PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign Dexter Carter

JermaineDye05
03-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes, that (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/07/jake-peavy-to-white-sox.html) Dexter Carter

Link (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/03/white-sox-sign-dexter-carter.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

DirtySox
03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Saw this yesterday. Both Carter and Poreda's control went to **** after being traded to the Padres. Worth a shot to see if they can get him back to form, but dude is 24 already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's transitioned to a relief role.

Sargeant79
03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I remember really liking him prior to the Peavy trade, but he had an atrocious year last year. Looks like we sold high.

No problem taking a flyer on him, but he's going to need to take a big step forward this year to still be considered any kind of prospect. I don't think he's even cracked AA yet, has he?

JermaineDye05
03-26-2011, 05:23 PM
So far, it's looking like Gio was the one we should have held onto.

You could argue Hudson, but I'm not sold on him yet. He may pitch well in the NL, but he didn't show us that he could pitch in the AL when the pressure was on. Plus, we did actually get something back for him, whereas with Gio, we got Swish, who then got us Marquez. . .

DirtySox
03-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I remember really liking him prior to the Peavy trade, but he had an atrocious year last year. Looks like we sold high.

No problem taking a flyer on him, but he's going to need to take a big step forward this year to still be considered any kind of prospect. I don't think he's even cracked AA yet, has he?

Correct. He's pitched at High A, but was abysmal there.

cws05champ
03-26-2011, 06:55 PM

You could argue Hudson, but I'm not sold on him yet. He may pitch well in the NL, but he didn't show us that he could pitch in the AL when the pressure was on. Plus, we did actually get something back for him, whereas with Gio, we got Swish, who then got us Marquez. . .

Yeah, because he had much of a chance in his 15 IP in 2010. He had as couple bad starts with the which skewed his ERA high.

Games started:
2009:
Minnesota 9/21 5 IP 1ER
Detroit 9/27 6 IP 2ER

2010:
Kansas City 7/11 4IP 5ER
Seattle 7/19 6.2IP 1 ER
Oakland 7/25 5 IP 5ER

I just hate these blanket statements that he could not pitch in the AL or when the pressure was on. He was only 22 when he first came up in 2009. He wasn't given a chance with the Sox, plain and simple....and he was simply dominant in the minors. Nothing in his minor league numbers says that he could not pitch in the AL.

JermaineDye05
03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, because he had much of a chance in his 15 IP in 2010. He had as couple bad starts with the which skewed his ERA high.

Games started:
2009:
Minnesota 9/21 5 IP 1ER
Detroit 9/27 6 IP 2ER

2010:
Kansas City 7/11 4IP 5ER
Seattle 7/19 6.2IP 1 ER
Oakland 7/25 5 IP 5ER

I just hate these blanket statements that he could not pitch in the AL or when the pressure was on. He was only 22 when he first came up in 2009. He wasn't given a chance with the Sox, plain and simple....and he was simply dominant in the minors. Nothing in his minor league numbers says that he could not pitch in the AL.

He was given a chance, and he didn't do too hot, with exception to the one start in SEA. One thing worth noting, that's the only start with us where he went past 6 innings. You have to be able to go deeper into ballgames, otherwise you're going to wear down the bullpen.

DirtySox
03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
He was given a chance, and he didn't do too hot, with exception to the one start in SEA. One thing worth noting, that's the only start with us where he went past 6 innings. You have to be able to go deeper into ballgames, otherwise you're going to wear down the bullpen.

You have some pretty stringent requirements for rookie pitchers.

JermaineDye05
03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
You have some pretty stringent requirements for rookie pitchers.

When you're in a pennant race, yeah.

Had we started the year with Hudson in our rotation, it would have been a different story. As it stood though, Hudson was brought into the rotation in the middle of a pennant race and really didn't show the team enough to make them confident that they could win the division with him in the rotation.

The irony, of course, is that after the Sox traded for Jackson, who arguably became our best pitcher after joining the team, we still couldn't win the division.

Lip Man 1
03-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I thought I saw yesterday (maybe today) where the Sox picked up another pitcher. Can't remember his name but I think he was in the Royals organization.

Lip

A. Cavatica
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I thought I saw yesterday (maybe today) where the Sox picked up another pitcher. Can't remember his name but I think he was in the Royals organization.

Lip

Ugh, not that again.

JorgeFabregas
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM

This is not a great comparison. Gio hadn't proven anything at the big league level, either, when he was traded. He also struggled in his initial forays in the big leagues. There's almost no question that Hudson is legit. They're both quality big league pitchers.

The ex-Royal the Sox picked up was Gaby Hernandez http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42274693

Anyway, I like the resigning of Dex Carter.

Taliesinrk
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM

Had we started the year with Hudson in our rotation, it would have been a different story. As it stood though, Hudson was brought into the rotation in the middle of a pennant race and really didn't show the team enough to make them confident that they could win the division with him in the rotation.

The irony, of course, is that after the Sox traded for Jackson, who arguably became our best pitcher after joining the team, we still couldn't win the division.

What the **** are you talking about?

cws05champ
03-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Gio's 1st season with Oakland at age 22(same as Hudson when he came up):
34IP, 1-4 with a 7.68 ERA in 7 starts

The next year in 17 starts: 6-7 with a 5.75 ERA

Do you really think the Sox would have let Gio progress the way Oakland has had the luxury of doing?

A rookie is a rookie, whether you bring him up in early July or at the start of the season. You are going to have some inconsistent starts and growing pains. Not every pitcher comes up and is Steven Strausburg or Linceum. As it turned out Hudson just needed more of an adjustment period to the majors....which you saw at almost every level he pitched at, a small adjustment period then domination.

I'm not saying I think Hudson will be what he showed last year with Arizona, I think that's too much to ask. But it looks like he be a good #2/3 starter for years to come and he did not get a chance with the Sox.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
What the **** are you talking about?

Simply that the reason Hudson was on such a short leash was because the Sox were in the middle of a pennant race and felt more comfortable with an established veteran.

Domeshot17
03-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Simply that the reason Hudson was on such a short leash was because the Sox were in the middle of a pennant race and felt more comfortable with an established veteran.

We rolled the dice and probably lost, maybe broke even. We panic'd, dealt Hudson for Jackson, and missed the playoffs. If we don't resign Jackson, its probably a significant loss. As is, you could argue the fact that we ultimately dealt Hudson and a Closer for Jackson because of the salary.

I like Edwin Jackson, but it was simply the wrong move.

Not expecting much out of Carter, but you need guys to fill the minor league roster.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2011, 12:49 AM
We rolled the dice and probably lost, maybe broke even. We panic'd, dealt Hudson for Jackson, and missed the playoffs. If we don't resign Jackson, its probably a significant loss. As is, you could argue the fact that we ultimately dealt Hudson and a Closer for Jackson because of the salary.

I like Edwin Jackson, but it was simply the wrong move.

Not expecting much out of Carter, but you need guys to fill the minor league roster.

I'd say wait until the season is over to say that. If the Sox win the world series in 2011, then I would say it was 100% the right move.

Domeshot17
03-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I'd say wait until the season is over to say that. If the Sox win the world series in 2011, then I would say it was 100% the right move.

I can agree with that, but the idea Hudson as the 5 was hurting us more than Kotsay as the DH is a joke.

That said, if we miss the playoffs again, if the lack of a closer hurts and Hudson outpitches Jackson, its going to be very bad for Kenny.

This trade just has a chance to be a disastrous knee jerk reaction, similar to Swisher.

JermaineDye05
03-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I can agree with that, but the idea Hudson as the 5 was hurting us more than Kotsay as the DH is a joke.

Well, Kenny did try to address that. Unfortunately Manny turned out to be a joke.

rdivaldi
03-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Gio's 1st season with Oakland at age 22(same as Hudson when he came up):
34IP, 1-4 with a 7.68 ERA in 7 starts

The next year in 17 starts: 6-7 with a 5.75 ERA

Do you really think the Sox would have let Gio progress the way Oakland has had the luxury of doing?

Hahah. Gio would have been lambasted in the press and burned in effigy outside the stadium. I don't know when we'll ever have the luxury of letting a youngster take his lumps in the future. Rebuild is not in the White Sox dictionary anymore it seems.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2011, 12:53 PM
rdivaldi:

And that's a good thing in my opinion.

Lip

doublem23
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Hahah. Gio would have been lambasted in the press and burned in effigy outside the stadium. I don't know when we'll ever have the luxury of letting a youngster take his lumps in the future. Rebuild is not in the White Sox dictionary anymore it seems.

Rebuild also coincides with "losing." If Gio has another year like 2010, how much longer do you think he stays in Oakland before Beane ships him out?

delben91
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM

That said, if we miss the playoffs again, if the lack of a closer hurts and Hudson outpitches Jackson, its going to be very bad for Kenny.

This trade just has a chance to be a disastrous knee jerk reaction, similar to Swisher.

Remember, the idea was to trade for Jackson and flip him for Dunn. The Nats had agreed and then pulled out once the Sox got Jackson. So, the idea was to address Kotsay as DH. You can argue it's the Sox fault the Nats backed out, but I'd argue that at least the intent and thought processes were the right ones.

doublem23
03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Remember, the idea was to trade for Jackson and flip him for Dunn. The Nats had agreed and then pulled out once the Sox got Jackson. So, the idea was to address Kotsay as DH. You can argue it's the Sox fault the Nats backed out, but I'd argue that at least the intent and thought processes were the right ones.

Has that ever been proven to be anything more than a rumor?

delben91
03-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Tom Boswell wrote it up in the Washington Post a few months ago after conversations with the Nats front office.

EDIT: Here's the story (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121506833.html). See second page about 3 paragraphs from the bottom. I call that more than a rumor, but guess you could argue it is until Rizzo is quoted...depends on where you draw the line.

Tragg
03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Carter was the only pitcher I thought might develop into anything in the Peavy trade.

Now if only Peavy would develop into something.....

asindc
03-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Tom Boswell wrote it up in the Washington Post a few months ago after conversations with the Nats front office.

EDIT: Here's the story (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121506833.html). See second page about 3 paragraphs from the bottom. I call that more than a rumor, but guess you could argue it is until Rizzo is quoted...depends on where you draw the line.

Almost no one here treats it as a rumor, since it does explain a lot of other bizarre moves the Nats have made. There is much more to this story, but the gist of it is that it is believed that Kasten left because he felt restricted.

EMachine10
04-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Carter hasn't pitched for anybody this year. Is he injured to start the year?

JermaineDye05
04-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Carter hasn't pitched for anybody this year. Is he injured to start the year?

I was wondering about him too.

His status on MILB.com still has him on the Padres class A affiliated team with his status at released.

Link (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=488767)

DirtySox
04-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I was wondering about him too.

His status on MILB.com still has him on the Padres class A affiliated team with his status at released.

Link (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=488767)

He's in extended.

EMachine10
04-16-2011, 03:45 PM
He's in extended.
Great, thanks. Hopefully he can find his control again. Not sure what happened, but Poreda has walked more than he's K'd since going to San Diego, and Carter didn't fare too well, either.

DirtySox
04-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Great, thanks. Hopefully he can find his control again. Not sure what happened, but Poreda has walked more than he's K'd since going to San Diego, and Carter didn't fare too well, either.

They both fell off hard after the trade.

Dexter is on twitter if anyone wants to follow him.

http://twitter.com/#!/_dextah