PDA

View Full Version : Sox and the Media- Part 2

Foulke You
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Lip, nice job on both Sox and the Media articles. Both of them were an informative read. A couple of questions/comments:

Cubs Press Box Cheerleaders:
On the topic of the Cubs "cheerleaders" in the press box during the crosstown series that Cowley and Gonzalez alluded to. Do you know specifically who it was that got upset at the close play at home? Also, the Wrigley bleacher picture the Sox writers keep with the pasted heads...I can certainly picture a few local sports people in town openly cheering from the press box that could be on that picture. David Kaplan and Mark Giangreco come to mind. If you can't divulge your sources, I understand but my curiosity is peaked. :cool:

Rick Morrissey:
You don't have to wonder about Rick Morrissey's allegience. Like Telander, he grew up a Cubs fan. I don't have a specific source but I remember in previous articles where he has owned up to it. Rick's loyalty to the Cubs always comes out in his writing much like that article you mentioned where he poo pooed the Sox WS parade. In fact, as recently as last season it was Rick who once again ripped Sox fans for "only" having 33,000 per game during the Twins series calling it "weak". He ripped us again for "allowing" so many Twins fans in the ballpark. (Like we can stop them from buying tickets) Rick never has a problem though when Cardinals fans show up en masse at Wrigley every season, LOL. Overall, Morrissey is best to be ignored because he can't remain objective about baseball.

Thomas vs. Sosa coverage:
You covered a ton of stuff in your articles and I realize not everything could get in there. However, in addition to some of the stuff you mentioned like the Ligue coverage, "Dangerous" Bridgeport, white washing of the Wrigley murder, etc...There are a couple things that really irked me a lot in the last 10 years involving the Sox and the Media that didn't get a mention. First off was the disparity in the way Frank Thomas and Sammy Sosa were portrayed from 1998-2003. Sosa had a halo on his head and the way the media circled the wagons to protect his legacy during that time period was nothing short of astonishing. Frank Thomas on the other hand saw his reputation get smeared on a regular basis.

2003 Cubs vs. 2005 Sox coverage
This is another one that didn't make it into your article because it has probably faded from memory but I thought was worth mentioning. Sox fans were lectured at length in October 2003 by many local media outlets about NOT rooting for the Cubs during their NLCS run that year. We were portrayed as angry, bitter, sore losers who would refuse to enjoy the party of "America's Team" for no good reason. Apparently, it wasn't ok to be loyal to the White Sox. The general sentiment during that time was "How can anyone root against the Cubbies?". However, when 2005 rolled around and it was the Sox in the playoffs. We got articles from guys like Eric Kuselias openly rooting against us. The Tribune, Red Eye, and Sun Times had articles telling Cubs fans it was ok NOT to root for the Sox and that it was acceptable to be loyal to your team. We were only two years removed from these same media people who told Sox fans to rally around the Cubs. The bias was laughable.

Anyways Lip, I enjoyed the articles. It looks like you put a lot of work into it. If you have any other nuggets to share that didn't make it into the article, I'd love to hear them.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Foulke:

Always appreciate the kind words, it took over a month of work to put those together, do research, do interviews and so forth.

Gonzo and Joe didn't specifically mention names but they did say along the lines of the 'beat writers who cover the Cubs on a regular basis are Cub fans.'

Now for what it's worth Paul Sullivan told me in his interview with WSI he's a Sox fan and I've got his personal e-mail address and that has a Sox reference in it.

Foulke You
03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Foulke:

Always appreciate the kind words, it took over a month of work to put those together, do research, do interviews and so forth.

Gonzo and Joe didn't specifically mention names but they did say along the lines of the 'beat writers who cover the Cubs on a regular basis are Cub fans.'

Now for what it's worth Paul Sullivan told me in his interview with WSI he's a Sox fan and I've got his personal e-mail address and that has a Sox reference in it.
I believe this is accurate about Sullivan. I think he actually was in attendance on Disco Demolition night, if memory serves. As far as Cub beat writers, I remember Mike Kiley was pretty insufferable when he was still covering the "lovables" for the Sun Times. Gordon Wittenmeyer isn't much better.