PDA

View Full Version : Yankmees get Weaver

Viva Magglio
07-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Just reported by BBTN. And here's a link already:

Weaver Trade (http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/wire/stories/0,1169,5497147_52,00.html)

capn12
07-06-2002, 12:43 AM
Man, how I long for an owner that actually has the stones to makes the right moves for Top Tier Pitchers, instead of going after marginal waiver wire "veteran presence". Maybe we need to start a petition for ANYONE else to buy the Sox.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by capn12
Man, how I long for an owner that actually has the stones to makes the right moves for Top Tier Pitchers, instead of going after marginal waiver wire "veteran presence". Maybe we need to start a petition for ANYONE else to buy the Sox.
a top tier pit.............. are you sure about that?

oak got hosed on that deal..............

RedPinStripes
07-06-2002, 12:49 AM
****!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

baggio202
07-06-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
****!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

basically they got jeff weaver for ted lilly....holy crap...ive just ab out had it with major league baseball...i remember the good old days when teams tried to dump players under bowie kuhn's reign and he would nix them for the good of the game

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 12:53 AM
We could still land Halladay??? Go optimism!

Viva Magglio
:KW
Gee, I didn't know this deal was going on. I guess this means we don't get Weaver.

Chisox_cali
Looks like next time we play the tigers they'll have.....

"PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAA"
:joebatters

capn12
07-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Um, yeah....I'm sure about that. Oakland did get hosed, but Jeff Weaver, to put up the numbers he has with THAT team, is a legit #2 or #3 even with the Yanks.

G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L BAA ERA
17 17 3 3 121.2 112 50 43 4 33 75 6 8 .243 3.18

That, with a 30-53 last place team, and a .256 hitting offense behind him.....yes, thats enough to say he's Top Tier. Oh, and he did manage to shutout Atlanta, IN Atlanta....were any of our pitchers able to do that?

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Well, at least if the players strike we won't have to see the Yanks win the series again.

Jjav829
07-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Piss on this sport. The Yankees go out and get whoever they want and we have to sit here and watch pieces of crap like Todd Ritchie. Lets see

Buehrle
Ritchie
Garland
Wright
Glover

or

Clemens
Mussina
Weaver
Wells
Pettite

Boy, tough decision. Those two rotations are really close.

Get a ****ING CAP!

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
:KW
Gee, I didn't know this deal was going on. I guess this means we don't get Weaver.

Tigers wanted Crede, Borchard and a pitching prospect from us. Wasn't going to happen, get over it.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 12:56 AM
Is it really true we couldn't match that? Crede & Malone wouldn't have done it? Or Crede & Malone & Harris? It'd be worth it. Good lord. Excuse me while I go hang myself.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 12:59 AM
What pisses me off most about this is that this move isn't about the Yankees mega financial resources we always hear about. This is just a case of a team going out and being proactive. There is nothing about this trade that any other contending team couldn't have pulled off.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Tigers wanted Crede, Borchard and a pitching prospect from us. Wasn't going to happen, get over it.
you beat me to this.......... how can they want soooo much from us and then get pena? still det still didn't get what they thought he was worth.

btw capn12, we debated this subject before and you are not going to convince me that he is in the same league with randy johnson or shilling(sp), at best he is a 3 or 4 starter...... nothing more.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:01 AM
But wait! THere's more! The A's also got two top Yankee prospects. Starting pitcher Jason Arnold and outfielder John Ford Griffin. Griffin was the Yanks #1 pick in the 2001 draft.

Jjav829
07-06-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What pisses me off most about this is that this move isn't about the Yankees mega financial resources we always hear about. This is just a case of a team going out and being proactive. There is nothing about this trade that any other contending team couldn't have pulled off.

Exactly. I mean we hear names like Dunn and Crede, Borchard, Malone being talked about for Weaver, and the Yankees give up Ted Lilly! The Tigers did get a prospect or 2. It was on BBTN. I had it down and didn't hear the names but I did hear DD saying they got atleast 1 prospect. If your refering the financial statement to what I said about a cap, I wasn't refering just to this. Everytime I hear the Yankmees sign or trade for someone I always say that.

Vsahajpal
07-06-2002, 01:03 AM
Actually, the Athletics also received two of the Yankees best prospects, OF John-Ford Griffin, and RHP Jason Arnold.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

you beat me to this.......... how can they want soooo much from us and then get pena? still det still didn't get what they thought he was worth.

btw capn12, we debated this subject before and you are not going to convince me that he is in the same league with randy johnson or shilling(sp), at best he is a 3 or 4 starter...... nothing more.

Weaver is a 3 or a 4? At the beginning of the season there was a strong contingent calling Todd Ritchie a number 2. Even before him bombing this year if Todd Ritchie's track record qualified him as a #2, Weaver's track record qualified him as a young Walter Johnson.

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 01:05 AM
Is it really true we couldn't match that? Crede & Malone wouldn't have done it? Or Crede & Malone & Harris? It'd be worth it. Good lord. Excuse me while I go hang myself.

I'm guessing they started off talks with Borchard and Williams hung up on them.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Actually, the Athletics also received two of the Yankees best prospects, OF John-Ford Griffin, and RHP Jason Arnold.

Beat you to it buddy. Just call me quick-draw.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:08 AM

I'm guessing they started off talks with Borchard and Williams hung up on them.

My guess is Dave Dombrowski was using words that were too big for Kenny to understand so he got scared and just said no to everything.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:09 AM

Weaver is a 3 or a 4? At the beginning of the season there was a strong contingent calling Todd Ritchie a number 2. Even before him bombing this year if Todd Ritchie's track record qualified him as a #2, Weaver's track record qualified him as a young Walter Johnson. i never said and willnot say that ritchie was a #2 quility.......... maybe a #3 pit............. as ref to a young walter johnson..... i don't put too much stock on who they are compared to.

ref to the prospects.......... then det got hosed, with oak coming out smelling like a rose.

btw have you ever seen walter johnson pit or are you using stats and what others are saying?

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 01:10 AM
My guess is Dave Dombrowski was using words that were too big for Kenny to understand so he got scared and just said no to everything.

People were pissed when they thought we'd trade Crede for Weaver. They'd be all over him if he traded Crede, Harris, and Malone.

Jjav829
07-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Ok so Detroit also got Franklin German and a prospect to be named...

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:14 AM
i never said and willnot say that ritchie was a #2 quility.......... maybe a #3 pit............. as ref to a young walter johnson..... i don't put too much stock on who they are compared to.

ref to the prospects.......... then det got hosed, with oak coming out smelling like a rose.

btw have you ever seen walter johnson pit or are you using stats and what others are saying?

It was just a little hyperbole to emphasize how much Ritchie sucks and the fact that Weaver is a good pitcher. Weaver is a quality #2, if you don't see it you're blidn my friend.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2002, 01:14 AM
You guys would have been foaming at the mouth if Kenny gave up Crede, Harris and Malone. You're just pissed because the Yankees got him. Without the Yankees offer to compare it to, you'd have gone nuts, and you'd have been right. The Yankees can afford to do this kind of thing because if it doesn't work out, they can just spend the money to make it right. The Sox can't, and never will be able to, no matter who the owner is.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:17 AM

It was just a little hyperbole to emphasize how much Ritchie sucks and the fact that Weaver is a good pitcher. Weaver is a quality #2, if you don't see it you're blidn my friend. i do wear glasses.......... :D:

btw from ba on the prospect.......... i wish the full disclosure was made on who was involve in the draft.

9. Franklyn German, rhp

Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-6. Wt.: 260. Signed: Dominican Republic, 1996. Signed by: Santiago Villalona.

Background: German, who’s not related to Esteban German, has gone from a slender teenager into a Lee Smith lookalike and throwalike. The A’s added him to the 40-man roster in November, anticipating he could go in the major league Rule 5 draft despite never having pitched above Class A. Considering how well he pitched in his native Dominican this winter–he didn’t allow a run and held opponents to a .075 average in his first 14 appearances–German would have been a likely pick.

Strengths: A power arm with huge potential, German hit 97 mph during the regular season and 99 in the Dominican. His velocity has increased each year since he signed in 1996. He uses both a splitter and a changeup to complement his heat.

Weaknesses: German’s biggest weaknesses are his command and maturity, neither of which is consistent. But he had made strides in both areas this winter thanks to working with Sacramento manager Bob Geren, the skipper of a rival Dominican club.

The Future: Oakland will send German to Double-A and see how he develops. Though Billy Koch and Chad Harville are ahead of him, German could provide another closing option in a couple of years.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You guys would have been foaming at the mouth if Kenny gave up Crede, Harris and Malone. You're just pissed because the Yankees got him. Without the Yankees offer to compare it to, you'd have gone nuts, and you'd have been right. The Yankees can afford to do this kind of thing because if it doesn't work out, they can just spend the money to make it right. The Sox can't, and never will be able to, no matter who the owner is. may its my disdain for him, weaver, that i think he even not worth the 3 players you mention.......... i will admit to that.

but i am not convince he is that good of a pit and then again, i keep thinking of the boras ingredient.

Jjav829
07-06-2002, 01:20 AM
I think this from Yahoo pretty much sums it up well.

The New York Yankees continued to stockpile other teams' talent, acquiring pitcher Jeff Weaver from the Detroit Tigers in a three-team deal that also sent Carlos Pena from Oakland to the Motor City. To acquire Weaver, the Yankees parted with Ted Lilly (ouch), minor league outfielder John-Ford Griffin (stop it), and minor league pitcher Jason Arnold (that had to hurt), all of whom end up in Oakland. For taking their turn as a Yankees' minor league affiliate , the Tigers get Pena, minor league pitcher Franklin German, and a player to be named later, all from the Athletics.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:22 AM
may its my disdain for him, weaver, that i think he even not worth the 3 players you mention.......... i will admit to that.

but i am not convince he is that good of a pit and then again, i keep thinking of the boras ingredient.

Speaking of Boras. Another chip in Weaver's favor is if you bother to notice Boras only represents guys who are GOOD.

Garrison
07-06-2002, 01:23 AM
Why couldn't we have done a deal for Weaver? From the looks of this Weaver for Crede and maybe a prospect straight up would have done it. Carlos Pena? Come on! It doesn't matter that they're the Yankees with all the money and crap, any contender could have pulled this off. Reinsdorf will no doubt blame us, the fans.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:23 AM

Speaking of Boras. Another chip in Weaver's favor is if you bother to notice Boras only represents guys who are GOOD. and are a pian in the ass as well.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Garrison
Why couldn't we have done a deal for Weaver? From the looks of this Weaver for Crede and maybe a prospect straight up would have done it. Carlos Pena? Come on! It doesn't matter that they're the Yankees with all the money and crap, any contender could have pulled this off. Reinsdorf will no doubt blame us, the fans. and do you think that he worth crede and borchard and maybe jon ruach thrown in?

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 01:26 AM
Nice to see the Cardinals and Red Sox in this Weaver race.

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:29 AM
and do you think that he worth crede and borchard and maybe jon ruach thrown in?

Man LDF you are the king anti-Weaver. There is none higher.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:31 AM

Man LDF you are the king anti-Weaver. There is none higher. thank you, thank you :) :gulp:

seriously tho he is not worth it, imo

kermittheefrog
07-06-2002, 01:32 AM
thank you, thank you :) :gulp:

seriously tho he is not worth it, imo

You ain't gettin' through to me. I'm a Weaver believer.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:33 AM

You ain't gettin' through to me. I'm a Weaver believer. fair enuf. i can accept that.

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 01:36 AM

If we still had Fogg and Wells, would you trade both of them for Weaver?

I'd love to have Weaver on the Sox, but Williams would screw the trade up.

danman31
07-06-2002, 01:36 AM
I think Detroit did well in this deal. Weaver is a solid lefty, but not great. Pena is a young up and comer that I really like. The Tigers also got a closer who is supposed to be one of the best closers in minor league baseball(well the GM said that, but I'm not sure if it was propaganda or not). I don't know what Oakland was thinking, Lilly isn't that good and they already have pitching. Maybe the prospects they got are good.

Ultimately the Yankees got their man(well 1 of many that they want and have gotten).

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:40 AM

If we still had Fogg and Wells, would you trade both of them for Weaver?

I'd love to have Weaver on the Sox, but Williams would screw the trade up. therein lies the prob. if our cupboard wasn't soooo nearly bare, and we still had kipper and josh, i can live with a package of prospect.......... but that is not going to happen.

i am so hesitant of kw trades and with him at the helm.

Tragg
07-06-2002, 01:40 AM

But apparently they couldn't have. All the reports were that the Tigers were asking for 3 top prospects. Suddenly, the yanks deal Lily for Weaver and the Tigers get 1 player (I assume he's really good)? It just sounds fishy - as if there is some "prestige" in giving players to the yankees a la the way the braves got players for so many years.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

But apparently they couldn't have. All the reports were that the Tigers were asking for 3 top prospects. Suddenly, the yanks deal Lily for Weaver and the Tigers get 1 player (I assume he's really good)? It just sounds fishy - as if there is some "prestige" in giving players to the yankees a la the way the braves got players for so many years. all the prospect that were involve are good to very good prospect........ some of which i would love to see in a sox uni........ esp franklin german.

Paulwny
07-06-2002, 10:10 AM
The yankmees traded Lily, who is older then Weaver, and some "maybes". They just obtained Detroit's best pitcher and the best available pitcher on the market.
While ball fans talk about prospects yankmee fans talk about championships. King George doesn't put minor league trophies on his mantel. King George's future prospects come from the rest of mlb, proven players, with a very few exceptions.
George doesn't care about his minor league system since these players are tradeable for proven talent. If some of the players he trades "make" it in mlb he can always make another trade or obtain them through fa to get them back.
The rest of mlb is George's farm system.

MarkEdward
07-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The yankmees traded Lily, who is older then Weaver, and some "maybes". They just obtained Detroit's best pitcher and the best available pitcher on the market.
While ball fans talk about prospects yankmee fans talk about championships. King George doesn't put minor league trophies on his mantel. King George's future prospects come from the rest of mlb, proven players, with a very few exceptions.
George doesn't care about his minor league system since these players are tradeable for proven talent. If some of the players he trades "make" it in mlb he can always make another trade or obtain them through fa to get them back.
The rest of mlb is George's farm system.

On the contrary, George cares deeply about his farm system. He invests a large sum of money into scouting and minor league coaching. Look at the Yankees' starters: Posada, Soriano, Jeter, Bernie Williams, Rivera, Mendoza, and Orlando Hernandez all came from the Yankees' farm system. Finally, George hires competent GMs. You don't see Cashman trading away young talent like Claussen or Adrian Hernandez for Todd Ritchie.

voodoochile
07-06-2002, 11:44 AM

Weaver's only worth it if the Sox are contenders THIS year. They aren't, so I am glad KW didn't give away the rest of the farm system to get him...

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The rest of mlb is George's farm system. very good and i haven't thought of it that way. but we need more than 1 pit to get us there. we have a team full of holes. if we needed 1 pit to get us there, then maybe i would say lets go for it.

Paulwny
07-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

On the contrary, George cares deeply about his farm system. He invests a large sum of money into scouting and minor league coaching. Look at the Yankees' starters: Posada, Soriano, Jeter, Bernie Williams, Rivera, Mendoza, and Orlando Hernandez all came from the Yankees' farm system. Finally, George hires competent GMs. You don't see Cashman trading away young talent like Claussen or Adrian Hernandez for Todd Ritchie.

Both Hernadez brothers were never in the mlb draft, Everyone wanted El Duque , George had the money. He uses his minor league system to trade for proven talent.
I guess you never read this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12596

CerberusWG
07-06-2002, 12:37 PM
A's made a GREAT trade here.

Griffin is a grea OF, and Arnold isn't that bad.

Oakland now has a great 4 man rotation with Hudson, Mulder, Zito, and Lilly.

Oakland got the best of this deal, IMO.

soxtalker
07-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I agree.

Everyone focuses on the money Steinbrenner spends on acquiring talent at the major league level -- free agents, trades like this, signing top players. And his money means that he can afford to make a mistake or two at the major league level. However, what scares/impresses me most over the past few years are the points that you've brought up. The Yankees invest at all levels and run a very smart organization.

In particular, George hires smart management and expects them to perform (holds them accountable). JR had been building up a pretty good farm system through a very cautious stockpiling of talent. KW came in and made trading mistakes. Steinbrenner would have the ability to absorb more errors like that by buying major league talent. However, he would also not tolerate the poor management decisions of KW for very long. JR, in contrast, will probably keep KW around a long time, as he seems to place extremely high value on loyalty. (That's not entirely a bad thing.)

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 01:18 PM
in addition, anybody is trade-able, i love the trade game, only if it make sense. overpaying is not part of the equation, only if you needed that piece to win it, weaver will not get us there. kw has shown he is willing to trade and that is fine, but when he makes bad trades and practically give away our base of talent, then we have to question any further dealings he is doing. perfect point is the famous of infamous no-trade and getting darrin erstad. will that trade have gotten us to the series?

jklm
07-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
A's made a GREAT trade here.

Griffin is a grea OF, and Arnold isn't that bad.

Oakland now has a great 4 man rotation with Hudson, Mulder, Zito, and Lilly.

Oakland got the best of this deal, IMO.

Billy Beane is good...

As for the Tigers, getting basically a first baseman for an ace (I know Jeff Weaver will only be a #3 as a Yankee... depressing) does not make sense, does it?

This is a depressing week...

P.S. This is Jeff Weaver's stat this season

JEFF WEAVER, 2002
Comerica: 3.99 ERA, 65.1 IP, 41 SO, 19 BB, 3 HR
Everywhere Else: 2.24 ERA, 56.1 IP, 34 SO, 14 BB, 1 HR

This is Cy Young statistics. If the Yankees made the trade a week earlier, Torres would have picked Weaver as an all star...

TheBigHurt
07-06-2002, 02:36 PM
could it get any easier for the Yanks to win the WS

Paulwny
07-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

I agree.

Everyone focuses on the money Steinbrenner spends on acquiring talent at the major league level -- free agents, trades like this, signing top players. And his money means that he can afford to make a mistake or two at the major league level. However, what scares/impresses me most over the past few years are the points that you've brought up. The Yankees invest at all levels and run a very smart organization.

Yea, right, look at the yankmee farm pitchers, Pettite, Mendosa, Rivera, They won't get you to the playoffs.
Hired guns that no one else could afford Clemens, Mussina and now Weaver will. Yankees talk about their great farm system and have such great faith in them that they continue to go out and sign fa's, WHY?

kermittheefrog
07-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Weaver's only worth it if the Sox are contenders THIS year. They aren't, so I am glad KW didn't give away the rest of the farm system to get him...

No, not true at all. Weaver is young and under contract for 3 more years. Thats the worst part about this deal, the Yanks aren't getting some old starter with a couple good years left they are getting a young starter who will be a longterm fixture at the top of their rotation and is already a proven winner. Guys like that don't go on the block very often.

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 02:24 PM

No, not true at all. Weaver is young and under contract for 3 more years. Thats the worst part about this deal, the Yanks aren't getting some old starter with a couple good years left they are getting a young starter who will be a longterm fixture at the top of their rotation and is already a proven winner. Guys like that don't go on the block very often.

Yep, the replacement for El Duque has been met, It's the same old song.

Paulwny
07-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Although Weaver is now being shelled, the yankmee radio announcers are laughing about the BIG PROBLEM Torre now has with a 6 man starting rotation.

MisterB
07-07-2002, 11:35 PM

He's under contract, yes, but he's not cheap (I think he gets $15 mil over the next 2 years). That would seriously affect the Sox not just on the salary itself, but on any long-term deal the Sox might extend to Buehrle, who has arguably pitched better than Weaver the last 2 years. Add to that:

1. Konerko goes to arbitration after this year, then will be a FA if we don't sign him long-term.
2. Getting Weaver would have almost assuredly involved either Crede or Borchard, plus more - which leaves us with Weaver, but without a possible CF or 3B in addition to the SS, 2B, Closer and possibly LF and Catcher we will be needing in the near future.

There are just way too many question marks in the Sox' forseeable future to give up that much talent to get, and pay that much money to if the Sox lineup amounts to Maggs, Konerko (maybe), Thomas (looking less and less likely) and a bunch of rookies.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

He's under contract, yes, but he's not cheap (I think he gets $15 mil over the next 2 years). That would seriously affect the Sox not just on the salary itself, but on any long-term deal the Sox might extend to Buehrle, who has arguably pitched better than Weaver the last 2 years. Add to that:

1. Konerko goes to arbitration after this year, then will be a FA if we don't sign him long-term.
2. Getting Weaver would have almost assuredly involved either Crede or Borchard, plus more - which leaves us with Weaver, but without a possible CF or 3B in addition to the SS, 2B, Closer and possibly LF and Catcher we will be needing in the near future.

There are just way too many question marks in the Sox' forseeable future to give up that much talent to get, and pay that much money to if the Sox lineup amounts to Maggs, Konerko (maybe), Thomas (looking less and less likely) and a bunch of rookies. esp when we really have no other immediate talent in the minors that will be able to help us to get to that next level......... that is why i am for accumulating as much minors leaguers talent, like this when we are close and 1 or 2 players away, then we can overpay to get them ala yankees..........

btw good post.