PDA

View Full Version : 35th Street Metra station officially opened today

doublem23
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
There's going to be an actual dedication ceremony later in the year, but the station is in service as of today. Some pictures of the finished product:

http://mas-studio.tumblr.com/post/4327590013/a-few-pics-of-new-metra-station

mrs. hendu
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Looks nice :smile:

FielderJones
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Metra newsletter On The Bi-Level announcement (http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Bi_Level/OTBLApril2011.pdf) (pdf) shows the railings from the east side, and discusses game day trains.

Streets
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Seems like it will be fine for those who want to leave right after the game. Those that like to hang out at the local bars will still need to drive in for the game.

Looks like my friends and I will cross this option off our list.

ShooterMcGavin
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
There's going to be an actual dedication ceremony later in the year, but the station is in service as of today. Some pictures of the finished product:

The station looks nice and it's long overdue. That said, I don't like that its name "Lou Jones" when "Frank Thomas" is more appropriate. Not only is the stop because of White Sox fans, but it's also the 35th St. stop, which is also The Big Hurt's number.

mrfourni
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Seems like it will be fine for those who want to leave right after the game. Those that like to hang out at the local bars will still need to drive in for the game.

Looks like my friends and I will cross this option off our list.

If the game ends at 10:00, that gives you an hour and 20 minutes to catch the train that arrives at 35th street at 11:21.

Streets
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
If the game ends at 10:00, that gives you an hour and 20 minutes to catch the train that arrives at 35th street at 11:21.

Yep, that's a bit early for us.

havelj
04-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Yep, that's a bit early for us.

Then you can hit the one at 12:37am - last train of the night.

Streets
04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Then you can hit the one at 12:37am - last train of the night.

ha ha on occasion that's still to early! Every once in awhile we pull a late night... but it could be doable, though not sure how safe it'd be for a few girls that late. Last train will definitely be an option when we get a bigger group. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Where is this train station? Is it on the tracks just to the west of the park?

roylestillman
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Where is this train station? Is it on the tracks just to the west of the park?
To the east, the tracks that run along the Ryan's frontage road (LaSalle)

DrCrawdad
04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
To the east, the tracks that run along the Ryan's frontage road (LaSalle)

I forgot about those tracks. That's very convenient.

Hendu
04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
More info. on the design of the station, and what was left out to cut costs.

Link (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2011/04/new-metra-stations-aesthetics-derailed-by-cost-cutting-measures-35th-street-facility-designed-by-ski.html)

manders_01
04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
More info. on the design of the station, and what was left out to cut costs.

Link (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2011/04/new-metra-stations-aesthetics-derailed-by-cost-cutting-measures-35th-street-facility-designed-by-ski.html)

As an architectural designer (an architect without a license), all I can say is boo-****ing-hoo SOM. :rolleyes: There is no doubt in my mind that their design was over budget. Should Metra have consulted them on an alternate design. Yes. Would it have changed anything? Probably not. Having dealt with architects and designers who have absolutely no concept of budget and take the "Its my design or nothing" approach (which in my opinion, SOM is one of those firms), I can't see them changing their design to meet budget requirements. While SS is less maintenance than painted / powder coated steel, the rails can be replaced several times over before spending the same amount on the SS rails.

That being said, the original design is more aesthetically pleasing and it's a shame that the design couldn't have somehow been revised to meet budget and still incorporate some of the original design features (silver powder coating comes to mind).

Streets
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I heard rumblings of a resurfacing project on the Stevenson this summer, any truth to this? If so, then this train is looking better and better than what I originally thought. At least when I head to games with my Orland Park friends.

doublem23
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I heard rumblings of a resurfacing project on the Stevenson this summer, any truth to this? If so, then this train is looking better and better than what I originally thought. At least when I head to games with my Orland Park friends.

Haven't seen anything about resurfacing, but Illinois did just announce a 6-year, $12 B major road construction plan that does include various projects on the Stevenson.

http://www.dot.il.gov/hip1217/hwyimprov.htm

roylestillman
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Southtown reports that 1200 took the Rock Island to Opening Day. Friends of mine who took it said it was so jammed they didn;t even bother taking tickets.

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/4709405-522/fans-join-hands-for-the-sox-train.html

doublem23
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Southtown reports that 1200 took the Rock Island to Opening Day. Friends of mine who took it said it was so jammed they didn;t even bother taking tickets.

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/4709405-522/fans-join-hands-for-the-sox-train.html

Good ol' Metra

WhiffleBall
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
We took the 12:30pm train from the loop which dropped us off promptly at 12:36. They had 3 conductors and only three cars so everyone had their ticket checked. The fare from LaSalle street station to the 35th stop (A to A) is $2.25.

Caught the 5:04pm home which is a crowded rush hour train. Quite a few people coming from the game had cans of beer which I presume they picked up from tailgaters. One particular fan on our very quiet car was really drunk and loud. He was so drunk that he did not know that the sox won the game. The Friday and Saturday night post game trains are going to be crazy. I've seen metra bring in additional security for trains after taste and lolla before and I would imagine they will have to do the same after sox games. It's going to be tricky with little kids on those trains.

Do no forget that if you don't buy a ticket at your station then you have to pay an additional $3. The $7 unlimited weekend pass is the best deal. If you will be going to a lot of weekday games then a 10 ride pass is the next best deal. A 10 ride pass is discounted 20%, can be used for multiple riders, and never expires.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-08-2011, 12:07 PM
A 10 ride pass is discounted 20%, can be used for multiple riders, and never expires.

In case anyone goes this route, I believe you have one year from purchase date to use the 10 ride.

mrfourni
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
In case anyone goes this route, I believe you have one year from purchase date to use the 10 ride.

Technically that's true. But the design of the ten ride pass has never changed, and I've never seen a conducter check the date of issue on the back of a 10 ride ticket

Hitmen77
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Technically that's true. But the design of the ten ride pass has never changed, and I've never seen a conducter check the date of issue on the back of a 10 ride ticket

I actually changed recently in that they added a bar code to the front of the ticket.

They essentially never change, but they do tweak the design once in a long while. I actually know someone who wanted to use an old 10 ride (several years old) and the conductor actually spotted that and rejected the ticket.

I know that must be a very rare occurrence, but I'm just saying it can happen.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Do no forget that if you don't buy a ticket at your station then you have to pay an additional $3.

I thought that only happened if you paid cash on the train after getting on at a stop with a ticket counter.

mrfourni
04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
. One particular fan on our very quiet car was really drunk and loud. He was so drunk that he did not know that the sox won the game. The Friday and Saturday night post game trains are going to be crazy. I've seen metra bring in additional security for trains after taste and lolla before and I would imagine they will have to do the same after sox games. It's going to be tricky with little kids on those trains.

I'm really surprised they haven't banned alcohol on these post-game trains yet. Judging by your post, it seems like its just a matter of time.

WhiffleBall
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I thought that only happened if you paid cash on the train after getting on at a stop with a ticket counter.

Correct, if you get on at a station without a ticket counter then you do not have to pay the $3 charge. You also don't have to pay it if you get on at that station after the ticket counter has closed.

What sucks about that fee is that most new metra riders don't know about it until after they get on the train. A lot of first time riders who get on at LaSalle street station end up paying the $3.

WhiffleBall
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I actually changed recently in that they added a bar code to the front of the ticket.

They essentially never change, but they do tweak the design once in a long while. I actually know someone who wanted to use an old 10 ride (several years old) and the conductor actually spotted that and rejected the ticket.

I know that must be a very rare occurrence, but I'm just saying it can happen.

That is something new. I've used very old 10 rides passes many times. I just used a 3 year old 10 ride pass a few weeks ago.

doublem23
04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
What sucks about that fee is that most new metra riders don't know about it until after they get on the train. A lot of first time riders who get on at LaSalle street station end up paying the $3.

Yeah, I never knew about it, either. I always wondered why my ticket was so much more expensive than what the brochure's said.