PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

all*star quentin
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
WGN just showed a KW flag when Kerry Wood was announced. WHY?:scratch: Anyone know?

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
WGN just showed a KW flag when Kerry Wood was announced. WHY?:scratch: Anyone know?

I think they put up a bunch of flags commemorating famous moments in Cubs history and one of them was for Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game.

all*star quentin
04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I think they put up a bunch of flags commemorating famous moments in Cubs history and one of them was for Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game.

Thanks

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-01-2011, 01:20 PM

If they hang 103 blank flags to show their championship history, that game won't start until 6.

DumpJerry
04-01-2011, 01:20 PM
:KW
They want me to replace Hendry.

LongLiveFisk
04-01-2011, 03:07 PM
:KW
They want me to replace Hendry.

I was just thinking, "A Kenny Williams flag"? :tongue:

Red Barchetta
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I heard that when they introduced him during the pre-game festivities, the Cubs fans gave him a standing ovation! To recognize the fan support, Wood tipped his cap, however immediately hurt is right elbow. He is now on the 15 day DL. :tongue:

Let's raise a cold one for the Cub's 2003 14-game winner!

34rancher
04-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh you didn't hear?

Kerry Wood was inshrined in the simulated hall of fame.

ZombieRob
04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Other than the Strike Out game, what has Kerry Wood exactly accomplished? I must be missing something. Also, Bob and Len were selling Ski Caps and Tee-Shirts in the bottom of the 9th. What a complete disgrace this team has become.

TomBradley72
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Is there a "TR" flag for the Tuffy Rhodes 3 HR game?

whitem0nkey
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Other than the Strike Out game, what has Kerry Wood exactly accomplished? I must be missing something. Also, Bob and Len were selling Ski Caps and Tee-Shirts in the bottom of the 9th. What a complete disgrace this team has become.

Fastest to reach 1,000 strikeouts in MLB history (in appearances): 134 games

Fastest to reach 1,000 strikeouts in MLB history (in innings pitched): 853 IPalso

He is cool in my book.

he is a guy that gets way to much hate from sox fans and way to much love from cub fans.

pythons007
04-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Fastest to reach 1,000 strikeouts in MLB history (in innings pitched): 853 IPalso

He is cool in my book.

he is a guy that gets way to much hate from sox fans and way to much love from cub fans.

I think each one feeds eachother...Not to mention Dave Kaplan is an *******.

Dub25
04-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Been wondering the same thing when I heard today he was given an extended standing O. :scratch:

Dub25
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM

He is cool in my book.

But does the average Cub fan know of these acomplishments?

Ron Karkovice
04-02-2011, 12:17 AM

He is cool in my book.

Good post. We need to calm down with Cubs "Flubs" :rolleyes: hate this year. Let's concentrate on the Sox kicking Ass.

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Good post. We need to calm down with Cubs "Flubs" :rolleyes: hate this year. Let's concentrate on the Sox kicking Ass.Who's we? I can multi-task on this subject; the Sox don't suffer during times that I'm hating the Cubs.

Ron Karkovice
04-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Who's we? I can multi-task on this subject; the Sox don't suffer during times that I'm hating the Cubs.

It's semi-embarrassing. They are a bad team. The way a lot of us focus on them isn't necessary anymore.

SephClone89
04-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Good post. We need to calm down with Cubs "Flubs" :rolleyes: hate this year. Let's concentrate on the Sox kicking Ass.

Amen.

I've honestly gotten to the point that I don't even really hate the Cubs anymore. Don't root for 'em, don't root against 'em.

Red Barchetta
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM

He is cool in my book.

I joke about him getting hurt, however I have always liked Kerry Wood. Primarily because he was always straight with the media, never dodge the hard questions and also because he took a bat to Sosa's boom box after Sosa quit on the Cubs the last weekend of the 2004 season.

I understand why he returned to the Cubs, however I would not have minded him signing with the SOX as a bullpen arm.

SI1020
04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
It was a much friendlier less intense rivalry back in the Stone Age days of my youth. Then the Cubs got semi good under Leo Durocher and the press led by Rick Talley of the old Chicago Today threw the Sox overboard almost en masse. Things got worse with the Tribune Company, and even worse yet with the advent of interleague play and Sammy Sosa. Despite the Sox actually winning a WS, nothing much has changed. So in the interest of self preservation I hope the Cubs lose every game they possibly can. Yesterday's game was reminiscent of the days in the late 60's and early 70's when the Cubs were pretenders and the Pirates would come to town and regularly smack them around like a bigger stronger older sibling. Neil Walker's shot onto Sheffield avenue reminded of a big game in 69 when Willie Stargell did the same thing. That was right before the Cubs went into NY for that ill fated two game series with the Mets.

Red Barchetta
04-02-2011, 10:27 AM
It's semi-embarrassing. They are a bad team. The way a lot of us focus on them isn't necessary anymore.

Funny, because growing up as a SOX fan, I never really hated the Cubs. It wasn't until the early 80s when the Tribune purchased the Cubs and did everything right (from a marketing perspective) while the SOX were doing everything wrong (from a marketing perspective) and the Tribune media (un)officially declared Chicago a Cubs town that I started to hate all things Cubs-related.

With the Tribune marketing power gone and with the grasp of the WGN superstation reduced, I'm starting to see a return to pre-Tribune era Cub coverage.

I agree that now is a great time for the White Sox to focus on winning and providing a solid, MLB option to the beer garden known as Wrigley.

MarySwiss
04-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Who's we? I can multi-task on this subject; the Sox don't suffer during times that I'm hating the Cubs.

Exactly, Nellie! I do not understand why it bothers some people that others among us enjoy ripping the Cubs. (Especially since it's usually so easy!)
:D:
You don't want to do it, fine, don't do it, but skip the lecture on those who do.

DumpJerry
04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Exactly, Nellie! I do not understand why it bothers some people that others among us enjoy ripping the Cubs. (Especially since it's usually so easy!)
You don't want to do it, fine, don't do it, but skip the lecture on those who do.
Some people are better than the rest of us. The day Cub fans finally shut up about how good they are (:?:), I guess we'll stop reminding them of how silly they are thinking they have something worth supporting.

LongLiveFisk
04-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Funny, because growing up as a SOX fan, I never really hated the Cubs. It wasn't until the early 80s when the Tribune purchased the Cubs and did everything right (from a marketing perspective) while the SOX were doing everything wrong (from a marketing perspective) and the Tribune media (un)officially declared Chicago a Cubs town that I started to hate all things Cubs-related.

I was the same way until the same time you mention. When the Cubs won their division in '84, I was in junior high and all of a sudden everyone at my school jumped on their bandwagon. It was like '83 never happened on the south side. When I wore anything Sox, I heard all kinds of ****. That's when I started cheering for Cubs losses, just so all the bandwagon kids could eat it, and shut the hell up.

Many years later, I won't say I hate them, but I've now had over two decades since that '84 season to marvel at how silly their fanbase can be with the Cubbie obsession. Being a fan is one thing, but stating every year "this is the year" and trash-talking is what floors me. If it was my team that hadn't won in over a century, I'd keep my lips zipped or know I looked like a complete jackass.

Red Barchetta
04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I was the same way until the same time you mention. When the Cubs won their division in '84, I was in junior high and all of a sudden everyone at my school jumped on their bandwagon. It was like '83 never happened on the south side. When I wore anything Sox, I heard all kinds of ****. That's when I started cheering for Cubs losses, just so all the bandwagon kids could eat it, and shut the hell up.

Many years later, I won't say I hate them, but I've now had over two decades since that '84 season to marvel at how silly their fanbase can be with the Cubbie obsession. Being a fan is one thing, but stating every year "this is the year" and trash-talking is what floors me. If it was my team that hadn't won in over a century, I'd keep my lips zipped or know I looked like a complete jackass.

Exactly! Case in point being Harry Carey! When he was with the SOX he was just an announcer. When he went to the Cubs and the Tribune Marketing team got a hold of him, he immediately became a legend. Same guy, different perspective. I remember how during the 80s, the WGN Cubs broadcasts started to showcase Wrigelyville, etc. more and more vs. the actual team on the field.

They obviously did an excellent job, however Ricketts does not have the capital bandwidth to duplicate it.

Here's to better, Dave Kingman era-like days ahead for the Cubbies! :tongue:

cws05champ
04-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I think this is an all too common story of why this generation of Sox fans hate the Cubs and all things Cub related. Also why they are portrayed as bitter and jealous haters (sometimes justified) to the Cubs and their fans. Even though in a lot of cases the bitterness is justified because of the biased media coverage.

Regarding Wood though, it wasn't that I hated him....it was the marketing machine of the Cubs that made me dislike things about them as a whole. I thought Wood was a great talent and it was too bad he could never really put it all together without the injuries. It was he that reportedly smashed Sosa's boom box in the clubhouse and he has showed great character as a person throughout his career. It was when the Cubs got Prior and the world proclaimed them as World champs before the 2004 season (after the choke of 2003) that Wood got lumped together with the diva Mark Prior even though they couldn't be more different. Wood has tried to pitch through pain and often hurt himself more, whereas Prior would get a hang nail on his pinky toe and be out 6 weeks.

Red Barchetta
04-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I think this is an all too common story of why this generation of Sox fans hate the Cubs and all things Cub related. Also why they are portrayed as bitter and jealous haters (sometimes justified) to the Cubs and their fans. Even though in a lot of cases the bitterness is justified because of the biased media coverage.

Regarding Wood though, it wasn't that I hated him....it was the marketing machine of the Cubs that made me dislike things about them as a whole. I thought Wood was a great talent and it was too bad he could never really put it all together without the injuries. It was he that reportedly smashed Sosa's boom box in the clubhouse and he has showed great character as a person throughout his career. It was when the Cubs got Prior and the world proclaimed them as World champs before the 2004 season (after the choke of 2003) that Wood got lumped together with the diva Mark Prior even though they couldn't be more different. Wood has tried to pitch through pain and often hurt himself more, whereas Prior would get a hang nail on his pinky toe and be out 6 weeks.

For me the peak of my hatred for everything Cub-related was during the Sosa era after interleague had just started. The SOX swept the Cubs in Wrigley and during the final game the SOX pitchers struck out Sosa 4 times. The Tribune sports headline the following day read "Sosa Frustrated by Sox" or something close to that, with a big back-page picture of Mr. Cork. The biased coverage was so over the top it was like the SOX played in another city. :rolleyes:

However, I'm over that now. :tongue:

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Growing up in the 50s and 60s I did not hate the Cubs, to me the whole operation was a joke and something to be made fun of. I was a vendor at both parks in 61 and 62 and was lucky if I made $5 at the Friendly Confines while at Sox park $15 to $20 was the norm. That was good money for a young lad selling Coke or peanuts. Then came the late 60s and it seemed like the whole town forgot about the Sox and the 17 straight winning seasons with great pitching and defense and as good with fundemental baseball as any team around. The media sure forgot about us and I saw Sox fans becoming Cub fans and thats when the hate started. When the Tribune bought them, the hate really festered as the Cubs could no wrong as others in the media followed suit with the Tribune.

pearso66
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I can't say I hate the Cubs, nor Kerry Wood, but I love giving my Cub fan friends a hard time.

white sox bill
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Amen.

I've honestly gotten to the point that I don't even really hate the Cubs anymore. Don't root for 'em, don't root against 'em.
My sentiments exactly. I stopped the cub hate a while back. To me they are harmless.

Bob Roarman
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Good for you. You guys can also take the outside generalization of White Sox fans being jealous of the Cubs as well. Without complaint. Thank you.

SI1020
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Good for you. You guys can also take the outside generalization of White Sox fans being jealous of the Cubs as well. Without complaint. Thank you. Why? That's bull****. First where did she generalize about anything? She merely stated she liked to rip on the Cubs. So do I in those rare moments when I think of them. I'm certainly not jealous of them, their fans, or ballpark. Ask some fans in other cities who have dealt with their fans and ours who they prefer. They are not among the most well liked in MLB these days. Is there some set of rules and etiquette on how to root for your favorite team? Sorry if some of us embarass you.

SephClone89
04-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Why? That's bull****. First where did she generalize about anything?

:rolleyes:
He didn't say she did. He was pretty explicitly referring to "outside generalizations."

TommyJohn
04-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Bitching and pissing matches-A sure sign that the season has started.

TheVulture
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM

I disagree about the Flub hate, but instead suggest Wood get the "Derrick Lee Pass" for good behavior. He's already received more than he has deserved from Sox fans. And there is still so many worthy targets in the Cub organization. I'm looking at you, Ricketts et al.

TheVulture
04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
You guys can also take the outside generalization of White Sox fans being jealous of the Cubs as well.

That's a joke right? What in the world would Sox fans have to be jealous of when it comes to the Cubs?

Losing?
Watching a bunch of jack asses play crap baseball?
Watching a bunch of jack asses watch a bunch of jack asses play crap baseball?
Looking like clown shoes wearing your team's gear?

The only thing I can think to be jealous of isn't even true. The ladies at the cell are actually hotter...

Sorry, I give up/

Bob Roarman
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
DAT BAWL HIT DEEP! Way back! He looks up....reading comprehension! For the win! YES! HELL YES!

Can't have it both ways folks.

SephClone89
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
That's a joke right? What in the world would Sox fans have to be jealous of when it comes to the Cubs?

Losing?
Watching a bunch of jack asses play crap baseball?
Watching a bunch of jack asses watch a bunch of jack asses play crap baseball?
Looking like clown shoes wearing your team's gear?

The only thing I can think to be jealous of isn't even true. The ladies at the cell are actually hotter...

Sorry, I give up/

Jesus ****ing Christ. Calm down.

The "assumption" when it comes to Sox fan jealousy is usually of the media attention the Cubs receive...plenty of Sox fans are jealous of that. Wasn't there a guy here who used to keep track of Sox and Cubs media stories? That's an inferiority complex...and jealousy.

DumpJerry
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM

The "assumption" when it comes to Sox fan jealousy is usually of the media attention the Cubs receive...plenty of Sox fans are jealous of that. Wasn't there a guy here who used to keep track of Sox and Cubs media stories? That's an inferiority complex...and jealousy.
One fan was worried about column inches. One. That is less than two for those of you keeping score at home. Nobody else gave or gives a damn. I find it more than coincidental that Cub fans started their "inferiority" mantra about us after the 2005 season along with the "stop living in the past" bull**** whenever we mentioned 2005, even as soon as November, 2005.

I was at a Cub/Sox game at Comiskey in '06 when the single digit IQ Cub fan behind me said something about us "living in the past" whenever we mention the 2005 team. I turned around and said that his "colleagues" celebrate playing in a stadium that makes the Roman Coliseum look brand new by comparison, so they are the last ones to whine about someone living in the past.

Sox fans do not have an inferiority complex. I am a full season ticket holder, so I'm there 60 times or so a season. I have never heard any of the fans complain like a neglected sibling. There is very little posted on here that indicates we have an inferiority complex. It is people like you perpetuate the myth that we have an inferiority complex. Where is your empirical evidence to back up your hypothesis? Perhaps you're a closeted Cub fan......

I love how you tell people who disagree with you to "calm down." How about taking your lumps when you don't have a substantive retort to your silly generalizations?

doublem23
04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I still hate the Cubs. That doesn't mean I care what they do, but whatever it is, I hate.

BTW, I've noticed Cub fans this year have been much more vocal in trying to remind everyone that Sox fans only care about hating the Cubs. Looks like someone else is developing their own inferiority complex.

But seriously. **** the Cubs. Anyone tries to tell you that makes you less of a Sox fan or something, they're dead wrong.

Brian26
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ.

Really? Is that necessary over this? :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a guy here who used to keep track of Sox and Cubs media stories? That's an inferiority complex...and jealousy.Henry is 100 times the Sox fan you are, so calm yourself down.

LongLiveFisk
04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I was at a Cub/Sox game at Comiskey in '06 when the single digit IQ Cub fan behind me said something about us "living in the past" whenever we mention the 2005 team.

It's nice to have a past to live in. And a present. And a future.

It's not our fault they are 0-for-3 in this regard. :cool:

The Immigrant
04-03-2011, 06:21 AM
But seriously. **** the Cubs. Anyone tries to tell you that makes you less of a Sox fan or something, they're dead wrong.

Testify!

DumpJerry
04-03-2011, 07:43 AM
It's part of the fan culture of both the Cubs and Sox. If you go to Ohio and say something like "the weather is nice in Michigan," they will pummel you to death because that means you are disloyal to the Ohio State University (Lord help any Ohio high school football or basketball player who considers taking a scholarship from "the school up there").

My friends who are Cub fans give me so much **** about the Sox, you'd think they have an inferiority complex about the fact I experienced my team winning the World Series. But since I'm not a clinical Psychologist, I cannot make that diagnosis..........:wink:

gobears1987
04-03-2011, 07:58 AM
It's part of the fan culture of both the Cubs and Sox. If you go to Ohio and say something like "the weather is nice in Michigan," they will pummel you to death because that means you are disloyal to the Ohio State University (Lord help any Ohio high school football or basketball player who considers taking a scholarship from "the school up there").

They still despise Charles Woodson for it.

gobears1987
04-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Really? Is that necessary over this? :rolleyes:

Henry is 100 times the Sox fan you are, so calm yourself down.

Hangar needs to come back to these parts and post. The man had passion.

Dan H
04-03-2011, 08:27 AM
During the late '90's, it was tough to be a White Sox fan. But I was never jealous of the Cubs. During those record breaking 60-homer seasons Sosa put up, the Cubs never won a playoff game. I thought the whole Wrigley experience was way over-hyped. So it was the propaganda machine that bothered me, not anything about the Cubs themselves.

The White Sox have always had their issues. I don't know how far they will go this year, but at least we can have some hope, some real hope. It is not some "Hope Springs Eternal" stuff that has no relation to reality.

As far as Kerry Wood goes, he comes across as a decent guy. I think he was mishandled even before he played for the Cubs. It is too bad. Instead of having a great career, he had great moments. But I think he is guy who has appreciated the attention the fans have given him.

The Immigrant
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
They still despise Charles Woodson for it.

Desmond Howard too, much more than Woodson.

mzh
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
As far as Kerry Wood goes, he comes across as a decent guy. I think he was mishandled even before he played for the Cubs. It is too bad. Instead of having a great career, he had great moments. But I think he is guy who has appreciated the attention the fans have given him.
Yes. From what I've heard, his arm trouble was not something that started with the Cubs. After his repeated injuries started, I recall reading stories saying that going back to high school Wood had coaches pitching him both ends of doubleheaders, that sort of thing. Going back to the late 90's though, the amount he used that curveball and hard slider made it unsurprising to me the amount of the trouble he had. I too have never heard anything bad about him as a person from people who have met him in person or former teammates.

TheVulture
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Perfectly calm, dude....

Calmer than you are....

Calmer than you are.

SephClone89
04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Perfectly calm, dude....

Calmer than you are....

Calmer than you are.

Bizarre use of ellipses.

DumpJerry
04-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Bizarre use of ellipses.
Enough already. The world does not revolve around you........

SoxandtheCityTee
04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
It isn't jealousy and it isn't inferiority. Do you feel inferior to or jealous of everyone you think is a fool, a creep or a pain in the ass? Of course not.

Just stop it already.

Foulke You
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I have nothing against Wood as a person or a player either. He does seem pretty humble and a nice guy. My only issue regarding Kerry Wood is that he just might be the most overrated pitcher in the history of Chicago baseball. He is held with such reverence by Cub fans and the media as if he was some upper echelon pitcher. I realize that injuries played a part in Wood's demise but there are plenty of "could've been" pitchers who got hurt and never lived up to expecations but aren't held in such high regard. Wood's banner season (2003) finished with a 14W-11L record. He never won more than 14 and only won double digit games in three seasons. He has only pitched over 200 innings twice in his entire career. Wood's career as a relief pitcher has been even less remarkable. However, that didn't stop his return to Wrigley being treated as if Nolan Ryan was coming back to roost. The guy got standing ovations at Ho Ho Kam Park in his first few games back in Mesa. :?: I'll never really understand the fascination. I guess he got tons of mileage out of that 20K game against Houston and that failed playoff run of 2003. The same playoff run where he wet the bed in Game 7 of the NLCS.

doublem23
04-04-2011, 12:50 AM
It isn't jealousy and it isn't inferiority. Do you feel inferior to or jealous of everyone you think is a fool, a creep or a pain in the ass? Of course not.

Just stop it already.

Yes, Ms. Doub and I ran out to get a pizza for dinner and while we were waiting for it, a bunch of drunken Cub fans waltzed in, one girl sporting a shirt that said "Win or Lose, We Booze!" on the back and, I'm pretty sure was covered in vomit on the front. They were loud, obnoxious, and basically had to be escorted out when Drunky Pukeshirt kept trying to open the office door because she was convinced it was a bathroom.

I don't "hate" real Cub fans, the guys I grew up with who live and breathe baseball as much as I do, they just happen to be Baby Bear lovers, but they know their ****. We have a friendly rivalry, I'll text them "2 of 3 to the Pirates?" and they'll text back "why is your manager having your worst bunter lay down a triple play?" so it's all in good fun. The circus sideshow around the Cubs, though, I don't like very much. I mean, I'm all for having a good time, but a lot of these Johnny Come Lately "Cub" fans are the worst, most vitriol fans out there, they have a complete and total undeserved sense of entitlement and superiority despite the fact they're borderline bandwagon fans for a team that hasn't won jack **** in 102 years. You tell them you're a Sox fan and they basically yell at you that all Sox fans are toothless rednecks who live in the ghetto.

So yeah, **** 'em.

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Yes, Ms. Doub and I ran out to get a pizza for dinner and while we were waiting for it, a bunch of drunken Cub fans waltzed in, one girl sporting a shirt that said "Win or Lose, We Booze!" on the back and, I'm pretty sure was covered in vomit on the front. They were loud, obnoxious, and basically had to be escorted out when Drunky Pukeshirt kept trying to open the office door because she was convinced it was a bathroom.

I don't "hate" real Cub fans, the guys I grew up with who live and breathe baseball as much as I do, they just happen to be Baby Bear lovers, but they know their ****. We have a friendly rivalry, I'll text them "2 of 3 to the Pirates?" and they'll text back "why is your manager having your worst bunter lay down a triple play?" so it's all in good fun. The circus sideshow around the Cubs, though, I don't like very much. I mean, I'm all for having a good time, but a lot of these Johnny Come Lately "Cub" fans are the worst, most vitriol fans out there, they have a complete and total undeserved sense of entitlement and superiority despite the fact they're borderline bandwagon fans for a team that hasn't won jack **** in 102 years. You tell them you're a Sox fan and they basically yell at you that all Sox fans are toothless rednecks who live in the ghetto.

So yeah, **** 'em.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Cub fans. There are some great Cub fans out there, but a ton of miserable Cub "fans." I always say the people who go to Wrigley are by and large not representative of Cub fans as a whole.

PeteWard
04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
This pretty much sums up how I feel about Cub fans. There are some great Cub fans out there, but a ton of miserable Cub "fans." I always say the people who go to Wrigley are by and large not representative of Cub fans as a whole.

Which is why I never worry about attendance. Not that there are not obnoxious drunk jerks at the Cell sometimes, but can you imagine having to be surrounded by the "let's party" types that infest Wrigley? My old time Cub fan friends hate it.

Dan H
04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
A Cub friend of mine now refuses to invest any emotion in the team. He is a serious fan and won't buy into any false optimism. He is in his early 60's and has never seen his favorite team play in the World Series. He has no faith in Ricketts and even less in Hendry.

The announced crowd at the third Pirates game was over 30,000. Not a bad number except it seemed like a lot less with all the empty seats. The crowd noise was hardly deafening when Carlos Pena hit his bases loaded double.

Except for the drunks, the party is over on the North Side. The team needs to produce on the field and I doubt that it will do that. The constant propaganda and the hype won't save them if their losing streak continues.

PatK
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Although Kerry always has seemed like a good guy, I'm wondering why a guy who has a chance to sign with a team that has a good chance to win would sign for a cellar dwellar for a lot less money.

Maybe Cubs players don't care about winning either?

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
My only issue regarding Kerry Wood is that he just might be the most overrated pitcher in the history of Chicago baseball.
Mark Prior.

g0g0
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I have nothing against Wood as a person or a player either. He does seem pretty humble and a nice guy. My only issue regarding Kerry Wood is that he just might be the most overrated pitcher in the history of Chicago baseball. He is held with such reverence by Cub fans and the media as if he was some upper echelon pitcher. I realize that injuries played a part in Wood's demise but there are plenty of "could've been" pitchers who got hurt and never lived up to expecations but aren't held in such high regard. Wood's banner season (2003) finished with a 14W-11L record. He never won more than 14 and only won double digit games in three seasons. He has only pitched over 200 innings twice in his entire career. Wood's career as a relief pitcher has been even less remarkable. However, that didn't stop his return to Wrigley being treated as if Nolan Ryan was coming back to roost. The guy got standing ovations at Ho Ho Kam Park in his first few games back in Mesa. :?: I'll never really understand the fascination. I guess he got tons of mileage out of that 20K game against Houston and that failed playoff run of 2003. The same playoff run where he wet the bed in Game 7 of the NLCS.

Mark Prior.

It's the same with most teams. You don't have to have a first ballot HOF to like the person. Look at half the posts on here that deal with affectionate tones towards average players. For Wood/Prior (IMO), they were the guys who gave Cubs fans some hope after having nothing as far as an ace (Mel Rojas as close as they had lol...yikes) once Maddux left. Sure injuries derailed both careers, but man when they were pitching it was great. Plus Wood played on some bad teams. Sure they made the playoffs in '98, but got swept. So the first 5 years was a bust as far as the people behind him. Even in '03 they were 88-74 in a bad Central.

SOXPHILE
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

That's almost verbatim what happened with me. I was in 8th grade and then a freshman in high school during that 1984 season. Always was a Sox fan, but I didn't hate the Cubs. Things like the upper deck being closed and Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau imploring fans to come to the games and lamenting that it was a shame only about 8K people were at Wrigley on such a lovely summer day were still fresh in my mind. In 1983, this city was on fire with the Sox and "Winnin' Ugly". Suddenly, in 1984, ALL these people who couldn't tell the difference between a baseball and their ass, were suddenly all die hard Cubs fans, walking around with their Cubs painters caps. People who didn't say anything about the Sox run in 1983 or claim to be baseball fans in 1983 were suddenly loud, obnoxious drunken, "Cubs fans", packing the park and the neighborhood. Suddenly, revisionist history was written, and the Cubs were now a historic winning franchise on par with the Yankess, Cardinals and Dodgers.

gobears1987
04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Mark Prior.

People don't talk about Mark Prior the way they do Kerry Wood. Prior is a good name for 2nd most overrated pitcher. I think Prior really could've been something special for the Cubs if he had mechanics that didn't tear his arm apart. I can't help but wonder if Stephen Strasburg will turn out Mark Prior 2.0

DumpJerry
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
The announced crowd at the third Pirates game was over 30,000. Not a bad number except it seemed like a lot less with all the empty seats. The crowd noise was hardly deafening when Carlos Pena hit his bases loaded double.
Tickets sold, not turnstile clicks.

rdwj
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Although Kerry always has seemed like a good guy, I'm wondering why a guy who has a chance to sign with a team that has a good chance to win would sign for a cellar dwellar for a lot less money.

Maybe Cubs players don't care about winning either?

Easy - he's looking out for his future. He's got a life-long paycheck as Cub and is rumored to have been offered a broadcast role when he's ready to retire. Why would he want to risk that? I wouldn't if I were him.

Bob Roarman
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
People don't talk about Mark Prior the way they do Kerry Wood. Prior is a good name for 2nd most overrated pitcher. I think Prior really could've been something special for the Cubs if he had mechanics that didn't tear his arm apart. I can't help but wonder if Stephen Strasburg will turn out Mark Prior 2.0

Overrated is saying he never had the talent in the first place in which he was hyped up to become. Prior had it, it's just that injuries completely derailed his career. Whether they were freak injuries, like that one line drive that nailed him in the elbow, or because of his mechanics, doesn't really factor into it. He could pitch at a Cy Young caliber when he was healthy. Unfortunate really, he could have been something special.

As far as Wood choosing to sign with the Cubs, who aren't looking like they will be doing much, maybe he just likes the Cubs. Unless he's in some real clandestine financial troubles, I'm sure he's not hurting for money, if he was just a little smart in putting his money away for the future his family is fine, he has generational wealth. Maybe he just likes the Cubs, I don't see that as so out of bounds.

VMSNS
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Overrated is saying he never had the talent in the first place in which he was hyped up to become. Prior had it, it's just that injuries completely derailed his career. Whether they were freak injuries, like that one line drive that nailed him in the elbow, or because of his mechanics, doesn't really factor into it. He could pitch at a Cy Young caliber when he was healthy. Unfortunate really, he could have been something special.

As far as Wood choosing to sign with the Cubs, who aren't looking like they will be doing much, maybe he just likes the Cubs. Unless he's in some real clandestine financial troubles, I'm sure he's not hurting for money, if he was just a little smart in putting his money away for the future his family is fine, he has generational wealth. Maybe he just likes the Cubs, I don't see that as so out of bounds.

...hasn't it been rumored that Wood attending Ron Santo's funeral is what inspired him to resign with the Cubs for less money? I'm pretty sure that's what was being reported on The Score a few weeks ago.

Foulke You
04-04-2011, 11:43 PM
It's the same with most teams. You don't have to have a first ballot HOF to like the person. Look at half the posts on here that deal with affectionate tones towards average players.
I agree that you don't have to be a HOFer to like a player. Some of my favorite Sox players were non HOFers like Ron Kittle, Jack McDowell, Freddy Garcia, and obviously Keith Foulke. Kerry Wood is a different matter though. The hype and all out love for the guy seems almost as equal to that of Ryne Sandberg and Ernie Banks. The adoration and perception of Wood has always seemed a little over the top to me. Although I will say that at least Wood seems to have character worthy of being cheered with all the charity work he is involved in, etc.

cub killer
04-05-2011, 12:00 AM
My favorite Kerry Wood memory was watching that white ball against the black night sky after it was hit off the bat of Miguel Cabrera, and on its way to the left field bleachers (or was it Waveland?). It was magical, in the 1st inning of game 7 of the 03 NLCS. A 3-run blast. It was beauty, majestic, poetry in motion...

g0g0
04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
I agree that you don't have to be a HOFer to like a player. Some of my favorite Sox players were non HOFers like Ron Kittle, Jack McDowell, Freddy Garcia, and obviously Keith Foulke. Kerry Wood is a different matter though. The hype and all out love for the guy seems almost as equal to that of Ryne Sandberg and Ernie Banks. The adoration and perception of Wood has always seemed a little over the top to me. Although I will say that at least Wood seems to have character worthy of being cheered with all the charity work he is involved in, etc.

Loved watching Black Jack pitch.

Let me put it this way - if you were a Cubs fan like me, would you want to admire Kerry Wood or Sammy Sosa? :tongue:

Seriously though, you are almost talking about 2 different generations of fans. Ryno came back for a while in like '96 or something, but really a lot of the newer fans never saw him play at the height of his career. So to me they don't have a ton of choices in the last 15 years besides Sosa (no one will claim him now - it's like he's dead lol), Wood, Prior and Zambrano. Our current "superstar" Soriano isn't worth the ink on his contract. :(:

#1swisher
04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
This thread has become an interesting read, to me. So I'll keep it going by posting this, from Kerry Wood.

"It's a little strange seeing empty seats"
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/section/blogs?blogID=business-of-sports&plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&uid=f5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4ad&plckPostId=Blog:f5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost:407a0257-45d8-45f7-a78a-a47e256b77bc&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

PatK
04-05-2011, 02:55 PM
...hasn't it been rumored that Wood attending Ron Santo's funeral is what inspired him to resign with the Cubs for less money? I'm pretty sure that's what was being reported on The Score a few weeks ago.

That's what they've said.

All I know I don't want to hear about what a "competitor" or "gamer" he is when he could have signed with teams that have an actual chance of winning.

Dirty30
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Wood said on the pre-game show yesterday, that the Cubs weren't even on his list of teams he wanted to go to. Then after going to the funeral, where Wood talked to people within the Cubs organization, that convinced him to go to the Cubs.