03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Top #5

1. Philadelphia Phillies
2. New York Yankees
3. Boston Red Sox
4. San Francisco Giants
5. Los Angeles Dodgers
:scratch:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-21/phillies-pass-yankees-red-sox-to-become-no-1-mlb-team-in-fan-loyalty.html

g0g0
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree with every one of those except Philly lol. I'm not sure who I would replace them with...St. Louis? I would put the Yankees #1. Hard to not be loyal when your team wins every other year.

cws05champ
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Dodgers....really??

If you count showing up in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th, yeah, they are loyal.

Hitmen77
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
So, the Phillies win back to back pennants, a WS championship, and now look like the team to beat in the NL.....and they've moved up to #1 in "most loyal fans". :?: I don't think the people who did this survey understand the definition of "loyal".

Oh, and the richest and 2nd richest teams in MLB where fans know their team will buy themselves deep into the playoffs time and again are the next most "loyal" fans. Ha ha ha!!!! That's great. :lol:

Fenway
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
So, the Phillies win back to back pennants, a WS championship, and now look like the team to beat in the NL.....and they've moved up to #1 in "most loyal fans". :?: I don't think the people who did this survey understand the definition of "loyal".

Oh, and the richest and 2nd richest teams in MLB where fans know their team will buy themselves deep into the playoffs time and again are the next most "loyal" fans. Ha ha ha!!!! That's great. :lol:

The Phillies 'rebirth' is very similar to what we saw in Cleveland 15 years ago - Citizens Bank Park changed everything as the Vet was just an awful place for baseball.

CHISOXFAN13
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
The Bulls and Hawks aren't top five in their respective leagues?

LOL.

Pure silliness.

asindc
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

That was my immediate thought when I saw the list. My second thought was that the writer of this piece probably thought he was practicing journalism when he wrote it.

soltrain21
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM

LOL.

Pure silliness.

Weren't the Hawks drawing like...3,000 people a game a few years ago? I know there are die hard Blackhawk fans out there, but to think of their entire "fanbase" as loyal is, well, laughable.

CHISOXFAN13
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Weren't the Hawks drawing like...3,000 people a game a few years ago? I know there are die hard Blackhawk fans out there, but to think of their entire "fanbase" as loyal is, well, laughable.

I'll give you that. A large part of the author's argument was capacity in the stadium, and nobody in the league is better than the Hawks in that regard.

As for the Bulls, they were selling out when Kornell David was on the roster.

LITTLE NELL
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Dodgers....really??

If you count showing up in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th, yeah, they are loyal.

My thoughts exactly.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM

NHL most loyal ( or just deluded ) fans belong to Toronto...every game sold out since 1946

No Cup since 1967 and they even haven't made it back to the finals since then.....St Louis hasn't been back to the finals since 1970 and their record in the finals is 0-12.

Patriots #1 in the NFL? :scratch: Sorry that belongs to that team in Wisconsin....

eriqjaffe
03-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Where are the Cubs?

russ99
03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
NHL most loyal ( or just deluded ) fans belong to Toronto...every game sold out since 1946

No Cup since 1967 and they even haven't made it back to the finals since then.....St Louis hasn't been back to the finals since 1970 and their record in the finals is 0-12.

Gotta put the Oilers up there too.

Vastly smaller metro area, much worse winters, and a pretty lousy team (lately) and they still sell out every game.

gobears1987
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Patriots #1 in the NFL? :scratch: Sorry that belongs to that team in Wisconsin....

Toronto may sell out every game, but so many of those tickets are corporate bought season tickets. That being said, they still would sell out because there are enough people out there who hate themselves enough to suffer through their games.

ewokpelts
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
st. louis was an expansion team in 1967. does that mean they went to three straight finals and lost all three?

Fenway
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
st. louis was an expansion team in 1967. does that mean they went to three straight finals and lost all three?

The NHL is their wisdom had the East meet West in the finals for the first 3 years and St Louis won all 3 times before they started the crossover middle rounds in 71. Montreal swept the Blues in 68-9 and Boston in 70.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_NHL_season#Format_change

gobears1987
03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

I think the original split was Original 6 in one division and the expansions in the other. The best expansion team would've been a bottom feeder amongst the Original 6.

The expansion team Cup drought ended with the Broad Street Bullies.

Fenway
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
The Blues had GREAT goaltending - Plante and Hall so they dominated the expansion division....

Then Wirtz moved the Hawks to the west starting in 71 figuring it would be easier to make the finals....which happened twice.

However there was the little matter of Club de Hockey Canadien in that last round...

doublem23
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM

LOL.

Pure silliness.

The Hawks weren't even an afterthought in this town until they magically got real good just a few years ago.

The Bulls? I agree, they were crap for the majority of a decade and were still a tough ticket to get.

Foulke You
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
The Bulls still drew sellouts years after the Jordan "afterglow" wore off. I don't even like football but the Bears fans deserve some love too. That stadium sells out every year and TV ratings and interest remain high no matter how awful the team has been.

Even though White Sox fans don't have the pure numbers of other fanbases, I find our group to be some of the most passionate fans on the planet. All one has to do is check out a postgame thread on this website after a tough loss to see how much we have invested in it. Then again, I am a tad biased. Good thing I'm on the right website for that. :cool:

Boondock Saint
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
What a load of ****.

guillensdisciple
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Royals?

PatK
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Gotta put the Oilers up there too.

Vastly smaller metro area, much worse winters, and a pretty lousy team (lately) and they still sell out every game.

Having visited a friend in Edmonton in the wintertime, that's about all there is to do. But I'm still surprised people leave their homes when it's that cold out.

GoGoCrede
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Dodgers....really??

To be fair, the traffic absolutely sucks when trying to leave a Dodgers game. :tongue: My parents and I left a Sox-Dodgers game early for that reason.

DSpivack
03-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Having visited a friend in Edmonton in the wintertime, that's about all there is to do. But I'm still surprised people leave their homes when it's that cold out.

I was there once, but it was in the summer. Really liked the city, was surprised at how cosmopolitan it felt.

soxfanreggie
03-25-2011, 08:43 AM

We're on the same wavelength here Fenway with Toronto and the Packers. When your season ticket wait list is like 150-200 years or more, yeah, that's loyalty...an obsession...whatever you want to call it - that's a fanbase!

PatK
03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I was there once, but it was in the summer. Really liked the city, was surprised at how cosmopolitan it felt.

That's what I've heard. Haven't had a chance to go during the summer.

Only reason I went in the winter was because my friend had tickets to a Blackhawks game.