PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios

ShooterMcGavin
04-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Alex Rios has not had a hit through the first three games of the season. I'm definitely not worried about Rios yet, but the Sox will need his bat to have a successful 2011 season.

I'll add it's not just Rios's results at the plate, but the way he has looked during his at bats. Rios regularly falls behind in the count, takes strikes and swings at balls. Hopefully he can get it together against Kansas City.

PeteWard
04-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Smacked the ball hard yesterday. Bad today. I am not concerned.

JermaineDye05
04-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with the post. We need his bat. It's too early in the season to get worried about him. He had some good at-bats yesterday. If he has another lackluster series in KC, then I might start to worry a bit.

Foulke You
04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Not worried at all about Alex. He will hit. All you need to do is look at the back of his baseball card.

sox1970
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Not worried at all about Alex. He will hit. All you need to do is look at the back of his baseball card.

I'll stick with baseball-reference.com for my stat needs.

Crappy weather, and he hit the ball hard Saturday. Good weather in KC should help. He's fine.

Daver
04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
After three games you posted this?

Seriously?

Zakath
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
The bat will come around. I'm just happy that he hasn't let his defense suffer as a result of his struggles at the plate.

Crooked Number
04-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Seriously?

Right? :scratch:

It may just be a tad early to start worrying about anyone yet. 3 games into the season, sheesh.

Gavin
04-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Seriously?

Another substantial post from Daver!!

Rios just needs to see more pitches... I have no idea why he's averaging 2.5-3.5 pitches per at bat.... he should be a legitimate OBP threat to the opposing teams.

SephClone89
04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Rios just needs to see more pitches... I have no idea why he's averaging 2.5-3.5 pitches per at bat.... he should be a legitimate OBP threat to the opposing teams.

Rios hasn't been a good OBP guy since '07.

hi im skot
04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I'll stick with baseball-reference.com for my stat needs.

Analog is warmer.

Another substantial post from Daver!!

Daver is right. It's completely silly to hit the panic button after three games, especially after seeing his at bats Saturday. There's really nothing to freak out about at this point.

TheVulture
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Batting behind Dunn and Konerko and ahead of Quentin, we primarily need him to just hit and get those runs in anyway. With those three guys having the ability to post .370+ OBPs, I'm not worried if Rios walks 30 times a year if he can just hit like he has shown in the past. Theoretically, if Beckham and Quentin hit they way we hope they can, we may not need much production from Rios anyway.

soxinem1
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Seriously?

Really. At least wait a week. If he starts 0-30, then it is fair game, not an 0-8 with three swings that were nailed.

OBP has never really been his game. If he is agressive and jumps on fastballs and hanging stuff, that is all we need.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Batting behind Dunn and Konerko and ahead of Quentin, we primarily need him to just hit and get those runs in anyway. With those three guys having the ability to post .370+ OBPs, I'm not worried if Rios walks 30 times a year if he can just hit like he has shown in the past. Theoretically, if Beckham and Quentin hit they way we hope they can, we may not need much production from Rios anyway.

You beat me to it. Nice post.

thomas35forever
04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Keep him in the five spot until he hits his stride again, but I'm not worried. It's too early for that.

kevingrt
04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Keep him in the five spot until he hits his stride again, but I'm not worried. It's too early for that.

Three games is way too quick to worry. Lets get through the first homestand and then figure it out.

Hendu
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
If we're worrying about Rios after one road series in April...imagine what Red Sox fans must be going through.

I think he will be fine.

JB98
04-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Alex Rios is one of the last people on this club I'd be worried about.

Even when he struggles with the bat, he helps the team because he is far and away the best defensive OF the Sox have.