PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famer wants players, not bodybuilders

Nick@Nite
07-05-2002, 04:21 AM
Pretty good statement by Rod Carew, in my opinion. I especially like the reference he made to the upper echelon hitters of today being able to hit 50-70 home runs.

Sosa, Bonds, McGuire... you guys listening? And if so, don't tell me about modern nutrition and facilities.

:smile: EFIL4XOSETIHW WHITESOX4LIFE :smile:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, July 4

Hall of Famer wants players, not bodybuilders

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Hall of Famer Rod Carew has called for random steroid testing of baseball players, the touchy subject of Senate hearings that is also weighing heavily in major league contract negotiations.

"If you want the fans to respect what's left of the game's pureness, you're going to have to start testing,'' Carew told the Los Angeles Times in Thursday's editions, weeks after former stars Jose Canseco and Ken Caminiti admitted using the muscle-building substances.

Carew said he first suspected anabolic steroid use in the early 1990s when he was batting instructor for the Anaheim Angels, However, he noted that no Angels players seemed to take the drugs.

"I started seeing more and more guys looking like bodybuilders and not baseball players,'' he said.

Carew said current high salaries drive players to break the rules.

"No one wants to be left behind,'' he said. "Especially when steroids will give an average player with no power an opportunity to easily hit 25-30 home runs. As for the superstar, well, they will hit 50 to 70.''

During his 19-year career in the majors, Carew won seven American League batting titles and had 3,053 hits -- but only 92 home runs.

"Just my forearms were big because I wanted to be able to fight off pitches inside and hit them for hits,'' said Carew, who ended his playing career in 1985 with the Angels.

"But during my day with the Angels, we had guys like Reggie Jackson and Brian Downing who were somewhat big, but they did it the right way and didn't take steroids.''

Former major league MVPs Canseco and Caminiti admitted weeks ago to taking steroids. The resulting controversy prompted Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to hold Senate subcommittee hearings and slowed labor negotiations between the players association and owners.

Carew said he doubts year-round, random testing will become a reality because of the strength of the union, which argues that such testing would violate player privacy.

Anabolic steroids elevate the body's testosterone, helping to increase muscle mass. Illegal in the United States unless prescribed by a doctor for medical reasons, their side effects in men range from cancer to heart and liver damage.

ISUSoxfan
07-05-2002, 05:47 AM
I never liked Carew much as a player, but I respect and agree with his assesment of the steroid situation.

LongDistanceFan
07-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I never liked Carew much as a player, but I respect and agree with his assesment of the steroid situation. what do you not like of him as a player...........

RKMeibalane
07-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Carew is "right on the money." Something needs to be done about the increased amount of steroid use, and it needs to be done sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, Major League Baseball is run by a complete idiot, better known as Alan H. "Bud" Selig.

ISUSoxfan
07-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what do you not like of him as a player...........
His slugging percentage was never much above his batting average. He got tons of hits, but unless he stole second or moved runners, his hits were no better than the walks that power hitters at his position were getting, like Eddie Murray. I didn't like when Carew started All-Star games instead of Murray. I will admit that Carew was a great hitter, I just didn't like his style. I do like his analysis of baseball's current sitation though.

doublem23
07-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan

His slugging percentage was never much above his batting average. He got tons of hits, but unless he stole second or moved runners, his hits were no better than the walks that power hitters at his position were getting, like Eddie Murray. I didn't like when Carew started All-Star games instead of Murray. I will admit that Carew was a great hitter, I just didn't like his style. I do like his analysis of baseball's current sitation though.

Uh................................................ ............................

****, I'll take someone with a career OBP of .393 and a Slugging percentage of .429 any day of the week.