PDA

View Full Version : Could Friday's opener be delayed due to weather?

dwitt76
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Forecast for Cleveland on Friday is high of 34 with chance of rain/snow showers. Obviously if its raining or snowing too hard they will call it, but would it be PPD due to cold?:scratch:

DumpJerry
03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Wouldn't be the first time.

gobears1987
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Woohoo! The first WSI weather watch of the season.

TomBradley72
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Cue the annual thread where we question why the American League openers are not in: LA, Oakland, Seattle, Texas, Tampa Bay, Kansas City/Baltimore and Toronto. Flip to the nothern cities in Week 2 for their openers.

CHISOXFAN13
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Accuweather has 41 and cloudy.

Weather Channel projected high of 40 with 30 pct. chance of precipitation.

I'm sure with the new schedule, they will do what they can to get it in.

Jerko
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I hope it's delayed until I get home from work! If not I'll listen.

Jurr
03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I keep thinking about going over to Cleveland to catch the game. 40 and crappy doesn't make me too psyched about the idea. Ick.

JermaineDye05
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
It'll probably get postponed. Usually is the case with Cleveland openers.

DumpJerry
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I hear the Tribe might postpone all 81 home games. Save their fan the emotional pain. He's been through enough already.

LongLiveFisk
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
It'll probably get postponed. Usually is the case with Cleveland openers.

That's what I was just thinking. Why do they even bother?

doublem23
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
That's what I was just thinking. Why do they even bother?

It's the Midwest in April, just as likely to be crappy and chilly as it is to be sunny and nice.

SephClone89
03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Wouldn't be the end of the world, I suppose. (would give me an extra day to finally write another damn post for my Sox blog, for one)

On an unrelated note...I'm actually really worried about the fact that I'm living in an apartment with a Cubs fan this semester. He's much more of a football guy, and I don't know how often he plans on watching games but...I want to watch my Sox, goddammit.

Fenway
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
WKYC isn't concerned ..... yet

http://www.wkyc.com/weather/conditions/multiday_forecast/default.aspx

soltrain21
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Wouldn't be the end of the world, I suppose. (would give me an extra day to finally write another damn post for my Sox blog, for one)

On an unrelated note...I'm actually really worried about the fact that I'm living in an apartment with a Cubs fan this semester. He's much more of a football guy, and I don't know how often he plans on watching games but...I want to watch my Sox, goddammit.

When I was in college we had two TVs in the living room. That way we could always be playing video games and watching TV or we could be watching two games.

Fenway
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Weather in the north is a crapshoot in April.

Last year MLB had Boston and New York start at night on April 6th and everybody in Boston thought a night game that early was insane.

It was 73 degrees at game time :?:

DumpJerry
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Be the one who pays the cable/satellite bill. That way, you have 100% say over what gets watched.

Truth be told, after April 5th or so, he won't be interested in watching the Cubs. Unless, of course, he ate something bad he needs to get rid of quickly.

LongLiveFisk
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
It's the Midwest in April, just as likely to be crappy and chilly as it is to be sunny and nice.

Well I know it's impossible to start the season in nice weather everywhere (too many "cold weather" cities to do that). Just seems like Cleveland gets the worst of it around this time of year. You never know, we could see another "snow-out". :tongue:

doublem23
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Be the one who pays the cable/satellite bill. That way, you have 100% say over what gets watched.

That's a great plan to promote roomate harmony.

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Hope these long term projections are wrong:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/47602/sick-of-the-cold-we-have-good.asp

amsteel
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
If it means a double header on Sat when I get there, I hope it rains fire on Friday

roylestillman
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Hope these long term projections are wrong:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/47602/sick-of-the-cold-we-have-good.asp

Then why is AccuWeather talking about 67 and mostly cloudy for the Sox Opener. AccuWeather drives me crazy....

http://www.accuweather.com/us/il/chicago/60643/forecast-month.asp?mnyr=4-01-2011

getonbckthr
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Then why is AccuWeather talking about 67 and mostly cloudy for the Sox Opener. AccuWeather drives me crazy....

http://www.accuweather.com/us/il/chicago/60643/forecast-month.asp?mnyr=4-01-2011
If you read the first link again it says that we will have some mild weather but it will be below average for the 2nd full week of April. You can tell by looking at your link that the calandar is following those projections. The 2nd week of April starts in the 60s on Sundays, 50s Monday and mid-40's on Tuesday.

JermaineDye05
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
If it means a double header on Sat when I get there, I hope it rains fire on Friday

I know you'd like to see two games, but for the sake of our team, I'd rather they not start out the season by playing a double header in the frigid cold.

Corlose 15
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
When I was in college we had two TVs in the living room. That way we could always be playing video games and watching TV or we could be watching two games.

Didn't watching two games at once get annoying?

doublem23
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Didn't watching two games at once get annoying?

Ever been to a sports bar?

Stormin' Norm
03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I checked the forecast for Saturday's game on Sunday morning and Weather.com was calling for low 50s and sun. I went to stubhub and found covered, lower level,aisle seats, behind home plate, last row for $10+fees. Winning, Duh! I snatched those up and even considered getting some more tix for Sunday's game. Checked the forecast again today for Sat. and now it's mid 30s with snow/precipitation. People that live in NEO just can't catch a break. :whiner:

chisoxfanatic
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM

At least a lot of the games won't be running concurrently...I'd say get an extra TV or get to the TV first if that's not possible.

SephClone89
03-29-2011, 01:28 PM
At least a lot of the games won't be running concurrently...I'd say get an extra TV or get to the TV first if that's not possible.

Actually, the majority of them are. (this is only an issue in April) There are a few occasions of one team or the other being on WCIU or CSN+ though, which solves the problem as we get neither of those channels down here.

cub killer
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Convert your roommate to the White Sox. Problem solved.

SephClone89
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Convert your roommate to the White Sox. Problem solved.

I don't like him enough to do so.

RhubarbStew
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM

Imagine life with my Cub fan girlfriend... :tongue:

GoGoCrede
03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't mind a bit if it's postponed. I have Saturday off. Friday I'll be at my internship and will probably get home after the game has already started.

chisoxfanatic
03-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Actually, the majority of them are. (this is only an issue in April) There are a few occasions of one team or the other being on WCIU or CSN+ though, which solves the problem as we get neither of those channels down here.
Well then, I think it may be time to work out a little compromise...Can't hurt!

jdm2662
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
If any game gets called, it will be made up later in the year.

delben91
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
If any game gets called, it will be made up later in the year.

Believe both teams are off next Monday too, if for some reason there's some urgency to do it sooner...