PDA

View Full Version : Onion: Cubs Can't Believe They're Doing This Again

Ex-Chicagoan
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Classic.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/chicago-cubs-cant-believe-theyre-doing-this-again,19870/

aryzner
04-01-2011, 11:01 AM
That was pretty funny. :D:

LongLiveFisk
04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Good stuff. :lol:

PatK
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM
That's much better than this article

http://chewthemout.com/2011/03/31/late-breaking-news-the-curse-of-the-goat-ends-holdout-signs-new-deal-to-haunt-cubs-in-2011/

The guy writing the article fails to realize that the "Curse of the Billy Goat" didn't start until 1945.

And yes, that's me commenting on the article.

Nellie_Fox
04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
He says "keeping Chicago fans miserable..." when it should say "keeping Cubs fans miserable." There are plenty of Chicago baseball fans who are just fine with the 102 year streak.

guillensdisciple
04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I read that on the way to school this morning and cracked up so hard in front of the Cubs fans riding the yellow and red line.

kittle42
04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
He says "keeping Chicago fans miserable..." when it should say "keeping Cubs fans miserable." There are plenty of Chicago baseball fans who are just fine with the 102 year streak.

Does anyone outside Chicago actually think there are Sox fans here? Even a World Series victory didn't make the rest of the country identify the Sox with Chicago.

People think Chicago sports, they think Bears, Cubs, maybe Bulls. Sad, but IMO true.

guillensdisciple
04-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Does anyone outside Chicago actually think there are Sox fans here? Even a World Series victory didn't make the rest of the country identify the Sox with Chicago.

People think Chicago sports, they think Bears, Cubs, maybe Bulls. Sad, but IMO true.

I'll disagree a tad. The White Sox have gained quite a bit of notoriety since then due to the world series and general popular image. We are a favorite of musicians, certain athletes, and the big one mr. President. Anyone who is serious about sports, and generally speaking, will know who the White Sox are. Hell, we travel extremely well for a team that plays second fiddle to the Cubs in fandom.

pythons007
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
"Every time I walk out to the mound I just assure the guys that at least we will all be dead eventually," Quade continued.

hahahahaa!!!

DumpJerry
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
The first time ever The Onion has written a 100% factual story.

downstairs
04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
"Thanks for ruining a perfectly nice day, *******."

RavenswoodFan
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I saw this this morning on Facebook and it put a huge smile on my face. :)

LongLiveFisk
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I'll disagree a tad. The White Sox have gained quite a bit of notoriety since then due to the world series and general popular image. We are a favorite of musicians, certain athletes, and the big one mr. President. Anyone who is serious about sports, and generally speaking, will know who the White Sox are. Hell, we travel extremely well for a team that plays second fiddle to the Cubs in fandom.

I've always said the Sox hold their own quite well in this city, which is often overlooked. Many teams would probably crumble if they had to share a city with the Cubbie Empire.

Dan H
04-03-2011, 09:05 AM

I get where you're coming from but I have to agree with Kittle42. When I travel and people find out I'm from the Chicago area, I almost immediately hear how they want the opportunity to go to Wrigley. We have a whole media who pushes the Cub propaganda. Mike and Mike of ESPN come here to do a show because of Wrigley. Greenberg talked about how beautiful Wrigley is. Well, in the spring Wrigley isn't beautiful. The vines are brown and many times the sky is dark. And this opening weekend, the Cubs struggle to beat a team that probably doesn't belong in the major leagues. The "Onion" story hit all the right notes.

PeteWard
04-09-2011, 01:03 AM
I've always said the Sox hold their own quite well in this city, which is often overlooked. Many teams would probably crumble if they had to share a city with the Cubbie Empire.

Mods! This guy wrote "Cubbie"! :o:

DSpivack
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I get where you're coming from but I have to agree with Kittle42. When I travel and people find out I'm from the Chicago area, I almost immediately hear how they want the opportunity to go to Wrigley. We have a whole media who pushes the Cub propaganda. Mike and Mike of ESPN come here to do a show because of Wrigley. Greenberg talked about how beautiful Wrigley is. Well, in the spring Wrigley isn't beautiful. The vines are brown and many times the sky is dark. And this opening weekend, the Cubs struggle to beat a team that probably doesn't belong in the major leagues. The "Onion" story hit all the right notes.

I just tell those people they're ignorant morons who've been brainwashed by ESPN.

RadioheadRocks
04-09-2011, 01:27 AM

This same media apparently loves to use photos of Manny Ramirez during his lackluster 23 game tenure with the White Sox while reporting his retirement and his latest 'roid implication:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127229

asindc
04-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Yes, people who follow baseball, mostly, but you might be surprised how much Frank's career and 2005 did for the national appeal of the Sox.