PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye retires.

SephClone89
03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/jermaine-dye-to-retire.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks for the memories, JD.

soltrain21
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
You made some bad choices last year, friendo.

KenBerryGrab
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you, JD! We don't have a trophy without you!

doublem23
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks for being a man of your word and all the memories, JD.

asindc
03-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for being a man of your word and all the memories, JD.

This. And one year later, he was named World Series MVP. Now that is how you get rewarded for doing the honorable thing.

gobears1987
03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
He was amazing in 2005 and put up a few good seasons for the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
A class act, thank you so much for 2005!

AnkleSox
03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Without Dye the White Sox could be looking at 94 seasons of futility.

Not a Hall of Fame player but will rightfully go down as a White Sox Legend.

guillensdisciple
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Loved him as a White Sox and a baseball player. Thanks for everything JD :D

MrT27
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I will always love JD but I will never understand him not deciding to play last year. I'm watching the Brewers game as we speak and they have *gasp* Mark Kotsay in right field. You would think JD could have easily had the starting RF job over him.

spawn
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Always a stand up guy. Thanks JD for everything you did in a Sox uniform, especially 2005. :tiphat: :gulp:

eriqjaffe
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I will always love JD but I will never understand him not deciding to play last year. I'm watching the Brewers game as we speak and they have *gasp* Mark Kotsay in right field. You would think JD could have easily had the starting RF job over him.He looked so bad at the plate and in the field the second half of 2009 (and in the field for longer) that nobody was willing to have him start for them last year. A year away from the game isn't going to make him any better or younger, unfortunately.

That being said, it's a shame his career ended the way it did, but he ultimately went out his way, and wasn't willing to accept less than what he was asking for.

konerko 14
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for 2005 Jermaine, always fun watching you play.

whitem0nkey
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
05WS MVP

:gulp:

GoGoCrede
03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Oh my goodness! I must be very much out of the loop because while I knew he turned down offers last year, I was sure he was going to try and make a go of it this year.

Thank you for it all, Dye.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Wish him all the best. Good player for the Sox.

Lip

Red Barchetta
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I will always love JD but I will never understand him not deciding to play last year. I'm watching the Brewers game as we speak and they have *gasp* Mark Kotsay in right field. You would think JD could have easily had the starting RF job over him.

I agree. A good player who had a great season and post-season in 2005. Our WS MVP.

I think he had at least 2-3 seasons left if he would of least accepted a part-time DH role in the AL.

Falstaff
03-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I am hoping JD was smart with his earnings.
You hear so many stories how pro athletes go bankrupt
a few years out of the game. I guess he can always sell
the trophy if needed, but seriously, I hope he made good
$$ decisions while still had income. Seems like he was counting
too much on making bank last year tho.... Awesome memories
and performance as white sox RF, thanks.

soxnut1018
03-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for everything JD!

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/jermaine-dye-chicago-white-sox-world-series-autographed-photograph-mvp-inscription-3392286.jpg

Soxcess
03-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Jermaine Dye was one helluva player his first two years with the Sox in 2005 and 2006. I was pissed that Magglio left when I was younger and didn't understand as much about baseball, but when I heard we signed him I felt pretty good about it. Sure enough, less than a year later he is helping us hoist the World Series trophy and making the fanbase forget about Maggs.

To one helluva player, have fun in retirement JD!

XplodingScorbord
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Hope we see him back on the South Side at some point, whether as a broadcaster, coach of some kind, or team ambassador. Seems like a good guy, and he'll always be one of my faves.

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Such a shame he didn't play last year.

Thanks for the most important RBI in Sox history, Jermaine!

soxfan26
03-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the most important RBI in Sox history, Jermaine!

+1

All the best JD!

thomas35forever
03-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the memories, Jermaine. You'll never be forgotten with us.

Daver
03-31-2011, 09:53 PM
I agree. A good player who had a great season and post-season in 2005. Our WS MVP.

Joe Crede was the MVP of the 2005 World Series.

sox1970
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM

Big time.

Could make an argument ALCS too.

VenturaFan23
03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the memories, JD!

fisk4ever
03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
One of the quiet people who did his job well. I wish him only the best.

Nelfox02
03-31-2011, 11:34 PM
sorta of a jerk off the field on the several occassions I met him, but gave great effort on the field for Sox and will forever be part of our history and fond memories

thanks JD

GlassSox
04-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks JD and best of luck.

twinslayer
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
He played hard every day and didn't hear much complaining. It was a pleasure to watch him!!

soxstarter
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Truly a pro on the field and will always hold a place in White Sox history.

flo-B-flo
04-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Wish him all the best. Good player for the Sox.

Lip

Thanks for everything JD.........

SOXSINCE'70
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Favorite Jermaine Dye regular season memories:

1. Homering to tie a game against the Tribe in April,2005.
2. Homering off Brendan Donnelly to defeat the Halos 5-4 (May,2005)
3. 2 long center field bombs off Josh Beckett (2006)
4. A bomb to left off Joe Nathan (2006).

Mohoney
04-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Awesome job pissing on Jermaine Dye's thread.

FACT: Jermaine Dye WON the World Series MVP award in 2005. Just because you think something to be true doesn't mean it is true.

rdwj
04-02-2011, 12:22 AM

No, he wasn't (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_World_Series).

Boondock Saint
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
No, he wasn't (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_World_Series).

JD won the award. Crede was most valuable. By far.

NardiWasHere
04-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Him turning down offers from multiple teams last year because they didn't meet his outrageous contract demands changed my opinion of him.

But yeah, he had some good years on the team.

doublem23
04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Him turning down offers from multiple teams last year because they didn't meet his outrageous contract demands changed my opinion of him.

But yeah, he had some good years on the team.

What? Plenty of guys towards the end of their career make huge salary demands. Jermaine's had a long, successful MLB career that netted him approximately $75 M. If he was able to manage his money wisely, then he wouldn't need to play for the paychecks. Can't blame an old vet for not wanting to play in a less than ideal situation for less money than he wants. I would think at that point in his life, he'd be playing for the sheer fun of it, not trying to make ends meet.

kufram
04-02-2011, 01:09 PM
What? Plenty of guys towards the end of their career make huge salary demands. Jermaine's had a long, successful MLB career that netted him approximately $75 M. If he was able to manage his money wisely, then he wouldn't need to play for the paychecks. Can't blame an old vet for not wanting to play in a less than ideal situation for less money than he wants. I would think at that point in his life, he'd be playing for the sheer fun of it, not trying to make ends meet.

I agree.

On the wsmvp dump on this thread, the 2005 WS was won by a real team effort. I don't care who got that award. JD deserved it as much as anyone, though.

NardiWasHere
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM

If I wasn't playing for the $ and just for the fun of it, I think I'd want to come back to the Sox or sign with TB to be a DH/OF. Didn't he turn down those offers because he wanted big money and play RF everyday?

Ultimately its his decision. At the end of his career he definitely has the right to pick and choose his situation. I'm not arguing that.

My gripe was that he seemed to want to play somewhere but he refused to accept the market for an aging corner outfielder who came off a horrible second half. I would have thought he would want another shot at a title and to prove he had something left in the tank. Apparently he didn't. That disappointed me.

sullythered
04-03-2011, 02:46 AM
If I wasn't playing for the $ and just for the fun of it, I think I'd want to come back to the Sox or sign with TB to be a DH/OF. Didn't he turn down those offers because he wanted big money and play RF everyday?

Ultimately its his decision. At the end of his career he definitely has the right to pick and choose his situation. I'm not arguing that.

My gripe was that he seemed to want to play somewhere but he refused to accept the market for an aging corner outfielder who came off a horrible second half. I would have thought he would want another shot at a title and to prove he had something left in the tank. Apparently he didn't. That disappointed me.
JD had nothing to prove. He wanted to play only in an ideal situation, which is totally reasonable. It's his life, and he's a grown up. It's pretty meatballish to see it differently.

doublem23
04-03-2011, 05:23 AM

I don't know, its possible that he really did completely misread the market, but I think it's more likely that he realistically looked at his options and decided that he'd maybe be better off physically and financially by not playing. Who knows what he could have been up to these past few years, but these ex-ballplayers can usually make some decent coin doing public appearances or being a part of coaching clinics or even starting up a completely non-baseball business.

I'm guessing at his age and with his wealth, he probably just figured that he didn't want to go through the 162-game grind again unless he found a team willing to give him exactly what he wanted, and when no one was willing to do that, he simply moved on with his life. I personally think he would have looked a lot more desperate had he come out with those high demands but then accepted a smaller contract or signed with one of those independent league teams. I think he came off as a guy who knew exactly what he wanted, wasn't willing to compromise, and was fine with just moving on if he couldn't find it. Not really any shame in that.

tick53
04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you, JD! We don't have a trophy without you!

I couldn't have said it any better myself...Thanks JD! Enjoy retirement

ShooterMcGavin
04-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Dye's stubborn attitude kept him out of MLB prematurely. He could have played in 2010, but he overvalued his talents and worth.

Gavin
04-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for 2005 and 2006. Not going to give him any credit for being a whiny baby about money. What a douche.

doublem23
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for 2005 and 2006. Not going to give him any credit for being a whiny baby about money. What a douche.

:rolleyes:

Not everyone's goal in life is just to make as much money as possible. He didn't find the fit he wanted, so he just stayed at home and slept on the pile of cash he had already made.

Frankly, it drips of pathetic jealousy for people to get this up in arms over how another man manages his finances. I get that any of us would be ecstatic to play baseball for the Major League minimum, but Jermaine Dye's not a regular person.

sullythered
04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Not everyone's goal in life is just to make as much money as possible. He didn't find the fit he wanted, so he just stayed at home and slept on the pile of cash he had already made.

Frankly, it drips of pathetic jealousy for people to get this up in arms over how another man manages his finances. I get that any of us would be ecstatic to play baseball for the Major League minimum, but Jermaine Dye's not a regular person.

This x a million.

And Jermaine Dye is not a douche. He's a nice guy.

NardiWasHere
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
JD had nothing to prove. He wanted to play only in an ideal situation, which is totally reasonable. It's his life, and he's a grown up. It's pretty meatballish to see it differently.

No one is arguing that he had to play against his own will.

I would have thought he was the type of guy who would have wanted to win another ring. He obviously wasn't because he had multiple chances with multiple teams who made him offers.

I wanted to see him play another year. He wanted a paycheck he wasn't worth.

That turned me off a little. He was a good player who could have been great without injuries and he left baseball a year or so too early.

What is "meatball" about that assessment?

sullythered
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
No one is arguing that he had to play against his own will.

I would have thought he was the type of guy who would have wanted to win another ring. He obviously wasn't because he had multiple chances with multiple teams who made him offers.

I wanted to see him play another year. He wanted a paycheck he wasn't worth.

That turned me off a little. He was a good player who could have been great without injuries and he left baseball a year or so too early.

What is "meatball" about that assessment?
The belief that if a guy doesn't have a burning desire to get another ring somehow lessens him as a person is absurd.

It clearly wasn't just about the money. It was about weighing the pros and cons of the rigors of baseball season against the potential rewards. The cons outweighed the pros, with the offers he got. That's all.

skobabe8
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Not even quiet, humble Jermaine Dye is immune to message board fury.

The guy is at a point where he doesnt have to sign with anyone if its not a right move for him and his family. He can retire and feel pretty good about what he's accomplished. That's all there is to it.

NardiWasHere
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
The belief that if a guy doesn't have a burning desire to get another ring somehow lessens him as a person is absurd.

It clearly wasn't just about the money. It was about weighing the pros and cons of the rigors of baseball season against the potential rewards. The cons outweighed the pros, with the offers he got. That's all.

Obviously... Someone choosing to not play a game does not make them a lesser person. I don't think anyone is questioning his value as a human being.

At the same time, it is totally understandable for someone to form an opinion about his decision. I disappointed me on a personal/selfish level that I didn't get to see him play for one more year. I also find it more enjoyable to root for guys who are motivated primarily by winning. By all accounts he decided that the title of "starting RFer" and a big contract was more important than being a DH/OFer, being paid according to the market, and a chance to win another championship.

It doesn't make him a bad person but it can certainly affect my thoughts on his career, especially when he formally retires. If you can't form opinions and discuss Jermaine Dye's decision to cut his career short when he announces his retirement, when can you?

The guy had a few good/great years on the Sox. Awesome. Is that all we are allowed to say without being idiots? I don't think I'm a meathead because I'm critical of one career decision he made.

Also....

I don't think there would be anyone criticizing him if he retired after the last year he played. However, his actions indicated that he did want to play. He fielded offers. He negotiated for a better offer. Its a little disingenuous to say he retired because of his family duties. If the Sox said they thought he was still able to play the field on an everyday basis and offered big money he would have taken it. The guy had an inflated sense of his worth. Its completely fair to criticize him for that.

sullythered
04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Obviously... Someone choosing to not play a game does not make them a lesser person. I don't think anyone is questioning his value as a human being.

At the same time, it is totally understandable for someone to form an opinion about his decision. I disappointed me on a personal/selfish level that I didn't get to see him play for one more year. I also find it more enjoyable to root for guys who are motivated primarily by winning. By all accounts he decided that the title of "starting RFer" and a big contract was more important than being a DH/OFer, being paid according to the market, and a chance to win another championship.

It doesn't make him a bad person but it can certainly affect my thoughts on his career, especially when he formally retires. If you can't form opinions and discuss Jermaine Dye's decision to cut his career short when he announces his retirement, when can you?

The guy had a few good/great years on the Sox. Awesome. Is that all we are allowed to say without being idiots? I don't think I'm a meathead because I'm critical of one career decision he made.
In this thread, JD has been refered to as a "douche," "jerk," and "whiny baby."

That's meatball behavior. Discussion about his decision (while none of us likely know his actual motivation) is reasonable. Though I disagree that it should effect our perspective of what he did on the field.

NardiWasHere
04-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Discussion about his decision (while none of us likely know his actual motivation) is reasonable. Though I disagree that it should effect our perspective of what he did on the field.

Dye choosing to cut his career short should factor in to a discussion about his retirement.

It doesn't discount the positive things he accomplished but it deserves to be mentioned.

kufram
04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
In this thread, JD has been refered to as a "douche," "jerk," and "whiny baby."

That's meatball behavior. Discussion about his decision (while none of us likely know his actual motivation) is reasonable. Though I disagree that it should effect our perspective of what he did on the field.

Meatball is a pretty good description for name-callers. It's indefensible and says more about the poster than it does about the subject.

joegraz
04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm guessing at his age and with his wealth, he probably just figured that he didn't want to go through the 162-game grind again unless he found a team willing to give him exactly what he wanted, and when no one was willing to do that, he simply moved on with his life. I personally think he would have looked a lot more desperate had he come out with those high demands but then accepted a smaller contract or signed with one of those independent league teams. I think he came off as a guy who knew exactly what he wanted, wasn't willing to compromise, and was fine with just moving on if he couldn't find it. Not really any shame in that.

Amen.

doublem23
04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Dye choosing to cut his career short should factor in to a discussion about his retirement.

And you're making the unsubstantiated assumption that JD sat around and stewed for months that no one picked him up. How do we know he wasn't fine with moving on in his life, but open to playing 1-2 more years for the right fit? At his point in his career, both professionally and financially, he's allowed to have the flexibility to make demands and if they're not met, just move on. When I was unemployed last summer, I turned down 2 job offers because they were the wrong fit and I had the luxury of waiting for the right offer to come along. It happens. I'm sure JD would have loved to have played again, but I can understand why he was unwilling to play for less than he felt he was worth or play in a situation he didn't like.

I don't remember him ever going on the radio or to the media and blast any teams for not signing him. He just quietly moved on with his life. IMO, a perfectly classy way for a classy guy to end his baseball career.

Gavin
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
How do we know he wasn't fine with moving on in his life, but open to playing 1-2 more years for the right fit

Because he was complaining about how he wanted to play (not "open to" playing) but that he just wasn't getting the money he felt he deserved. You're rewriting history if you think he was going for the 1-2 years/right fit approach. He wanted to get paid.

"When you get offers from a lot of teams that are in the $1 million range, that's a negative in itself, no matter what," Dye, 36, said. "I definitely want to play. I'm working out, staying in shape and just wait for the right situation."

"Right situation" = more than the "$1 million range"

Every day I would say most people in the world feel like they are underpaid and undervalued where they work but they suck it up anyway. I don't think JD deserves some sort of special recognition and praise for being wealthy and stable enough to tell teams he's not going to work for them unless it's under his terms. That's his decision, but it doesn't make him a hero for stubbornly overvaluing himself out of a job. If he had wanted to play that bad, he could've sucked it up worked to prove he was worth more... he was the architect of his own demise.

NardiWasHere
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Because he was complaining about how he wanted to play (not "open to" playing) but that he just wasn't getting the money he felt he deserved. You're rewriting history if you think he was going for the 1-2 years/right fit approach. He wanted to get paid.

Exactly. People are looking through rose colored glasses. Just because he was on the World Series team doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

The man wanted big money and a guarantee that he would play the field everyday. This is supported by all the reports and evidence.

He refused to meet teams at his market price in order to win another championship. I know for a fact both the Sox and Rays wanted him. The Cubs and other teams also made offers.

As a result he quit playing baseball too early.

I don't carry an absolute allegiance to players who spent a handful of seasons here. I enjoyed him. He left. He made a decision not to play again. I think that decision was stupid and fueled by stubbornness.

MikeW
04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Good Luck JD,thanks for making my dreams come true. I'll have 2005 forever.

sullythered
04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Exactly. People are looking through rose colored glasses. Just because he was on the World Series team doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

The man wanted big money and a guarantee that he would play the field everyday. This is supported by all the reports and evidence.

He refused to meet teams at his market price in order to win another championship. I know for a fact both the Sox and Rays wanted him. The Cubs and other teams also made offers.

As a result he quit playing baseball too early.

I don't carry an absolute allegiance to players who spent a handful of seasons here. I enjoyed him. He left. He made a decision not to play again. I think that decision was stupid and fueled by stubbornness.

You have no idea what his decision was fueled by.

Like I said, he only wanted to play in an ideal situation. There's nothing wrong with that.

asindc
04-04-2011, 10:03 PM

"Right situation" = more than the "$1 million range"

Every day I would say most people in the world feel like they are underpaid and undervalued where they work but they suck it up anyway. I don't think JD deserves some sort of special recognition and praise for being wealthy and stable enough to tell teams he's not going to work for them unless it's under his terms. That's his decision, but it doesn't make him a hero for stubbornly overvaluing himself out of a job. If he had wanted to play that bad, he could've sucked it up worked to prove he was worth more... he was the architect of his own demise.

The issue isn't whether it makes him a hero (no one is arguing that), but whether it makes him less than noble, which is what at least one person is arguing, partly based on conjecture, it seems. He knew what he wanted, didn't get it, and retired. I see nothing about that that makes him less than noble. He just wanted to play on his terms, nothing less. That's all.

Brian26
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
And Jermaine Dye is not a douche. He's a nice guy.

None of us really know what Jermaine Dye is like off the field and if he's a "nice guy", although there are a couple of things I know that aren't favorable to him in that respect.

I respect him for coming here at the end of '04 after the handshake agreement and subsequent better offer from Arizona. He played well above my expectations of him in 2005 and 2006. I enjoyed his stay on the Sox.

I don't know if he's a nice guy, and there's no point in debating that.

IronFisk
04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Ideal situation or not, I'm betting he'll be regretting this hold out as the years go by. He should have realized his diminished skills and respected the marketplace.

Anyhow, thx JD for the memories and hardware...without you, very little of each.

sullythered
04-05-2011, 02:59 AM
None of us really know what Jermaine Dye is like off the field and if he's a "nice guy", although there are a couple of things I know that aren't favorable to him in that respect.

I respect him for coming here at the end of '04 after the handshake agreement and subsequent better offer from Arizona. He played well above my expectations of him in 2005 and 2006. I enjoyed his stay on the Sox.

I don't know if he's a nice guy, and there's no point in debating that.

I've met the dude a few times, and actually hung out with him at a bar once. He's a nice guy.

BringHomeDaBacon
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
JD is a class act. So glad he brought his big bat to the South Side.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

DirtySox
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Sickels posted a career profile of Jermaine Dye for those that are interested:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/4/2090561/career-profile-jermaine-dye

asindc
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Sickels posted a career profile of Jermaine Dye for those that are interested:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/4/2090561/career-profile-jermaine-dye

No mention of his 2006 season. Curious omissioin.

DirtySox
04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
No mention of his 2006 season. Curious omissioin.

His peak seasons were 2000 (.321/.390/.561, 135 OPS+, WAR 4.3) and 2006 (.315/.385/.622, OPS+151, WAR 3.4).

And this career profile is from a scouting/statistical standpoint obviously.

asindc
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
And this career profile is from a scouting/statistical standpoint obviously.

Missed that. Thanks.

October26
04-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Thank you, Jermaine Dye, for everything you did while wearing a White Sox uniform - and most especially for your game-winning single that drove in Willie Harris in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series on 10.26.05. I will never forget you. Enjoy your retirement.

PalehosePlanet
04-07-2011, 01:48 AM
You'll always have a special place in my heart JD. Thanks for everything and enjoy your retirement.