PDA

View Full Version : New food options on both sides of town.

WhiffleBall
03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
New food at Wrigley:
- Vienna Beef Hot Dogs
- D'Agostino's Pizza
- Hamburgers from Stanley's Kitchen
- Jumbo chicken wings from the Fifty/50 restaraunt of Chicago
- Frozen kefir (lactose and gluten free)
- Vegtables and hummus
- Vegtable chopped salad

I like how the Rickett's are trying to use more local vendors.

New at the Cell:
- Irish Pub?
- DiGiorno's frozen pizza (what a lame choice, hopefully only a one year deal)
- Cheesesteak sandwiches
- Tamale carts
- Beers of world stand changing to Midwest Brews
- Wow bao will now sell mongolian beef

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0328-vienna-beef-20110328,0,2661596.story

DumpJerry
03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
When they say "new food at Wrigley," are they saying food prepared post 1950? Have they finally sold out all those 1940's era hot dogs?

Cheesecake sandwich, what's that?

PaleHoser
03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
New food at Wrigley:
- Vegtables and hummus
- Vegtable chopped salad

I think if they ever tried to sell this at the Cell they would be the three shortest vending lines in the entire stadium.

doublem23
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I think if they ever tried to sell this at the Cell they would be the three shortest vending lines in the entire stadium.

Yeah, Sox fans are too manly to eat vegetables.

ewokpelts
03-28-2011, 09:51 AM
New food at Wrigley:
- Vienna Beef Hot Dogs
- D'Agostino's Pizza
- Hamburgers from Stanley's Kitchen
- Jumbo chicken wings from the Fifty/50 restaraunt of Chicago
- Vegtables and hummus
- Vegtable chopped salad

I like how the Rickett's are trying to use more local vendors.

New at the Cell:
- Irish Pub?
- DiGiorno's frozen pizza (what a lame choice, hopefully only a one year deal)
- Cheesesteak sandwiches
- Tamale carts
- Beers of world stand changing to Midwest Brews
- Wow bao will now sell mongolian beef

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0328-vienna-beef-20110328,0,2661596.story

Levy is more open to local vendors than DNC/sportservice. Which is why you'll see more innovation at wrigley(where levy contraols ALL the concessions) and in the Premium seating areas of the cell(where levy calls the shots).

roylestillman
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Levy is more open to local vendors than DNC/sportservice. Which is why you'll see more innovation at wrigley(where levy contraols ALL the concessions) and in the Premium seating areas of the cell(where levy calls the shots).

I agree. The Sox have to start looking at both their food service and food options at the Cell. Levy has done that by bringing in Smoque in the Club level. They need to expand that to the more "public" areas of the park. I never was a Connie's fan, but replacing them with a frozen pizza like DiGiorno's frozen pizza is laughable - what, did they agree to buy an ad on the scoreboard?

gregoriop
03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
It's ridiculous what the non-premium hotdog/pizza situation is at the Cell. We should be leaders in ballpark cuisine, especially hot dogs and pizza.

I do like the cheesesteak and tamale additions though. I thought Wow Bao was only at the Cell for a trial run last year though. Were they there later in the season?

doublem23
03-28-2011, 10:16 AM
It's ridiculous what the non-premium hotdog/pizza situation is at the Cell. We should be leaders in ballpark cuisine, especially hot dogs and pizza.

Isn't the Sox's non-premium hot dog Vienna Beef? How much better do you want them to be?

ewokpelts
03-28-2011, 10:16 AM

I do like the cheesesteak and tamale additions though. I thought Wow Bao was only at the Cell for a trial run last year though. Were they there later in the season?Wow Bao's trial ended in April 2010, when they were given a contract for the rest of the season. And it appears they were picked up again.

ewokpelts
03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Isn't the Sox's non-premium hot dog Vienna Beef? How much better do you want them to be?Vienna is the Sox PREMIUM(beef) hot dog supplier. Bobak's offers the pork hot dogs.

doublem23
03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Vienna is the Sox PREMIUM(beef) hot dog supplier. Bobak's offers the pork hot dogs.

My bad

Moses_Scurry
03-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I like vegetables and hummus quite a bit, but I can't imagine eating at a baseball game. Too messy. Same goes for chopped salad and mongolian beef.

DumpJerry
03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I like vegetables and hummus quite a bit, but I can't imagine eating at a baseball game. Too messy. Same goes for chopped salad and mongolian beef.
The Mongolian beef is inside the Wao Bao, no mess.

doublem23
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM

It really can't be much messier than those delicious loaded nachos from the last few years, the guys working the carts will drench everything in salsa, cheese, peppers, guac, sour cream... Phenomenal.

ewokpelts
03-28-2011, 10:34 AM

www.wowbao.com (http://www.wowbao.com)

the mongolian beef will be a big hit this year.

WhiffleBall
03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
www.wowbao.com (http://www.wowbao.com)

the mongolian beef will be a big hit this year.

Does anyone remember what they charged last year for a bao?

Here is a pic of a bao for those wondering what they look like. They are about the size of your average cupcake:

http://www.thestreetsetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WowBao_Bao.jpg

soltrain21
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I eat at the Wow Bao on Lake St. once in a while. It's...okay.

russ99
03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Everything sounds great except for the pizza.

But if they use the same DiGiorno product that I make at home, that will still be a huge improvement over the undercooked Connie's pizzas.

DumpJerry
03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
IIRC, it was $5.00 for two. Not a bad deal.

gregoriop
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Wow Bao's trial ended in April 2010, when they were given a contract for the rest of the season. And it appears they were picked up again.

Oh okay, still just that one cart in the LF concourse?

ewokpelts
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Here is a pic of a bao for those wondering what they look like. They are about the size of your average cupcake:

http://www.thestreetsetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WowBao_Bao.jpg

$5 for two bao. So a $1 markup per bao.

moochpuppy
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
You would think since deep dish pizza is a Chicago thing that one of these teams would hook up with say Giordano's, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Uno's, etc. instead of replacing Connie's with a frozen service.

MUsoxfan
03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
You would think since deep dish pizza is a Chicago thing that one of these teams would hook up with say Giordano's, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Uno's, etc. instead of replacing Connie's with a frozen service.

I don't think it's a particularly good deal for some of these companies because they'd have to shell out lots of $$$ to get their product in the door. Then they'd have to trust it's being prepared properly in order to ensure that people would be sold on actually going to one of their restaurants.

I've personally never been to a Connie's Pizza restaurant because of the poor, sloppy, undercooked way they sell it at the Cell

DSpivack
03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
IIRC, it was $5.00 for two. Not a bad deal.

When I was home for the summer in college I would sometimes get off the Red Line at Chinatown, get a few steamed pork buns and walk over to the park. Cheap and delicious. I haven't done that since, I should do that again this summer.

WhiteSox5187
03-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't think it's a particularly good deal for some of these companies because they'd have to shell out lots of $$$ to get their product in the door. Then they'd have to trust it's being prepared properly in order to ensure that people would be sold on actually going to one of their restaurants.

I've personally never been to a Connie's Pizza restaurant because of the poor, sloppy, undercooked way they sell it at the Cell

The pizza at Connie's is actually really good. The pizza they sold at the ballpark could not compare.

PatK
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Tamale carts?

Tamales are one of the foods I can literally cannot stop eating.

My stomach is going to take a beating this season.

ewokpelts
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Tamale carts?

My stomach is going to take a beating this season.no word if these are the tom-tom style, or homemade style.

skobabe8
04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Smoque will be on the club (300) level?

roylestillman
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Smoque will be on the club (300) level?
It was last year, and it didn't miss a beat quality-wise from the restaurant. Most of the time I went there one of the owners was on hand.

manders_01
04-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Actually, there has been a lot of news within the past year or two showing that people want healthier options at the ballpark. They'd probably go over very well.

Tamale carts?

My stomach is going to take a beating this season.

I've been on a huge tamale kick lately. This info makes me excited for my next trip to The Cell. :D:

GoGoCrede
04-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Cheesecake sandwich, what's that?

Something I'm going to need to sample immediately.

I've been on a huge tamale kick lately. This info makes me excited for my next trip to The Cell. :D:

Agreed, can't wait. Although I rarely get anything other than a hot dog.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Actually, there has been a lot of news within the past year or two showing that people want healthier options at the ballpark. They'd probably go over very well.

Minor league park up here - the one that hosted Adam Richman to take on its burger - does a fan vote every off season on new food items. Vegetables and hummus won the vote this year (over a 5000-calorie spaghetti dish).