PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding broken bats in the stands

JermaineDye05
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I just saw this on the Cubs game. Lyle Overbay broke his bat and the barrel went into the seats behind the dugout. A fan caught it. Afterwards, an usher came by and took it away.

I've noticed many times before during baseball games, but never knew why.

Is it because the stadium views it as a weapon? Also, do the fans get anything in exchange?

Marqhead
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I just saw this on the Cubs game. Lyle Overbay broke his bat and the barrel went into the seats behind the dugout. A fan caught it. Afterwards, an usher came by and took it away.

I've noticed many times before during baseball games, but never knew why.

Is it because the stadium views it as a weapon? Also, do the fans get anything in exchange?

Yeah they probably don't want anyone getting stabbed, and yes usually they give the fan another bat or a ball or something.

downstairs
04-01-2011, 05:40 PM
A broken bat can be very dangerous.

JermaineDye05
04-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Yeah, so can a whole bat.

Fenway
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Ask this poor woman in KC

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/01/2770070/royals-fan-hit-in-face-by-broken.html

Ron Karkovice
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Remember when a broken bat went right through Colvin?

gobears1987
04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, baseball needs to do away with maple bats. There is tons of evidence out there showing the danger they pose compared to ash bats. While any bat can break, ash bats don't explode the way maple bats do. MLB knows it's a problem and has done nothing. This woman should sue the league. It's the only way baseball will take action before someone gets killed.

Foulke You
04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
MLB knows it's a problem and has done nothing.

Here is an article on what MLB is doing:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100601&content_id=10678914&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Mike Piazza concurs.

TDog
04-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, baseball needs to do away with maple bats. There is tons of evidence out there showing the danger they pose compared to ash bats. While any bat can break, ash bats don't explode the way maple bats do. MLB knows it's a problem and has done nothing. This woman should sue the league. It's the only way baseball will take action before someone gets killed.

Spectators have been suing baseball teams and leagues for damages from injuries inflicted by balls and bats in the stands since the 19th century. Hockey teams and leagues have been sued over errant pucks. These cases rarely go very far because of the precedent that heavily favors the defendants. Shattered bats, being foreseeable in their frequency, would see to fall under the same legal principle as other cases of foreign objects unintentionally leaving the field of play. In general, fans attending games assume the risk of being injured with objects from the field of play.

PeteWard
04-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Ask DeNiro in The Untouchables. :cool:

Alexei4president
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM

every player should buy ash bats by Hoosier Bat Company. they have the most quality bats that are tough as nails..oh and frank hit his 400th and 500th with a Hoosier so u know they are good ;)

downstairs
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Yeah, but once the bat is caught, its not that dangerous (unless the person decides to use it as a weapon).