PDA

View Full Version : Brewers looking to moving spring training to Florida?

Fenway
03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Officials in both Winter Haven and Ft Myers are courting the Brewers who have signaled they want out of Arizona.

Ft Myers has an 18 year old complex now vacant and Winter Haven says they will build a new park.

Washington also being courted.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/30/red_sox_leave_city_of_palms_park_behind_memories_o n_mind/

ComiskeyBrewer
03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Wouldn't shock me. Maryvale Park is kind of a dump(but only a 14 year old stadium). It's in a bad neighborhood(or, atleast not a nice one), and the Brewers could easily do better.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Does the Crew want out of Arizona or out of Maryvale?

jdm2662
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Wouldn't shock me. Maryvale Park is kind of a dump(but only a 14 year old stadium). It's in a bad neighborhood(or, atleast not a nice one), and the Brewers could easily do better.

I saw the Sox in Maryvale last year. I also have a friend that lives in the Phoenix area and doesn't have too many nice things to say about Maryvale. I didn't think the park was terrible, though. It wasn't as nice as Camelback, but that's a brand new stadium.

ChiSoxGirl
03-31-2011, 07:01 PM

I saw the Sox in Maryvale last year. I also have a friend that lives in the Phoenix area and doesn't have too many nice things to say about Maryvale. I didn't think the park was terrible, though. It wasn't as nice as Camelback, but that's a brand new stadium.

I agree with the bolded statements. Back in '08 when I came out to San Diego for Spring Break to visit my uncle, we drove to Arizona to catch some Spring Training ball and saw the Sox/Mariners in Peoria and the Brewers/Dodgers in Maryvale. I remember driving to Maryvale and thinking that it was a shady-looking neighborhood. If I remember correctly, there were some homeless dudes perusing the streets around the ballpark, as well. The ballpark itself was alright. I went and sat on the berm in the outfield for a few innings to soak up some sun and it was nice, but the area surrounding the ballpark is not good.

Fenway
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Does the Crew want out of Arizona or out of Maryvale?

Little of both - The Brewers feel like afterthoughts in Arizona. That said they can choose to be the only game in Winter Haven or share Ft Myers with Boston and the Twins.

There is NOTHING wrong with the complex the Red Sox vacated - but the new one by the airport is going to be over the top.

Red Barchetta
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Little of both - The Brewers feel like afterthoughts in Arizona. That said they can choose to be the only game in Winter Haven or share Ft Myers with Boston and the Twins.

There is NOTHING wrong with the complex the Red Sox vacated - but the new one by the airport is going to be over the top.

The Red Sox tried getting Sarasota to build them an entirely new complex, however that deal landed with a big thud in the city council. Instead, the Orioles happily moved into the newly renovated Ed Smith Stadium. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a ST game vs. the Phillies and it is very nice. I wish the SOX still trained here. :(:

One thing I find really cool about Florida's Grapefruit league is that many of the ballparks are built within neighborhoods or neighborhoods have been built around the ballparks.

PeteWard
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I wish the SOX still trained here. :(:

One thing I find really cool about Florida's Grapefruit league is that many of the ballparks are built within neighborhoods or neighborhoods have been built around the ballparks.

Me, too. I saw the Sox play NYY and Cincy there during spring break of 79. Harry broadcast both games from the stands --one row in front of me for the Cincy game. Good memories.

RockJock07
04-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Being a former resident of Vero Beach I'd love to see the crew move into what was Dodgertown. Holman stadium is very small but something could be worked out.

Vero Beach and baseball just go together, a company is using Dodgertown now to help traveling/college/high school teams train.

AZChiSoxFan
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
This doesn't surprise me at all. The AZ Republic had an article earlier this year that they wanted a new stadium. Unfortunately for them, the state funding mechanism that built most of the Cactus League stadiums, has now expired and no longer exists. They don't draw very well, so I don't see any way the city of Phx or state of AZ pays any money to build them a new stadium.

And yes, the current stadium they have is in a very shady part of town.