PDA

View Full Version : What Parts Are You Worried About?

Bucky F. Dent
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
In line with the news article I heard mentioned on 670 this morning. What parts are you must concerned with on the Sox? My list:

Peavy's Shoulder - for obvious reasons
Dunn's eyes - less strikeouts please.
Pierre's legs - he needs to keep the top of the lineup moving
Floyd's head - in combination with number one, if this kid's head is right, this is one of the strongest rotations in the AL.

SoxSpeed22
03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Bullpen, particularly the right handers.
Of course, Peavy's health.

russ99
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
On opening day, there are no worries. :D:

Over the season:

1. Peavy's health / Peavy's replacement.
2. Lesser bullpen arms handling their workload.
3. Quentin keeping an even keel and not be so streaky.
4. Dunn being able to handle the mental aspects of DHing instead of playing the field

Lip Man 1
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't know if I'm that concerned right now about anything (over and above the obvious - that guys need to stay healthy...)

If I had to pick something it would be Peavy and the 5th starter spot.

Most folks are thinking this is a horserace that could go down to the final few days of the season.

If that's true, a game or two lost by Phil Humber (filling in for Peavy) could make all the difference in the world (and frankly he hasn't looked that hot.)

Odds are this isn't going to be the case, but like I said, that's about all that's concerning me on the field.

Off the field, it's the usual early season issues...bad weather, mediocre attendance. (By the way it snowed again here last night...)

Lip

eriqjaffe
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Dunn's eyes - less strikeouts please. He just swings and misses a lot, and that's just not going to change. It's not his eye, as he's averaged 111 walks per 162 gams over the course of his career. He still gets on base at a better rate than Juan Pierre. ;)

aryzner
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Peavy's health

Gavin's confidence/pitching like we know he can pitch

Quentin's head

I'm not worried about Dunn's Ks. He's going to strike out... a lot. It's not a concern because I expect and know it will happen.

TomBradley72
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
For me- Adam Dunn vs. expectations:

If he duplicates his 199 K's from 2010- he'll set the all time White Sox record for a single season by 24 (Dave Nicholson- 175).
Career batting average/RISP = .231
Adjusting to a new league AND the DH role

doublem23
03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Come on, you guys, he's just going to be the DH, you make it sound like the Sox are asking him to learn to hit right-handed.

JB98
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
The whole offense.

This team typically doesn't start hitting until June. That needs to change. Too many games have been given away in April and May the last couple years due to crap offensive execution.

DirtySox
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I can't wait for the "Adam Dunn strikes out too much!" threads.

doublem23
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I can't wait for the "Adam Dunn strikes out too much!" threads.

I'm already preparing for the meltdown that occurs the 1st time Dunn K's with RISP and 2-out in the 7th-9th inning with the Sox down by 1-2.

#1swisher
03-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Timely hitting.

stacksedwards
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Hawk's blood pressure

sox1970
03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I hate to sound like Hawk, but it's a battle of bullpens. The best bullpen of the Sox, Twins, and Tigers will probably win the division.

Marqhead
03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Churros. Will they have the sugar mix just right? Are the fillings ready to go? Will the vendors be on their game? Lot's of questions, only a matter of time until we get some answers.

Noneck
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Rios health. There is no one that can fill in to play CF for an extended period of time. Rios defensive abilities in center make the Sox outfield defensively adequate, without him it would be a mess.

ShooterMcGavin
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
1. Guillen's managing
2. Peavy's health
3. TCQ's hitting
4. Morel's hitting

Foulke You
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
The whole offense.

This team typically doesn't start hitting until June. That needs to change. Too many games have been given away in April and May the last couple years due to crap offensive execution.
Agreed. The lack of offense also puts a ton of pressure on the pitching and then the whole thing snowballs from there as we saw in April and early May of last season. Some reasons to be optimistic about the offense though is the addition of Dunn and the fact that Beckham is unlikely to hit under .200 as he did last season. On the pessimism side, it would also be nice if Alexei Ramirez can forget about the cold weather and actually hit over his weight in April. Alexei's bat always starts the season as cold as the Chicago weather.

Foulke You
03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Bullpen, particularly the right handers.

I'm pretty happy with the way our bullpen is built on paper. Santos pitched well last year and has done well in the Spring. Crain is proven in the AL Central and Pena is serviceable. My biggest worry is Ozzie allowing Will Ohman to pitch to a right handed batter in anything but a blowout game. Right handers abolutely destroy Ohman so there should never be a time where he is allowed to face them in key situations.

downstairs
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I find it hard to worry before a season begins. Baseball is full of surprises. Yeah, we think we're relying on Peavy to be healthy... but what if someone unexpected in the staff has a surprise lights-out season? Happens all the time.

I just let April play out and start worrying then if need be.

But that's just me.

Irishsox1
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Closer. I don't see one. I hope I'm wrong.

Moses_Scurry
03-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm worried most about the starting rotation. Last year, I was more confident in the rotation than anything else, but I feel like they disappointed. Floyd needs to take a step forward. Danks is very good, but he has the potential to be great and hasn't made that step yet. Who knows what they'll get with Jackson, Peavy, or Humber. Buehrle is Buehrle, but he is also getting on in years and has been declining the last couple.

I think it is a good rotation with the potential to be great. But a lot can happen that could make it really bad as well. I never really worry about the bullpen because you really can't predict how good a bullpen will be from year to year. With Dunn, I think the offense will be pretty good.

I also worry that the Twins will play out of their asses again and win 95 games. I don't see the Sox as a 96 win team.

DSpivack
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Churros. Will they have the sugar mix just right? Are the fillings ready to go? Will the vendors be on their game? Lot's of questions, only a matter of time until we get some answers.

Also, how fresh will they be? And how warm will they be? What inning will I go up to get one? I usually get a hot dog early, then go for a churro in the later innings. Problem is, by then they've been sitting around awhile, and sometimes get stale and aren't that hot anymore.

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I am a chronic worrier so I worry about EVERYTHING.

LITTLE NELL
03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I just hope we get off to a good start. April and May of 2010 were horrible and even though we had that great hot streak I would rather see a season were we are more consistant and win 16 games a month which would give us about 96 wins and a division title.

soxlady8
03-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I am worried about getting off to a good start.
I am hoping April and May will be good and this team doesn't wait UNTIL JUNE to start warming up !!

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Mark Teahen in a White Sox uniform.

And as many parts to that as needed. That's my worry.

Ole'!

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I am also worried about AJ, he had a good second half last year but is having a bad spring and is aging. He's nearing the end of the line and we really need him to do well.

bluedemon45
03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
There has been a lot of positive talk about the White Sox this off season in Chicago (more positive talk than I can really remember in a long time accept for maybe after 05.) Some of those in the media don't like all the positivity around the White Sox and they are waiting to jump on the very first negative they can find.

I think the main negative they are going to jump all over is Adam Dunn's high strikeout total, which is understandable. I know there are going to be times Dunn strikes out with runners in scoring position, doesn't hit the go ahead homerun in the 8th, and hell might even get off to a slow start coming from the National League. But I hope he doesn't take anything seriously that this town says about him and just remains focused and will be just fine.

ChiSoxGirl
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
The whole offense.

Agreed. The lack of offense also puts a ton of pressure on the pitching and then the whole thing snowballs from there as we saw in April and early May of last season. Some reasons to be optimistic about the offense though is the addition of Dunn and the fact that Beckham is unlikely to hit under .200 as he did last season. On the pessimism side, it would also be nice if Alexei Ramirez can forget about the cold weather and actually hit over his weight in April. Alexei's bat always starts the season as cold as the Chicago weather.

Both of these are excellent answers. It seems like the Sox don't start hitting 'til I get out of school for summer vacation and then the hitting ceases when I go back to school at the end of August. As long as they can avoid this chronic problem, winning the division (and maybe more) shouldn't be an issue.

Putting extra pressure on the pitching staff -- both the starters and relievers -- isn't good. How can a starter go out there and believe he can win a ballgame if he knows his offense isn't going to support him? If our starters know they have to be flawless each time they take the mound in April, May, and September, he'll be so worried about it that they'll likely make mistakes.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
The whole offense.

If the offense doesn't produce early in the season, I hope that Ozzie does not decide to "upgrade" the nine-hole by benching Morel and playing Teahen.

thomas35forever
03-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Whether Dunn can get off to a good start or not. I hope he doesn't adopt the home-run-or-nothing approach like the rest of our mashers.

DirtySox
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
I hope he doesn't adopt the home-run-or-nothing approach like the rest of our mashers.

Er. That is essentially Dunn's MO. He is a three true outcome player. He hits a HR, K's or walks about 49% of the time.

manders_01
03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Nothing. On paper, I think we are the team to beat. That being said, baseball isn't played on paper.

Frontman
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
The fanbase losing their minds if the Twins/Tigers/both are ahead of the Sox at the end of April.

everafan
03-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm worried that John Danks lost his mojo when he got his teeth fixed

John Barrett
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm worried about starting the season ICE COLD
don't see any fight in this team - hope I'm wrong
But don't want to be 6-7 games back by 5/1

LoveYourSuit
03-29-2011, 01:27 AM
The 5th starter is my only worry.

This is as complete a team we are taking in there since 2006. I really like our bullpen, even more than our rotation. Add a healthy Peavy and we have the most complete staff in the AL IMO.

I think getting off to a hot start will be huge for the players mentally and for the fans to come out and support this team.

A. Cavatica
03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Ozzie's mouth, Oney's thumbs.

soxfanreggie
03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
1. Peavy
2. 3B
3. Having hitters put together a full season: hopefully we see Paulie on his game for the full year and get more consistency out of Quentin. If Paulie and Quentin are on, combined with what I think Dunn will do hitting in this ballpark...I like the possibilities. You're not even including Rios' bat in the mix yet either!

Red Barchetta
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm worried about starting the season ICE COLD
don't see any fight in this team - hope I'm wrong
But don't want to be 6-7 games back by 5/1

I agree. I am so tired of the "It's still early" talk of the last few seasons and the subconscious "Twins "Worship" up and down the organization. Every game counts and the losses from April & May really come into play when you're 3 games out in mid-September.

I don't expect the torrid start of 2005, however I would be happy with at least a .500 record going into June. We had a better record than the Twins in 2010 except when we played the Twins which cost the SOX the division.

I hope to see more fire and intensity from the team and less quiet leadership. That's where IMO, Peavy comes in as they had a swagger last season during the post Stanley Cup Championship run and seemed to lose it after Peavy went down. Even though Jackson stepped in and performed well statistically, Peavy brought an attitude that the SOX desperately need.

Hopefully Dunn can add to that.

wassagstdu
03-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm worried about Alexei Ramirez' breakout year being ruined by back problems.

PaleHoser
03-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Sox are currently 9.5 games behind the Royals, with the fourth worst spring record in baseball and the worst spring record in the AL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/exhibition.jsp :o:

Ozzie: you can turn on the switch now. The games start to count on Friday.

SephClone89
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Sox are currently 9.5 games behind the Royals, with the fourth worst spring record in baseball and the worst spring record in the AL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/exhibition.jsp :o:

Ozzie: you can turn on the switch now. The games start to count on Friday.

Teal implied?

DirtySox
03-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Teal implied?

I sure hope so.

Falstaff
03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
I am nervous about the annual sluggish start. Seems last 4-5 years the White Sox blow series to KC, go downhill way below .500, dig a big hole before deciding on everyday lineup and take it all seriously. The roster looks good on paper. Need to stock up on Oil of Wintergreen (listening Herm?) and all will be OK regarding aches and pains. Maybe they need a brawl (like 2000) to get off to raging start.

Carolina Kenny
03-30-2011, 08:22 AM
I am worried about injuries. A significant injury to any one of several different players would doom the season. That list of essentially irreplaceable players include:

Alexi Rameriz
Alex Rios
Matt Thorton
Any of our big four starters.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I am worried about injuries. A significant injury to any one of several different players would doom the season. That list of essentially irreplaceable players include:

Alexi Rameriz
Alex Rios
Matt Thorton

I think every team has this same concern about losing their closer, SS and CF position players. Plus, we have "Magic Fingers Herm" who leads the league in healthy players! :D:

Noneck
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Alexi Rameriz
Alex Rios
Matt Thorton

Ramirez could be filled with Beckham or Omar. Thornton could be filled with Crain, Sale or Santos. Losing one the big 4 and gaining Peavy would not be the end of the world. I do understand these situations would hurt the club but it would not be disastrous unless it was long term. Losing Rios is a different story.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Falstaff:

I don't know about the last four / five years as you state but they have had bad starts the past two, 2009 and 2010. They started very well in 2006 for example.

Lip

TomBradley72
03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Alexi Rameriz
Alex Rios
Matt Thorton

We have almost zero organizational depth, possible exception with outfielders- not much internal help if we lose anyone to injury.

soltrain21
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm worried about the part when we start out 143-0 and the league decides we are just too good to play in the MLB.

SOXSINCE'70
03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I am a chronic worrier so I worry about EVERYTHING.

As do I. From Peavy's shoulder to Ozzie's big mouth,there will be concerns and worries throughout the year.

SOXSINCE'70
03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Falstaff:

I don't know about the last four / five years as you state but they have had bad starts the past two, 2009 and 2010. They started very well in 2006 for example.

Lip

They started pretty good in 2005. You saw what happened that year.:bandance:

KRS1
03-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Will Ohman, every time he sets foot on the mound.

GoGoCrede
03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
How much hot dog prices will go up and whether the hot dog buns will be cold.

Metalthrasher442
04-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm not going to look too far ahead because it is only three games into the season so I'll go with what I'm worried about currently.

Alex Rios' hitting
Peavy/Fifth starter
The consistency of TCQ

P.S. it feels good to be back:D:

soltrain21
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Will Ohman, every time he sets foot on the mound.

Well obviously he has proved your worries wrong thus far.