PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an evening job that prevents them from watching the Sox?

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I recently graduated from college and was just hired for the first full time job I've ever had. While I'm happy about this, I would be working afternoons and evenings Monday-Friday, meaning I will miss most Sox games. This will take some getting used to. Even these past four years while I was in college and working part time, I was still able to watch at least half of all Sox games.

Does anyone else have an afternoon/evening job that prevents them from watching Sox games? And if so, how do you deal with it? The easy answer is to get a DVR. But even if I did this, I doubt I would watch the entire game afterwards. And watching a replay of a game isn't the same as watching it as it happens. This seems like a silly problem to most people, but I know most of you can relate to how I feel. So how do you deal with not being able to watch your beloved White Sox?

Nellie_Fox
03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
I did for a long time, but when I was on 3-11 shift I was usually pushing a squad car, so I could just put the game on the car radio. I've never been able to enjoy watching a recorded game after it's over, even if I don't know the outcome. I still know it's not live and it's not the same.

soltrain21
03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
My schedule gets moved around from day shift to 2nd shift quite a bit. Right now I'm working 2-10 (but will probably move back to 10-6 in the next few months).

Luckily for me I work at a TV station - so I usually have the TV on my desk tuned into the game. I just sometimes can't pay as much attention to it as I'd like.

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 07:22 AM
I work overnights(10pm-6:30 am thurs-mon). I just deal with it. sometimes I'll watch a bit when i get up for work, or use gameday audio at work.

MISoxfan
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Missed the good part of '06 in Kuwait, caught the crappy part
Caught all of '07
Missed about half of '08 in Okinawa, mlb.tv was blacked out there
Missed all of '09 in Afghanistan
Missed all of '10 in Afghanistan
will miss all of '11 in Greece except for what I can catch on mlb.tv

I've missed a few games because of work

gogosox675
03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Gameday audio worked well for me at my job last year. The problem is that we close at 11 so I only get to hear maybe an inning or two. :(:

soxfan21
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I work a 4-midnight shift once every three months, so I try to catch the games I miss on the radio during theses months. I also try to schedule my break in do that I can watch at least part of the game on a tv.

manders_01
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
This is a bit off topic but I am actually going to be able to more watch games this season because of work. For the past three seasons, I have not been able to watch or listen to games at work (not because I couldn't get them, because I was "too disruptive" :redface:). So that meant no day games and sometimes the beginning of night games. I now work for myself at home. I'm watchin' all the day games! :cool:

HomeFish
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey, at least you're still in the area. I had to move to Washington DC for work and now all I can attend are Nationals games.

guillensdisciple
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey, at least you're still in the area. I had to move to Washington DC for work and now all I can attend are Nationals games.

Mercy on your soul :o:

LongLiveFisk
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I worked the second shift from '95 to '97, so I can relate. It helps if you can at least have a radio at your job. I tried to listen to the games as much as I could.

thomas35forever
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I missed a lot of the last month of '06 due to starting my first job at Jewel. It was a good thing I did, too. I don't think it would have gone over well with me.

Foulke You
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
The DVR is a lifesaver for me. I have no problem watching it on delay unless it is a big game like Opening Day, the Twins, Yankees, or Cubs. You get to skip commericals and pitching changes too. The real challenge can be staying away from the outcome of the game. I've trained my family and friends not to spoil the game for me with phone calls or text messages. I will stay away from sports radio as well. Most of the time, I'm able to make it home and turn on the game to enjoy it just as I would if I had gotten home at 7:10. Fortunately, my job doesn't overlap the Sox all the time.

GoGoCrede
03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I did for a long time, but when I was on 3-11 shift I was usually pushing a squad car, so I could just put the game on the car radio. I've never been able to enjoy watching a recorded game after it's over, even if I don't know the outcome. I still know it's not live and it's not the same.

Agreed. I often work nights, so I record the games I can't watch. But I just don't have the patience for watching a game that's already been played, especially if I know the outcome.

SOXYoose
03-23-2011, 11:41 PM
I set up my computer to stream big games like the Blackout playoff in 08. I am online enough or listening to sports radio so scores get spoiled. I do my best to make weekend games and take days off for special games. I feel your pain.

doublem23
03-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Agreed. I often work nights, so I record the games I can't watch. But I just don't have the patience for watching a game that's already been played, especially if I know the outcome.

The one nice thing about recording a game and watching it after the fact is that you can eliminate all the commercial breaks and pitching changes and breeze through a full game in about an hour.

Foulke You
03-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I would also like to add as a smart "Sox DVR Tip" to make sure you add an extra 2 to 3 hours extension to your recording to cover extra innings and rain delays.

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tips. I figured I wasn't the only one who has ever been in this situation. In my case it's just bad timing that I start this job right as baseball season is about to start.

Alot of people mentioned listening on the radio. My new job is at a health club and I will be working the front desk for now. So I can probably listen to the game. We also have a TV in the lobby, but it's kinda off in the distance so I don't know how well I would be able to follow the game that way. My manager said that after a while I will be working less at the front desk and working more with our adult fitness programs, so when that happens I will probably be out of luck when it comes to listening to the game. I'll also look into getting a DVR and give that a shot. A few people mentioned listening to the game on Gameday Audio. Does that cost anything?

EnglishChiSox
03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Gameday Audio is around $19.99, which isn't bad for a whole season.

ewokpelts
03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Gameday Audio is around $19.99, which isn't bad for a whole season.
the sox pride club is 34.95, and includes free gameday audio. just another option

Frontman
03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
My wife works evenings; and she'll catch what she can on the radio, and if the game is really good, I hit the record button on the DVR so she can watch it the next day.

However, with Comcast carrying the bulk of the Sox schedule, the DVR isn't needed as much as they tend to rebroadcast the games.

jdm2662
03-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I spent my teen and early 20s at Dominick's where I worked until 11/12 in the earlier days and 9/10 in my later days. I also worked pretty much all weekends and holidays. So, I missed most of the 93 playoffs. It also sucked during Bulls/Blackhawk playoffs. Of course, after 94, I boycotted baseball so missing baseball wasn't a big deal for me.

The next three jobs I worked in 24/7 enviornments. So, my shifts varied. Didn't always work at night, but at times did. Chicago sports in general kind of blew, so I didn't miss too much. I did miss games one and three of the 2005 ALDS and part of game two of the ALCS. I've had a M-F job since the end of 2006, and I don't miss my past jobs, that's for sure...

fram40
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
My wife works evenings; and she'll catch what she can on the radio, and if the game is really good, I hit the record button on the DVR so she can watch it the next day.

However, with Comcast carrying the bulk of the Sox schedule, the DVR isn't needed as much as they tend to rebroadcast the games.

if you have Comcast cable, almost all of the CSN games are available On Demand for 2 or 3 days.

rcescato
03-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I recently graduated from college and was just hired for the first full time job I've ever had. While I'm happy about this, I would be working afternoons and evenings Monday-Friday, meaning I will miss most Sox games. This will take some getting used to. Even these past four years while I was in college and working part time, I was still able to watch at least half of all Sox games.

Does anyone else have an afternoon/evening job that prevents them from watching Sox games? And if so, how do you deal with it? The easy answer is to get a DVR. But even if I did this, I doubt I would watch the entire game afterwards. And watching a replay of a game isn't the same as watching it as it happens. This seems like a silly problem to most people, but I know most of you can relate to how I feel. So how do you deal with not being able to watch your beloved White Sox?

I have had it all my life and week ends to. But that is what makes baseball great. its played everyday so u do get to watch a few games a week.

Chrisaway
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I will this year. I work 6-2am. DVR is my new best friend.

rockinrobin23
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I was a sox season tix holder for years, then had to move to salt lake city this year. I work nights now for ebay. The best option is to get an ipod touch, and the mlb at bat 2011 and watch the games on that. Thats what i have been doing this year works great.

SephClone89
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I was a sox season tix holder for years, then had to move to salt lake city this year. I work nights now for ebay. The best option is to get an ipod touch, and the mlb at bat 2011 and watch the games on that. Thats what i have been doing this year works great.

Yeah, but he'll be blocked out in Hammond.

Madvora
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Nothing at all wrong with watching games on the DVR. When I first started I felt a little weird about not watching the game live, but now I love being able to see a game that doesn't take up my whole life. There is so much down time in a baseball game it's unbelievable. You don't need to waste your time on all that crap.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I do. And it prevents me from attending games in my plan, too, sometimes.

chisoxfanatic
04-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I worked at Meijer during the summer and breaks to help put myself through college. Many times, I worked the 3 - 11:30 shift. All of us had department phones so that any other store worker could contact us at any time by dialing our department number. We also had customers who called into the store to ask about products in our departments. The guest service desk would transfer them to our phone. I would sometimes have my mom call me with updates to my store phone.

I worked at Linens N Things during the summer after graduating from college, as well as at nights my first semester of my teaching career until I moved out. They had a radio in the break room, which I would go to for updates.

soxfanreggie
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Can you make it to Baltimore when the Sox play there? I'm in Florida for just a bit longer, and I will be able to see a few Sox games when they play over in Tampa.

Soxaredabest
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Missed the good part of '06 in Kuwait, caught the crappy part
Caught all of '07
Missed about half of '08 in Okinawa, mlb.tv was blacked out there
Missed all of '09 in Afghanistan
Missed all of '10 in Afghanistan
will miss all of '11 in Greece except for what I can catch on mlb.tv

I've missed a few games because of work

Sir, your service and all that you do and all that you give up (including White Sox games) for this great country is greatly appreciated. Thank you for all that you do.