PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "experts" predictions

chisox123
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Jim Caple givin' the Sox some love. Kinda hard to see that in the sea of love for the Red Sox though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

soltrain21
03-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Jim Caple givin' the Sox some love. Kinda hard to see that in the sea of love for the Red Sox though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview/2011/news/story?page=11expertpicks

Well, the Red Sox should be pretty good this year. And by pretty good I mean the best team in the league.

PatK
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Jim Caple is soooo fired

Marqhead
03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Well, the Red Sox should be pretty good this year. And by pretty good I mean the best team in the league.

Yeah it's completely justified this year, I see them as the team to beat as well.

Lot of love for the White Sox though, seems about over half of the writers are picking them to win the Central.

Chez
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah it's completely justified this year, I see them as the team to beat as well.

Lot of love for the White Sox though, seems about over half of the writers are picking them to win the Central.

I counted 32 of 45 ESPN "experts" picked the White Sox to win the Central. I thought they were all morons and that we were supposed to hate everything about that network.

manders_01
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Well if these predictions (and the ones in the WSI thread) turn out to come true, I will be dropping a lot of cash come fall on AL Central and NL West Championship merchandise. I'm okay with that though I'd prefer to spend it on NL Champion and WS Champion gear! :wink:

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
On paper the Red Sox have the best team in the AL, but I would think a couple of good lefties could shut down their lineup especially coming out of the pen. It's nice to see that they like the White Sox for this year, but it seems like every time we are expected to do well we disappoint and I am still not convinced the Sox have overcome their phobia of the Twins.

Foulke You
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
...I would think a couple of good lefties could shut down their lineup...
:burly:Danks:
"You Rang?"

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
:burly:Danks:
"You Rang?"

I can't believe someone has a pic of buehrle in a sox uniform when he was only 11 years old. Wasn't he a cards fan at that age??

Soxfest
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
East coast lovefest 101.

SephClone89
03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
East coast lovefest 101.

When the Phillies and Red Sox look to be clear favourites in each league, it kind of makes sense.

Just saying.

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
When the Phillies and Red Sox look to be clear favourites in each league, it kind of makes sense.

Just saying.I've seen some "experts" picking the Braves to win the NL East, and Philly the wild card.

bridgeportcopper
03-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Just saying.

I agree, but, it appears people are falling out of love with the Phillies by the day. With the injuries to Rollins & Utley, not much to protect Howard.

SephClone89
03-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I've seen some "experts" picking the Braves to win the NL East, and Philly the wild card.

I agree, but, it appears people are falling out of love with the Phillies by the day. With the injuries to Rollins & Utley, not much to protect Howard.

Indeed. The consensus seems to be that the Phillies in the playoffs will be an unstoppable force...but they might have a fight to get there first.

JermaineDye05
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Boston's lineup is insane, but I'm not sold on their pitching come the post-season. I think the White Sox, and even the A's, who I pick to win the AL West, could really match-up well with Boston. We cannot forget the defending champs out in SF either.

It's not always the best lineup that wins.

It's almost certainly ONE of the best (if not the best) pitching staffs that wins.

bridgeportcopper
03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
CBS "experts" all have Sox winning Central.......
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/14875265

palehozenychicty
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Boston's lineup is insane, but I'm not sold on their pitching come the post-season. I think the White Sox, and even the A's, who I pick to win the AL West, could really match-up well with Boston. We cannot forget the defending champs out in SF either.

It's not always the best lineup that wins.

It's almost certainly ONE of the best (if not the best) pitching staffs that wins.

Reason one why I don't buy the Red Sox flag-waving. Other than Lester, their starters are not a given. Buchholz was good, but this year teams will make adjustments. Their bullpen other than Bard is also an uncertainty. They really don't have much confidence in Papelbon anymore.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
The Sporting News picks the White Sox to win the division also.

Lip

asindc
03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
From CNNSI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/03/29/expert.picks/index.html?eref=sihp

asindc
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
From MSNBC:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/30/and-now-the-hardballtalk-staff-predictions/related

PatK
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Let's not forget that Lidge is out, making Jose Contreras the closer.

palehozenychicty
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Let's not forget that Lidge is out, making Jose Contreras the closer.

A lot of folks actually feel the Sox will win the division. I think a good body by Jake takes them farther.

The Phillies will be good, but their lineup got older, not better.

Corlose 15
03-30-2011, 05:19 PM
I understand the idea that the Red Sox are the best looking team in the AL but it seems like every year there is one team that all the experts fall in love with and they usually don't win the World Series. 95% of the experts picking Red Sox Phillies seems pretty unimaginative.

As for the Phillies, it's a very left handed lineup with Rollins having an injury history, Utley being injured, and Ryan Howard coming off a down year.

SephClone89
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike Wilbon just picked the Sox to win the AL.

SOXSINCE'70
03-30-2011, 05:35 PM

A lifelong sCrUBS fan picked the White Sox? :o::o:
Please, no White Sox covers of SI. PLEASE!!!!:praying:

Just remembering when Kerry Wood made the cover of the 2004 baseball preview issue.No bad omens (or Ohmans) needed this year.

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
A lifelong sCrUBS fan picked the White Sox? :o::o:
Please, no White Sox covers of SI. PLEASE!!!!:praying:

Just remembering when Kerry Wood made the cover of the 2004 baseball preview issue.No bad omens (or Ohmans) needed this year.

Nothing as badass as this one:

cws05champ
03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
It makes me nervous that everyone is picking us.....just saying.

03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
It makes me nervous that everyone is picking us.....just saying.

Why? It's not like they all have mystical powers

FielderJones
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM

No kidding. It's disappointing to see Sox fans believing in things like jinxes and curses. That's for another franchise's fans, not us.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2011, 07:47 AM
On "Morning Joe," Barnicle picked the Braves because he believes the Phillies are beset with injuries.

SOXSINCE'70
03-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Nothing as badass as this one:

A memorable cover!

SOXSINCE'70
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM

How about "tiger blood" or "Adonis DNA" ??:D:

VenturaFan23
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
MLB Network AL Predictions show, only Sean Casey picked the Sox to win the Central. The others picked Detroit.

cws05champ
03-31-2011, 10:26 AM
No kidding. It's disappointing to see Sox fans believing in things like jinxes and curses. That's for another franchise's fans, not us.
It's quite a leap to say I believe in Jinxes or curses because I'm nervous that people would be picking us. two completely different things.

russ99
03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
On "Morning Joe," Barnicle picked the Braves because he believes the Phillies are beset with injuries.

I don't understand all the picks for the Braves, especially the ones thinking they're going to the Series.

No Bobby Cox = adjustment period. Plus they have 2 rookies splitting time at closer, their rotation is good but not stellar, a rookie 1B, not to mention the 39 year old holding down 3B...

I see the Marlins beating out the Braves this year, but the Phils have just too much good starting pitching for both of them.

downstairs
03-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Saw that. I know he's a Cubs fan, but I love how he always calls his own station out on East Coast bias. I actually saw that coming... but its not a bad pick in my opinion!