PDA

View Full Version : Where have the Indians fans gone?

Fenway
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
They announced the crowd as 9,025 for Tuesday night and that is being generous.

This now 3 games under 10,000 to start the season and while it is chilly, the weather is not terrible for April.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215528_1895588262133_1014362077_32181475_4812185_n .jpg

This is becoming Montreal 10 years ago.

JermaineDye05
04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
They announced the crowd as 9,025 for Tuesday night and that is being generous.

This now 3 games under 10,000 to start the season and while it is chilly, the weather is not terrible for April.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215528_1895588262133_1014362077_32181475_4812185_n .jpg

You have to imagine 90% were Red Sox fans.

Fenway
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM

You would be correct - very upset Red Sox fans

DSpivack
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe Clevelanders have just given up on sports.

Can you blame them?

LongLiveFisk
04-05-2011, 10:03 PM

That's what's REALLY scary about this.

Brian26
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM

This was covered a bit in the gamethreads this weekend.

I imagine trading away Cliff Lee and Sabbathia in the span of one year probably didn't win them any fans. Unfortunately it looks like they got hosed on at least one of those deals. At least when they traded Bartolo to (ironically) Montreal in 2002, they got three pretty good players in return (Lee, Sizemore and Phillips).

Fenway
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
That's what's REALLY scary about this.

Boston radio announcer Dale Arnold on a nice Indians play -

And the fan goes wild....:tongue:

jdm2662
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I remember when Larry Dolan got a hold of the team, Les Grobstein was on CLTV back when they still had a sports show. Les said, if anyone thinks the owners in Chicago are bad, wait until to see this guy. I imagine when you get rid of all your star players and not replace them properly, you may lose popularity.

DumpJerry
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
They have been out of town stalking LeBron.

Fenway
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I remember when Larry Dolan got a hold of the team, Les Grobstein was on CLTV back when they still had a sports show. Les said, if anyone thinks the owners in Chicago are bad, wait until to see this guy. I imagine when you get rid of all your star players and not replace them properly, you may lose popularity.

Just got a long tirade about Dolan from a bartender.

Dick Jacobs was beloved but wanted to sell before he died.... Dolan enraged the fanbase by changing the name of the park and he says Dolan makes Rachel Pheleps look good.

peelwonder
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Just got a long tirade about Dolan from a bartender.

Dick Jacobs was beloved but wanted to sell before he died.... Dolan enraged the fanbase by changing the name of the park and he says Dolan makes Rachel Pheleps look good.

Dropping a little Major League Humor are we?

cub killer
04-06-2011, 01:26 AM
The NHL should capitalize on the baseball apathy there. Tbh, hockey is the sport of the future.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2011, 07:22 AM
The NHL should capitalize on the baseball apathy there. Tbh, hockey is the sport of the future.

Oh, geeze. You know damn well who's going to agree with this statement, don't you? :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
04-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Hopefully so. But, the NHL is doing poorly in Columbus (Ohio's biggest city). Do you honestly think Cleveland would be able to support an NHL franchise? The doubt is high.

Cleveland fans are sick and tired of the losing they've dealt with for all of their teams. All 3 of their teams collectively have ripped their hearts out more than pretty much every other city's teams.

gobears1987
04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/harry%20doyle.jpg

Hello, Tribe fans, welcome to Major League Baseball... sort of. The attendance today is 14 hundred and 12. Most of them left after that 10 run inning the Red Sox put up. Take over Monty, I'm in the bag.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Hopefully so. But, the NHL is doing poorly in Columbus (Ohio's biggest city). Do you honestly think Cleveland would be able to support an NHL franchise? The doubt is high.

Cleveland fans are sick and tired of the losing they've dealt with for all of their teams. All 3 of their teams collectively have ripped their hearts out more than pretty much every other city's teams.

Right on cue.

soltrain21
04-06-2011, 08:02 AM

:rolling:

Sure it is.

Fenway
04-06-2011, 08:22 AM
The AHL team in Cleveland doesn't even call themselves Cleveland. Tepid support even with cheap prices.

doublem23
04-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio, but Cleveland is the biggest metro area. That said, I'm not sure the economy in Northern Ohio can support a fourth Major League team. The fact is Cleveland is a Browns town, the Indians had that great run in the 90s but it was the perfect storm of a really, really, really good team and the Browns' hiatus. The situation is very bleak right now for the Tribe, but I don't think Cleveland has ever been a particularly rabid baseball town.

TheOldRoman
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio, but Cleveland is the biggest metro area. That said, I'm not sure the economy in Northern Ohio can support a fourth Major League team. The fact is Cleveland is a Browns town, the Indians had that great run in the 90s but it was the perfect storm of a really, really, really good team and the Browns' hiatus. The situation is very bleak right now for the Tribe, but I don't think Cleveland has ever been a particularly rabid baseball town.I would say that Cleveland can fully support two and a half teams. The Browns are going to sell out every game and get the support they need. However, the Indians and Cavaliers will always be competing for the greater percentage of the other "one and a half". When either team is winning consistently, they will do well. However, when either of those teams suck, fans will either go see the other team instead or just not go. Thankfully, barring a huge blunder by ownership, the Sox' days of averaging 16,000 fans are over. Chicago could support all five of its teams and put up respectable attendance numbers when terrible. Obviously, the Blackhawks situation is hypothetical since they haven't been terrible since they decided to become a big league team again, but my point still stands. Even with the Browns there, the Indians would sell out their games if they had consistently great teams again. Unfortunately for them, the 2005 team looked mediocre until August and the 2007 team was sandwiched between terrible seasons. I also think their choke job in 2007 against the Red Sox really hurt that fanbase. They would have easily won that World Series and the fans know it.

GoSox2K3
04-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Cleveland was dead last in MLB in attendance last year at just a shade under 1.4 million. Unless that team gets hot, those numbers might be even worse this year.

Back during the height of the Indians' late 90s/early 2000s run, I remember people comparing Indians fans to Cubs fans - saying they support their team and show up to games no matter what. I guess it's easy to say that when you have a pennant contending team that's totally stacked with all-stars and you play in a brand new, well-like stadium. That house of cards has totally collapsed now.

SI1020
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
The NHL should capitalize on the baseball apathy there. Tbh, hockey is the sport of the future. Not such a great track record there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Barons_(NHL)

SephClone89
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM

I...

Uh...

What...

I don't even know how to begin.

ewokpelts
04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
serves them right

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Rollerball is the sport of the future!

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/rollerball.jpg

DumpJerry
04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, the Cleveland Barons were packing them in.

Fenway
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the Cleveland Barons were packing them in.

The Barons played 20 miles from downtown in Richfield. If they had the arena downtown then, they would still be there.

SI1020
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
The Barons played 20 miles from downtown in Richfield. If they had the arena downtown then, they would still be there. Didn't the Cavs play there too? Cleveland, like Pittsburgh is maxed out at 3 professional franchises.

Fenway
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Didn't the Cavs play there too? Cleveland, like Pittsburgh is maxed out at 3 professional franchises.

Cavs did as well

kaufsox
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Cavs did as well

Richfield, ahh the memories of my youth. I barely remember the Barons, but IIRC it wasn't like the NHL was that much of a presence nation-wide back then. Even so, Cleveland/Northeastern Ohio is not an appealing market right now, it continues to lose population, is still reeling from the housing market crash and sluggish economy. The only team that will have sustained attendance and success (business speaking anyway) is the Browns. The Indians and the Cavs need success to draw fans, it's always been that way. Though when successful, both teams draw really well.

guillensdisciple
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I think Cleveland fans took their talents to south beach.

ZombieRob
04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Right on cue.

What, someone who knows about the sports goings on isn't allowed to chime in?

TomBradley72
04-07-2011, 08:53 AM
The Barons played 20 miles from downtown in Richfield. If they had the arena downtown then, they would still be there.

Bring back the Cleveland Crusaders!

Red Barchetta
04-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Maybe it's time White Sox fans invade their ballpark just like their fans did after Jacob's Field opened and they had the consecutive sell out streak going. Those were some obnoxious fans. The SOX were arguably going through one of the roughest PR/Marketing stretches of the Reinsdorf era, (post strike and pre-renovations) and I remember going to games with wayyyyyyyy too many Cleveland fans in the stands.

Ron Karkovice
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Maybe it's time White Sox fans invade their ballpark just like their fans did after Jacob's Field opened and they had the consecutive sell out streak going. Those were some obnoxious fans. The SOX were arguably going through one of the roughest PR/Marketing stretches of the Reinsdorf era, (post strike and pre-renovations) and I remember going to games with wayyyyyyyy too many Cleveland fans in the stands.

But I don't want to go to Cleveland! :whiner:

Brian26
04-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Yes, around '98 and '99, I remember walking down the ramps after games surrounded by more Cleveland fans than Sox fans. Those were some dark days.

Max Power
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, around '98 and '99, I remember walking down the ramps after games surrounded by more Cleveland fans than Sox fans. Those were some dark days.

Lofton would lead off the game and get on base somehow. Then he would steal second, and come home on a single. We trailed 1-0 and their fans went crazy.

That seemed like the script every time I went to a Sox/Indians game in those days. Not fun at all.

MUsoxfan
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Hopefully this series convinces the fans to open the wallets in April

Ex-Chicagoan
04-07-2011, 02:14 PM

It wasn't just the ramps. I recall working downtown and constantly bumping into Chief Yahoo wearing morons up and down Michigan Avenue.

Dub25
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
No worries, the gnats will occupy the seats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0pRYihxsY

Foulke You
04-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Lofton would lead off the game and get on base somehow. Then he would steal second, and come home on a single. We trailed 1-0 and their fans went crazy.

That seemed like the script every time I went to a Sox/Indians game in those days. Not fun at all.
Those were dark days indeed. It was during those games that I really grew to hate Tribe fans. I used to feel like a hostage in my own ballpark.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Those were dark days indeed. It was during those games that I really grew to hate Tribe fans. I used to feel like a hostage in my own ballpark.

Back then, fans with upper deck tickets were allowed in the lower concourse and I remember the Cleveland fans would buy the cheap seats and then just stand around in the concourse and around the outfield. As the game progressed, they would get drunker and louder. I remember a few fights breaking out. It was like they didn't have anything to cheer about in any professional sports for years and then with the Indians actually good with a new ballpark, they became super obnoxious.