SOX WIN!!!
:bandance:

Soxman219
04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Offense: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:
Bullpen: :scratch::scratch:

soltrain21
He pulled the starters way too early. Game was a lot more fun in the beginning. However, a win is a win. Hopefully they mash all year long.

Nice to be 1-0.

soxnut1018
At least we got it Dunn! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

aryzner
You're going to win a lot of games if you hit like that.

You're not going to win a lot of games if you pitch like that.

But the Sox are 1-0.

Crestani
A win is a win...I guess..!! Ugly relief pitching.

RockJock07
bullpen sucked big balls today, if all goes to plan, Ohmen and Pena won't be pitching much anyways.

Mark wasn't all that great either, lets move on to game 2.

Harry Potter
Hopefully we didn't blow our proverbial load today and can score more than 1-2 runs tomorrow

thomas35forever
Offense: :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:
Bullpen: :scratch::scratch:
To put it another way, an A+ for the offense, but a D for the bullpen.

SoxSpeed22
04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
That was much more aggravating than that needed to be. Great job by the offense, but we could use a good outing from Jackson tomorrow.

GoGoCrede
A win's a win, and that was exciting. I'm happy baseball is back.

harwar
I realize that it's only the 1st game but i can't remember the last time that i saw this team being so selective and working the count so well, kind of like the yankees do .. i hope it last for the whole season .. bullpen looked scary .. anyway .. Huzzah .. mark one up in the win column ..

BoysMom3
I was super stoked for the first four innings. Not so much when the Indians got 10 runs.

cheezheadsoxfan
I really hope this was just an opening day glitch for the pen. Burls may have relaxed a little too much with that big lead. Offense was awesome however. Nice to see Beckham and TCQ hitting.

Rohan
04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
1-0! Keep it up. Every win now is just as important as a win in August & early September.

I couldn't watch the game but after watching the highlights, I can honestly say that Adam Dunn KILLS baseballs.

ohthosechisox
You can never be complacent in baseball.

But a win is a win.

SOXSINCE'70
It should not have been this close.
Glad to win, but it feels like the Sox outlasted the Tribe.
Hope Edwin Jackson has his good stuff tomorrow.
Memo to Ozzie: Next time, for the sake of the ulcer growing
in my stomach,wait till the 7th or 8th to yank starters in a blowout.:praying:

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
That was pretty ugly. The most unnerving thing for me wasn't Buerhle or the bullpen, but rather the fact that we do not have a fourth outfielder who could be a late innings defensive replacement for Quentin.

mrs. hendu
I couldn't watch the whole thing because I was at work (like many others, no doubt), but looking at the score, I'd rather see 5-0. Lots of runs are fun to watch, but 10 runs allowed scare the heck out of me.

Still, it's a win.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Offense: A+ (14 runs in the first 4 innings - that says it all)
Defense: B (Morel was great, but Milledge didn't look too hot out there)
Starting Pitching: B+ (Buehrle was nigh untouchable for the first 5 innings, but then lost focus)
Relief Pitching: D (Ohman the prime offender, but none of the relievers looked too good...hopefully it's just rust and not an omen [no pun intended])

Overall Grade: Who cares, we won!:bandance:

soxfanreggie
04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
A win's a win, and that was exciting. I'm happy baseball is back.

That's exactly how I feel! :bandance:

I probably would have played the starters a little longer this early in the season, but I'll take our offensive explosion!

Navarro's Talent
04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
A win's a win.

Hopefully, the Indians got all of their hitting out of the way.

JB98
04-01-2011, 05:25 PM
It shouldn't take four relief pitchers to close out a game like that.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

I'm glad to see Beckham and Quentin get off to good starts. Those two are the keys to the offense this season.

soxlady8
04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Morel looked pretty good :)

Bullpen looked stinky !

1-0-- I will take it !

Crooked Number
Being the first game (and few weeks), there will be cobwebs. Looks like the pen is going to go first. Have to hope they bounce back. Huge statement win for the Whitesox. The league is on notice, our lineup can mash. Its going to be a fun ride in '11!!! Cant wait to watch the highlights of innings 1 through 6 when i get home from work.

Jurr
1-0, boys. Let's get the series tomorrow.

MisterB
04-01-2011, 05:31 PM
TCQ is on a pace for 810 RBIs! WooHoo!

Ugly wins still count in the standings.

LongLiveFisk
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Winning ugly. Hopefully we get some pretty wins this year too. The kind that don't raise your blood pressure.

Waiting for the Ozzie postgame show...

SOXSINCE'70
04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Waiting for the Ozzie postgame show...

:ozzie
"Today, our 'pen pitched like sheet".:angry:

Lip Man 1
04-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm disappointed the way the bullpen performed but like Stone said, "it's human nature" when you're up 14-zip. With that kind of lead you're throwing the ball over the plate and saying "hit it... let's get out of this cold..."

Wonderful day all the way around...a win is a win is a win...ugly or not.

If the weather cooperates, go get em' tomorrow.

Lip

ChicagoG19
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
At least we got it Dunn! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

This should be the thread title.

JB98
04-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm disappointed the way the bullpen performed but like Stone said, "it's human nature" when you're up 14-zip.

Wonderful day all the way around...a win is a win is a win...ugly or not.

If the weather cooperates, go get em' tomorrow.

Lip

And, in fairness, it's probably a 15-5 or 15-6 final if Lillibridge and Milledge could catch the ball. The Cleveland scorekeeper was guilty of home-team scoring, for sure. Those were errors, not hits.

The Sox were never in danger today. I just don't like relief pitchers throwing so many pitches. Could hurt the Sox in tomorrow's ballgame. Thornton actually had to get up and start throwing. Shouldn't happen after leading 14-0.

slavko
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Lucky me. I went to run some errands at 14-0 and got back in time for the last pitch. Errands can be more fun than White Sox baseball. Sometimes.

TDog
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
The White Sox won the game in the fourth. What is lost is that the starter they did it against had some success against the Sox in the past. What is further lost is that the White Sox built up the lead with great two-strike hitting.

The two-strike hitting that built the lead before the game got ridiculous was the most impressive aspect to the offense. And I was most impressed with Quentin's focus at the plate.

The game was also sloppy, and the White Sox made it sloppy by taking a 14-run lead. Maybe Buehrle lost his focus. I don't know if he was tiring. He probably wouldn't have had to work so hard in the sixth if Beckham had still been in the game.

I understand why Guillen took the starters out when he did. He had the chance to get bench players into their first game of the season. Only the veteran Omar Vizquel didn't get into the game. And as it was, the Indians didn't get within five runs. The Sox had six runs through three innings.

It took on the flavor of a spring training game, but it was never in doubt except among some pessimistic fans. Getting the bench some playing time on opening day could make the bench better as the season progresses.

TommyGavinFloyd
04-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Would I have liked the bullpen to give up less runs; sure, but I'm not really concerned with it. We went 9-9 against these clowns last year. 32-40 vs the Central on the year. That's really all that matters. There's 1 down; win the series tomorrow.

doublem23
04-01-2011, 05:50 PM
You guys need to chill the **** out about the bullpen. I know the runs were ugly, but they allowed just 1 walk and 1 line drive (both Jesse Crain). That's how you pitch with a gigantic lead. You don't walk guys, you don't roll **** over the heart of the plate, but you throw strikes and if they get hits that fall, SO BE IT. The WORST thing you can do is be cute and allow teams to get back in the game, but if they earn it, that's baseball. The Indians suck, but these guys are still MLB players.

FWIW, the Indians win probability never rose above 0.5% in the game after the 4th inning. They were never in this one.

Sox win! :gulp:

JB98
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
You guys need to chill the **** out about the bullpen. I know the runs were ugly, but they allowed just 1 walk and 1 line drive (both Jesse Crain). That's how you pitch with a gigantic lead. You don't walk guys, you don't roll **** over the heart of the plate, but you throw strikes and if they get hits that fall, SO BE IT. The WORST thing you can do is be cute and allow teams to get back in the game, but if they earn it, that's baseball. The Indians suck, but these guys are still MLB players.

FWIW, the Indians win probability never rose above 0.5% in the game after the 4th inning. They were never in this one.

I don't see anybody on the ledge here. :dunno:

PeteWard
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
You guys need to chill the **** out about the bullpen. I know the runs were ugly, but they allowed just 1 walk and 1 line drive (both Jesse Crain). That's how you pitch with a gigantic lead.

I agree about chilling out, but you neglected to mention the two HRs Ohman gave up in one inning.--so it was much worse than you claim

First place! :gulp:

doublem23
04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't see anybody on the ledge here. :dunno:

Game thread

doublem23
04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree about chilling out, but you neglected to mention the two HRs Ohman gave up in one inning.--so it was much worse than you claim

First place! :gulp:

True, but again, those were two towering hits that those guys just got a hold of. When you're up double-digits I'm not going to crucify a guy for that. Now, if you're pulling that **** with a 1- or 2-run lead, yes that is a problem, but the difference between a HR and a fly-out is literally millimeters on a bat. If a butterfly in Hong Kong flapped it's wings 1 second earlier, both those HR and harmless flyouts.

Que sera sera.

russ99
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Even though it got messy towards the end, a win is a win and the offense looked great.

Let's get them tomorrow, hopefully we'll get better pitching.

Bucky F. Dent
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
The perfect season remains intact! :)

BringBackBlkJack
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
And, in fairness, it's probably a 15-5 or 15-6 final if Lillibridge and Milledge could catch the ball. The Cleveland scorekeeper was guilty of home-team scoring, for sure. Those were errors, not hits.

This. Buehrle pitched just fine, especially given the huge lead.

roylestillman
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Does anybody ever remember a game where a team scored 15 runs and struck out 14 times. I'm not sure what that tells you, but this was one of the oddest games I ever remember. For a minute there I was flashbacking to the Opener in Kansas City in 2004 that we blew in the ninth.

soltrain21
04-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Does anybody ever remember a game where a team scored 15 runs and struck out 14 times. I'm not sure what that tells you, but this was one of the oddest games I ever remember. For a minute there I was flashbacking to the Opener in Kansas City in 2004 that we blew in the ninth.

Yes. And thanks to Hawk for bringing that story up, and the Jose Panagiua story up when the Indians were kind of crawling back into the game.

Two things I'd rather not remember.

russ99
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes. And thanks to Hawk for bringing that story up, and the Jose Panagiua story up when the Indians were kind of crawling back into the game.

Two things I'd rather not remember.

LOL! That's so much funnier now that the game's over and we didn't blow it.

soxstarter
04-01-2011, 06:27 PM
A win, is a win! Put it on the board.......... Yes!:D:

LongLiveFisk
04-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Oh I don't know. I think there's a difference between saying things like, "This bullpen sucks. We'll never win with these guys. What were we thinking?" and just expressing genuine concern. I like to think people were just concerned and I don't recall any specific "the sky is falling" kind of comments in the thread. However, I did not read the entire thread either, so maybe some people were getting a little crazy.

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Like 2 games in one, we won the first half and the Tribe won the 2nd half. Did not get to see it but the hitting on both sides really surprised me considering the cold temp.

vinny
04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Does anybody ever remember a game where a team scored 15 runs and struck out 14 times.
Baseball Reference comes up with blanks on that query.

bluedemon45
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
A win is a win. Hopefully Edwin can give us a solid outing tomorrow so we don't have to use most of the bullpen.

Nelfox02
04-01-2011, 07:20 PM
always nice to win the lid lifter. starters were putting together fantastic at bats early in the game. Crain was okay, so was sale.....Pena was pena. was anyone really that shocked that Ohman was that bad?

Marqhead
04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
A little disappointed we had to use as many pitchers as we did, and that they gave up as many runs as they did, but I'd rather them do it in a 14-0 blowout than a close one.

A win to start the season is always a good thing, let's keep it up tomorrow.

rcescato
04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I was super stoked for the first four innings. Not so much when the Indians got 10 runs.

me 2 a happy game turned into come on get this over with

Boondock Saint
04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
The new and improved South Side Lumber Company: Now delivering in April.

KnightSox
04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice too see Dunn doing what he does, and we need TCQ to keep it up all year.

flo-B-flo
04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
1-0.....rather win it than lose it

there will be some no offense good bullpen wins

compete EVERY game

assess after 30 games.......

whitem0nkey
04-01-2011, 08:59 PM
You can never be complacent in baseball.

But a win is a win.

What sport can you be complacent in?

Gavin
04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game but what the hell was wrong with Rios today? 0-4 with 3 Ks when everybody else is mashing the ball? Didn't he strike out looking at least once? ***?

tstrike2000
04-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Lovin' me some Will Ohman.

Jurr
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Wasn't able to watch the game but what the hell was wrong with Rios today? 0-4 with 3 Ks when everybody else is mashing the ball? Didn't he strike out looking at least once? ***?

Not his best day, but you can't expect 9 out of 9 starters to mash in a game. The law of averages has to take over somewhere.

He'll be fine.

Mohoney
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
That was pretty ugly. The most unnerving thing for me wasn't Buerhle or the bullpen, but rather the fact that we do not have a fourth outfielder who could be a late innings defensive replacement for Quentin.

Lastings Milledge is a thousand times better at baseball than Alejandro De Aza.

OmahaSoxFan
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Nice to see the offense come out today swinging... 15 runs scored to open the season... pretty freaking solid if you ask me!

This team has the potential to score A LOT of runs this season, and today proved that, emphatically! Adam Dunn, for all his strikeout issues, adds a huge power threat to the heart of the batting order, which was sorely needed last year when the DH spot was basically a black hole in the line-up. If the Sox display the type of hitting that they showed off today the Sox will have a veritable "murderer's row" with Dunn, PK, Rios and TCQ, with Beckham, Alexei and AJ surrounding them... Sounds like a great line-up to me!

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow's game will bring, hoping for a strong outing from EJ! So glad that baseball season is back! :bandance:

sullythered
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
This was a beatdown. We pulled a bunch of starters when it was out of hand, and saw Will Blowman and Tony Pena, neither of which are going to be super crucial to a successful season.

Nice to see Dunn doing what he does, but that is absolutely not a surprise. I was way more stoked to see TCQ keep up the hot bat in the regular season.

shingo10
04-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Sox win, Twins lose!

YES. Good day.

chisoxfanatic
04-01-2011, 11:39 PM
If TCQ can play like this the whole season, this lineup is going to be deadly.

soxnut1018
04-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Sox win, Twins lose!

YES. Good day.

Magic number is 161! :bandance:

Foulke You
04-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Well, at least two of those Ks came against Carmona who is a pitcher Rios has struggled historically against. (.186avg career heading into the Opener) One player always has to "wear it" on a 15 run day and today it was Alex.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-02-2011, 01:28 AM
What sport can you be complacent in?

As far as fans go, I think the Bulls fans have been pretty secure when it was proven that the entirety of the Central division (aside from the Bulls, of course) was hot garbage.

But that's a different thread.

Sox are the only team to be in first place undisputed right now. (LAD is 2-0, but they've played one more game than the rest of the division aside from SF)

Let's keep it going tomorrow!

johnnyg83
04-02-2011, 01:39 AM
win win win ... no one will remember in a month ... if we keep on winning.

gobears1987
04-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Fire Greg Walker!

bigdommer
04-02-2011, 05:53 AM
White Sox hitters mashed against a frontline AL starter.

Indian hitters mashed against a couple of guys who will never pitch in a meaningful situation.

I like it.

bigdommer
04-02-2011, 05:57 AM
By the way, that game shows how stats can deceive a bit. Mark's line by itself doesn't look too good, but if you watched the game you would know he dominated until his team built a 14 run lead, and then he pitched according to the game. Who cares if he gave up 1 run or 5 runs.

And Pena's line looks brutal, but if that's a home game or played anywhere that the official scorer is not blind, Milledge gets an error and Pena has zero earned runs. That ball's gotta be caught and even the Indians announcers were shocked it wasn't an error. Maybe MLB will grow a pair and change it.

hawkjt
04-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Yes, MB was very solid today when it counted,in building the 14-0 lead.
In the 6th he was strictly in the ''here it is boys, see if you can hit it'' mode.
Loved to see Juan lead off the season with a nice solid basehit,followed by Gordo getting one also...the PK came thru,and Carlos...just a great way to start the season.

The Indians beat the Sox up last year because they can hit the heck outta the ball. That lineup has some solid hitters,and when Sizemore gets back...they would be dangerous if they could pitch a lick.

Great opening day...softball team is back!

Brian26
04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Dunn is amazing. He didn't even hit that HR off the good part of the bat, but it was one of the longest HRs to rightfield I've ever seen in Cleveland. I thought he took a better swing on the double the next inning, which he absolutely killed.

tstrike2000
04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Dunn is amazing. He didn't even hit that HR off the good part of the bat, but it was one of the longest HRs to rightfield I've ever seen in Cleveland. I thought he took a better swing on the double the next inning, which he absolutely killed.

Definitely.

DonnieDarko
04-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Definitely.

To be quite honest, I thought that that homer he hit was going to be a popout, or at best caught at the wall. No way did I think that it was going to go THAT far back. Man, this guy is a friggin' monster.

Glad to have him on the team! :cool:

gobears1987
04-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Dunn is the type of player who has the ability to not just hit home runs, but hit extremely lone ones. He hit one in Cinci that went out of the park and all the way out to the Ohio River. Joe Borchard's record distance homer will probably be eclipsed at some point during Dunn's time on the Sox.

wassagstdu
04-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Brent Lilibridge has struck out in 11 of his last 12 at bats (9 of 10 to end last season and 2-for-2 in Friday's game). He has looked completely overmatched in those at bats. Is it just that Cleveland has his number?

cws05champ
04-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Brent Lilibridge has struck out in 11 of his last 12 at bats (9 of 10 to end last season and 2-for-2 in Friday's game). He has looked completely overmatched in those at bats. Is it just that Cleveland has his number?

His number should be in AAA...

Brewski
04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
His number should be in AAA...

LOL. What happened when he was smokin' with the bat for a while last season? Jekyll and Hyde. In the field, he can't Hide whether he's hitting or not.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Lastings Milledge is a thousand times better at baseball than Alejandro De Aza.

Not defensively. Of the tools that he has, his defense has always been the weakest, he had two bad plays yesterday. One that he managed to make at the beginning of the sixth and the other one he dropped.

DirtySox
04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Not defensively. Of the tools that he has, his defense has always been the weakest, he had two bad plays yesterday. One that he managed to make at the beginning of the sixth and the other one he dropped.

Yep. Milledge is kinda scary out there. Not looking forward to the Sunday lineup with Milledge in CF and Teahen in RF.

SoxFan1979
04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
WOW!! I love the 15 runs but 10 runs for Indians not so much :scratch:

Sox win!!!

TDog
04-02-2011, 02:23 PM
LOL. What happened when he was smokin' with the bat for a while last season? Jekyll and Hyde. In the field, he can't Hide whether he's hitting or not.

Lillibridge was a very good pinch-hitter last season. I'm not sure if teams were working on an old scouting report or if Guillen sent him up in situations that were optimal for him to hit or if Lillibridge has a mindset that makes him a great pinch-hitter. Maybe it's a combination of all three, or maybe he was just underexposed. Last year, almost all of the damage he did offensively was as a pinch hitter. Only one exception comes to mind, a big extra-inning hit when his defensive shortcomings contributed to the game being in extra innings. I assumed Lillibridge made the roster as a pinch-hitter who could play the infield and outfield if needed.

He is something to watch in batting practice, though. It's hard line drives all over the field with some banging off the seats. Last season, Lillibridge and Viciedo were the most fun to watch in batting practice. Of course, that usually changed when they weren't facing Kevin Hickey and Mark Salas.

vinny
04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Baseball Reference comes up with blanks on that query.

New record for runs scored while striking out 14 times! (Or runs allowed when striking out 14 opposing batters)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/10556