PDA

View Full Version : Silva misses roster?

34rancher
03-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Damn, that's an expensive AAA guy.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-silva-doesnt-make-cubs-roster-20110326,0,6336277.story

DirtySox
03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Damn, that's an expensive AAA guy.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-silva-doesnt-make-cubs-roster-20110326,0,6336277.story

I think he can refuse the assignment. He will either be traded or released. Probably the latter.

34rancher
03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I think he can refuse the assignment. He will either be traded or released. Probably the latter.

Does he lose contract if released? I'm not up on the collective bargaining contract.

Boondock Saint
03-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Does he lose contract if released? I'm not up on the collective bargaining contract.

Nope.

34rancher
03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm stunned after 8-0 start last season they put him in AAA. Not gonna make playoffs, why not go for value? I know he's bad, but this is the north side.

DirtySox
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
Carlos silva ripped cubs pitching coach on way out (via @PWSullivan). Hope next time we see silva is on the biggest loser
2 minutes ago

cws05champ
03-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Let me see if I have this straight; You are overweight coming into the Spring, you suck for almost all of Spring training, you start a fight with a teammate on the 4th day of ST games and it is the pitching coaches fault. Got it!!

StillMissOzzie
03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Remember how the Cubs were chuckling when they "made" $7M on the Milton Bradley trade with the Mariners? Figures from Cot's:

Cubs: Dump Bradley and $21M owed for 2010-2011
Mariners:Dump Silva and $23M owed for 2010-2011, plus $9M cash

Cubs pick up $2M in add'l salary and get $9M in cash, for a $7M "profit"
Now, they are on the hook for Silva's $11.5M for 2011, so the $7M profit has turned into a hollow victory as that $11.5M gets them nothing.

Tough break, Cubbies!

SMO
:bandance::gulp:

Brewski
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
He did look great at the start of '10, didn't he? I bet he catches on somewhere and pitches well before the year is over. He did have his heart cateterized in mid-season, remember? How's Bradley doing, I don't follow him?

TomBradley72
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
How Hendry keeps his job is beyond me.

TheVulture
03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Let me see if I have this straight; You are overweight coming into the Spring, you suck for almost all of Spring training, you start a fight with a teammate on the 4th day of ST games and it is the pitching coaches fault. Got it!!

He doesn't seem to be blaming the pitching coach for his failure to make the team, rather his lack of candor regarding Silva's position with the organization. After reading Silva's comments in Sullivan's article in the trib, he actually sounds surprisingly reasonable to me. Still, I agree - he shouldn't have been surprised based on his own actions leading to this.

Tragg
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
They just did what a lot of people thought we should have done with MacDougal (actually we did it, but he refused assignment) or Teahen.

Frater Perdurabo
03-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Since no one has posted it yet...

Do you think Coop could fix him?

:tongue:

tstrike2000
03-26-2011, 06:10 PM
What I've seen of him this spring, looks like he's not concentrating enough on pitching and concentrating more on not missing the dinner buffet.

Viva Medias B's
03-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Since no one has posted it yet...

Do you think Coop could fix him?

:tongue:

Maybe if Coop keeps him away from the buffet line.

Taliesinrk
03-26-2011, 07:44 PM
My understanding is that with SEA paying the buyout and giving $3 mil/year (I think), the Cubs are "only" eating about $5 or $6 million with this move... obviously not good, but not $11.5 mil. either.

In fact, sounds similar to if the Sox released Teahen next year.

TDog
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM

My understanding is that if a player is granted free agency because he refuses a minor league assignment, he loses his contract. If he is simply released, he does not lose his contract, and any team signing himneed only pay the MLB minimum toward fulfilling his contract.

Taliesinrk
03-26-2011, 11:20 PM
My understanding is that if a player is granted free agency because he refuses a minor league assignment, he loses his contract. If he is simply released, he does not lose his contract, and any team signing himneed only pay the MLB minimum toward fulfilling his contract.

I am not sure, but I would think the refusing an assignment and its consequences may hinge on whether the player is signed to a major league contract vs. a minor league contract. If a minor league contract player refuses assignment, I would expect him to lose his contract. But, if the player has agreed to a major league deal, is this the case?

EDIT: otherwise, trouble-makers or grossly underperforming stars that are overpaid (e.g. Manny Ramirez toward the end of his last contract) could have just been "assigned" to the minors and the club who made the deal would have been able to get out of it if the player refused, right? Hell, if this were the case, the Cubs should have tried to assign a majority of their team to AAA.

doublem23
03-27-2011, 04:21 AM

Silva has a major league contract, the Cubs are still on the hook for every single cent they owe him, regardless of what happens.

Lip Man 1
03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Silva was released this morning by the Cubs according to the Tribune after his tirade yesterday.

Lip

DumpJerry
03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Silva has a major league contract, the Cubs are still on the hook for every single cent they owe him, regardless of what happens.
If someone picks him up, the new team pays the league minimum and the Cubs are on the hook for the remaining amount of the contract. This means Silva can be a pretty good deal for a team who needs to round out their rotation and is not considered a contender.

TDog
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Of course, the Cubs released him, and they are obligated to pay what they would have been obligated to pay him had he not been released. I don't know how much of his contract the Cubs were obligated to pay. If another team signs him, the Cubs are still obligated to pay him all but what the team that signs him pays him, that would be the MLB minimum. But if Silva's contract is coming from multiple teams, I'm not sure how that would be divided up. There are players active in baseball today who are being paid by three or four teams although they are playing for no more than one.

There are players with major league contracts who are playing in the minor leagues. Players with major league contracts can be optioned to the minors. There may be players who can't be optioned due to their contracts. There are limits to options regardless. Ultimately, it's a matter of contract law. The player contract works in the context of the collective bargaining agreement.

In the collective bargaining agreement, the players gained the right some years ago to refuse minor league assignments to become free agents, but by doing so they would be voiding their contracts. It was a right granted to the union after Bob Horner refused a AAA assignment about 30 years ago. Horner went directly to the Braves from Arizona State in 1978 without playing a day in the minors, going on to win the Rookie of the Year Award the same year he was named the third baseman on the all-tournament team for the College World Series. A couple of years later, Ted Turner tried to send him to Richmond, I believe. It was quite the controversy, during which Turner famously said he it wasn't like he was sending Horner to Vietnam. Ultimately, Horner was reinstated by the Braves but became one of the poster boys for collusion after his contract with the Braves ran out.

Now, every once in a while I see a player refusing a minor league assignment and being granted free agency. They aren't walking away from longterm contracts because, in consultation with their agents, they are acting in their best financial interests. Before being allowed to refuse assignment, they were bound to their teams unless granted a release by the team. If a team ends a relationship with a player, the team owes the player money. The player cannot demand pay for the remainder of a contract the player voids.

It's a moot point, however, because it doesn't apply to Carlos Silva. I was commenting in general terms anyway because I didn't have access to the details of his contract.

DumpJerry
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Of course, the Cubs released him, and they are obligated to pay what they would have been obligated to pay him had he not been released. I don't know how much of his contract the Cubs were obligated to pay. If another team signs him, the Cubs are still obligated to pay him all but what the team that signs him pays him, that would be the MLB minimum. But if Silva's contract is coming from multiple teams, I'm not sure how that would be divided up. There are players active in baseball today who are being paid by three or four teams although they are playing for no more than one.

There are players with major league contracts who are playing in the minor leagues. Players with major league contracts can be optioned to the minors. There may be players who can't be optioned due to their contracts. There are limits to options regardless. Ultimately, it's a matter of contract law. The player contract works in the context of the collective bargaining agreement.

In the collective bargaining agreement, the players gained the right some years ago to refuse minor league assignments to become free agents, but by doing so they would be voiding their contracts. It was a right granted to the union after Bob Horner refused a AAA assignment about 30 years ago. Horner went directly to the Braves from Arizona State in 1978 without playing a day in the minors, going on to win the Rookie of the Year Award the same year he was named the third baseman on the all-tournament team for the College World Series. A couple of years later, Ted Turner tried to send him to Richmond, I believe. It was quite the controversy, during which Turner famously said he it wasn't like he was sending Horner to Vietnam. Ultimately, Horner was reinstated by the Braves but became one of the poster boys for collusion after his contract with the Braves ran out.

Now, every once in a while I see a player refusing a minor league assignment and being granted free agency. They aren't walking away from longterm contracts because, in consultation with their agents, they are acting in their best financial interests. Before being allowed to refuse assignment, they were bound to their teams unless granted a release by the team. If a team ends a relationship with a player, the team owes the player money. The player cannot demand pay for the remainder of a contract the player voids.

It's a moot point, however, because it doesn't apply to Carlos Silva. I was commenting in general terms anyway because I didn't have access to the details of his contract.
Silva's contract is guaranteed. He is not required to accept a AAA assignment to get paid.

PeteWard
03-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Now Quade is ripping Silva through the media. Nice to see the North Side Amateur Clown Hour back on the air.

Ron Karkovice
03-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Now Quade is ripping Silva through the media. Nice to see the North Side Amateur Clown Hour back on the air.

I liked when Ozzie had nothing but nice things to say when Magglio left. Too soon?

Bob Roarman
03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Hahaha, yeah how in the blue hell are we to say anything about dysfunction in another team's front office and their players? Don't have to go back to Magglio for that with the Sox.

soltrain21
03-27-2011, 06:52 PM

We are really going to throw stones about how a player departs?

jdm2662
03-27-2011, 07:11 PM

What? Ozzie has never ripped on a departing player. He is always one classy individual.

Ron Karkovice
03-27-2011, 07:19 PM
What? Ozzie has never ripped on a departing player. He is always one classy individual.

More jokes! More jokes!

doublem23
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I am patiently waiting for the Mike Quade, Jr. Twitter rants.

Bucky F. Dent
03-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I am patiently waiting for the Mike Quade, Jr. Twitter rants.

LOL....beat me to it!

C-Dawg
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Which is funny because unless I misunderstood, Hendry was quoted on the radio a couple days earlier as saying "We have complete confidence in Silva. He always starts slowly in spring training but is ready to go out of the gate in April".

DrCrawdad
03-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Which is funny because unless I misunderstood, Hendry was quoted on the radio a couple days earlier as saying "We have complete confidence in Silva. He always starts slowly in spring training but is ready to go out of the gate in April".

Hahaha, yeah how in the blue hell are we to say anything about dysfunction in another team's front office and their players? Don't have to go back to Magglio for that with the Sox.

I liked when Ozzie had nothing but nice things to say when Magglio left. Too soon?

I seem to recall Cubbie Clowns sneering from their high horses about Ozzie's rants (such as when Magglio left) about how classless the Sox (and Sox fans) are for having such base emotional outbursts from Ozzie and how classy the Cubbies are for not acting as such. Now the Cubbie Clowns are lapping up (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2011/3/27/2075345/quade-and-hendry-rip-silva) the Mike Quade profanity laced outburst.

http://www.eucatastrophe.com/blog/wp-content/images/Hypocrite%21230x150.gif

g0g0
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quade said it was his decision 100% to get rid of Silva.

+1

Quade seems to have some balls and I for one am glad he's cleaning out underperforming, overweight prima donnas who won't help the team. I'm still a couple of years out from being excited about Cubs baseball again (once they dump some of the crappy contracts like Soriano).

doublem23
03-28-2011, 10:41 AM

This is maybe the best move he's made in years. I wish our GM would take a lesson on how to deal with our own dead weight players.

MisterB
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
This is maybe the best move he's made in years. I wish our GM would take a lesson on how to deal with our own dead weight players.

Cue doub's 158th "Teahen sucks" rant in 5...4...3...2...

RadioheadRocks
03-28-2011, 06:32 PM
I seem to recall Cubbie Clowns sneering from their high horses about Ozzie's rants (such as when Magglio left) about how classless the Sox (and Sox fans) are for having such base emotional outbursts from Ozzie and how classy the Cubbies are for not acting as such. Now the Cubbie Clowns are lapping up (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2011/3/27/2075345/quade-and-hendry-rip-silva) the Mike Quade profanity laced outburst.

http://www.eucatastrophe.com/blog/wp-content/images/Hypocrite%21230x150.gif

Scrub sheep are Exhibit A for "do as we say, not as we do".