PDA

View Full Version : Montreal honors 1994 Nos Amours

Fenway
03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Amours+fondly+remembered/4512925/story.html

I pray Montreal will soon have a team again.....there is still a spark there

Fenway
03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
This is the video mentioned in the article

bFX92ALqxlk

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I think if the owners of the Expos had given that team half of a chance to win, they could have done well. Instead they sold off the parts of that '94 team before the '95 season began and then Loria, well, he did everything he could to piss off that fan base. If they got a new stadium, I bet baseball in Montreal could work.

DSpivack
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
This is the video mentioned in the article

bFX92ALqxlk

Wow, what a great tribute.

I think if the owners of the Expos had given that team half of a chance to win, they could have done well. Instead they sold off the parts of that '94 team before the '95 season began and then Loria, well, he did everything he could to piss off that fan base. If they got a new stadium, I bet baseball in Montreal could work.

It was basically Major League made true.

Fenway
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM

I know it would - they would be the perfect fit in the AL East.

They always started slow at the gate but for the same reason many teams do - school nights.

The reality was that baseball season in Montreal really began when Club de Hockey Canadien ended their season.

The Habs AVERAGE 1 million viewers a game on RDS (French) - no NBA, NHL or MLB team comes close to that. The Habs are a religion in Quebec.

Red Barchetta
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
I golfed with a couple from Montreal and was very surprised when they told me that there are many fans of the Expos and MLB. I would also like to see one of the "attendance challenged" teams like the Rays and A's have a shot at Montreal again. Olympic Stadium was a major issue with the franchise and I would love to see a ballpark similar to that downtown Montreal rendering posted earlier would be great.

Bobby Thigpen
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
It was basically Major League made true.
How?

Many of Montreal's stars were young and it was known they were going to be good. It was just a matter of when.

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2011, 12:34 AM
How?

Many of Montreal's stars were young and it was known they were going to be good. It was just a matter of when.

I think during the Loria years and ESPECIALLY when MLB ran the team it was a bit like Major League. Christ, in 2003 Selig wouldn't let them call up their minor leaguers in September because they were in the hunt for the Wild Card and MLB was horrified they might win it.

DSpivack
03-29-2011, 12:52 AM
I think during the Loria years and ESPECIALLY when MLB ran the team it was a bit like Major League. Christ, in 2003 Selig wouldn't let them call up their minor leaguers in September because they were in the hunt for the Wild Card and MLB was horrified they might win it.

Right, I was thinking more along the lines of how ownership and the league dealt with the team in later years, not necessarily in 1994.

In Major League, Rachel Phelps was trying to purposefully cheapen her product in order to move to what she thought was a more lucrative market.

I view Loria and MLB as having done essentially the same thing.

Bobby Thigpen
03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Oh. Ok.

I see that comparison. I thought you were talking about that team in particular.

Fenway
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

There was an afternoon game with Philadelphia at Stade Olympique in august 2003 where the walkup crowd was over 20,000 and MLB had only 2 ticket windows open. Fans were still coming in as late as the 4th inning.

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
There was an afternoon game with Philadelphia at Stade Olympique in august 2003 where the walkup crowd was over 20,000 and MLB had only 2 ticket windows open. Fans were still coming in as late as the 4th inning.

At that point, MLB was doing everything they could to move the Expos. If they could have locked the gates to the Stadium so no one would ever come in, I'm sure they would have.

DumpJerry
03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I golfed with a couple from Montreal and was very surprised when they told me that there are many fans of the Expos and MLB. I would also like to see one of the "attendance challenged" teams like the Rays and A's have a shot at Montreal again. Olympic Stadium was a major issue with the franchise and I would love to see a ballpark similar to that downtown Montreal rendering posted earlier would be great.
The Cubs are having trouble selling tickets this year.......:thinking:

Fenway
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
At that point, MLB was doing everything they could to move the Expos. If they could have locked the gates to the Stadium so no one would ever come in, I'm sure they would have.

Gammons and I talked about this one night a few years ago. He is convinced Selig was bitter that Montreal got the expansion franchise in 1969 and not Milwaukee.

Charlie Brofman who was the first owner had to walk away as his nephew was in the process of destroying the family fortune in Seagrams. He sold it to a local Montreal group that was always fighting with themselves.

What hurt the team was that Brofman never went hard after the francophone market. When the franchise started Montreal was still split 50-50 between english and french. In the early 80's much of the anglophone populuation fled to Ontario because of the new language laws. Then you had the location of the stadium which was hard to get to from the anglo areas of the city that remained. The stadium itself was a disaster.

TomBradley72
03-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Sounds like the White Sox circa- 1987-89.

With abominations like the stadiums in Oakland and Tampa Bay- it would be great to see a team back in Montreal- they were always my favorite NL team- especially in the Jarry Parc days.

Fenway
11-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Montreal hip hop artist Annakin Slayd who did the Expos tribute linked earlier in this thread also did one for the 1994 team.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6187450/montreal_expos_1994_tribute_video/

Le sang des Expos sera toujours tache les mains de Bud Selig

Nos Amours pour toujours :whiner: