PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Fired

duke of dorwood
07-05-2002, 10:59 AM
On the Score and ESPN before 11

duke of dorwood
07-05-2002, 11:01 AM
McFail makes Hendry GM according to score. Bruce Kim is manager according to Bruce Levine.

NUCatsFan
07-05-2002, 11:10 AM
ESPN.com finally posted something as well. However, ChicagoSports.com doesn't have anything. Funny how ESPN would report the news before the Tribune, the company that owns the freakin team, does.

Lucky_Boys143035
07-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Well thats one person who doesnt know how to handle a pitching staff... now all me we need to do is fire nardi and the chicago pitching woes are gone.

:JMstays
amen
:firenardi
amen

kermittheefrog
07-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Smooth move by the Cubbies. Can we please see a similar move on the south side?

oldcomiskey
07-05-2002, 11:44 AM
and just who replaces Manuel--Buck Showalter?

RedPinStripes
07-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
and just who replaces Manuel--Buck Showalter?

There are 2 guys I'd love to drag out of retirement.

Tom Kelly and Jim Leaeland. (I know i butchered his name.)

CerberusWG
07-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Showalter would be nice, but that's just a pipedream. We're goin to be with Manuel a few more years,

WhiteSoxWinner
07-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Maybe because it happened so close this time, Jerry will wake up and get a clue. It was nice to see him get off his a$$ and argue a call last night.

BTW, what is the record for managers fired in a season?

DrCrawdad
07-05-2002, 11:58 AM
So now will the Cubbie roll out their version of, "Can The Kids Play"?

RKMeibalane
07-05-2002, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Cubs fans are already touting Bruce Kim as the man who will lead their team to the 2003 World Series.

CerberusWG
07-05-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'm sure Cubs fans are already touting Bruce Kim as the man who will lead their team to the 2003 World Series.

Because he will, damnit!

CubKilla
07-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Didn't MacFail hire Kelly in Minnesota? Think the sCrUBS will pony up and go for a manager with WS credibility..... considering MAcFail is still the sCrUBS GM?

RedPinStripes
07-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Didn't MacFail hire Kelly in Minnesota? Think the sCrUBS will pony up and go for a manager with WS credibility..... considering MAcFail is still the sCrUBS GM?

I would be pissed if the scrubs got TK. :angry:

CubKilla
07-05-2002, 12:26 PM
Disregard my last post RPS. A friend just told me that Hendry is the sCrUBS new GM. So no Kelly.

CubKilla
07-05-2002, 12:31 PM
MacFail is new team President

foulkesfan11
07-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Can we fire Manuel now??? :firejerry

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2002, 02:31 PM
My question is a simple one.

"How does Andy MacFail hold on to his job?"

The Cubune treats this guy like he's some sort of baseball genius. Dopes like Morrissey and Rogers write about him as though he's the architect of a dynasty. Why isn't HIS neck on the line for any of his own messes.

Specifically...

1. He hired Ed Lynch, universally blamed for stupid GM moves by the Flubbies. In fact, MacFail was SUPPOSED TO BE Lynch's mentor. How did the student become so stupid, but not the teacher?

2. He fired Riggleman. Granted the guy sucked, but given what we now know about the true level of quality on that 1998 "wild card champion" team, Riggleman doesn't look like such a stooge, does he?

3. Through Lynch, he was the one who approved the hiring of Baylor. Why isn't he drawing heat for that choice? Baylor never did jack for the Flubs.

4. Has everyone forgotten MacFail's first choice for manager was Fightin' Phil Garner???? Now that would have been a quality choice, right? If Detroit didn't rush to hire him first, Garner would have been the Flubbie manager the past 3 seasons.

LMAO!!! Has this guy EVER done something right for the Cubune? Figures the geniuses inside Cubune Tower think the world of him. Maybe he makes their own incompetence stick out less? :smile:

As a Sox Fan, I'm glad they keep MacFail around. His presence guarantees plenty more Flubbie ineptitude for years to come.

:lynch&mcfail
"I'm here today to fire Ed Lynch and proclaim myself the genius behind everything good that has ever happened to the Cubs."

DrCrawdad
07-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"I'm here today to fire Ed Lynch and proclaim myself the genius behind everything good that has ever happened to the Cubs."

"Don't you just love my sweatervest?"

Soxheads
07-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Leyland.

I would love to see Eldred as a pitching coach someday.

Bisco Stu
07-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Leyland or a Bob Brenly type would be good.

Showalter? Too uptight and militaristic. That's so 20th Century.

Soxheads
07-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Leyland or a Bob Brenly type would be good.

Showalter? Too uptight and militaristic. That's so 20th Century.

I just have a bad feeling about managers who have come from Baseball Tonite.

oldcomiskey
07-05-2002, 03:51 PM
thats just the kind of man we need to manange this team though----oops ite not a team--but a bunch of players worried about how far they can hit the ball----Give me billy martin or earl weaver

Jerry_Manuel
07-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The choice of a new generation!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020705/capt.1025908936cubs_baylor_fired_axg102.jpg

Vsahajpal
07-05-2002, 11:36 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:gulp:

LongDistanceFan
07-05-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
haven't seen you around, esp when the inner city classic was playing............. tell us the truth who was your choice?

Vsahajpal
07-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
haven't seen you around, esp when the inner city classic was playing............. tell us the truth who was your choice?

My choice? To replace Baylor? I never really had a choice, I was just adamant about replacing Baylor. I like Bruce Kimm, I'd much rather have Paul Molitor though. What I'm really excited about is the promotion of Jim Hendry to GM. I love the guy!

ode to veeck
07-06-2002, 12:00 AM
baylor fired

we should be so lucky

Jerry_Manuel
07-06-2002, 12:01 AM
My choice? To replace Baylor? I never really had a choice, I was just adamant about replacing Baylor. I like Bruce Kimm, I'd much rather have Paul Molitor though. What I'm really excited about is the promotion of Jim Hendry to GM. I love the guy!

He wanted to know during the Cubs-Sox games who were you cheering for.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 12:04 AM

k you got me on this and as usual i wasn't very clr with my question :D:

you are one of the few cubbie fans i listen too........... (notice i didn't misspell cubs).......... i was ref your choice of winners in the inner city classic......... as i didn't know already. :)

Paul molitor?

Vsahajpal
07-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Yep, Molitor.

I was rooting for the Cubs naturally, 3-3 isn't bad, though it should've been 4-2.

Meh, one step closer to Lastings Milledge.

LongDistanceFan
07-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Yep, Molitor.

why?