pythons007
04-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Just heard on the score. Bringing up another failed bum Cub reliever!?:scratch:

TheOldRoman
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, that didn't take long.

AzureJazzMan
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
What the hell happeded with Milledge? I thought he was getting on well with the team?

#1swisher
04-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Jeff Gray

@whitesox (http://twitter.com/whitesox)

manders_01
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Ouch! I have to say I'm a bit surprised. While I wasn't exactly pleased with his performance yesterday, it was only the 5th game and the 2nd he played. I figured he'd at least get a handful of chances to prove himself. But maybe Ozzie having the players on a short leash will be beneficial to the team.

pythons007
04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Probably with how the bullpen has been used in the first week. They have been abused, two different ways. Usage and getting hammered!!!

We might see Milledge later. Lillibridge can play some many positions it's not fair to Miledge.

You heard it first here: Last year was the year of the no hitter. This year is the year of the bullpen imposion!!!

Hitmen77
04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Wow. I would have thought they would have kept Milledge as a DH bat at least until Dunn returns.

Jeff Gray? Geez, we don't have much in the way of arm in our farm system, do we. With our starters struggling to make it to the 7th, I think we're going to be seeing a lot of Gray, Pena, Ohman :(:

soltrain21
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
And this is why you need a minor league system that is more than completely and utterly awful.

asindc
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
And this is why you need a minor league system that is more than completely and utterly awful.

No doubt true, but when the team with the highest team payroll in U.S. sports history trots out Boone Logan to protect leads late in games, that should be an indication that the pickings are slim no matter how strong your minor league system is.

JermaineDye05
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
They needed bullpen help and Lillibridge is out of options.

I think once Peavy is back, we'll see Lillibridge get DFA, and then possibly see Viciedo get called up again. Though his glove isn't any better than Milledge's.

Harry Potter
04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Gray, Pena, Ohman :(: Oh my

:bundy

SephClone89
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
No doubt true, but when the team with the highest team payroll in U.S. sports history trots out Boone Logan to protect leads late in games, that should be an indication that the pickings are slim no matter how strong your minor league system is.

Boone Logan had a pretty good year last summer.

soltrain21
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Oh my

http://www.advancedgraphics.com/store/pc/catalog/woz.jpg

Grey and Pena and Ohman OH MY.
Grey and Pena and Ohman OH MY.

asindc
04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Boone Logan had a pretty good year last summer.

Yes, and Cliff Politte had a great season for us in 2005. It happens with pitchers at times, what with pitching being the single biggest wild card in all of sports from a talent-relative-to-actual-performance perspective.

doublem23
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Brutal

It's looking like only one pitching staff in the Majors can stop the White Sox offensive juggernaut... Ours.

russ99
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I hope Milledge accepts the assignment, as was thought this spring.

He can still help us this year.

Kind of surprised Gray is the guy, I though Bruney and Infante looked better this spring.

sox1970
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
After the defensive mess ups, I knew he was a spring training fraud.

With the two 12-inning games in KC, this move does not surprise me at all. They needed another arm out there in the pen now.

JermaineDye05
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
After the defensive mess ups, I knew he was a spring training fraud.

With the two 12-inning games in KC, this move does not surprise me at all. They needed another arm out there in the pen now.

Spring Training fraud? What did you think we were getting? Throughout his career, Milledge has been a fourth OF with some pop and horrible defense. We saw the hitting aspect in ST, and certainly got glimpses of his defense on some of the horrendous routs he took.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Seriously? I know he had a bad play in the OF, but at least he can hit. Give the guy a chance. Lillibridge has a way better chance to pass through waivers than he does.

JermaineDye05
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Seriously? I know he had a bad play in the OF, but at least he can hit. Give the guy a chance. Lillibridge has a way better chance to pass through waivers than he does.

Milledge won't go on waivers (I believe). He'll either accept the assignment and go to Charlotte or he'll reject it and become a FA.

sox1970
04-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Spring Training fraud? What did you think we were getting? Throughout his career, Milledge has been a fourth OF with some pop and horrible defense. We saw the hitting aspect in ST, and certainly got glimpses of his defense on some of the horrendous routs he took.

Ok, whatever. He's bad, and they needed another arm in the bullpen. This was an obvious move today.

Whether he goes to to Charlotte, I don't care. He's not good.

ChiSoxGal85
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
They need the bullpen arm, especially after two extra innings games in a row. Lillibridge is out of options. Pretty straightforward to me.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure I had the same reaction as a lot of you when I heard this.

"Who the hell is Jeff Gray?"

I wouldn't have minded Bruney or Infante either; Bruney has some MLB experience, and Infante showed promise last year. But alas, we must go with another former Cubbie reliever...as Will Ohman has worked out SO WELL for us.

DirtySox
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
He isn't going to clear waivers. Pretty poor roster management by the Sox when they could have stashed him in AAA for depth at the start of the year.

gobears1987
04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
He isn't going to clear waivers. Pretty poor roster management by the Sox when they could have stashed him in AAA for depth at the start of the year.

Do we really care if we lose him on waivers? He sucks. If we need bench help later in the year we have two better options in Jordan Danks and Viciedo.

DirtySox
04-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Do we really care if we lose him on waivers? He sucks. If we need bench help later in the year we have two better options in Jordan Danks and Viciedo.

Milledge isn't a world beater, but he's still a useful depth piece. He should have been in Charlotte to start the year. And Jordan Danks blows. De Aza is a much better option.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Surprised they made this type of move so quickly.

Lip

BringHomeDaBacon
04-07-2011, 12:11 PM
career 1500 ABs: 33 HR, .269/.328/.395

I'm not at all convinced he would have hit well enough to compensate for horrible, horrible defense. I'm glad they weren't stubborn about this. Good move.

TomBradley72
04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
he isn't going to clear waivers. Pretty poor roster management by the sox when they could have stashed him in aaa for depth at the start of the year.

+1

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder if he did something in the clubhouse to piss people off.

sox1970
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I wonder if he did something in the clubhouse to piss people off.

I doubt it. I think it's as simple as they need a bullpen guy now, and Milledge was the best option based on contracts/options/talent.

He might go to Charlotte, and if he doesn't, no big loss.

Sargeant79
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I doubt it. I think it's as simple as they need a bullpen guy now, and Milledge was the best option based on contracts/options/talent.

He might go to Charlotte, and if he doesn't, no big loss.

This. And I don't believe he needs to clear waivers either. Lillibridge does. Given the immediate need for another reliever, it seems like a no brainer to me.

And for the folks talking about him being bad... If he was great, he would be starting on a major league team somewhere. We're talking about a bench outfielder who actually can still help the team if used properly. I, for one, hope he accepts his assignment to Charlotte.

KMcMahon817
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't like the move, but I am not going to bitch and moan. I think Lillibridge should have gotten the axe. Milledge has a better bat, and it isn't like Lillibridge is a defensive whiz.

Does anybody definitively know if Milledge can either simply accept the assignment or does he have to clear waivers? If he has to clear waivers, he likely won't, which in my mind makes this a bad move. If he can just accept the assignment, okay, no big deal..see you in a month or two, Lastings.

He is nothing special, no doubt, but he is certainly a decent bat off the bench.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
My understanding of DFA rules is that if he has five years service time, then the Sox now have ten days to decide what to do with him, outright release him, trade him, or put him on waivers to assign him to the minors. I think if they're going to put him on waivers, they have to do that within a week. I also think they can put him back on the forty-man during that ten days.

LITTLE NELL
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
As I pointed out in yesterdays post game thread, I for for one wish that Kotsay was still here and nothing else but our 4th outfielder and backup first baseman. Would be looking pretty good right now.

pythons007
04-07-2011, 01:26 PM
My understanding of DFA rules is that if he has five years service time, then the Sox now have ten days to decide what to do with him, outright release him, trade him, or put him on waivers to assign him to the minors. I think if they're going to put him on waivers, they have to do that within a week. I also think they can put him back on the forty-man during that ten days.

This option is what I've been hearing on the score this morning.

Dick Allen
04-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Two things:

One, Jeff Gray and Lillibridge blow chunks and don't belong anywhere near a major league diamond.

Two, I have a friend in DC who saw Milledge play OF many times and thought he was one of the worst he ever saw. Took horrible routes to the ball, which I guess we've had a chance to see for ourselves now.

russ99
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Two things:

One, Jeff Gray and Lillibridge blow chunks and don't belong anywhere near a major league diamond.

Two, I have a friend in DC who saw Milledge play OF many times and thought he was one of the worst he ever saw. Took horrible routes to the ball, which I guess we've had a chance to see for ourselves now.

Agree on Milledge, he's not know for his defensive prowess.

The other point: what big league team is so gifted that every player on the 25 man roster is completely solid? It's not 1961 anymore, the overall talent base is diluted.

Even the Yankees have marginal bench players and iffy 5th/6th bullpen arms. Is what the Sox have any different?

Domeshot17
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
As I pointed out in yesterdays post game thread, I for for one wish that Kotsay was still here and nothing else but our 4th outfielder and backup first baseman. Would be looking pretty good right now.

Good Lord, Why? Kotsay is terrible, one of the worst players in the major leagues at this point in his career.

Soxfest
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Wow did not even make it to the first homestand.

thomas35forever
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
That didn't take long at all. I thought he'd have a longer leash. I guess one bad play in the fifth game of the season is all it takes to know what you're going to get out of him.

eriqjaffe
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
As I pointed out in yesterdays post game thread, I for for one wish that Kotsay was still here and nothing else but our 4th outfielder and backup first baseman. Would be looking pretty good right now.Honestly, I'd rather have DeAza than Kotsay on the roster. Teahen can play first base in a pinch, and DeAza is a solid defensive outfielder - an in my opinion, being good with the glove is of paramount importance for a 5th outfielder. Anything you'd get form DeAza's bat would be gravy, but you'd have a quality defender you could put out there to spell somebody. Milledge was bad yesterday, but Teahen wasn't any better.

NDSox12
04-07-2011, 09:17 PM

I saw him play a lot here in DC too, and agree that he was a terrible defensive player. But I actually thought that was because they had him out of position in CF. I thought he could have been a serviceable LF/RF, but it appears I was wrong. That's too bad.

asindc
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I saw him play a lot here in DC too, and agree that he was a terrible defensive player. But I actually thought that was because they had him out of position in CF. I thought he could have been a serviceable LF/RF, but it appears I was wrong. That's too bad.

I saw him several times as well, and on top of taking bad routes, he often appeared lackadaisical. It seems that he never matured out of his bad habits. Too bad, because he does/did have the raw talent.

cards press box
04-08-2011, 12:57 AM
They needed bullpen help and Lillibridge is out of options.

I think once Peavy is back, we'll see Lillibridge get DFA, and then possibly see Viciedo get called up again. Though his glove isn't any better than Milledge's.

I don't think Lillibridge is going anywhere. He can play the infield and outfield and can steal some bases. When Peavy comes back, Jeff Gray probably goes to AAA and Phil Humber becomes the Sox' long man.

Mohoney
04-08-2011, 01:23 AM
PLEASE let Phil Humber pitch well in his starts, and let Tony Pena continue to suck to high heaven. That makes the roster decision that much easier when Peavy gets back.

It's too bad that Milledge ran into a suckfest bullpen and 2 extra inning games in KC. His bat is light years better than Lillibridge, and those 2 botched fly balls could happen to anybody.

Lastings Milledge has more talent and more upside to a baseball team than Will Ohman, Brent Lillibridge, Tony Pena, or Jeff Gray could ever dream to have in their lives.

Mohoney
04-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Mark Kotsay doesn't even belong in the Majors anymore. He's awful in every aspect. Brent Lillibridge, Lastings Milledge, and even Alejandro De Aza are all better baseball players than Mark Kotsay.

Kenny Williams did well to rid this roster of a collection of absolute crap, and Mark Kotsay is among that crap. Andruw Jones, Scott Linebrink, and Mark Kotsay are all horrible baseball players and needed to be purged.

Tragg
04-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Mark Kotsay doesn't even belong in the Majors anymore. He's awful in every aspect. Brent Lillibridge, Lastings Milledge, and even Alejandro De Aza are all better baseball players than Mark Kotsay

Indeed.

Roster question - aren't we going to need our 5th starter on Saturday? Is that Humber?

soxnut1018
04-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Indeed.

Roster question - aren't we going to need our 5th starter on Saturday? Is that Humber?

Yes.

KRS1
04-08-2011, 02:27 AM
It's a shame Ohman is making $2m, because the guy looks like he doesn't even belong in Charlotte's pen. At least Lastings has showed something since March.

ShooterMcGavin
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
From what I've heard about Milledge since Spring Training is that KW sat him down and told him there's a place on this team if he works hard and is a team player. So far Milledge has held up his end of the bargain. So to designate him for assignment is kind of a raw deal.

That said, Guillen needs bullpen help and Lillibridge is more valuable to the Sox than Milledge, so I understand the organization's move.

ChiSoxGirl
04-08-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't like the move, but I am not going to bitch and moan. I think Lillibridge should have gotten the axe. Milledge has a better bat, and it isn't like Lillibridge is a defensive whiz.

Does anybody definitively know if Milledge can either simply accept the assignment or does he have to clear waivers? If he has to clear waivers, he likely won't, which in my mind makes this a bad move. If he can just accept the assignment, okay, no big deal..see you in a month or two, Lastings.

He is nothing special, no doubt, but he is certainly a decent bat off the bench.

Unfortunately, I think Lillibridge does just enough to keep himself on the team. Just when you think he's sealed his fate by doing something like getting picked off second in Kansas City, he goes out and has a game like he did yesterday afternoon -- driving in a run in the 8th with a nice hit, and playing all of the fly balls hit to right well, especially considering the foggy conditions out there. Lillibridge isn't an experienced outfielder by any means and could've easily misplayed any one of the balls hit out to right, but he didn't. Like I said, he does just enough to stay on the team.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM

You gotta be able to play the OF to be a 4th OF.

SOXSINCE'70
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh my

More like "Oh,my God".

nug0hs
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
So, has he cleared waivers yet? It's been 24 hours, right?

doublem23
04-08-2011, 12:45 PM
So, has he cleared waivers yet? It's been 24 hours, right?

When you DFA a guy, you don't have to put him on waivers for 7 days, I believe.

Nelfox02
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Kenny Williams did well to rid this roster of a collection of absolute crap, and Mark Kotsay is among that crap. Andruw Jones, Scott Linebrink, and Mark Kotsay are all horrible baseball players and needed to be purged.

I thought Jones did a solid job coming off the bench for defense last year......had some pop.....but felt he did his job in the field when called upon.

KMcMahon817
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I thought Jones did a solid job coming off the bench for defense last year......had some pop.....but felt he did his job in the field when called upon.

Couldn't agree more. I actually think he is exactly what the SOX are missing.

sox37
04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Yes, and Cliff Politte had a great season for us in 2005. It happens with pitchers at times, what with pitching being the single biggest wild card in all of sports from a talent-relative-to-actual-performance perspective.

Like David Aardsma

getonbckthr
04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Couldn't agree more. I actually think he is exactly what the SOX are missing.

Mark Kotsay doesn't even belong in the Majors anymore. He's awful in every aspect. Brent Lillibridge, Lastings Milledge, and even Alejandro De Aza are all better baseball players than Mark Kotsay.

Jones isn't here because the Yankees are paying him 1.5 million making him out of our budget. Not as part of KW's "purging" as Mohoney said.

DrCrawdad
04-11-2011, 08:35 AM
What's the latest on Lastings Milledge? Has Lastings left the Sox organization as a free agent, or did he accept his demotion to AAA?

russ99
04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
What's the latest on Lastings Milledge? Has Lastings left the Sox organization as a free agent, or did he accept his demotion to AAA?

There's a 10 day window on DFA, so we won't hear until the 17th.

Here's the options:

1. Sox puts him back onto the 40 man roster before the 10 days are out (not sure if this is possible, since he was signed to a minor league contract, then brought up)
2. Sox trade him before the 10 days are out.
3. Milledge elects FA rather than go to Charlotte
4. Milledge accepts assignment to Charlotte.

soxfanreggie
04-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Here's the options:

1. Sox puts him back onto the 40 man roster before the 10 days are out (not sure if this is possible, since he was signed to a minor league contract, then brought up)
4. Milledge accepts assignment to Charlotte.

Hopefully he realizes that he has a great shot here at making the playoffs. I'm not sure what the demand would be for him elsewhere in the Majors, or else he would have signed a Majors deal with them.

Nellie_Fox
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Here's the options:

4. Milledge accepts assignment to Charlotte.It's my understanding that he'd have to clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors, even with his permission.

KMcMahon817
04-11-2011, 12:56 PM
It's my understanding that he'd have to clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors, even with his permission.

This. Pretty sure he has to clear waivers before being able to go to Charlotte.

Over By There
04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/934235221/Maria2_normal.jpgScott Merkin
Lastings Milledge cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte, according to the team

delben91
04-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Has Gray even gotten into a game yet?

asindc
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/934235221/Maria2_normal.jpgScott Merkin
Lastings Milledge cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte, according to the team

Though I am not a fan of his, I do think Milledge will provide some value this year. Glad to hear he accepted the assignment, though there might not have been another viable option for him.

Lip Man 1
04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm glad he took the assignment... used correctly he can be of help even if it's just until after September 1st when the rosters are expanded.

I don't think Gray has gotten into a game.

Lip

doublem23
04-13-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't think Gray has gotten into a game.

Lip

No our bullpen's already bad enough

RCWHITESOX
04-13-2011, 02:05 AM
No our bullpen's already bad enough

I think our bullpen will be just fine. The Sox have only played 11 games and are 7 & 4. Thornton,Sale, Santos, Crain, Ohman and Pena will all do the job. The Sox just need to find out who will fill the closer role and eveything else will fall in. Plus we have Kenny

doublem23
04-13-2011, 02:30 AM
Plus we have Kenny

I have faith in Kenny, too, but I'm not exactly sure how much he can tweak this roster with no money left in the bank and no prospects worth trading.

Gavin
04-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Gray was warming up last night, I want to say in the 7th inning.

KMcMahon817
04-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I have faith in Kenny, too, but I'm not exactly sure how much he can tweak this roster with no money left in the bank and no prospects worth trading.

Meh. Not necessarily true. I would venture a guess that Escobar could get the SOX at least a decent arm, if they wanted. And it appears the middle infield is blocked for quite a few years, so it is actually likely that KW will deal him.

Edit: Oh, and I am happy to hear about Lastings. I think he will be a useful piece of the bench in the not too distant future.