PDA

View Full Version : Thomas talks about Hriniak

Jerry_Manuel
07-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Before the game, Thomas said he is seriously thinking about putting a call in to Walt Hriniak, the Sox' hitting coach from 1989-95.

Thomas thrived under Hriniak when he broke in with the Sox and he worked with his mentor prior to the 2000 season. Thomas went on to bat .328 and establish career highs with 43 home runs and 143 RBI while leading the White Sox to the playoffs.

"He knows me better than anybody and it might be time for some tough love,'' Thomas said. "I think Walt would definitely help me out if I call. But I don't know yet. I don't want to be calling him every time something's wrong. That's not fair to (current hitting coach) Gary Ward.''

Still, Thomas is in dire straits, and so are the Sox.

"He's always been able to break down my swing,'' Thomas said of Hriniak. "The only thing I'm worried about is the time. With Walt, he'd break everything down and start from scratch. I don't know if there's going to be time for that. Plus, that's an awful lot to think about. But I can't keep going on like this.''

RKMeibalane
07-05-2002, 08:42 PM
In a perfect world, Gary Ward would be fired, and Hriniak would be re-hired. Does anyone know why he isn't still the hitting instructor?

UGHHH!

Here's my theory on what's wrong with Frank:

Frank is an outstanding hitter, but even outstanding hitters need advice and help from time to time. He's pulling his hip on every pitch, which is causing him to stride towards the pitcher instead of the plate. As a result, he does have as much time to see the ball; therefore, he is not reading pitches as well as he normally does. Also, because he is not moving towards home plate, he is not getting the necessary amount of plate coverage. This why he is having trouble reaching the outside pitch. I'm sure he probably doesn't realize he's doing this. It would help if someone told him, so he could correct it.

Blarg! Fire Gary, Nardi, and Williams- NOW!

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2002, 12:47 AM
I'm sorry, but screw Gary Ward's feelings! The Sox need the real Frank Thomas back, and it's clear that Gary Ward isn't the guy to get that done.

Not every coach can work with every player.

alohafri
07-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Frank is an outstanding hitter, but even outstanding hitters need advice and help from time to time.

Hell, even Tiger Woods goes back to his teaching pro a couple of times a year.

Iguana775
07-06-2002, 11:25 AM
why was he fired in the first place?? he seems to be a pretty good coach and frank really likes him.

mrwag
07-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
why was he fired in the first place?? he seems to be a pretty good coach and frank really likes him.

Consider who's running the team. Does that answer your question?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

It's been years since Hrniak was shown the door. Wasn't he gone even before Bevington got fired? That must be 5+ years ago.

IIRC, Bill Buckner was hitting coach, then Von Joshua, and next came Gary Ward.

:jerry
"I can sure pick'em, can't I!"

RKMeibalane
07-06-2002, 01:59 PM
You left out another person who served as hitting instructor. Right before Von Joshua joined the team, Ron Jackson was in charge. I believe Jackson replaced Buckner sometime during the 1997 season, and then Jackson was fired in '98.

Iguana775
07-06-2002, 02:37 PM
bill buckner?? did he ever coach infield defense?? LOL.....if he did, his coaching must still be a lingering effect on the sox D. :)