PDA

View Full Version : Spring record

LITTLE NELL
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Losing again today, does it bother anybody but me that we have the 2nd worst record in MLB for spring training. I know Ozzie was not happy about the level of play 10 days ago.

Ron Karkovice
03-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Losing again today, does it bother anybody but me that we have the 2nd worst record in MLB for spring training. I know Ozzie was not happy about the level of play 10 days ago.

2011:
(9-15, 3-7 home) thus far

2005:
(14-18)

I am semi-annoyed, but in the larger scheme of things, its not a big deal.

guillensdisciple
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
uhhhh, our farm system kinda sucks and spring training does not matter.

So, I'm okay.

DirtySox
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Nope. Doesn't matter.

JermaineDye05
03-23-2011, 05:47 PM
No.

It's spring training.

We've been scoring lots lately. We just happen to lose because the pitchers that are brought in in the late innings are players that won't even sniff the majors.

sox1970
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Now that they are down to 27 players, I'm sure there's a little more emphasis on results and getting ready for the first game in 9 days, but wins and losses?...still don't care.

soltrain21
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

It bothers the ever living hell out of me. This team needs to be Chicago tougher. They need a little more grit. Basically we need Joe Crede back. I can't wait to boo them mercilessly at the home opening. Bunch of ****ing bums.

DumpJerry
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
They keep track of wins in Spring Training? I did not notice.

Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that last year the team that came in first in the Cactus League was the Indians and the team that came in last was the Rangers.

That's all I need to know about won-loss records in spring training.

LITTLE NELL
03-23-2011, 05:56 PM

They keep track of wins in Spring Training? I did not notice.

Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that last year the team that came in first in the Cactus League was the Indians and the team that came in last was the Rangers.

That's all I need to know about won-loss records in spring training.

Yeah, but when Ozzie's not happy, I'm not happy.

Lip Man 1
03-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Ozzie stated repeatedly this off season that the final week things would be different, no more Triple A pitchers, no more Double A outfielders. He was going with his regulars to get them in the correct frame of mind for the start of the season.

Friday marks the "one week to go" signpost.

We'll see if he keeps his word.

And yes Nell it bugs me the Sox fall all over themselves in spring training. I don't know why that is.

They need a good start this year from a mental and attendance stand point. Hopefully Ozzie's edict the final week will make the difference. With their April schedule, it better.

Lip

TomBradley72
03-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Nope.

Different stadiums, different competition, different players- zero correlation between exhibition games and the real season.

Daver
03-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Record means nothing till April comes.

soltrain21
03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Ozzie stated repeatedly this off season that the final week things would be different, no more Triple A pitchers, no more Double A outfielders. He was going with his regulars to get them in the correct frame of mind for the start of the season.

And yes Nell it bugs me the Sox fall all over themselves in spring training. I don't know why that is.

They need a good start this year from a mental and attendance stand point. Hopefully Ozzie's edict the final week will make the difference. With their April schedule, it better.

Lip

Because each player is working on their own, individual things to get ready and don't care about winning in Spring Training?

Cmon, Lip. You are feeling a-okay about Peavy but are worried about Spring Training records?

CHISOXFAN13
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Boston, Texas, the Yankees and Sox are all at least three games under .500. It means nada.+

fisk4ever
03-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I know it shouldn't matter, but a small dark cloud is forming because we are so far under .500. W-L doesn't matter to the other teams either, but most of them seem more competitive. We shall see.

Tragg
03-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Losing again today, does it bother anybody but me that we have the 2nd worst record in MLB for spring training.
Doesn't bother me.
I watched Sunday's game. Some pitcher who will be nowhere near the roster gave up a 3 run shot to lose the game (I assume won't be anywhere near the roster).

RadioheadRocks
03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Record means nothing till April comes.

This.

gregoriop
03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I was completely unaware of their record.

kufram
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Does it bother me? Yes, a little.... err, up until now. But I want the last week of ST to be the regulars playing as a unit and then maybe they can start the season in a winning attitude, even if it is over other team's scrubs, rather than try to find that attitude on opening day. I've never understood why that hasn't been the norm. But that's just me.

g0g0
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I view it the same as NFL preseason, which is to say not at all. I don't think the Sox have much to worry about, except for Peavy.

One week until Opening Day!!! :bandance:

Carolina Kenny
03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I would really like to see Humber beat down the Cubs today.
Also would like to see Lastings continue to progress and make the team.

Other than that stay healthy.

kobo
03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I was completely unaware of their record.
Same. I don't pay attention to wins and losses in spring training. As long as the guys are working on what they need to work on and improve week to week then I'm happy.

downstairs
03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
The record doesn't matter. All that matters is how the eventual players that will make the team are playing. By all accounts Ozzie is dissapointed, which I guess is a concern.

However, even with that said... I wait until the season starts to bother with anything.

TDog
03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
There are teams who put a great emphasis on winning in spring training. Often these are teams coming off of 90-plus/100-plus losing seasons and looking to gain some credibility in the eyes of fans. Spring training wins for second-division teams are easier to come by than regular season wins.

There are teams that win in spring training without putting an emphasis on winning. Often these are teams that have multiple players playing especially hard to make the final roster.

Teams that are pretty much set going into the spring exhibition games often don't win because players are getting in shape, working on a few things and, to a greater degree than in the regular season, avoiding injury.

Spring training is not unlike batting practice. Many fans go out to see players hit the ball out of the park, but if the offense struggles in the game, they will blame players for trying to hit the ball out of the park in batting practice instead of better preparing for the game that counts. With spring training exhibitions, people want to see their team win, and sometimes it seems the momentum of a winning spring is carried to a fast start.

But, if a team has a great spring record under the warm Arizona or Florida sun and gets off to a slow start in the regular season, fans will complain that they wasted too many of their wins in spring training.

I find watching spring exhibitions similar to watching batting practice, and the records mean absolutely nothing. If the White Sox were winning big, that wouldn't get me excited (even if I noticed). If the White Sox are mostly losing (as they apparently are), I wouldn't worry. At least no more than I would be worried if they were winning.

DaveFeelsRight
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Losing again today, does it bother anybody but me that we have the 2nd worst record in MLB for spring training.The Royals and Indians are ahead of us. That obviously means that their success will carry over into the regular season.

doublem23
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Well I'm convinced. Let's blow this team up.

LITTLE NELL
03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
There are teams who put a great emphasis on winning in spring training. Often these are teams coming off of 90-plus/100-plus losing seasons and looking to gain some credibility in the eyes of fans. Spring training wins for second-division teams are easier to come by than regular season wins.

There are teams that win in spring training without putting an emphasis on winning. Often these are teams that have multiple players playing especially hard to make the final roster.

Teams that are pretty much set going into the spring exhibition games often don't win because players are getting in shape, working on a few things and, to a greater degree than in the regular season, avoiding injury.

Spring training is not unlike batting practice. Many fans go out to see players hit the ball out of the park, but if the offense struggles in the game, they will blame players for trying to hit the ball out of the park in batting practice instead of better preparing for the game that counts. With spring training exhibitions, people want to see their team win, and sometimes it seems the momentum of a winning spring is carried to a fast start.

But, if a team has a great spring record under the warm Arizona or Florida sun and gets off to a slow start in the regular season, fans will complain that they wasted too many of their wins in spring training.

I find watching spring exhibitions similar to watching batting practice, and the records mean absolutely nothing. If the White Sox were winning big, that wouldn't get me excited (even if I noticed). If the White Sox are mostly losing (as they apparently are), I wouldn't worry. At least no more than I would be worried if they were winning.

I sort of remember 2000 (18-14) as being one of the better springs for the Sox as they hit the crap out of the ball in ST and it carried on to the regular season. I may be mistaken but I think it was the first time in franchise history that the Sox hit over 200 HRs in a season, 216 to be exact. Too bad the pitching broke down for the playoffs that year. That team was never out of 1st pace after April 19th.

chisoxfanatic
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Don't the Sox usually have a weak spring training? I'm not concerned...They'll get it together for the regular season.

Taliesinrk
03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
what I find interesting is that the Sox are near the top of the league in run differential, but almost have the worst record.

JB98
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Don't we have this thread every year?

Their won-loss record is always HORRIBLE in spring.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Tommorow is one week from the season starting. I'll be interested to see the lineup given Ozzie's comments this off season about how he intends to handle the final week of spring training.

Lip

Daver
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
lO9Ild2cvdg

A. Cavatica
03-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Lip

+1.

It doesn't matter one bit in the standings, but it has to make a difference psychologically. And if it doesn't -- if the players don't care about spring training record -- then are they going to able to turn it on like a light switch?

soltrain21
03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
+1.

It doesn't matter one bit in the standings, but it has to make a difference psychologically. And if it doesn't -- if the players don't care about spring training record -- then are they going to able to turn it on like a light switch?

Is it that hard to say "Well, this game matters." ...? These guys have been playing baseball for their entire lives. I'm sure they've figured out when to "turn on the light switch."

And if a player starts out slow it's not because they weren't "trying hard" in spring training.

TDog
03-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Is it that hard to say "Well, this game matters." ...? These guys have been playing baseball for their entire lives. I'm sure they've figured out when to "turn on the light switch."

And if a player starts out slow it's not because they weren't "trying hard" in spring training.

There are players who get off to great starts after having poor springs. There are players who get off to slow starts after having great springs. That actually happens a lot with players who play their way on to teams. I believe John "Pineapple" Matias got more spring exhibition hits for the 1970 White Sox than he did in his entire regular-season major league career. If he didn't, it was close.

russ99
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Wins don't matter, guys getting ready for the season matters. The only guy I'm concerned about being ready is Dunn, and he explained himself pretty well in the Sun-Times today.

I also like them playing a few night games in Arizona so the cold weather in Cleveland isn't a total shock.

twinslayer
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
No need for panic IMO. We have a solid group of guys this season. I'm still interested to see what April will bring, simply because the spring work has not turned into wins. However, the record does not matter, and the numbers coming out of a few guys impress me. Just be patient; I know we all need something to talk about before the season starts.

TomBradley72
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't care if we get outscored 100-0 this week (through Thursday) as long as we stay healthy. 2 games in AZ, 1 in Winston Salem- still exhibitions that man nothing, playing on fields we won't play on in the regular season, etc. We have a veteran club for the most part- they are focused on preparation for the season vs. meaningless wins against meaningless opponents in March.

#1swisher
03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Rongey 6-8pm spring training discussion

Listen 670 the score (http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.2.11091&station=391)