PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Hitter ever

Dadawg_77
07-05-2002, 06:26 PM
This is based Baseball-Refrence top 15 players in OPS.
Who is the best hitter of all time?

Notice that a 6 out 15 played in 90s.

TornLabrum
07-05-2002, 06:34 PM
It has to be either Ruth or Williams, and I'll have to go with Ruth since he accomplished what he did after several years as a pitcher. Williams is the best I ever saw, though. Ruth would tell you that the best he ever saw was Joe Jackson.

Spiff
07-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Hahaha

Jeff Bagwell?

Manny Ramirez?

ode to veeck
07-05-2002, 06:43 PM
you're missing some leading candidates here, where's josh gibson? several others

Mathew
07-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
you're missing some leading candidates here, where's josh gibson? several others

:hitless

what about me?

ode to veeck
07-05-2002, 06:47 PM
taking the top 15 OPS doesn't give you a good list of candidates for "best hitter of all time" yes these guys were great, but so were willie mays, ty cobb, etc

ruth pitched his early years but ted williams missed 5 years out of his prime over two separate periods and was still the best hitter in baseball when he came back both times, tough call

WinningUgly!
07-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Ty Cobb!!!!!!
11,434 AB's (5th all-time)
.366 lifetime batting average (1st all-time)
Struck out 357 times in 24 seasons.
Had 3 .400+ seasons.

baggio202
07-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Ty Cobb!!!!!!
11,434 AB's (5th all-time)
.366 lifetime batting average (1st all-time)
Struck out 357 times in 24 seasons.
Had 3 .400+ seasons.

ty cobb, tris speaker, joe jackson....some of those guys have to make the list...atleast be a candidate..what about guys like rod carew and george brett???

HawkDJ
07-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Maybe not the best hitter ever (but close), I'm a firm believer that Willie Mays was the greatest all around player ever. Sammy Sosa in a close second. Mays was the best in the five tools.

(That inspired me to make a new sig!)

idseer
07-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Maybe not the best hitter ever (but close), I'm a firm believer that Willie Mays was the greatest all around player ever. Sammy Sosa in a close second. Mays was the best in the five tools.

(That inspired me to make a new sig!)

i believe mantle was faster than mays, stronger than mays, had a better arm than mays, was a better pure hitter than mays, and was more clutch than mays! there was nothing mays could do better than mantle.
it's just unfortunate mantle wasted his playing days screwing around instead of taking care of his health.

my opinion anyway.

but ted was still the best hitter i ever saw and i believe the best of all time.

TheBigHurt
07-05-2002, 11:11 PM
I will always say the Babe. I dont think no one could ever surpass him

LongDistanceFan
07-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It has to be either Ruth or Williams, and I'll have to go with Ruth since he accomplished what he did after several years as a pitcher. Williams is the best I ever saw, though. Ruth would tell you that the best he ever saw was Joe Jackson. i would agree with joe jackson............ but since i have to make a choice........... willie mays or ruth........

btw, i been meaning to ask you, have you ever play this game professional? in some of your post, your insight is amazing.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Six out of 15 being from the 90's has nothing to do with the fact that a superball has nothing on the current MLB baseball.

doublem23
07-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Yeah, there are definitely a couple I'd take over the likes of Bagwell and Ramirez...

Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Nap Lajoie (sp?) and there are probably some more.

But, I understand why Da_Dawg chose who he chose. Statistical data is the only real way to get candidates for this question, seeing as if he had just picked his own Top 15, he'd be blasted by everyone and their mother for leaving someone off.

Still, I think the greatest hitter ever debate probably lies within Babe Ruth, Ted Williams (my personal pick), Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, and Joe DiMaggio.

voodoochile
07-06-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Six out of 15 being from the 90's has nothing to do with the fact that a superball has nothing on the current MLB baseball.

There has also been a big dilution of the pitching pool...

Off the top of my head?

Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Aaron, Mays, Dimaggio. That's as narrow as I can get the list. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Ruth... or Williams... or... nevermind...