PDA

View Full Version : The Lief wants out

Soxheads
07-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Sox don't fit Liefer; wants out by July 31

July 5, 2002

Jeff Liefer considers Chicago the greatest city in the country, but the White Sox apparently aren't a reason he finds it so appealing.

Liefer said Thursday that the Sox no longer have anything to offer him and sounded off as the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline approaches.

"I'm hoping to get traded because I'm not playing,'' said Liefer, a backup outfielder and first baseman, who is batting .188 with one home run and three RBI in 29 games. "I want to go somewhere and try to build on what I did last year instead of taking steps backward.''

Last season, Liefer played in a career-high 83 games, batting .256 with 18 home runs and 39 RBI. Before last season, Liefer did not have a major-league home run and had 14 RBI in parts of two seasons (50 games).

"If you're not playing, you're not getting a chance to get better,'' he said.

Two weeks ago, Liefer said he considered the minor leagues a better option than sitting on the bench with the Sox because he wanted to get at-bats. But at that time, he stopped short of saying he wanted to be traded, adding, "I don't know what I want.''

His minor-league request was moot, though, because he is out of options and couldn't be sent to Class AAA Charlotte unless he cleared waivers. The Sox likely could lose him without receiving compensation.

Liefer, 27, said that some of his anxiety over a lack of playing time is he is running out of years to be productive.

Liefer added he doesn't expect to be starting over Carlos Lee or Magglio Ordonez. But with those two entrenched in the Sox lineup, he is just looking for a place where he has a chance to perform.

Doug Padilla
-Sun Times

doublem23
07-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Jeff Liefer is crabbing? A guy who has a career .242 BA and has nearly 4 times as many Ks as walks?

Please.

I understand the desire to play, but, Jeff... You suck.

oldcomiskey
07-05-2002, 05:03 PM
remind of Dan Pasqua-----even the way he sets up--all he needs is Rowands number and Id swear it was him

Chisox_cali
07-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Jeff's wanted out for a while now, I'd say give him what he wants, but with our GM who knows what we'll get back :(:

guillen4life13
07-05-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jeff Liefer is crabbing? A guy who has a career .242 BA and has nearly 4 times as many Ks as walks?

Please.

I understand the desire to play, but, Jeff... You suck.

a .242 average in 447 abs. i wonder how many ab's were ph'ing. he is nowhere close to as good as any of the of'ers on this club, but hes good enough to play at least somewhere. i'm sure we could get a mid-level prospect for this guy. i'd be real frustrated if i was him also. he's 27 years old and hasn't really had any opportunity to perform on a semi-regular basis except for last year (254 abs). he hit 18 hrs in that amount of time? that's really good! .256 average is not bad at all either. he doesn't suck. last year when he was actually playing every other day he was playing well. defensively, i agree... he sux. but half the team sux defensively anyways, so i don't think he'd be that much of a downgrade.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 05:31 PM
So, would we be trading Leifer as buyers or sellers?

LongDistanceFan
07-05-2002, 05:45 PM
they tried to trade him several yrs ago with no takers...........

Foulke You
07-05-2002, 05:47 PM
I'd hate to see the guy turn into Jim Thome on another team. Still, there is no spot for the guy on this team. I wish him well if the Sox choose to move him.

DrCrawdad
07-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Didn't Liefer crank out 18 HR's last year and lead the team with Slugging %? As far as his defense, from what I've observed his range is somewhat limited but IMHO he has much better baseball instincts than C-Lee (better in the field and on the bases). Ok, that's not much of a compliment. I don't think it's fair to judge Liefer on his production this year, since many of his ABs have been pinch hitting. Liefer is not a good PH.

RedPinStripes
07-05-2002, 06:15 PM
If liefer got 500 ab's a year, I think he can hit 40 hr's IMO. He had 18 or something like that last year in half the ab's as Dumbass Caballo. He will K a lot though. I hope they trade him though. There is no room for him here and there is no reason for him to be on the bench as much as he is. Good luck Jeffro! I wish you well.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Jeff's wanted out for a while now, I'd say give him what he wants, but with our GM who knows what we'll get back :(:

With our luck, Liefer will end up with a mediocre team and get plenty of playing time. He'll post the following numbers:

AVG: .275
R: 65
H: 112
2B: 19
3B: 2
HR: 16
RBI: 53

:KW

"Don't blame me. I had nothing to do with this."

WinningUgly!
07-05-2002, 10:11 PM
I can't blame Liefer for wanting to play everyday, with us or whoever. He showed last season, that with the at bats comes the production. How can we expect anything out of the guy now, when he's lucky to get 4 AB's a week? Best of luck to ya Jeff!

baggio202
07-05-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If liefer got 500 ab's a year, I think he can hit 40 hr's IMO. He had 18 or something like that last year in half the ab's as Dumbass Caballo. He will K a lot though. I hope they trade him though. There is no room for him here and there is no reason for him to be on the bench as much as he is. Good luck Jeffro! I wish you well.

compare liefer to ryan klesko....in ryan's first season where batted about 250 times he hit one home run less than liefer..i see jeff , if he gets the chance to play everyday putting up ryan kleko type numbers...30 homers or so and hitting about 270-280...i even think he can steal a few bases like ryan..jeff gets down the line ok for a big guy and his baseball insticts are sure a hell of a lot better than dumbass caballo's....if liefer was 22 and bitching about not playing it would be one thing..but last year he showed alot in his only real chance and deserves better than sitting behind dumbass caballo

Garrison
07-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Liefer is a good player, but in 200 some at bats its tough to say how good exactly. He isn't getting a chance to play here so move him for a prospect or something. He's wasting away on our bench and he deserves a chance to play somewhere else. Moving him would GIVE CREDE A SHOT or at least Harris or Borchard or someone else. Come on management do something!

DrCrawdad
07-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Jeff Liefer, that's my guy!