PDA

View Full Version : New food items/stuff you noticed around the Cell today

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Anything you noticed today? The main thing I noticed is that hot dogs are now $5.25, and that there is now a hysterical shot of Vizquel in the opening montage.

Anything new? Signs, food, etc?

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I didn't get a chance to sample any of the new food, but I had a lot of hot chocolate. Also, I am not impressed with the new organist so far. Her rendition of the seventh inning stretch left a lot to be desired.

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I didn't get a chance to sample any of the new food, but I had a lot of hot chocolate. Also, I am not impressed with the new organist so far. Her rendition of the seventh inning stretch left a lot to be desired.

I thought it was a bit less zippy than Nancy's rendition. It was definitely different. But I'm happy to wait and see if she changes it around a little. She had to have been nervous.

Also, the guy in front of me was complaining that the hot chocolate was more like lukewarm chocolate. Nice cups though.

Harry Potter
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Miller Lite/MGD bottles are up another $.25 this year to $7.25

hi im skot
04-07-2011, 06:09 PM

I hate to be a downer, but I didn't like any of the organ music today. I'm not drawing any conclusions or making judgments, but so far I'm not impressed.

I'm sure she'll find her footing as the season progresses.

dickallen15
04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
It looks like they are about to start some construction next to the Bacardi Bar. Its all fenced off and a construction piece is parked in there. Could it be the big gift shop that was presented last year?

bigsoxfan420
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Did anyone check out the modified "Beers of the World"? I read somewhere, probably here, that it was changed to all local brews? Wondering what they have, Two Bros, Three Floyds, Goose, Metropolitan...?

salty99
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes Brooks was on the radio before the game and mentioned the gift shop as the next project. The beers of the world name changed to something else. I noticed a new flautas/tamales stand, but maybe that was there last year. A lot of the signage over the food counters changed. I made a pass through the Bacardi at the Park and it was packed and looked very nice.

Harry Potter
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
It looks like they are about to start some construction next to the Bacardi Bar. Its all fenced off and a construction piece is parked in there. Could it be the big gift shop that was presented last year?

You would be correct, the gift shop will be built there.

I noticed the fenced in area covered a few rows of the new handicap parking spaces they set up in Lot B last season.

sachin
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
$7.25 for a 16 oz of miller lite? :o:

Thanks, but I'll smuggle in a 6-pack I can buy at Jewel for $6.99 in my baggy shorts....

Harry Potter
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes Brooks was on the radio before the game and mentioned the gift shop as the next project. The beers of the world name changed to something else. I noticed a new flautas/tamales stand, but maybe that was there last year. A lot of the signage over the food counters changed. I made a pass through the Bacardi at the Park and it was packed and looked very nice.

I walked by the beers of the world stand near LF and noticed many of the same beers as last year. However, there was a long line and wasn't able to get a real good look at the beer selection.

SoxThunder
04-07-2011, 07:58 PM
One nice upgrade is new credit card swipe machines at every concession stand (both the ones in the wall and the cart vendors).

You swipe your card yourself and they give you the receipt. You only have to sign your name if it's over $10.

SoxThunder
04-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Also, the new pizza at the park is DiGiorno's which was pretty good. The Connie's pizza last year had terrible crust (cardboard). However, the Connie's pizza from 2 years ago was better than both (fluffy crust).

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Did Brooks mention what was happening with the gift shop behind home plate once that store opens? Will it stay a souvenir shop, or will it become something else?
Also, the new pizza at the park is DiGiorno's which was pretty good. The Connie's pizza last year had terrible crust (cardboard). However, the Connie's pizza from 2 years ago was better than both (fluffy crust).
Were they only sold by the slice, or could you buy personal pizzas?

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
One nice upgrade is new credit card swipe machines at every concession stand (both the ones in the wall and the cart vendors).

You swipe your card yourself and they give you the receipt. You only have to sign your name if it's over $10.

Yes, this was awesome. I noticed it when I was in line for a hot dog. For one crazy moment though, I wondered if they'd always had these machines and I had missed them.

salty99
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Did Brooks mention what was happening with the gift shop behind home plate once that store opens? Will it stay a souvenir shop, or will it become something else?

Were they only sold by the slice, or could you buy personal pizzas?

I didn't hear him say anything about what will happen to the store behind home plate. It sounds like they were more concentrating on getting Bacardi's launched and running smoothly.

ewokpelts
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM

You swipe your card yourself and they give you the receipt. You only have to sign your name if it's over $10.push carts were still cash only. oh, and the new registers were VERY buggy.

ewokpelts
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Cheese curds!

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I did notice the new Irish concession stand in the Fan Deck area. A lot of my same vendors are still there: John for scorecards, Evelyn for hot dogs, and Arturo for Elotes (Corn off the Cob).

ramblinsoxfan11
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure if these were new or not but the concessions near 112 were selling nacho salad out of a plastic white sox helmet. I'm sure it was at least $10, but it looked delicious and you got to keep the white sox helmet when you were done :D:

Dub25
04-07-2011, 10:21 PM

Pretty much goes up .25 every year. I expected it.

Dub25
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I noticed the cheese curds as well and wondered if Culver's was coming soon.

Also noticed a Blue Moon stand on the OF concourse.

Brian26
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Cheese curds!

Ok, I thought those were new also, but one of the SportsService people claimed that they were there last year also.

However, based on how unprepared the concessions stands seemed today), I take that with a grain of salt.

Brian26
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM

A gallon of gas seems to go up $0.25 every week. I wonder which one will hit $8.00 first.

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok, I thought those were new also, but one of the SportsService people claimed that they were there last year also.

However, based on how unprepared the concessions stands seemed today), I take that with a grain of salt.

Ooh, what happened? I only went to the hot dog stand and it was mobbed, but that's par for the course.

I'd also like to say that I love this year's souvenir cups!

Dub25
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Agreed. I asked what Irish Nachos were and they had to ask 3 people before I got an answer. And this was 3 innings into the game. Was I the first to order them?

DumpJerry
04-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Also noticed a Blue Moon stand on the OF concourse.
The Blue Moon stand was there last year, but I think it was not at all 81 games.

I noticed the pizza slices were huge.

The main new thing I noticed today was reasonably well executed baseball by the White Sox and a great job by Edwin Jackson.:D:

Brian26
04-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Ooh, what happened? I only went to the hot dog stand and it was mobbed, but that's par for the course.

Opening Day is always rough because you can see they have new people working behind the counter, so I tend to be patient and understanding.

I am more disappointed with the managers & supervisors who clearly have not trained these people enough. It gets uncomfortable pretty quickly when the person behind the counter can't operate the register.

Dub25
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
The Blue Moon stand was there last year, but I think it was not at all 81 games.

I noticed the pizza slices were huge.

The main new thing I noticed today was reasonably well executed baseball by the White Sox and a great job by Edwin Jackson.:D:

Oh, ok. I don't drink Blue Moon so I'm sure I missed it last year. Funny that I noticed it right away this year... must have been the Dogfish Head in the parking lot. :gulp:

fox23
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Cheese curds!

Waa??? Awesome!

WagMan
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure if these were new or not but the concessions near 112 were selling nacho salad out of a plastic white sox helmet. I'm sure it was at least $10, but it looked delicious and you got to keep the white sox helmet when you were done :D:

The Tex-Mex stand upgraded the already sweet nacho platter to a NACHO HELMET option! It's a full-sized catcher's helmet full of nacho awesomeness! The original nachos are available for $8.50, the nacho helmet was $11.50 and worth every penny!

Dub25
04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
The Tex-Mex stand upgraded the already sweet nacho platter to a NACHO HELMET option! It's a full-sized catcher's helmet full of nacho awesomeness! The original nachos are available for $8.50, the nacho helmet was $11.50 and worth every penny!

Did they move the stand from the OF? I was looking for it and all I found was some sort of frozen margarita stand that had overpriced quesadillas.

luckyboy
04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I attacked the Wow Bao stand like my life depended on it and there was never a wait! It was glorious.

Dub25
04-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I attacked the Wow Bao stand like my life depended on it and there was never a wait! It was glorious.

What does that one have?

luckyboy
04-07-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.wowbao.com

They are delicious steamed Asian buns filled with meat.

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 11:36 PM
What does that one have?

I think it's a dumpling-like product filled with meat and/or cheese, depending if you're vegetarian.

I am already sick of the tee-heeing I keep hearing when people announce to their friends that they're having 'hot Asian buns.'

Dub25
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I think it's a dumpling-like product filled with meat and/or cheese, depending if you're vegetarian.

I am already sick of the tee-heeing I keep hearing when people announce to their friends that they're having 'hot Asian buns.'

And Luckyboy's response doesn't help...

manders_01
04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Agreed. I asked what Irish Nachos were and they had to ask 3 people before I got an answer. And this was 3 innings into the game. Was I the first to order them?

You piqued my curiosity...what are they?

Dub25
04-08-2011, 12:00 AM
You piqued my curiosity...what are they?

Fries topped with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chives. Pretty good.

manders_01
04-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Fries topped with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chives. Pretty good.

I thought that might be what they were. There's an Irish bar out here that does them. HEAVENLY!!! :drool:

GoGoCrede
04-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I thought that might be what they were. There's an Irish bar out here that does them. HEAVENLY!!! :drool:

Should we even try to find out the calorie content of those? :tongue:

manders_01
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Should we even try to find out the calorie content of those? :tongue:

Oh good Lord no! :D: While I wouldn't veer away from them (Monster Nachos at Coors Field are a regular for me :redface:), the guilt would be overwhelming if I knew what it was.

GoGoCrede
04-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh good Lord no! :D: While I wouldn't veer away from them (Monster Nachos at Coors Field are a regular for me :redface:), the guilt would be overwhelming if I knew what it was.

It's probably for the best. I wonder if they sell salads at the park? :tongue: Imagine the heckling you'd get for ordering one.

KenBerryGrab
04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
The "Double Play" 2-for-1 on hot dogs for the first hour after gates open is no more. Dang!

LongLiveFisk
04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
It's probably for the best. I wonder if they sell salads at the park? :tongue: Imagine the heckling you'd get for ordering one.

They wouldn't be low-calorie anyway. I've eaten a taco salad from there and I'm sure it was far from healthy.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Get. The. ****. Out.

:o:

God, they're going to need a wheelbarrow to get me to the Green Line Saturday night.

Marqhead
04-08-2011, 09:53 AM

This is terrific news, the best stand in the park gets better!

TheOldRoman
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
The Tex-Mex stand upgraded the already sweet nacho platter to a NACHO HELMET option!Holy crap.

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM

I saw two little kids eating these yesterday. They looked absolutely amazing. I was disappointed that I didn't go buy one. Now I know for next time!

WhiffleBall
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
That nacho helmet is huge. The funny thing is that a similiar helmet is like $10 in the gift show so for a couple of bucks more you get it full of nachos!

Saw the tamale cart. They definitely are not tomtom tamales. They also had flautas.

I did not see the cheesesteak stand but someone I was with did and said that they looked good.

Is the cuban sandwich cart new? I don't remember seeing it last year. It was around sections 148 or 149.

The bao's were 2 for $6.

In addition to the Blue Moon stand I also saw a New Amsterdam beer stand. Even though they changed the names of the beers of the world stands they still seem to be selling pretty much all the same types of beers with maybe a few more types added. Long lines at both stands. I thought I saw a vodka stand but that may have been there in the past.

The pizza did not look very good but I will reserve final judgement until I actually try a piece.

skobabe8
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Anyone try the pizza in the BPSB?

I heard it is different.

palehosepub
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
This is a little off topic but I have gone to every opener since 1984 and you learn to expects drunks, bad behavior etc but I saw two things I that I had never seen before. I was waiting in along line for the mens room and a drunk "lost his bladder" in the concourse line and peed all over the back of some guys legs.... not a good scene....

The second time I went to the mens room two guys went to the urinals side by side and dropped their pants all the way to the floor. I guess they thought it would be funny but people in the mens room actually got pissed off and started shouting at them .. one of the pants doppers said they did it because "it was on there bucket list"...

strange scenes at the ballpark, there's always something new... other than that it was a cold but enjoyable game

manders_01
04-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Coors Field has a salad cart and I always see people in line for it. They look good too.

They wouldn't be low-calorie anyway. I've eaten a taco salad from there and I'm sure it was far from healthy.

As long as you don't get a taco salad in the fried shell and know what the dressing is, they can be low-cal. I'm guessing a ballpark taco salad would be on the high side though. And I don't know that I'd have enough balls to hold up a line customizing it to work. :D:

That nacho helmet is huge. The funny thing is that a similiar helmet is like $10 in the gift show so for a couple of bucks more you get it full of nachos!

Saw the tamale cart. They definitely are not tomtom tamales. They also had flautas.

I did not see the cheesesteak stand but someone I was with did and said that they looked good.

Is the cuban sandwich cart new? I don't remember seeing it last year. It was around sections 148 or 149.

The bao's were 2 for $6.

In addition to the Blue Moon stand I also saw a New Amsterdam beer stand. Even though they changed the names of the beers of the world stands they still seem to be selling pretty much all the same types of beers with maybe a few more types added. Long lines at both stands. I thought I saw a vodka stand but that may have been there in the past.

The pizza did not look very good but I will reserve final judgement until I actually try a piece.

One of my favorites. I will definitely have to make sure the next time I'm in town it's for a full series because I will have lots of food to try! :redneck

WhiffleBall
04-08-2011, 01:03 PM
This is a little off topic but I have gone to every opener since 1984 and you learn to expects drunks, bad behavior etc but I saw two things I that I had never seen before. I was waiting in along line for the mens room and a drunk "lost his bladder" in the concourse line and peed all over the back of some guys legs.... not a good scene....

The second time I went to the mens room two guys went to the urinals side by side and dropped their pants all the way to the floor. I guess they thought it would be funny but people in the mens room actually got pissed off and started shouting at them .. one of the pants doppers said they did it because "it was on there bucket list"...

strange scenes at the ballpark, there's always something new... other than that it was a cold but enjoyable game

We had four twentysomething girls sitting next to us who were acting like the jersey shore cameras were filming them. They were stealing beer, exposing themselves (not in a good way), passing around a flask AND a fifth of jager, looking for a fight, and one of them had a cigar sticking out of her cleavage. It was actually kind of funny at first, then it was distracting, but in the end it was just ridiculously obnoxious. An usher did come down to talk to them but left once he checked their tickets.

DumpJerry
04-08-2011, 01:35 PM
It was there last year. I think it appeared late in the year.

jaguiar2
04-08-2011, 02:11 PM

While these machines are nice they ARE NOT compatible with the White Sox gift cards that are sold. I bought some in the off-season to use with my Ozzie Plan and was extremely pissed off when I found out I couldn't use them. I had to go to guest relations and exchange them for Comiskey Cash.

sox37
04-08-2011, 02:35 PM

New Sox Team Store being built there. Also...the DiGiorno's pizza(to replace Connie's) is basially not edible. They should change their slogan from: "It's not delivery, it's Digiorno's" TO It's not delivery, It's we stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds to serve you luke warm bad pizza". I'm just sayin...

Also, would it kill the Sox or ISFA to put some temporary porta-johns outside the ramps for some of the bigger crowds during the year. I think they have done this before. It would make sense for them from a money standpoint. Who is going to drink another beer when you have to wait in line for 2 innings!!

I enjoyed opening day though. It was good to be home.:D:

sox37
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
We had four twentysomething girls sitting next to us who were acting like the jersey shore cameras were filming them. They were stealing beer, exposing themselves (not in a good way), passing around a flask AND a fifth of jager, looking for a fight, and one of them had a cigar sticking out of her cleavage. It was actually kind of funny at first, then it was distracting, but in the end it was just ridiculously obnoxious. An usher did come down to talk to them but left once he checked their tickets.

You should have contacted security. I know for a fact that they WILL NOT put up with that at all. They would have been booted out of the park. The Sox won't lose money from good fans because of crap like that. Seen it many times.

yazz32
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Anyone try the pizza in the BPSB?

I heard it is different.

I tried it yesterday, definitely not the same. Different Crust (Thicker)
and whole pizza is smaller. I think they went with the DiGiorno too..

salty99
04-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Also, would it kill the Sox or ISFA to put some temporary porta-johns outside the ramps for some of the bigger crowds during the year. I think they have done this before. It would make sense for them from a money standpoint. Who is going to drink another beer when you have to wait in line for 2 innings!!

You must have missed them then because they were there in at least 2 spots.

DumpJerry
04-08-2011, 03:01 PM
The Riseabove stickers are on the backs of the seats to let you know how to handle that ****. I've used it and the miscreants don't know who it was who ratted them out. I you text where the *******s are sitting (Row and seats) and describe the behavior, they will get a visit from Security in a few minutes.

The number to text Riseabove is 244769 which is the general text number for the Sox. Start your message with "Riseabove," and it will be directed to Security.

DumpJerry
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
There were six or so on the ramp for Gate 2 at the 100 level.

skobabe8
04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

I saw a bunch of portable bathrooms on the ramps at gate 2.

Our waitress said it used to be Bertucci Bros. and now it is not. She said it was not DiGiorno.

Alexei4president
04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
does anybody know if that fajita burrito thing is back in the outfield...i sincerely missed that last season

PatK
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I saw some picture of Cheeto Mac and Cheese that looked awesome

skobabe8
04-08-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm listening...

Harry Potter
04-08-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm listening...

A co-worker mentioned seeing this on the news, but I could not locate said dish yesterday.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 03:48 PM
A co-worker mentioned seeing this on the news, but I could not locate said dish yesterday.

Sounds like they're only available in the stadium club... ****

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4679599-418/game-day-experience-gets-better-for-sox-fans.html

Red Barchetta
04-08-2011, 03:49 PM

With all the great pizza places in Chicago, it's too bad the SOX can't get a little better local talent in the park than DiGiorno.

I've senses a slow drop to mediocrity in ballpark food over the past 10 years. I remember back when they first opened Comiskey II the food was excellent.

I'm still sad that Best Kocher is no longer there. Loved them with onions!

skobabe8
04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
sounds like they're only available in the stadium club... ****

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4679599-418/game-day-experience-gets-better-for-sox-fans.html

damn elitists!!

TomBradley72
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
With all the great pizza places in Chicago, it's too bad the SOX can't get a little better local talent in the park than DiGiorno.

I've senses a slow drop to mediocrity in ballpark food over the past 10 years. I remember back when they first opened Comiskey II the food was excellent.

I'm still sad that Best Kocher is no longer there. Loved them with onions!

Yep- used to be among the best in MLB- now? Most of the newer ballparks I've been to beat The Cell by a big margin- not even close.

downstairs
04-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Wow... the flask should have gotten them kicked out. The other stuff I could see a "one warning" situation.

downstairs
04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Yep- used to be among the best in MLB- now? Most of the newer ballparks I've been to beat The Cell by a big margin- not even close.

True. In Philly, there's a ton of local restaurants who have their own set-ups. The food was awesome (and free! I know one of the owners of a place).

doogiec
04-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know what stand actually sells the Cheesesteak sandwiches? Went hunting for one on OD and couldn't find it. I asked the customer service stand behind home on Friday night and they didn't know.

The nacho helmet is awesome BTW.

hula
04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
The Riseabove stickers are on the backs of the seats to let you know how to handle that ****. I've used it and the miscreants don't know who it was who ratted them out. I you text where the *******s are sitting (Row and seats) and describe the behavior, they will get a visit from Security in a few minutes.

The number to text Riseabove is 244769 which is the general text number for the Sox. Start your message with "Riseabove," and it will be directed to Security.

Thanks for that tip!! Is this something new cos a few years ago it seemed security didn't do much even when fights broke out upstairs.

Harry Potter
04-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know what stand actually sells the Cheesesteak sandwiches? Went hunting for one on OD and couldn't find it. I asked the customer service stand behind home on Friday night and they didn't know.

The nacho helmet is awesome BTW.

I believe it was around Section 109-113

brucefan34
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
OK...heard rumors but need a pic of this thing apparently available around sec. 112...PLEASE!!!

chisoxfan83
04-09-2011, 11:47 AM
went to the opener but didnt notice, is the coors light cart still around by home plate or anyone else see coors offered anywhere in the park?

palehosepub
04-09-2011, 11:53 AM
went to the opener but didnt notice, is the coors light cart still around by home plate or anyone else see coors offered anywhere in the park?

Did see the Coors light stand behind home plate, just toward the 1st base side like sec 129- 130

Hendu
04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
The nacho helmet was indeed awesome! Also have the Leinenkugel mix stands been there for a while and I had never noticed them before? I usually hit Beers of the World but went with some of the Leinenkugel mixes today. Not too shabby.

Marqhead
04-09-2011, 07:58 PM
OK...heard rumors but need a pic of this thing apparently available around sec. 112...PLEASE!!!

So. Many. Nachos.

My friend had the Cuban sandwich, said it was delicious.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM
I really wish these stands would start taking credit/debit cards. I seldom have cash on me and don't want to go to the ATM and pay a five dollar fee just to get a Polish.

roylestillman
04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I was out there today and noticed a new Gin stand. Well that's different.

Boondock Saint
04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I really wish these stands would start taking credit/debit cards. I seldom have cash on me and don't want to go to the ATM and pay a five dollar fee just to get a Polish.

You could always go to the bank before the game.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
You could always go to the bank before the game.

I'd be going out of my way to do that, seriously, if I am going to spend $25 at one stand I'd rather put it on my card either way.

Dsell93
04-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Be thankful you aren't a Yankee fan

doublem23
04-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Doub and the Nacho Helmet: A Life-Changing Experience

ewokpelts
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
New Sox Team Store being built there. Also...the DiGiorno's pizza(to replace Connie's) is basially not edible. They should change their slogan from: "It's not delivery, it's Digiorno's" TO It's not delivery, It's we stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds to serve you luke warm bad pizza". I'm just sayin...

I enjoyed opening day though. It was good to be home.:D:there were port-o-lets on the ramp at gate 2.

ewokpelts
04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I really wish these stands would start taking credit/debit cards. I seldom have cash on me and don't want to go to the ATM and pay a five dollar fee just to get a Polish.they do now

LongLiveFisk
04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
So. Many. Nachos.

That. Looks. Awesome! :bandance:

russ99
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Had a slice of the DiGiorno pizza yesterday, pretty good.

Not Chicago pizza place quality, but certainly better than Connie's ballpark version.

doublem23
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
That. Looks. Awesome! :bandance:

They are. I know some people would probably prefer the liquid nacho cheese sauce, but the benefit to using shredded cheese is that it keeps the chips crunchy for a long time. I was eating that damn nacho helmet for about 3 innings Saturday and the chips never got soggy.

The Nacho Helmet is going to go on Brooks' epitaph. It's that good.

Bruizer
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
there were port-o-lets on the ramp at gate 2.

There were a bunch in Lot B by the handicapped parking on opening day also.

CPditka
04-11-2011, 11:37 AM
I also noticed that the interior food stands had Honkers and Shocktop in addition to MGD/ Miller Lite. Very nice for some selection.

I saw, but didnt eat the catcher nachos, they look epic.

dwitt76
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Is there a helmet nacho stand in the UD?

hi im skot
04-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Is there a helmet nacho stand in the UD?

There are two upstairs.

ElevenUp
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I had the Cuban sandwich yesterday and I thought it was pretty tasty. my wife had a bite and was not a fan. The nacho helmets look great and I'll probably get one next weekend. I saw a dude in the bathroom yesterday trying to clean 2 helmets in the bathroom sink which totally clogged it up... not cool.

DumpJerry
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Finally had the pizza yesterday. Much better than the "Connies" pizza they had been selling for years (I did not think I was eating a sweaty gym shoe which is how the "Connies" pizza tasted). It was good ballpark food, but not a destination pizza outside the park.

downstairs
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I had the Cuban sandwich yesterday and I thought it was pretty tasty. my wife had a bite and was not a fan. The nacho helmets look great and I'll probably get one next weekend. I saw a dude in the bathroom yesterday trying to clean 2 helmets in the bathroom sink which totally clogged it up... not cool.

Yeah, I was thinking about that... if you want to keep the thing, what do you do? I suppose one should plan ahead and bring some plastic bags or whatever.

downstairs
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Finally had the pizza yesterday. Much better than the "Connies" pizza they had been selling for years (I did not think I was eating a sweaty gym shoe which is how the "Connies" pizza tasted). It was good ballpark food, but not a destination pizza outside the park.

Pizza at the Cel has always sucked. Especally considering that Chicago is a pizza town. They really ought to have one of the better pizza joints serving in their own stand... not microwaved junk.

Philly does this with their cheesesteaks... my GF's uncle is the manager. Its an extension of a real, well-respected place (forgot the name).

Harry Potter
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Philly does this with their cheesesteaks... my GF's uncle is the manager. Its an extension of a real, well-respected place (forgot the name).

Tony Luke's

Marqhead
04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that... if you want to keep the thing, what do you do? I suppose one should plan ahead and bring some plastic bags or whatever.

They put foil paper in the bottom of the helmet which for the most part does a good job of keeping all the toppings from getting all over the helmet. I had a little bit of sour cream and nachos cheese get outside the wrapper, but nothing a napkin couldn't take care of.

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2011, 03:19 PM
They are. I know some people would probably prefer the liquid nacho cheese sauce, but the benefit to using shredded cheese is that it keeps the chips crunchy for a long time. I was eating that damn nacho helmet for about 3 innings Saturday and the chips never got soggy.

The Nacho Helmet is going to go on Brooks' epitaph. It's that good.
What does one of these run? I'm extremely intrigued by these.

whtsox13
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM

The permanent auxillary stands now take credit cards. Hot Dog stand, Brat stand, Beer stand.

Alexei4president
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
i think the nacho helmet is 11.50 or somethin...defintely worth the few extra bucks cuz u get to sport the helmet for the rest of the game:cool:

Marqhead
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
What does one of these run? I'm extremely intrigued by these.

i think the nacho helmet is 11.50 or somethin...defintely worth the few extra bucks cuz u get to sport the helmet for the rest of the game:cool:

$8.50 for the regular nachos, $11.50 for the helmet, $1 extra for nacho cheese in a cup.

Jerko
04-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Napkin holder on the pizza stand in right-center still says "Connie's" :cool:

Bobby Thigpen
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM

$8.50 for the regular nachos, $11.50 for the helmet, $1 extra for nacho cheese in a cup.
Thanks guys. Me and the fam will definitely have to check these out when we make it up later this year for a game. Looks like a decent price for a big snack for us.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
So what would everone say is the best buy for about $5? I am going today and will want to buy something to eat but don't want to get something and end up saying "that wasn't worth it".

Do they still sell burritos there?

Jerko
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
So what would everone say is the best buy for about $5? I am going today and will want to buy something to eat but don't want to get something and end up saying "that wasn't worth it".

They have some mini chicken tacos or enchiladas in the stand just to the left field side of the fan deck. Last year they were about 5 bucks. You get all the toppings too; cheese, salsa, guac, etc.

Marqhead
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM

I haven't had them but I know a lot of people have vouched for the Wow Bao. I think they're 2 for $4/5.

kittle42
04-13-2011, 11:29 AM

A Subway footlong you can carry inside. :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2011, 11:33 AM
A Subway footlong you can carry inside. :D:
That's one of the things I love about Comiskey...You can bring in your own food as long as they can see what it is. It does cost a lot less. I've even prepared salads and veggie trays and brought them in tupperware containers. There aren't any other venues that I know of that allow you to bring in food from the outside, except if it's baby formula.

GoGoCrede
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
That nacho helmet is INTENSE. I've seen a couple of people order it. It's definitely able to serve three easily, or two if they're really hungry.

Marqhead
04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
That nacho helmet is INTENSE. I've seen a couple of people order it. It's definitely able to serve three easily, or two if they're really hungry.

Or one if they're me.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Or one if they're me.Absolutely. My first game of the year I plan on nacho-helmeting like a mofo.

kittle42
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Or one if they're me.

Absolutely. My first game of the year I plan on nacho-helmeting like a mofo.

Same here - two or three, my ass!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I underestimated the sheer size of that thing when I ordered it.

That was the first thing ever at the ballpark that filled me up.

house215
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Are there any new beer options this year?

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
That's one of the things I love about Comiskey...You can bring in your own food as long as they can see what it is. It does cost a lot less. I've even prepared salads and veggie trays and brought them in tupperware containers. There aren't any other venues that I know of that allow you to bring in food from the outside, except if it's baby formula.

Really? I thought you could only bring in food if it was something like a sandwich you prepared at home and other things like that in little plastic baggies. I didn't think you could bring food you bought from nearby restaurants.

If that's the case there are a couple of hot dog stands right on 35th I can stop at. :D:

Marqhead
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
I plan on nacho-helmeting like a mofo.

I think this is going to be the theme of my US Cellular visits this year.

TheOldRoman
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Really? I thought you could only bring in food if it was something like a sandwich you prepared at home and other things like that in little plastic baggies. I didn't think you could bring food you bought from nearby restaurants.

If that's the case there are a couple of hot dog stands right on 35th I can stop at. :D:She is correct. We have stopped at hot dog stands and Ferro's on 31st before and never had issues bringing it into the park. Also, on really hot days, we would normally freeze 5 or 6 water bottles overnight and bring them in a soft cooler (it has to be soft). Just let them melt during the game and drink up. For beverages you can only bring in water and it has to be unopened.

Cat Thief
04-13-2011, 12:20 PM
If that's the case there are a couple of hot dog stands right on 35th I can stop at. :D:

Good idea. I had a Vienna hot dog from the cart in the bleachers Mon night, it came with a nice hard bun.

$5.50 :angry:

Cat Thief
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Absolutely. My first game of the year I plan on nacho-helmeting like a mofo.

I loved it. The wife and I could barely finish it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the helmets from this year. :scratch:

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Good idea. I had a Vienna hot dog from the cart in the bleachers Mon night, it came with a nice hard bun.

That sucks. I know Johnny's (or Jonny's?) on 35th and Morgan has something like 3 hot dogs w/fries for $5-something? A pretty good deal.

Cat Thief
04-13-2011, 12:26 PM
That sucks. I know Johnny's (or Jonny's?) on 35th and Morgan has something like 3 hot dogs w/fries for $5-something? A pretty good deal.

Good there. Also this place, 34th and Halsted.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wBldGvDkiC0/TVrITsjERFI/AAAAAAAAABs/6u1mKeuDdIE/s320/2342377641_c0c3c6fe8d.jpg

SephClone89
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
35th Street Red Hots is the cat's pajamas. Period.

Cat Thief
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I was there like 3 years ago. I thought it sucked. Maybe it's time to give it another try.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2011, 12:37 PM
35th Street Red Hots is the cat's pajamas. Period.

Which one is that again? Is that the little place that's only like a block west of the park (north side of the street)?

SephClone89
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Which one is that again? Is that the little place that's only like a block west of the park (north side of the street)?

Yup. Little red shack right outside Lot G.

Gene & Jude style "Depression dog" with awesome fries for $3.25. It was $3, but it went up over the offseason...I feel like everything in the park went up a quarter as well.

Marqhead
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM

If you're getting a hot dog, you HAVE to get it from one of the grills. Not only is it cheaper (I think) but it's not the shriveled, tiny, steamed crap with no toppings.

The hot dogs from the grills are quite tasty.

knocko94
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM

I visited New Busch Stadium for a Cardinals game a couple weeks ago, and food and drinks were allowed in no problem.

If I was blessed with a little more forethought, I would bring stuff to ballgames all the time, everything is getting way too expensive.

Marqhead
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Yup. Little red shack right outside Lot G.

Gene & Jude style "Depression dog" with awesome fries for $3.25. It was $3, but it went up over the offseason...I feel like everything in the park went up a quarter as well.

I've never known about this place because I always enter the park from the east. I'll have to check it out -- love Gene and Jude's.

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Wrigley

ewokpelts
04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
That's one of the things I love about Comiskey...You can bring in your own food as long as they can see what it is. It does cost a lot less. I've even prepared salads and veggie trays and brought them in tupperware containers. There aren't any other venues that I know of that allow you to bring in food from the outside, except if it's baby formula.MLB facilites allow carry in food as well as bottled water.

kittle42
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
MLB facilites allow carry in food as well as bottled water.

Well, we've settled that debate!

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Wrigley
Ahhh, didn't know that...But, I don't care to go there, so that's why.

skobabe8
04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
If you're coming from the east, swing by Jimmy Johns or Miller Pizza Co. on 35th and State and throw it in a plastic baggie.

bridgeportcopper
04-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Johnny O's - YUCK! I worked midnights in that district for a while and there ain't many places open overnight, but I'd rather starve than eat at Johnny O's.

DSpivack
04-13-2011, 04:26 PM
One thing I've done several times on a nice summer day is get off the el a stop early at Cermak, grab some pork buns and other snacks at a bakery in Chinatown, and walk the mile or so down to the park.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't see one of my favorite dishes on the ballpark, a calzone. Has that been pulled?

roylestillman
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Put me down as another fan of the helmet nacho. It is a meal.

DumpJerry
04-13-2011, 07:12 PM
The Nacho helmet will enable Kenny to sign a Closer and Pujols. It is that popular.

DumpJerry
04-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't see one of my favorite dishes on the ballpark, a calzone. Has that been pulled?
Connie's is gone.

WhiteSox5187
04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Connie's is gone.

I know, but I thought that they might still have a calzone. Oh well.

DumpJerry
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I know, but I thought that they might still have a calzone. Oh well.
Blame George. He took the tip out of the jar.......

Vernam
04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks, all, for the tip on the Helmut Nachos, which we tried today for the first time. Best part is all the stares when you sit down with them.

Must admit I'm surprised no one pointed out that in Section 522 you can get the new Jockstrap Corndog.

Vernam

skobabe8
04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Must admit I'm surprised no one pointed out that in Section 522 you can get the new Jockstrap Corndog.

Vernam

I need an explanation.

doublem23
04-18-2011, 01:29 AM
The Nacho helmet will enable Kenny to sign a Closer and Pujols. It is that popular.

If that's what needs to be done, I'll do my part.

GoGoCrede
04-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks, all, for the tip on the Helmut Nachos, which we tried today for the first time. Best part is all the stares when you sit down with them.

Vernam

The...what?

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Vernam

Now why does that NOT sound appetizing to me? Hmmm....:scratch:

Vernam
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I need an explanation.Guess I should've used teal. Though I do like the thought of someone asking for it at the counter, I have to admit it was just a gag. Um, poor choice of words. . . :puking:

Vernam

rookie
07-08-2011, 08:39 PM

I thought by this point in the season everyone knew about the nacho helmet. Guess not. At Tuesday the entire 507 section was staring and asking me about them. I felt like a needed a megaphone so I could just tell everyone where to get them.

Marqhead
07-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought by this point in the season everyone knew about the nacho helmet. Guess not. At Tuesday the entire 507 section was staring and asking me about them. I felt like a needed a megaphone so I could just tell everyone where to get them.

If you don't get that helmet in the 1st inning, you're not getting one for a while. I had to settle for a Cuban sandwich after the 2nd because the line was 30 people deep.

Jerko
07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
What section do they sell those at (Nacho helmets)? Sorry if it was listed before.

Cat Thief
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
151 or 152? Somewhere close to there. Next to the Cuban stand

KenBerryGrab
07-09-2011, 09:53 AM
On the 500 level, the nacho helmets are around 548. Wife and I split our first one -- beef -- on Monday. Outstanding.