PDA

View Full Version : Do we know what color jersey the White Sox will wear today?

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2011, 09:38 AM
With today being Opening Day at our ballpark, the White Sox usually wear the white tops IIRC. However, doesn't the starting pitcher, in this case Edwin Jackson, determine whether the white or black tops are worn?

Red Barchetta
04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I think that they go with the "hot" winning jersey. For example, the trend so far in this young season...

They won opening day, game 1 in Cleveland wearing the Black Alternates
They continued to wear the Black Alternates in game 2 and won again
They continued to wear the Black Alternate in game 3 and lost

Due to the loss, they then switched to the Gray Road Jersey for game 4 in KC and lost again
Due to the loss, they then switched to the Black Alternates for game 5 in KC and won

Therefore, I predict they open with the Black Alternates today due to yesterday's win.

:gulp:

asindc
04-07-2011, 09:51 AM
From what I understand, the starting pitcher gets to choose the jersey. Last year, Mark Buehrle chose the alternative black jersey for Opening Day.

gobears1987
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
From what I understand, the starting pitcher gets to choose the jersey. Last year, Mark Buehrle chose the alternative black jersey for Opening Day.

He made one hell of a play in that game too.

The Immigrant
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
I hope it's the one without the diamond patch.

soxnut1018
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Buehrle always chooses the black jersey ever since he pitched the no-hitter in 07.

soxfanreggie
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Buehrle always chooses the black jersey ever since he pitched the no-hitter in 07.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing another one of those! :D:

manders_01
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
While I like all out jerseys, I think it would look really classic and classy to sport white pinstripes today.

doublem23
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Black alts, white pinstripes, can't go wrong with either.

Throw in the road grays, and we have better jersey combos than almost every team in the league.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I hope they wear the blacks just so I can read more posts about people complaining about them wearing the blacks too much.

asindc
04-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Yes, I know.

asindc
04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I hope they wear the blacks just so I can read more posts about people complaining bout them wearing the blacks too much.

... and if it comes to pass, you will get your wish.

all*star quentin
04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I think I've only seen Jackson wear the black alt. I'll text him that he would look so H.O.T in pinstripes :tongue:

Streets
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I hope they wear the blacks just so I can read more posts about people complaining about them wearing the blacks too much.

When they wear them 115 times in one season it gets a little ****ing old.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
When they wear them 115 times in one season it gets a little ****ing old.
I've never understood why anyone cares. As long as they're happy and they think they'll play better, what does it matter?

doublem23
04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I've never understood why anyone cares. As long as they're happy and they think they'll play better, what does it matter?

Hey, we agree. And it's not like the black alts are ugly, it'd be one thing if they were wearing jerseys that just sucked, like those '80s-style pullovers. The black alts are nice.

SephClone89
04-07-2011, 12:53 PM

...Because we don't like how they look.

delben91
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM

I'd rather they wear what they want and win.

soxnut1018
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I'd rather they wear what they want and win.

I don't think anyone's debating that.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think anyone's debating that.
Maybe not debating it, but certainly complaining about incessantly.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Hey, we agree.
:bandance::bandance:

sox1970
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM

If what uniform they use effects the outcome of the game, then we're in real trouble.

It's a matter of tradition of home whites and road grays. Some people like the look of the traditional uniforms --get over it.

It's like the diamond patch on the road uniform. Does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things? No, of course not. But some people prefer that they keep that part of the uniform.

I like the traditional uniforms, and wish they would limit the black jersey to once a week, and have the starting pitcher focus on their next start, not what uniform they're going to wear. But that's just me.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Why do people care about the patch on the sleeve? Or the color of the seats in the park? Aesthetics.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
If what uniform they use effects the outcome of the game, then we're in real trouble.

It's a matter of tradition of home whites and road grays. Some people like the look of the traditional uniforms --get over it.

It's like the diamond patch on the road uniform. Does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things? No, of course not. But some people prefer that they keep that part of the uniform.

I like the traditional uniforms, and wish they would limit the black jersey to once a week, and have the starting pitcher focus on their next start, not what uniform they're going to wear. But that's just me.
Yes, because that 10 secs they probably put into thinking about what jersey to where is I'm sure robbing them of a great performance.

I never said they play better in any jersey, but that they may think they play better. Call it good luck or just a little psychological edge, but if they believe in it and perform accordingly, I don't really care what they wear.

TheOldRoman
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd rather they wear what they want and win.And I'd rather they wear what I want and win. Not wearing black jerseys 75% of the time doesn't preclude them from winning, unless you think Buehrle would be so sad they couldn't wear the "kewl" black jerseys that he wouldn't be able to focus on the game.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Why do people care about the patch on the sleeve? Or the color of the seats in the park? Aesthetics.
I don't know. I've never got involved in those debates either. They're equally silly.

Streets
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM

This.

I honestly don't mind the black alternates when they're used as their name states, as alternates. Once a week, maybe twice is plenty. Still a 3rd jersey for MLB to sell and make money on.

Home pins/whites and road grey's are baseball tradition, some thing for stirrups. Some people "get it" as Uniwatch says and some people don't.

Brian26
04-07-2011, 01:28 PM
The sox are wearing their black jerseys today.

Red Barchetta
04-07-2011, 01:39 PM
This.

I honestly don't mind the black alternates when they're used as their name states, as alternates. Once a week, maybe twice is plenty. Still a 3rd jersey for MLB to sell and make money on.

Home pins/whites and road grey's are baseball tradition, some thing for stirrups. Some people "get it" as Uniwatch says and some people don't.

When it comes to the White SOX, the black jersey is not an alternate. It is THE franchise jersey and the SOX "Brand" that Brooks likes to reference. Out of 162 games last season, they wore it 115 times! That is not an "alternate jersey" in the true definition of the term. They only wore the white pinstripe jersey 23 times and the road gray jersey 24 times last season.

So far in 2011, they have worn the black jersey 5 of the 6 games played and I'm predicting they will wear them again today. (Edit - now 6 of 7 games)

What better way to market the brand "SOX" than wear a jersey that is consistent both home and away? Brooks already indicated it's his favorite jersey, so I think management has more pull as to what they wear than they like to admit.

I personally don't care, however I just find it interesting that the SOX wear their "alternate" jerseys so much more often than the rest of the league. At least last season.

I remember the first time I saw the black alternates during a Sunday game after they opened new Comiskey. I thought they were really cool looking, however back then I was still on my "New Black & Silver Uniform High".

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't know. I've never got involved in those debates either. They're equally silly.

And yet you're still posting about them too.

Whitesox029
04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Why are most people required to wear suits to work? Aesthetics.
Why do companies exist that sell fertilizer to make grass stay green? Aesthetics. Why do restaurants serve food with a sprig of parsley? Aesthetics. Why do people design things...ever? Aesthetics. People who have a sense of aesthetics (I approximate about 75% of the population) like when things look good. Obviously aesthetics do not factor into team performance, but to brush it off as if it's somehow illegitimate or stupid to have an opinion about it is sort of callous.

ZombieRob
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Why do companies exist that sell fertilizer to make grass stay green? Aesthetics. Why do restaurants serve food with a sprig of parsley? Aesthetics. Why do people design things...ever? Aesthetics. People who have a sense of aesthetics (I approximate about 75% of the population) like when things look good. Obviously aesthetics do not factor into team performance, but to brush it off as if it's somehow illegitimate or stupid to have an opinion about it is sort of callous.
What a great post. Totally spot on. :bandance:

Red Barchetta
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I think that they go with the "hot" winning jersey. For example, the trend so far in this young season...

They won opening day, game 1 in Cleveland wearing the Black Alternates
They continued to wear the Black Alternates in game 2 and won again
They continued to wear the Black Alternate in game 3 and lost

Due to the loss, they then switched to the Gray Road Jersey for game 4 in KC and lost again
Due to the loss, they then switched to the Black Alternates for game 5 in KC and won

Therefore, I predict they open with the Black Alternates today due to yesterday's win.

:gulp:

Based on the fact they have won 2 games in a row wearing the black jerseys, I think they will wear them again tomorrow. If so, that's 7 of 8 games in 2011. I don't think we will see the White pinstripe jersey until after they lose a game on this homestand.

Whitesox029
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Based on the fact they have won 2 games in a row wearing the black jerseys, I think they will wear them again tomorrow. If so, that's 7 of 8 games in 2011. I don't think we will see the White pinstripe jersey until after they lose a game on this homestand.
I guess that means I'm required to say that I hope we don't see the pinstripes at all. :D:

manders_01
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but maybe you could use the word "I" here instead of "we". Not everyone on this board agrees with you, myself being one of those people. Even if I'm the only person who doesn't agree, "we" doesn't apply. :smile:

SephClone89
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but maybe you could use the word "I" here instead of "we". Not everyone on this board agrees with you, myself being one of those people. Even if I'm the only person who doesn't agree, "we" doesn't apply. :smile:

While I understand your point...

I was using "we" to refer to the large contingent of us who do care about the jersey choice or the sleeve patch...which is who he was directing his question to.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Have an opinion all you want.

To consistently complain about the topic every time it brought up is a bit much though.

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
And yet you're still posting about them too.
Wow.

You got me.:rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow.

You got me.:rolleyes:

I find complaining about the lineups tiresome, but I don't begrudge others when they do it. Same thing applies here with the uniforms.

Whitesox029
04-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Have an opinion all you want.

To consistently complain about the topic every time it brought up is a bit much though.
I don't know, if you see a thread about this topic, and you're sick of hearing about it, then why would you click on it? That is why there are separate threads. The message board format offers the freedom to skip all the bull**** and only read or post on topics that interest you. For example, whenever I see a thread pop up about Oney Guillen or how bad Mark Teahen's defense is, I simply don't click on it, because I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. In spite of this, some people seem to like complaining about the fact that other people are complaining about something else too much. Frankly, I think it's a bit of an epidemic on this board. I'm just as tired of hearing variants on the phrase "why do you care so much about [topic X]" as those folks are of actually hearing about topic X itself. If you don't have a relevant opinion to express, then why post?

This bothers me just as much in actual conversation. When I'm having a debate with someone about anything, the very last thing I want to hear is a third person chiming in to tell me that what I'm debating about is trivial.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't know, if you see a thread about this topic, and you're sick of hearing about it, then why would you click on it? That is why there are separate threads. The message board format offers the freedom to skip all the bull**** and only read or post on topics that interest you. For example, whenever I see a thread pop up about Oney Guillen or how bad Mark Teahen's defense is, I simply don't click on it, because I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. In spite of this, some people seem to like complaining about the fact that other people are complaining about something else too much. Frankly, I think it's a bit of an epidemic on this board. I'm just as tired of hearing variants on the phrase "why do you care so much about [topic X]" as those folks are of actually hearing about topic X itself. If you don't have a relevant opinion to express, then why post?

This bothers me just as much in actual conversation. When I'm having a debate with someone about anything, the very last thing I want to hear is a third person chiming in to tell me that what I'm debating about is trivial.

I agree. Plus, I posted my "winning jersey" trend as an observation, not as a complaint. I personally don't care what they wear as long as they play well as I like all three jerseys. However, I've always been curious as to why they choose between the pins/black and greys/black while at home or on the road and always wondered why the black jersey (I no longer call it an alternate) is worn so often.

This reminds me of the off-season renovation threads that many of us discuss to pass the time. Same thing happened when people made the "who cares" posts about seat color, roof lines, outfield walls, etc. Obviously, the people discussing it care.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I find complaining about the lineups tiresome, but I don't begrudge others when they do it. Same thing applies here with the uniforms.

**!@& Kotsay! :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Why do companies exist that sell fertilizer to make grass stay green? Aesthetics. Why do restaurants serve food with a sprig of parsley? Aesthetics. Why do people design things...ever? Aesthetics. People who have a sense of aesthetics (I approximate about 75% of the population) like when things look good. Obviously aesthetics do not factor into team performance, but to brush it off as if it's somehow illegitimate or stupid to have an opinion about it is sort of callous.Was this directed at me? Because all I did was explain why people care about the things; because of the aesthetics. I wasn't brushing anything off. You read that in there and it wasn't there.

I didn't really care very much about the blue seats, but agree that the dark green looks a thousand times better. I liked the diamond sock patch better than the Sox logo on the sleeve, but not so much that it bothers me. But again, I was just answering the question of why some people care so much.