizarre was running into MJ and he was walking into a club. So he gets to the door and Charles Oakley shows up. He hugs him all the while telling people that it was his best friend. Then when they asked Michael where he wanted to be seated he responded, "Put me where the bitches are at." While not really all that shocked I was still a little taken aback. Boy did that sully my childhood memories.

MJ is stealing my line.

SephClone89
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
MJ is stealing my line.

:rolling:

AnkleSox
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Ben Eager and Cam Barker used to regularly frequent a local bar that I always went to, and they definitely had some rowdy times. My favorite memory is seeing Eager at the end of the bar in nothing but his boxers pounding beers and acting as if it was completely normal.

DSpivack
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM

One of my favorites was Kris Versteeg that guy was pretty funny and really friendly once you got to know him. He was just as feisty off the ice as he was on it.

Good friend of mine lived in the same apartment building as Versteeg, said he seemed like a nice guy, but that's just based on awkward elevator conversations.