PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Boyer Conversation

Lip Man 1
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Brooks Boyer Conversation
-----------------------------------
The White Sox had another conference call Tuesday, set up by Marty Maloney and this time Brooks Boyer was available to take questions from reps of different internet sites.
I was able to participate and here is a summary of the conversation which hit upon different topics.
--------------------------------------------------
First Brooks wanted to make an “opening statement” for want of a better word.

BB: “As always we’re looking forward to the start of the season. There have been two main additions which are going to impact the fan experience this year. First is the addition of the “Bacardi at the Park” restaurant / bar. There will be 67 televisions in it, Gibson’s will be supplying the food, and it’ll have two levels. To start it will only be open on game days but we hope in the future to have it open even on day’s we’re not playing. Also it will be open all day, not just during the game. The home opener for example, has a Celtics / Bulls game that night. We’ll be open for fans after the Sox game to watch the Bulls beat Boston.” http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110329&content_id=17179392&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

“The other addition is the METRA 35th Street stop. Fans will be able to bypass the traffic and get right to the game. There will be a dedicated Sox train that will leave right after the game. We’re continuing to work with METRA to work out the bugs which will be cropping up but we think this is something that will really make it easier for our fans to see the Sox.”

Q: Brooks a lot of the conversation at White Sox Interactive was the hiring of the new organist. Can you take us through the process as to how she was hired?

BB: “We put out an open call and anyone who was interested applied. We had a dozen really good candidates. It was narrowed down to eight finalists and we brought them out to U.S. Cellular Field and had them play. There were people sitting in the stands and made observations while listening.” http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110323&content_id=17082302&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

“Lori did the best job, she had a lot of charisma and she’s already told me that she wants to be as open with our fans as Nancy was. The booth will still be open so fans can interact with her. We think it was important to continue the tradition set by Nancy for 40 seasons and to have organ music as part of the fan experience.”

Q: Brooks by the end of Nancy’s run, at her request, she asked to only work day games. What will Lori’s schedule be?

BB: “We don’t know yet. It hasn’t been set. Lori has two boys in high school. She’ll be playing opening day and that entire first weekend… after that we’ll see…but it hasn’t been decided yet.”

Q: “Dynamic pricing” was tried last year and it wasn’t “overly dynamic.” What is that situation moving forward to this year?

BB: “We’ve had a company based in Dallas analyze all of our data from that. A team from our public relations department is looking at the recommendations and examining the possibility of doing it with our lower box seats and some seats in the outfield. Like you said we tried it last year and it wasn’t “overly dynamic” (laughing) we’ll keep learning as we go with this. One thing you won’t see is prices falling below what our season ticket holders are paying for those same seats. We do want to allow our fans that are looking for a good value price to be able to get it and to come out as see us as often as they can.”

“We’re out on a limb a little bit this year, but that’s OK. Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to be aggressive and put the best team possible on the field, he wants to get to and win another World Series.”

Q: Are there any other sponsorship changes that you can tell us about?

BB: “In addition to the Bacardi deal we are going to have another sponsor as part of the Jim Beam club. It hasn’t been announced yet… and DiGiorno is now going to become our official pizza supplier. We’re continuing to work on new sponsorships because that money eventually gets funneled down the hall to Kenny so he can go out and get the best talent. We expect to hit our budget by the season opener and to hit our goals by the end of the year, keep in mind those are two different situations. They aren’t always the same figures.”

Q: Brooks everyone knows the economic situation in the country and the Sox were hit by it around 2007 / 2008 as far as advertising was concerned. What’s the situation now…has it rebounded for you… are you still flat lining? What’s the current status?

BB: “No question it dipped in 2007 because of the economy and because we had a bad year. Getting the deal with BP on the “Crosstown Cup” moved us forward. Ford will be one of our sponsors this year (along with Chevy). We’ve maintained our core sponsors for the past three years and there has been a steady increase in getting new ones.”

Q: “Victoria’s Secret” has come out with a line of products that some women find offensive. What is your opinion of how the Sox market to women fans?

BB: “I’d rather talk to women who drive vans with kids in them than take the ‘cutesy / gimmicky’ approach. Those mom’s with the kids are potential fans for the long term and I want them at our park, we’ve always tried to sell a ‘family friendly’ time here as opposed to the singles scene. I have four daughters myself and I just think a lot of this stuff is short term. I’m not opposed by any means to young adults having fun at our park and I’m certainly not going to stop MLB from signing sponsorship deals with companies like “Victoria’s Secret” but I just focus on other areas.”

Q: What’s you take on the social media and how it relates to the Sox?

BB: “It’s very significant. It’s the quickest way to talk to people. When I started with the Bulls 18 years ago we were having expensive mail-outs to reach people, now we can contact our fans directly. Social media also allows us (i.e. the White Sox) to control the message we want out not have it controlled by someone else.”

“We’re working right now with Ticketmaster and I think by next year when you buy a ticket you’ll be able on Twitter and Facebook to see who’s sitting around you. You’ll be able to see who is sitting where and maybe get a ticket right next to your friends.”

Q: Will more White Sox players start to participate in the social media? Right now it seems other teams have more players there.

BB: (laughing) “Given what’s happened in the past with some people in the clubhouse or some people who thought they were in the clubhouse I don’t think that’s something Kenny and Ozzie are pushing. Some of the younger guys like Gordon are going to be active with it.”

Q: There were comments last off season about the Sox wearing their “black” jerseys and the removal of the “diamond patch” on the sleeve of the road gray ones in favor of the block Sox logo. Talk about that.

BB: “The black jersey is actually my favorite Sox jersey and what jerseys are worn each day is something that we don’t have a hand in. I’m sure it’ll be worked out over time. I know that there were meetings in the off season about this, including the owner, and that we are going to make more of an effort to wear the home white pinstripe jerseys this season.”

“Regarding the road gray jersey, my son’s favorite patch is the diamond one but if you looked at those jerseys our “brand” just wasn’t on them anywhere. We had to do something to make the Sox logo more prominent.”

Lip

Boondock Saint
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Lip. Great interview/Q&A.

Noneck
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I thought the Sox lost the sponsorship with Jim Beam and were going to call it the Home Run Club, I guess not.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I thought the Sox lost the sponsorship with Jim Beam and were going to call it the Home Run Club, I guess not.

They did, I'm sure he was just referring to it as the Jim Beam Club because, as you demonstrated, no one knows it by its current name, the Home Plate Club.

Nice write-up, Lip. I'd sit in on these, as well, if they'd ever schedule them for not in the middle of a work day.

manders_01
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks Lip, that it great! Some comments:

Love the idea that the new restaurant will be open all day (even though I obviously won't be frequenting it :D:).

I think Lori having kids in high school is promising for her to play night games. Probably not as much of a need to be home to take care of them.

Very interesting comments about the VS gear / marketing to women. I guess I won't head to the The Cell to troll for guys! :tongue:

Yay for more home pinstripes! :bandance:

Noneck
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
They did, I'm sure he was just referring to it as the Jim Beam Club because, as you demonstrated, no one knows it by its current name, the Home Plate Club.

Boyer could have let the ignoramuses like me know what it is being called now.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Boyer could have let the ignoramuses like me know what it is being called now.

Check this place out, a great source of information pertaining to the Sox:

www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)

Noneck
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Check this place out, a great source of information pertaining to the Sox:

www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)

Thanks for the tip and I will scratch this one off my list.
http://bnewsupdate.blogspot.com/2011/02/rumors-confirmed-for-cell.html

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-29-2011, 04:07 PM
BB: “The black jersey is actually my favorite Sox jersey and what jerseys are worn each day is something that we don’t have a hand in. I’m sure it’ll be worked out over time. I know that there were meetings in the off season about this, including the owner, and that we are going to make more of an effort to wear the home white pinstripe jerseys this season.”
“Regarding the road gray jersey, my son’s favorite patch is the diamond one but if you looked at those jerseys our “brand” just wasn’t on them anywhere. We had to do something to make the Sox logo more prominent.”

Lip

Well, there's still the hats that had the "brand" on them. We only wear one hat.

But aside from that, good interview.

Rocky Soprano
03-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, there's still the hats that had the "brand" on them. We only wear one hat.

But aside from that, good interview.

True, but to be fair he is talking about the jerseys.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-29-2011, 04:10 PM
True, but to be fair he is talking about the jerseys.

I know, but it's not like the brand isn't represented anywhere at all when we wear the away greys.

Marqhead
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Lip

So put it on the other ****ing sleeve.

Nice interview Lip.

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm so sick of this whole "brand" BS, did they not copyright the sock patch on the road jersey? Is there another team out there that is wearing a white sock patch as their logo that people are confusing with the White Sox? Is the fact that the White Sox logo is on the hats and the helmets of every player on the field for the Sox not enough of a brand thing? What about the pants? There is no brand anywhere on them. How can we let that go? What if people are looking at the pants and forget what team is wearing them? Let's slap a Sox logo on them too!

Nellie_Fox
03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Other teams' road grays just have the city name on them. They don't feel the need to put the home logo somewhere on them.

Thanks for the info Lip. Appreciate it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Great read Lip - thanks as always!!

Several others have already commented about other teams' road grays not covered in logos so I will refrain.

Bring back the ****ing diamond patch.

Oops.

Streets
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Sigh.... those damn black jerseys. :puking:

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
The branding thing annoys me. I cannot understand how that can help the product enough to potentially irritate fans and make the change.

Everything else sounds good though.

Brian26
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I've made my feelings pretty well known on the diamond sock issue. It still stinks of the Sox hiring a marketing intern out of college who had nothing to do last year, so they decided to start screwing with the uniforms. The branding excuse is ridiculous. In fact, that jersey was more attractive to buy and wear because it didn't have the S-O-X on it. It was something a little different/unique. And you could still get away with wearing the jersey and the black sox hat without looking like you were over-doing it.

I've always said that the patch itself isn't so much the issue as Boyer's feelings that they can change any aspect of the uniforms for no good reason. Apparently this marketing intern wanted to completely scrap the road jerseys but Reinsdorf put a stop to it.

HomeFish
03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I can't believe WSI is still up in arms over a patch on the road uniform.

Crestani
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Lip...

Once again, good insight to the inside workings of the Sox.

#1swisher
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Good interview Lip. Thanks

Brian26
03-29-2011, 08:00 PM

To me, what's most disconcerting is the thought-process and rational behind it (taking the patch off the uniform).

Streets
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
To me, what's most disconcerting is the thought-process and rational behind it.

I agree with you on this one.

ShooterMcGavin
03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Does Boyer have any plans on leaving the White Sox organization?

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM

I can't believe you can't believe that.

Soxman24
03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Does Boyer have any plans on leaving the White Sox organization?

One can only hope.

Red Barchetta
03-29-2011, 10:31 PM
I guess we now know the REAL reason the SOX wear the black jerseys so often. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I've made my feelings pretty well known on the diamond sock issue. It still stinks of the Sox hiring a marketing intern out of college who had nothing to do last year, so they decided to start screwing with the uniforms. The branding excuse is ridiculous. In fact, that jersey was more attractive to buy and wear because it didn't have the S-O-X on it. It was something a little different/unique. And you could still get away with wearing the jersey and the black sox hat without looking like you were over-doing it.

I've always said that the patch itself isn't so much the issue as Boyer's feelings that they can change any aspect of the uniforms for no good reason. Apparently this marketing intern wanted to completely scrap the road jerseys but Reinsdorf put a stop to it.

It's almost like they are trying to follow the Bulls lead from the Jordan era when they changed the road jerseys from "Chicago" to "Bulls". I'm surprised the gray jerseys still have "Chicago" on the front. Maybe the intern suggested that the gray jerseys also say "SOX" on the front just like the home pinstripes and black alternate. That way the brand is showcased on every jersey.

In the end, it really doesn't matter because they rarely wear the road grays anymore. What's the over/under they wear them on Friday?!

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
One can only hope.

:scratch:

Care to elaborate?

DumpJerry
03-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Care to elaborate?
Like Kenny and Ozzie, Brooks has haters here.

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Like Kenny and Ozzie, Brooks has haters here.

I've heard most of the 'Fire Kenny/Ozzie' reasons. Yet to hear any reasons to fire Brooks. I'm pretty curious.

Brian26
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
In the end, it really doesn't matter because they rarely wear the road grays anymore.

Which is ridiculuous since that's an ends-justifies-the-means type of argument. The Road uniforms should be worn 81 times a year minus perhaps all of the Sunday road games. Let's not get rid of the best uniform they Sox have because they've worn the black alternate jerseys too often the last few years. This is the uniform they won the World Series in five years ago.

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Which is ridiculuous since that's an ends-justifies-the-means type of argument. The Road uniforms should be worn 81 times a year minus perhaps all of the Sunday road games. Let's not get rid of the best uniform they Sox have because they've worn the black alternate jerseys too often the last few years. This is the uniform they won the World Series in five years ago.

:clap:

GoGoCrede
03-30-2011, 01:22 AM

Care to elaborate?

The towels we got at the blackout game in 2008 didn't even have a Sox logo on them!!

doublem23
03-30-2011, 01:49 AM
The towels we got at the blackout game in 2008 didn't even have a Sox logo on them!!

Did they have the diamond sock logo?

TheOldRoman
03-30-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm so sick of this whole "brand" BS, did they not copyright the sock patch on the road jersey? Is there another team out there that is wearing a white sock patch as their logo that people are confusing with the White Sox? Is the fact that the White Sox logo is on the hats and the helmets of every player on the field for the Sox not enough of a brand thing? What about the pants? There is no brand anywhere on them. How can we let that go? What if people are looking at the pants and forget what team is wearing them? Let's slap a Sox logo on them too!Exactly, it is a horribly flawed marketing ploy. You don't have to beat fans over the head for them to understand that you are the White Sox. They took it to an absurd level, adding the logo to a gray and black jersey with a "Chicago" script which had a white sock patch on it, as if anybody would mistake it for a Cubs, Bears, Bulls or Blackhawks jersey. GET IT?! WE ARE FROM CHICAGO AND OUR NAME IS THE SOX!

If overexposing a "brand" is so important, how come the arguably most famous pro sports team in the world, the Yankees, don't use the word "Yankees" anywhere on their uniforms?

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-30-2011, 02:40 AM

Do we know for a fact that it was a marketing intern who actually did this?

Over By There
03-30-2011, 08:59 AM

POTW if not the year.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

I agree. I have the Tribune-framed front-page picture and I love the fact that the SOX are wearing their road grays while celebrating the win. The picture of Crede jumping on top of the pile is fantastic!

I like the black alternates, I just wish they would decide to only wear them on Sundays! Home and Away!

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 09:59 AM

But aside from that, good interview.it's all about money. "new" jersey = more sales. from people who want the "new" one as well as people who grab the "old" one on close out.plain and simple.

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Other teams' road grays just have the city name on them. They don't feel the need to put the home logo somewhere on them.

Thanks for the info Lip. Appreciate it.Dodgers have the "LA" hat logo on thier road jerseys.

TheOldRoman
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Dodgers have the "LA" hat logo on thier road jerseys.It it is pointless and looks like crap, especially since the jersey has "Los Angeles" on the chest.

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
It it is pointless and looks like crap, especially since the jersey has "Los Angeles" on the chest.i know, but look who runs that place. the McCourts!

Marqhead
03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Question: Did the Sox wear their black uniforms during the 05 playoff run? If so in how many of the 12 games?

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Question: Did the Sox wear their black uniforms during the 05 playoff run? If so in how many of the 12 games?they did NOT. it was all home pinstripes(with sleeves) and road greys

They were selling the unused black jerseys and pinstripe vest jerseys at the 2006 soxfest in the garage sale.

Marqhead
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
they did NOT. it was all home pinstripes(with sleeves) and road greys

They were selling the unused black jerseys and pinstripe vest jerseys at the 2006 soxfest in the garage sale.

That is what I thought, and what I had remembered. Does MLB regulate what jerseys you're allowed to wear during the playoffs? I know they have input in to other things when it comes to the postseason.

skobabe8
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
they did NOT. it was all home pinstripes(with sleeves) and road greys

They wore the vests during the Boston series.

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
That is what I thought, and what I had remembered. Does MLB regulate what jerseys you're allowed to wear during the playoffs? I know they have input in to other things when it comes to the postseason.I dont think they can wear throwbacks. I think It's only regular season gear. Hence the Sox issuing WS jerseys in every style.

skobabe8
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
First base coach has vest on.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/81451582.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548847039B33703FB92 C9CFFA353E80F7F84AB6DC734A4AA8CD

Streets
03-30-2011, 11:26 AM
That is what I thought, and what I had remembered. Does MLB regulate what jerseys you're allowed to wear during the playoffs? I know they have input in to other things when it comes to the postseason.

I remember reading that they were going to stick with traditional home pins and road greys during the playoffs, I decision someone in the organization had made. Classic look for baseball's classic.

Uniwatch covered the use of softball tops vs. classic whites and greys during this past playoffs. I think it was Texas who never won while wearing their solid blue or red jersey's and caught on to that fact and started wearing their whites and greys. Check uniwatchblog.com if you want the exact story.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 11:35 AM
They wore the vests during the Boston series.

Yep. They wore the vests in Game 1 and Game 2 of the divisional series against the Red Sox.

The following link has video highlights of Games 1 & 2 showing the vests. I still get chills watching Iguchi's HR off of David Wells! I remember going into the series hoping for at least one post-season win and they promptly spanked the Red Sox in game 1. Game 2 was pure joy!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/ps/y2005/home.jsp?view=bos_cws

Lip Man 1
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
"Uniwatch" today runs down the entire "new" look regarding MLB teams this year.

Regarding the White Sox and the SOX logo patch on the gray uniforms, they were not complimentary.

Lip

C-Dawg
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm so sick of this whole "brand" BS...

"Brand" must be the new business-term-of-the-year. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Dilbert strip about it yet.

Note how they twice mention the "branding" of the Bacardi logos in the link that Lip provided.

C-Dawg
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Yep. They wore the vests in Game 1 and Game 2 of the divisional series against the Red Sox.

And also in the "Rust Belt" game which they lost against the Angels, if I remember right.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Regarding the White Sox and the SOX logo patch on the gray uniforms, they were not complimentary.

Lip

They also have the SOX "brand" on the stirrups. Pretty cool, however as the article points out, Ozzie and Pierre will probably be the only two on the team sporting them.

doublem23
03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
They also have the SOX "brand" on the stirrups. Pretty cool, however as the article points out, Ozzie and Pierre will probably be the only two on the team sporting them.

I'm not going to lie, I think that's also kind of stupid. OK, we know what the hat logo looks like, guys, let's not go overboard. There's a reason no other teams sews their logo on their socks, and it's not that the Sox markerting team is ridiculously innovative.

Marqhead
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not going to lie, I think that's also kind of stupid. OK, we know what the hat logo looks like, guys, let's not go overboard. There's a reason no other teams sews their logo on their socks, and it's not that the Sox markerting team is ridiculously innovative.

DJ Carrasco had em with the Pirates, and now the Mets. Don't know about any other teams though.

Streets
03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
DJ Carrasco had em with the Pirates, and now the Mets. Don't know about any other teams though.

Uniwatch has shown A's and Giants ones as well.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM

My dream is for the SOX to someday actually wear "White Socks" like they did during the Shoeless Joe Jackson era. I loved those uniforms. Throwback uniforms don't work IMO with the current, modern style baggy long pants/bell bottoms.

downstairs
03-30-2011, 02:55 PM
The brand isn't represented? Its on the damn hat and helmet!

downstairs
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Lip

Yep, he ran it yesterday actually... here's a direct link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/110328_MLB_preview&sportCat=mlb

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Lip

I don't know anyone who thinks that getting rid of the diamond patch looks good. Even Brooks sounded like he didn't think it looked good, they just wanted to get their "brand" out there which I guess is his way of saying they are trying to sell more White Sox road jerseys.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't know anyone who thinks that getting rid of the diamond patch looks good. Even Brooks sounded like he didn't think it looked good, they just wanted to get their "brand" out there which I guess is his way of saying they are trying to sell more White Sox road jerseys.

Just a crazy thought....If Brooks and the SOX brass want to sell more White Sox road jerseys, maybe the team should wear them and showcase them more often. :?:

Is there an MLB rule that doesn't allow two patches? One for each sleeve?

TomBradley72
03-30-2011, 04:14 PM
My dream is for the SOX to someday actually wear "White Socks" like they did during the Shoeless Joe Jackson era. I loved those uniforms. Throwback uniforms don't work IMO with the current, modern style baggy long pants/bell bottoms.

+ Infinity

Soxman24
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Just a crazy thought....If Brooks and the SOX brass want to sell more White Sox road jerseys, maybe the team should wear them and showcase them more often. :?:

Is there an MLB rule that doesn't allow two patches? One for each sleeve?

If the brass changed the patch with the hopes of selling more road jerseys then that is just silly. I believe you can purchase uniform patches at Grandstand, so if you own an old road jersey and wanted to change the uni from old to new I would just swap patches.

downstairs
03-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Nope. Remember the Astros wore their all-red jerseys, because even though they're alternates, their owner wanted to basically wear them almost all year and into the playoffs.

hi im skot
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Nope. Remember the Astros wore their all-red jerseys, because even though they're alternates, their owner wanted to basically wear them almost all year and into the playoffs.

The Astros wore at least three different combos in the World Series:

Road greys
Red top with grey pants
Pinstripes at home

I don't think they wore alts at home.

anewman35
03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
I remember reading that they were going to stick with traditional home pins and road greys during the playoffs, I decision someone in the organization had made. Classic look for baseball's classic.

Uniwatch covered the use of softball tops vs. classic whites and greys during this past playoffs. I think it was Texas who never won while wearing their solid blue or red jersey's and caught on to that fact and started wearing their whites and greys. Check uniwatchblog.com if you want the exact story.

I don't really have anything to back this up, but I've always assumed the reason they never wore black in the 2005 playoffs was basically because they only lost the one time. IIRC, that team was really streaky with uniforms and didn't usually change during a winning streak (unless of course they had to because of the home/road thing). They wore the vests for the first 3 home playoff games, then they lost and switched to the normal pinstripes. I strongly suspect that if they had lost again, we'd have seen the black uniforms the next game.

grv1974
03-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I would definitely keep the sock diamond patch on the grey road uniforms, and I would make the home white pinstripe jerseys have black sleeves (just like the home jersey they wore in 2003 that was called a "mock vest.")

Red Barchetta
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I would definitely keep the sock diamond patch on the grey road uniforms, and I would make the home white pinstripe jerseys have black sleeves (just like the home jersey they wore in 2003 that was called a "mock vest.")

I wasn't a fan of the mock vests. They reminded me of those god-awful powder blue pinstripe/blue sleeve Angels uniforms with the big feathers.

I wish the SOX would only wear the pinstripe tops with the pinstripe pants. The black alternate jersey looks bad IMO matched up with the pinstripe pants because they are mixing/matching two different types of uniform styles. One with trim and one without. Why not just match up an alternate white home pant with black/gray piping (similar to the road grays) that match up with the black alternate? Or at the very least, remove the sleeve trim from the black home alternate to match the style of the pants. They had it right the first year of the black alternates (at home), however I think the players/organization adopted the black alternate as their regular road jersey. I think Brook likes it because the SOX logo markets "the brand" he is so fond of.

Law11
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I couldnt care less about the diamond patch. what I thought was interesting was the part about seeing whos actually around you at games via twitter and facebook.

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
How does one get in on these conference calls?

Lip Man 1
03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Ewok:

Representatives from different Sox based internet sites are asked to participate by the Sox themselves. I think it was the CEO and founder of this site, George Bova (Pale Hose George) who asked if I'd sit in on these because with his work schedule he wasn't able to.

I know a lot of these folks personally so it was easy for me to slide in.

Lip

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Ewok:

Representatives from different Sox based internet sites are asked to participate by the Sox themselves. I think it was the CEO and founder of this site, George Bova (Pale Hose George) who asked if I'd sit in on these because with his work schedule he wasn't able to.

I know a lot of these folks personally so it was easy for me to slide in.

Lipinteresting

doublem23
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
interesting

Yeah, it was started by the Sox as an outreach to bloggers and directors of the more popular fansite out there.

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah, it was started by the Sox as an outreach to bloggers and directors of the more popular fansite out there.i'm just suprised i havent seen these conference calls mentioned before.

doublem23
03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
i'm just suprised i havent seen these conference calls mentioned before.

They don't do them that often, but Lip has mentioned them every time we get an invite to sit in on them.

They're also pretty small, the last email I got probably had less than 20 recipients, but it's some of the biggest non-traditional Sox sites out there, WSI, South Side Sox, Future Sox, Gaper's Block, etc.

dickallen15
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Jim Beam Club now Gold Coast Tickets Club. Remember when the Sox didn't like the scalpers?

mrfourni
03-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Jim Beam Club now Gold Coast Tickets Club. Remember when the Sox didn't like the scalpers?

I also like how in the interview, Brooks says that the "dynamic pricing" prices will not go below the season ticket holder prices, and the very next day the White Sox accept an endorsement from ticket brokers who have no problem undercutting the season ticket base by selling tickets well below face value.

Hey Brooks, it was sites like Stubhub and ticket brokers like Gold Coast Tickets that I got rid of my season tickets.

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I also like how in the interview, Brooks says that the "dynamic pricing" prices will not go below the season ticket holder prices, and the very next day the White Sox accept an endorsement from ticket brokers who have no problem undercutting the season ticket base by selling tickets well below face value.

Hey Brooks, it was sites like Stubhub and ticket brokers like Gold Coast Tickets that I got rid of my season tickets.April 11th has tickets as low as $5 on stubhub RIGHT NOW.

the Ozzie Plan/7 game Promo pack price for Upper Reserve tickets is $10

The 81 game Season Ticket price is $16.

Dynamic indeed