PDA

View Full Version : 7-day DL for concussions announced

jdm2662
03-29-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-mlb-institutes-7day-dl-for-concussions-20110329,0,6994892.story

Marqhead
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Justin Morneau's been on this for like 30 straight weeks now.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Justin Morneau's been on this for like 30 straight weeks now.

His is especially severe and likely magnified by the fact Morneau has admitted to having several previous concussions.

I think this is for the guys who get their bell rung, but don't want to sit for 2 straight weeks. You probably should take 2-3 days off if you get hit in the head.

Marqhead
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
His is especially severe and likely magnified by the fact Morneau has admitted to having several previous concussions.

I think this is for the guys who get their bell rung, but don't want to sit for 2 straight weeks. You probably should take 2-3 days off if you get hit in the head.

I guess my point was that each case should be treated individually, if the guy needs more than 7 days he should definitely take it since this is a serious injury. I don't want players thinking that because 7 days is the minimum that's all they have to sit for.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I guess my point was that each case should be treated individually, if the guy needs more than 7 days he should definitely take it since this is a serious injury. I don't want players thinking that because 7 days is the minimum that's all they have to sit for.

Right, and I think this aides the ability of players and trainers to treat each case individually. How many concussed players do you think played through it because there was no alternative to sitting on the DL for 2 weeks? If a player has a concussion as serious as Morneau's, that's what the 15 and 60-day DLs are for. But now, if a guy gets his clock cleaned and needs a couple of days to shake the cobwebs out, that option is available.

Marqhead
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Right, and I think this aides the ability of players and trainers to treat each case individually. How many concussed players do you think played through it because there was no alternative to sitting on the DL for 2 weeks? If a player has a concussion as serious as Morneau's, that's what the 15 and 60-day DLs are for. But now, if a guy gets his clock cleaned and needs a couple of days to shake the cobwebs out, that option is available.

Well put, I'm 100% in favor of this.

03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Seems like a great idea to me. It will free up a roster spot while letting the injured played have a week to rest.

Helps fantasy baseball too. :cool:

#1swisher
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Helps fantasy baseball too. :cool:

How many concussions are you expecting this season?:redneck

#1swisher
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Morneau "When your brain is working, it's not healing" article describing his brain injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=6231869