PDA

View Full Version : good Sox bar for Friday's season opener?

BainesHOF
03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for a bar that will ABSOLUTELY be playing the Sox TV audio even though the Cubs game will be on at the same time.

Thanks!

doublem23
03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for a bar that will ABSOLUTELY be playing the Sox TV audio even though the Cubs game will be on at the same time.

Thanks!

North Side - Celtic Crown, Western & Cullom... They're very Sox-friendly, even if the game's not on, just ask and they will put it on for you.

South Side - Cork & Kerry at the Park

BainesHOF
03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking for a sure thing. It's my girlfriend's birthday and we, along with some friends, want to watch the game in a Sox-friendly bar. We definitely do not want to go to a place that will have the Cubs audio on.

doublem23
03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking for a sure thing. It's my girlfriend's birthday and we, along with some friends, want to watch the game in a Sox-friendly bar. We definitely do not want to go to a place that will have the Cubs audio on.

Oh, for a girlfriend's birthday, you can probably cross the Crown off your list, that was just a suggestion for a North Side place that's very pro-Sox in this bastion of Cubland, but it's not a place you'd want to take anyone really, it's kind of a little neighborhood dive.

Best bet might be something in Bridgeport like Cork & Kerry's, which I'm sure will have the game on and actually has a nice little sampling of bar food.

Might also look into Market, in the West Loop. KW's a minority owner still, I think.

Ron Karkovice
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Oh, for a girlfriend's birthday, you can probably cross the Crown off your list, that was just a suggestion for a North Side place that's very pro-Sox in this bastion of Cubland, but it's not a place you'd want to take anyone really, it's kind of a little neighborhood dive.

Best bet might be something in Bridgeport like Cork & Kerry's, which I'm sure will have the game on and actually has a nice little sampling of bar food.

Might also look into Market, in the West Loop. KW's a minority owner still, I think.

Market is very nice. That gets my vote if you are taking the GF. And if they don't have the game on, which they will on one of the tv's just ask.

BainesHOF
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Market is a possibility, though it doesn't look like the best place to relax and watch a game.

Keep the suggestions coming if you have any. We're really just looking for a comfortable place to hang out that has some big TVs and will switch to the Sox audio when the game starts.

skobabe8
03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Market is a possibility, though it doesn't look like the best place to relax and watch a game.

Kenny looked pretty comfortable there watching road games last year on that episode of 'The Club'.

kittle42
03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Ozzie Guillen's charity is hosting an even at Public House in the Loop. I shall be there with Hangar!

Foulke You
03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Ram Restaurant and Brewery in Rosemont is my favorite bar. I know it isn't within the city limits but it is close by the city. While I wouldn't call it a "Sox Bar" per se, they have been pretty much neutral since 2005 and always have the Sox game on TV. It's a mix of both groups of Chicago fans. It's a nice enough place to take a girl to, food is good, they make their own beers which are excellent, and they have a lot of HD screens. I can't guarantee the audio though but I'm going to get there early with my wife on Friday to lobby for it.:cool: It's a crapshoot on whether they will have Sox or Cubs audio there and a lot of times it depends on who is working that day. It's also located close to the Rosemont Blue Line Stop.

http://www.theram.com/illinois/rosemont.shtml

pdimas
03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Halligan's on Lincoln Ave. in Lincoln Park is a nice bar to watch Sox games as well. They show every Sox game there.

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Ozzie Guillen's charity is hosting an even at Public House in the Loop. I shall be there with Hangar!

www.publichousechicago.com (http://www.publichousechicago.com)

skobabe8
03-30-2011, 10:34 AM

After seeing their beer list and food menu, I want to go there for the opener. :gulp:

ewokpelts
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
After seeing their beer list and food menu, I want to go there for the opener. :gulp:good place. i've been there with the wife.

Jerko
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM

An even? :tongue:

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 11:05 AM

That's how he pronounces it.

kittle42
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

It's quite odd!

Gavin
03-30-2011, 12:37 PM

Go here and prepare to be surrounded by douchebags left and right. You've been warned.

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Go here and prepare to be surrounded by douchebags left and right. You've been warned.

You're just jealous that you arent a douchebag.

kittle42
03-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Definitely on a Thurs-Sat evening, but I seriously doubt that will be the case for a Sox game at 2pm on a Friday.

skobabe8
03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
You're just jealous that you arent a douchebag.

I am too. :cool:

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I am too. :cool:

Haha I see what you did there. Every guy should aspire to be at least 15% douchebag.

Gavin
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Definitely on a Thurs-Sat evening, but I seriously doubt that will be the case for a Sox game at 2pm on a Friday.

Dare you tempt the fates?

Ron Karkovice
03-30-2011, 03:08 PM

I smell a fight brewing between Gavin and Kittle at Publichouse on Friday...

kittle42
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM

I think I'll roll the dice on this one. The game will be over (or near over) once the happy hour crowd arrives.

BainesHOF
03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a charity cover charge at the Public House? You have to figure if it's a charity event that they're going to be raising money. A $10 cover would be one thing. A $50 cover would be something else. I emailed the bar, but haven't received a response yet.

manders_01
03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know if there's going to be a charity cover charge at the Public House? You have to figure if it's a charity event that they're going to be raising money. A $10 cover would be one thing. A $50 cover would be something else. I emailed the bar, but haven't received a response yet.

It doesn't mention one:

http://icandycreativeonline.com/premier/images/ozzie-full.jpg

DSpivack
03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Will Ozzie be there?

BainesHOF
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
A lot of online reviews slam the Public House.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any others.

kittle42
03-31-2011, 12:21 PM

And justifiably so. The only reason I am even going is because there is an official party/fundraiser for Ozzie's foundation. I figure it will be filled with Sox fans. It's well before the douchey crowd makes its way in during the evening hours. What's not to like?

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
the food's good. the beer's solid. crowd? not so hot.

kittle42
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
the food's good. the beer's solid. crowd? not so hot.

I am baffled by how I find myself defending this place, because I would never choose to go here on a regular weekend or post-work happy hour, but it's a 2:00 game start and is a party for a Sox game. I hardly thing the quality of the crowd will be an issue.

ewokpelts
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
I am baffled by how I find myself defending this place, because I would never choose to go here on a regular weekend or post-work happy hour, but it's a 2:00 game start and is a party for a Sox game. I hardly thing the quality of the crowd will be an issue.the same crowd that comes out after works can eaasily go here for lunch. so yeah, it COULD be a problem.

service was MEH when we went. but the food and beer selection will trump that hopefully. that and possibly wininng sox prizes

BainesHOF
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
The reviews slammed not only the Public House crowd, but it's staff and policies.

kittle42
03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
The reviews slammed not only the Public House crowd, but it's staff and policies.

I hate their "charge you for drinks and food" policy. I plan to test their "we refuse to serve you after you've thrown up on our floor" policy.

BainesHOF
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
LOL! The slams were actually pretty serious jag moves, like kicking people off their barstools and away from their tables to make room for VIPs or people with reservations. I know this won't be an issue Friday afternoon, but someone also said the doormen were making people wait outside in order to collect bribes. Bad attitudes by staff members were mentioned as well. And those are just some of the knocks on the joint. I don't think I've ever seen such bad reviews of a place.

That said, maybe it's still the place to go.

Here's the problem for any Sox fan looking to go to a bar for Friday's game. With the Cubs playing at 1 p.m. and the Sox at 2 p.m., most tables at decent places are going to be gone by the time the Cubs start. As far as places that are 50-50 regarding accommodating fans from both teams, there's no way those places are going to turn off the Cubs sound at 2 p.m. to put on the Sox sound. It's a shame that we as Sox fans don't have a few go-to places. It makes me want to open a Sox bar. I have the memorabilia and time. Who has the money?

kittle42
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's the problem for any Sox fan looking to go to a bar for Friday's game. With the Cubs playing at 1 p.m. and the Sox at 2 p.m., most tables at decent places are going to be gone by the time the Cubs start. As far as places that are 50-50 regarding accommodating fans from both teams, there's no way those places are going to turn off the Cubs sound at 2 p.m. to put on the Sox sound. It's a shame that we as Sox fans don't have a few go-to places. It makes me want to open a Sox bar. I have the memorabilia and time. Who has the money?

I have often said that if I ever became independently wealthy, I would buy a bar right by Wrigley Field, turn it into a Sox bar, and explicitly exclude all Cubs fans. I wouldn't care how much money it lost.

house215
03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
The only two true White Sox bars on the North Side that I have found are the Bob Inn and The Schoolyard.

vinny
03-31-2011, 04:35 PM

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any others.
Sky Ride Tap.

Seriously though, I might go there from work (Dearborn/Jackson). Or maybe Plymouth Bar.

ewokpelts
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
I won TWO prizes from the Guillen Foundation raffle:

Thornton Auto Ball

AND

Alexei game used bat.

I wasnt there for the numbers to be pulled, so they are sending them to me.

FielderJones
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I won TWO prizes from the Guillen Foundation raffle:

Thornton Auto Ball

AND

Alexei game used bat.

Is it a bat he used for bunting? If so, it's probably in really good shape. :tongue: